Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

Jedi

Ah, I saw that too, but it removes so much of the atmosphere. I suppose I'll have to wait for a proper let's play, although I wonder how long that's going to take.

From the VERY little I've seen, it seems kind of sweet. Can't stand the protagonist's look though, and why does everyone call him nameless?

His Japanese name is "Nanashi", but you can give him a nickname. I actually didn't know he was called nameless, unless that's what "Nanashi" means.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His Japanese name is "Nanashi", but you can give him a nickname. I actually didn't know he was called nameless, unless that's what "Nanashi" means.

Yeah, that's what it means. I thought that was the nickname, so I'm horribly confused now, both by his looks and his name. Honestly it's giving me "Ow, the edge" vibes:

68a.jpg

Found a bit more by a worse streamer though, but the intro seems pretty solid and sets the atmosphere nicely; can't help but feel like. while I haven't played any Shin Megami Tensei game, Asahi feels a bit out of place with such a cheerful personality and cute anime look, but what do I know. I wonder how long time it'll take until a proper let's play shows up.

Edited by Thane

Yeah, that's what it means. I thought that was the nickname, so I'm horribly confused now, both by his looks and his name.

Found a bit more by a worse streamer though, but the intro seems pretty solid and sets the atmosphere nicely; can't help but feel like. while I haven't played any Shin Megami Tensei game, Asahi feels a bit out of place with such a cheerful personality and cute anime look, but what do I know. I wonder how long time it'll take until a proper let's play shows up.

Yeah, that's my concern with Dio's artwork. I miss Kaneko's human designs. However, I just hope that enough shit goes down during the plot that any "anime-ness" (what is a better word for that BTW?) that ghost Navarre and Asahi bring to the atmosphere is diluted out.

Edited by Leif

[spoiler=about asahi]Don't worry. She'll start suffering soon enough.

Wait, he is literally, really, truly called Nanashi ? How strange.

Here's what I know:

Smirk works differently in this game. You no longer get insane temporary stat boosts. Instead, Smirking will cause your next attack, whether it's physical or magical, to crit. Some attacks will have added effects when used during Smirk, too. Hama and Mudo spells will OHKO instead of just dealing damage if used while Smirking.

Fiends are confirmed to be way easier to obtain. The leaker I was following had posted his compendium which included David, Matador, the Four Riders, and Mother Harlot. He had them all before he even locked himself into the Peace route.

When you beat the game, you still get the option to reincarnate or start over completely. However, there's now a third option called "see another ending" (or something along those lines) that places you back to the route split so that you can choose a different ending if you want to.

There are definitely new skills in this game. However, the only one I've seen is Almighty Pleroma, and that was exclusive to a very, very special demon.

That's all I know of so far.

Good news everywhere here. Thanks man !

Yeah, that's my concern with Dio's artwork. I miss Kaneko's human designs. However, I just hope that enough shit goes

down during the plot that any "anime-ness" (what is a better word for that BTW?) that ghost Navarre and Asahi bring to the atmosphere is diluted out.

[spoiler=about asahi]Don't worry. She'll start suffering soon enough.

Stupidity, stupidity is a good word for that.

More seriously though, this is all I'm asking for.

By the by, i did something suprisingly smart, I spoiled myself on tvtropes. Awesome right ? Right ?

Sometime, even I am disapointed in myself, I wasn't even thinking. There wasn't much, and there's doubt it is true in the first place, but still.

Curiosity killed cat, but I dunno what brought it back again and and again.

Edited by B.Leu

Wait, he is literally, really, truly called Nanashi ? How strange.

Good news everywhere here. Thanks man !

Stupidity, stupidity is a good word for that.

More seriously though, this is all I'm asking for.

By the by, i did something suprisingly smart, I spoiled myself on tvtropes. Awesome right ? Right ?

Sometime, even I am disapointed in myself, I wasn't even thinking. There wasn't much, and there's doubt it is true in the first place, but still.

Curiosity killed cat, but I dunno what brought it back again and and again.

Without spoiling me, is the plot (or plot point) you spoiled yourself on TV Tropes more epic than SMTIV? The only thing that I didn't see coming during my play through of SMTIV was the Yamato Perpetual Reactor shenanigans. The rest I pretty much predicted.

Edited by Leif

Hm, I would've bought this game if I didn't have a final exam in a few days and had played Shin Megami Tensei before; I feel like starting out in Japanese is a bit too much, since I run the risk of having to look up way too much basic information.

Also, I just bought Hyrule Warriors; hell, I completely forgot about this game until recently, but I'm always interested in a potentially awesome RPG, awful-looking protagonist and all.

...I might cave in later though.

Edited by Thane

Without spoiling me, is the plot (or plot point) you spoiled yourself on TV Tropes more epic than SMTIV? The only thing that I didn't see coming during my play through of SMTIV was the Yamato Perpetual Reactor shenanigans. The rest I pretty much predicted.

Without spoiler ? No problem.

