Undertale

Cerbuirus

Well, I've done all three routes now (two, technically. Can't beat the final boss on Genocide route, but I know what happens afterwards), so I'll list my thoughts in a spoiler tag

[spoiler=Spoilers]I think I'm in the minority when I say that the game is good, but that's it: good. I found the characters enjoyable, but lacking in the depth department (exceptions being Sans and, to a lesser extent, Flowey/Asriel). They sort of... got stale after a while. Sans is probably one of my favourite characters of all-time, due to how much there is to find about him (awareness of Flowey's intentions, the time-travelling caused by determination, the existence [or lack thereof] of Gaster. The line "I can't afford not to care any more" during his fight really stuck with me). I'm mentioning Flowey only because he is quite literally the only video game character that has ever made me uncomfortable. Those who have experienced the Neutral Ending, you know what I mean. Witnessing that at 1:30AM was probably not my brightest idea. True Laboratory also gave me shivers (and made me dislike Alphys)

The presentation and music are both phenomenal, and I really do hope UnderTale's OST is nominated as one of the best soundtracks of 2015. It's that good. Context-wise, they also set the atmosphere really well; Death by Glamour (the piece that plays when fighting Mettaton EX), for example, really set the atmosphere for the entire fight. The amount of secrets in this game is astounding, too. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay, but I think that's just me having slow reactions and a lack of Bullet Hell experience (it took me roughly 40 tries before I beat Undyne the Undying). The time it took before you could advance on the Genocide route--the amount of monsters you had to kill--didn't help with this, either

Basically, the game didn't resonate with me as much as it did for other people. Like I said, the game certainly had its moments, but otherwise it just felt like another turn-based RPG with humorous writing. But, saying that, I think the game's worth the price tag, myself. UnderTale offers an experience you won't get from any other game right now. Is that a good thing? That's up to you. Most would say yes

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I have a question about Temmies. Hopefully someone will know.

I've only gotten into battle with Temmie on the screen up from the Temmie village, before I was able to reach the village. I think this happens normally. Naturally, this means I haven't been able to purchase temmie flakes in time to feed a temmie in battle. Has anyone ever found another temmie in a random battle and been able to feed it temmie flakes?

I've only gotten into battle with Temmie on the screen up from the Temmie village, before I was able to reach the village. I think this happens normally. Naturally, this means I haven't been able to purchase temmie flakes in time to feed a temmie in battle. Has anyone ever found another temmie in a random battle and been able to feed it temmie flakes?

I've seen playthroughs of people encountering Temmie in a random battle after getting the Temmie flakes. Temmie's can spawn more than once. It's all about spawn chance.

Edited by carefreejules

I've managed to get in the battle and offer them to it, but I said no. And you should totally do that what happens is great.

I advocate flexing at Temmies, just to be sure they don't get to do the trample move with the ridic-huge legs. Then if you exposed Aaron to Spooktune, you can just shoo him away

Holy bad edit, CoolSkeleton

Edited by Rehab

I think the reason i highly, highly dislike Burgerpants, is because i go very far out of my way to avoid people like that in real life. Constant negativity and a jaded viewpoint(s) not only bring me down, but hella pisses me off. I honestly cannot stand that character.

Well, I've done all three routes now (two, technically. Can't beat the final boss on Genocide route, but I know what happens afterwards), so I'll list my thoughts in a spoiler tag

~Stuff~

I think its fair if the game didnt get you as much as it got to other people.

[spoiler=The Thing About Genocide Run]

Its repetitiveness and grueling/time consuming nature is intentional. It supposed to be like that. Its a meta jab at completionism in video games, as well as opening up discussion as to the OP nature of an RPG protagonist. The game is literally asking you if its worth spending all that time grinding in the end. When all you are doing is eradicating the inhabitants of the game world, including the most powerful entities in it. Its actually a pretty brilliant piece of meta entertainment, but i could never ever do it myself. But yeah, it is supposed to be tedious.

Why exactly do you want to do a Genocide run? If it's "I want to see all the endings and differences", be warned, the Genocide route is filled with deconstructions of a Completionist mindset, the entire message of the route is basically "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Yep.

I think its fair if the game didnt get you as much as it got to other people.

