QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

not particularly, i don't

QUESTION EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY: What subject do you know an unreasonable amount about?

Norse mythology and the early 90s grunge music.

ask me about chickens

ask me about chickens

When's the best time to breed your hens?

linguistics in general. ugh language

QUESTION EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY-ONE: What system of magic do you like best?

Tie between Harry Potter verse and the Old Kingdom/Abhorsen verse. The latter is particularly awesome because its very runic based and has all these intricate rules. I dont really have a favorite wrt video games.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When's the best time to breed your hens?

if you're doing it yourself with an incubator, early spring is best because when you move them out of your house, it'll still be summer and you won't have to worry about them getting too cold while they're still young

if you wanted the hens to do it themselves, you don't actually get to choose, fun fact! hens decide on their own when they want to go broody and raise eggs into chicks. it's really uncommon, tho, and most hens won't ever want to raise babies, they just lay the egg and ditch it.

(they're most likely to do this in spring and summer, if they do, though)

Edited by Specta

if you're doing it yourself with an incubator, early spring is best because when you move them out of your house, it'll still be summer and you won't have to worry about them getting too cold while they're still young

if you wanted the hens to do it themselves, you don't actually get to choose, fun fact! hens decide on their own when they want to go broody and raise eggs into chicks. it's really uncommon, tho, and most hens won't ever want to raise babies, they just lay the egg and ditch it.

(they're most likely to do this in spring and summer, if they do, though)

wow that was surprisingly informative! I actually didnt know that hens tend to abandon their eggs even if they are fertilized. (i dont raise chickens, but i know someone who does)

wow that was surprisingly informative! I actually didnt know that hens tend to abandon their eggs even if they are fertilized. (i dont raise chickens, but i know someone who does)

isn't it odd? they'll even eat the eggs themselves sometimes if they need calcium!

The Suikoden series has a great magic system (not Tierkries). The runes are totally awesome.

The Malazan series has a great magic "system." It's not all rigorously explained technically, but it's cool. The warrens have planes of existence with independent worlds, and some warrens have a tarot-like hierarchy of rankings which fluctuate (the tarot equivalent is called the deck of dragons).

Bakker's Earwa series has really great magic. I've become somewhat disenchanted with the series in the past few years, but I think magic in the series is very cool. All sorcerers are damned to hell when they die (with exception that comes to mind). There are 3 major types of schools (I don't know of any others):

-Anagogic sorcerers somehow use the power of metaphor to use their spells.

-Gnostic sorcerers are far more powerful, and use direct knowledge, logic and abstraction. The current Gnostic sorcery school that mostly shows up in the books is called the Mandate, and their Mandate is to save the world from the consult, which is evil and shit. Since they are sorcerers who are damned to hell, while the consult seeks to seal the world from the outside and prevent their own damnation, the mandate slogan is "Though You Lose Your Soul, You Shall Win the World," an inversion of a biblical quote. The mandate sorcerers dream dreams imparted by their founder of the time of the apocalypse brought by the consult that nearly destroyed humanity, which the founder lived through.

-There's something called the "Psukhe" which uses emotion. The psukhe sorcerers in the series are all blind. They worship a solitary god, and they don't possess the mark which marks other sorcerers (maybe they aren't damned, I'm not sure).

Edited by Sane Young Dog Man

The Malazan series has a great magic "system." It's not all rigorously explained technically, but it's cool. The warrens have planes of existence with independent worlds, and some warrens have a tarot-like hierarchy of rankings which fluctuate (the tarot equivalent is called the deck of dragons).

Honorable mention to this. The tarot dimensions aspect was awesome.

I wanna say Anathem, but I'm hesitant to even call that a magic system at all.

The system in the Old Kingdom books was good, I remember liking the system in Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles, I appreciate the systems in Young Wizards and Circle of Magic.

Bold is the fully sick systems.

I feel like I'm missing a thing but I can't think of it right now.

WAIT I GOT IT

Tower of God's world has a magical fluid in place of air (of densities varying by Floor: anywhere from thin as air to actively restricting movement). People breathe it and all, but sensing and manipulating it is also the foundation for every magical technique in the entire comic (and much else, as well).

Probably the best of the lot.

it was fucking tickling me yesterday

and i still haven't figured out what thing i was thinking

so i'm going to be mad and abstain from the question

QUESTION EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY-TWO: What system of Magic do you like best?