Opinions on Knights?

kantoorfarina

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE6: So far, Bors is a terrible unit and I haven't heard great things about Barth or Wendy either.

FE7: Oswin is an amazing unit. He tanks everything and deals great damage. His availability and starting level and bases are great too.

FE8: Gilliam is pretty good, not as good as Oswin was but decent and I heard Amelia makes a great General but I never used her before.

FE10: From what I've played, my only armoured knight was Meg and she wasn't very good at all.

FE13: I've always ended up forgetting about Kellam and he went to the bench. For postgame, Kjelle usually ends up as a good unit, but I prefer promoting her to Great Knight after her supports with Sully.

I've heard great things about Effie so I'm looking forward to trying her out.

Meg isn't great, Brom does his job until he joins Ike's group, but Gatrie is pretty damn awesome, hell Taruneo is pretty cool for when he exists.

Problem with Knights is that:

A) Lengthier maps are not practical for them at all. FE6 is a good example of a game with a lot of these.

B) Paladins/Heroes/Warriors etc... can usually "tank" just fine.

C) Often have awful speed which just cancels out any durability advantage over the former. Or they either have mediocre offence (which can go hand in hand). One of the two.

Put those together and they're usually redundant.

Any of those are fixable though. And in some games/units they are. Effie doesn't seem to suffer from any of them and neither does FE10 Gatrie. Well. aside from 'B'. Plenty of units are 'tanky' in FE10, it's just that Gatrie just happens to have good offence too. And Tellius movement is kinder to armors than other games.

But when enemies are stronger or have a lot of accuracy (so you can't "dodge tank" them) knights can be good. Assuming they also have stats.

There's so much criteria for them to be good, thinking about it.

Edited by DLuna

I don't understand why they don't just give knights 5 move already, it's a big nerf on a class that is pretty mediocre to begin with.

Because having every member of the cast be exactly the same is not the goal. If every character in the game was a Cavalier with identical stats, no doubt the game would be more "balanced", but it would come at the cost of removing any variety among units and totally eliminating the element of player choice. Good balance is not just about different units having a similar overall power level, but having distinct strengths and weaknesses.

Because having every member of the cast be exactly the same is not the goal. If every character in the game was a Cavalier with identical stats, no doubt the game would be more "balanced", but it would come at the cost of removing any variety among units and totally eliminating the element of player choice. Good balance is not just about different units having a similar overall power level, but having distinct strengths and weaknesses.

Knights would still be distinct as units, I think you can change qualities of a unit type without them losing their core aspects. Knights having 4 movement just makes them go from mediocre to (arguably) the worst class in the game.

The purpose of knights is to act as a meatshield. They don't need a high move stat to do that.

Rather than implement meaningless buffs, they need to be made better at their job.

For me they're those units I want to like but aren't usually too good without babying/favouring. They hit hard but don't avoid, are slow, and get annihilated by mages most of the time making walling trickier, so I find myself not using them much.

I wouldn't mind if only knights got their movement buffed to 5 and General simply didn't gain any on promotion. Movement discrimination is far more significant for unpromoted units. Another way to help their mobility (and all other infantry's mobility) is to re-implement rescuing and allow the passenger to initiate as well, just like Pair Up.

I also think armor classes could do with percentage-based damage reduction. If they negated say 20% of all damage from physical attacks (outside of effective weapons) they'd be less directly screwed by the attack speed mechanic.