[spoiler=The Thing About Genocide Run]

Its repetitiveness and grueling/time consuming nature is intentional. It supposed to be like that. Its a meta jab at completionism in video games, as well as opening up discussion as to the OP nature of an RPG protagonist. The game is literally asking you if its worth spending all that time grinding in the end. When all you are doing is eradicating the inhabitants of the game world, including the most powerful entities in it. Its actually a pretty brilliant piece of meta entertainment, but i could never ever do it myself. But yeah, it is supposed to be tedious.

[spoiler=Genocide spoilers]Yeah, I suppose that's a way of looking at it. I appreciate the game giving you the option of being the antagonist, too. I mean, the line "The heroine appears" I imagine made a lot of people realise what kind of person Frisk (or Chara) is

[spoiler=Genocide spoilers]Yeah, I suppose that's a way of looking at it. I appreciate the game giving you the option of being the antagonist, too. I mean, the line "The heroine appears" I imagine made a lot of people realise what kind of person Frisk (or Chara) is

[spoiler=Also...]

How a Genocide does leave a huge permanent mark on your game. Unless you go into the game's actual folders and files, and delete every file in the save folder, you will never be able to get the True Pacifist ending again. It sticks there, reminding you that you went out of your way to murder every character you came across. A constant reminder that once you played the Big Bad. Ouch. (if you complete said run, that is)

Game really doesnt want you to do that kind of run, but lets you anyway.

I think this is my favorite song in the game:

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

[spoiler=Also...]

How a Genocide does leave a huge permanent mark on your game. Unless you go into the game's actual folders and files, and delete every file in the save folder, you will never be able to get the True Pacifist ending again. It sticks there, reminding you that you went out of your way to murder every character you came across. A constant reminder that once you played the Big Bad. Ouch. (if you complete said run, that is)

Game really doesnt want you to do that kind of run, but lets you anyway.

I think this is my favorite song in the game:

Alphys's theme doesn't hold a candle up to this theme though... :(

So, I just finished the True Pacifist Route. I guess that means Genocide Route is next.

I'm having reservations about doing the Genocide Route. I don't think I have it in me to kill Papyrus.

[spoiler={option}]

I just watched a video of someone doing it. I don't think I can do it either. This one person uploaded this 5-hour long video that's entirely him trying to beat Sans. Also the ending is just...creepy as hell. The game will crash and when you open it again, it just plays creepy music for 10 minutes before something happens.

Edited by InsaneNoire

I'm currently by the lab (after fighting Undyne) and so far I love the game's world and it's characters to no end! The music's excellent as well. But I hate the battle. It's different than traditional JRPGs, it's interesting and funny at times, but it's a drag to me. Guess bullet hells were never my thing. D:

Sans is giving me a bad time. The furthest I've gotten is when he tells you that if you keep this up, he'll be forced to use his special attack, by which point I've already eaten all of my food. I don't want to give up, but if I continue to fight Sans over and over, then that just proves the game's point about the player doing what they are doing just because they can, and not because they have any incentive to do so, regardless of what happens as a result.

Man, this game is really meta.

Edited by Carmine Sword

Sans is giving me a bad time. The furthest I've gotten is when he tells you that if you keep this up, he'll be forced to use his special attack, by which point I've already eaten all of my food. I don't want to give up, but if I continue to fight Sans over and over, then that just proves the game's point about the player doing what they are doing just because they can, and not because they have any incentive to do so, regardless of what happens as a result.

Man, this game is really meta.

His special attack is the last thing he does and it's...quite special to say the least.

Currently dying over and over again to Sans final attack that is actually capable of killing you. I think I could beat him if I had more than 1 healing item that gave more than 40 HP, but there's only 1 Steak, and I already ate the Snowman Pieces and Toriel's Pie.

If you mean the rotating lasers, you should stay as close to the center as possible and rotate around it. I recommend looking how to do it at youtube, it helped me get through that part. :V

The rest of his scripted attacks are really tame since you already know what will happen at a second try, even if they seem intimidating at first.

Also, you may want to max your HP when sans offers to spare you, if you haven't done so already. Also, make sure you go with at least 40 HP when facing sans' final attack, because the rotating lasers are nasty.