Like I said, there's really, really, not much on Tvtropes at all, it might be false, and they don't dwell too much into the details but..., without spoiling it, the plot points they're talking about, the only ones they talk about, they looks great. I have mixed feelings about some, some other straight 'WTF is this', but I have to admit; the thoughts of most of them are pretty surprising and awesome. Now just have to see how they bring them up.

Saying that it is superior to SMTIV, I wanna say yes for now. but I don't know nor have the game (Duh),so I can't really compare, but they seem to have put more effort compared to SMTIV.

Hm, I would've bought this game if I didn't have a final exam in a few days and had played Shin Megami Tensei before; I feel like starting out in Japanese is a bit too much, since I run the risk of having to look up way too much basic information.

Also, I just bought Hyrule Warriors; hell, I completely forgot about this game until recently, but I'm always interested in a potentially awesome RPG, awful-looking protagonist and all.

...I might cave in later though.

Join our side. We have Red-Eyes Homer Simpson's head in the game.

Now let's see how many people see what I'm referring to.

Edited by B.Leu

Yes I'd be wary of the SMT wiki for demon pages (Also Photo section there are a bunch of spoiler images), the Tvtropes page, 4chan (Note even the ones that aren't /v/ and /vg/ aren't safe), and even gamefaqs because they all have spoilers in them.

I myself have been spoiled on a lot of the game and I greatly appreciate it because it made me want the game more.

Just know it reveals a lot of interesting things about the original IV's plot as well. Which frankly it had to do as the FINAL story set in IV's universe.

Edited by JupiterKnight

I'm pumped for this game and I really hope we get an English release soon. Thank goodness that I'll have Fates to keep me entertained for a while.

I just hope it releases soon. I won't have time to play games if I start grad school next cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like SMT: Final is gonna have SWIMSUIT DLC~~~~~

[spoiler=pics]1456317337467.png1456317665446.png

It comes with the two demons pictured above, Mephistopheles and Cleopatra. I'd show the swimsuit pics, but I think these spoil enough already.

Yes. There will be some DLC involving a boss fight against Stephen. The rewards will be the Fiends respawning in their optional dungeon (Never respawn after being beaten otherwise) and the Reward of getting the Previous Protagonists as Demons a 2 level cap increase after beating the Fiends all together each time they respawn.

As for the Beach DLC.

It's just a dream. Mephisto is messing with them. Cleopatra is a separate dlc

That said Tir Na Nog the Land of Fairies does have a beach area in it along with an underground and forest area.

Not Strange Journey. Vending Machines can't be anything more than that. :Rei:

Note this is what I've heard from people who've played the incomplete dlc found on the cartridge. That said some of it like the Fiend respawn and the level cap increase are legit as En No Ozuno appears in the Fiends dungeon as the final fiend after doing it.

[spoiler=about the DLC]

Wow, by protagonists, do you mean the Demi-Fiend, Aleph, Strange Journey Hero, and Kazuya?!

When I've seen this, it was a complete mindblow for me.

Still wonder what they smoked to make him even more powerful than you-know-who.

Everyone's getting a chance to be that strong.

Not only is the level cap removed after beating En no Ozuno's DLC, but the fiends and random encounters in their dungeon all get significantly stronger with each respawn. Satan himself is 20 levels higher than that guy.

• 1 month later...

I honestly dunno which one I prefer. Apocalypse sounds much cooler, but FINAL is... well, it's the supposed to be the final of IV, no ?

i just discovered something, according to the wikia, Nanashi's initial design was much older and cooler, with his left arm fully covered (Robotic maybe ?). and with glasses. Badass ! With glasses ! How can people told themselves 'Oh no ! A 15 years old boy with a green, overdesigned jumpsuit, a crappy haircut and huge lips will make a much better protag !', especially in a SMT game, is beyong my, obviously limited, understanding.

Meh. :p

Edited by B.Leu

Apocalypse sounds like an obvious statement with the SMT title to be frank. Final sounded much more significant since its the Finale of the IV saga.

I have been checking Atlus's website everyday for info on this game so to hear that I will get to play it this summer made my day. I wonder if there will be a collectors set like SMT IV? Also I like the new name, but I was used to the old one.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse will be released Summer 2016 for NA.

Oh wow, I guess that's possibly be a flashback (or a could be a beginning scene) to show what happened to Tokyo in the Shin Megami Tensei IV plot? Apocalypse does sound way better since the story settings showed in the trailer does look like an actual chaotic Apocalypse made it happened in Tokyo.

Edited by King Marth 64

Well from my checking for preorders the release date in the US is 9/20, so it is releasing the last day of summer. At least that gives me the chance to save up the money for it after I buy TMS#FE.

Well from my checking for preorders the release date in the US is 9/20, so it is releasing the last day of summer. At least that gives me the chance to save up the money for it after I buy TMS#FE.

Although, it could be a placeholder date for the end of the quarter since "Summer" was announced by the publisher... It may end up coming out earlier than that, I think. I wouldn't mind September since, as you mentioned, TMS#FE as well as Zero Time Dilemma come out end of June.