Rotating lasers? Shit, I haven't even seen that yet. I keep dying when the screen becomes really horizontally long and you have to move sinusoidally to dodge bones while they come at you really fast from the right side of the screen. I usually only have about 30-ish HP at the beginning of Sans' final wave of attacks since I'm always out of healing items by then.

I told myself that I wouldn't look up how to beat Sans or the Genocide ending on Youtube out of some weird sense of honor or something. It would feel more meaningful if I beat him on my own I guess.

Edited by Carmine Sword

I closed the game after I chose the "do not" option when Chara asks if Frisk wants to destroy the world.

Ha, didn't expect that, did you

you bastard

And then I reseted, only for Flowey to call me boring because I listened to his pleas. The good part of the genocide run is overkilling him until there is nothing left. =)

Man, I miss this game so badly.

Spoiler Tags: The Topic.

I actually felt terrible for Flowey when he suddenly revealed himself as Asriel and begged for mercy in Genocide.

On another note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the final hit on Sans, the assisted murder of Asgore, and the murder of Flowey as Frisk/our actions. What I mean is, we had no part in that. It was not us, the player, that did that. I fully believe that was entirely Chara's doing, not ours.

While you have no control over killing Asgore and Flowey, you do have to actively go out of your way to push the "Fight" icon a second time at the end of the fight with Sans to kill him, so I feel that Sans' death is on the player's hands.

Actually, what does happen if you don't hit the "Fight" icon a second time at the end of the fight with Sans? I can't check myself since I already saw the ending, and I'm not doing another Genocide Run again.

Edit:

If you mean the Fight press that actually hits him after his "final attack," I think that somehow manages to happen anyway? I assume think if you just sit there and don't press Fight during that then he just "sleeps" indefinitely, and there's nothing else to do but close the game, given you can only move the box the one way towards Fight. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody found some other little thing you can do, though.

I cobbled together a cranialcannon that the first human* possesses Frisk pretty early on in the Genocide run, yeah. Though I also like the idea that there's an uncomfortable unseen tug of war for control internally, where Frisk starts out scared and reacts abnormally under stress (like, "Fight or Flight? FIGHT OR FLIGHT!? UM!!! FIGHT!!!???") on meeting monsters who attack them, and some of their control slips away every time they kill even though they also regret it more as time goes on. And then by the end they're like "stooooooooop, holy shit take it baaaaaaack"

Though there's also some others spit-balling stuff like "maybe first human wasn't actually that bad, rather it's since actually you who determines whether they're evil," since even if you start a Bad Time run and get that "it's me, [name]!" mirror "dialogue" in Toriel's house, you can still abort the Bad Time run. That's a neat idea, too.

*Who I have a pathological need to directly refer to only as what I named them, Autumn, since I ended up liking how it fit so much

The thing that tipped the scales and allowed me to finally rationalize doing a Bad Time run in the first place was that I committed original sin looked up what happens if you go Pacifist after a Bad Time run, and then decided to mold that into a potential pretend sequel hook,** where the first and Frisk are struggling for "control of the soul." Which in my head leads to Frisk (such as they are) deciding to set out for parts unknown in the ending, to try to figure out what to do about their mass murderer headmate and (hopefully) avoid endangering their monster friends by getting them involved.

I just love how much the game enables this kind of speculation.

(Of course this can also be interpreted as me being The Actual Worst, having reset when everybody had a happy ending just to Bad Time it all to fuck. I will not deny this charge)

**To be sure, I'm not actually holding my breath for a sequel, because "actually love it as a wonderful self-contained experience," "assuming it's not at all in the cards," etc etc etc. Just having fun with the possibilities.

Edit another:

Soundtrack question:

Any of you guys know whether the song that plays when you have to tell Undyne... the truth... during the Alphys date made onto the soundtrack? I've been looking a little and all I can find is shifting the speed up on NGAHHHH! Or Thunder Spear, but there's also a pitch shift in the actual thing

Edited by Rehab

Nothing happens. You can only move the box toward the left, and if you stay still nothing else happens. So, yes, the only option is to kill sans

also

"With this amount of money, I will be able to show you more of Undertale's world and characters. Two ideas I have for this are:

- Comics

- Another game"

ANOTHER GAME

I hope he didn't change his mind.