Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

Jedi

Strength and Magic are worthless.

A magic build with some Luster Candy stacks makes everything a joke, and even without Luster Candy. Magic build makes the game really easy.

Strength is the only worthless stat honestly.

Also nice to see the Moon Phases back.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or am I getting a huge Beth vibe from Asahi? The guy in white, holding the spear reminds me of Zayin. The Nozomi look-a-like gives off Daleth vibes too, especially considering her eventual involvement with the fairies at the end of her side quest in SMTIV.

I bet this game is going to be a tribute to SMTII like SMTIV was to SMTI. SMT II was a direct sequel to SMT I, like this game will be to SMTIV. It will even explore the same themes that SMT II did.

Edited by Leif

Is it just me, or am I getting a huge Beth vibe from Asahi? The guy in white, holding the spear reminds me of Zayin. The Nozomi look-a-like gives off Daleth vibes too, especially considering her eventual involvement with the fairies at the end of her side quest in SMTIV.

I bet this game is going to be a tribute to SMTII like SMTIV was to SMTI. SMT II was a direct sequel to SMT I, like this game will be to SMTIV. It will even explore the same themes that SMT II did.

If we start in an arena and are named Hawk, i'm gonna just :P:

Edited by Jedi

If we start in an arena and are named Hawk, i'm gonna just :P:

Lol, but do you see where I am drawing these parallels? Asahi's has a blue dress, white hat, and black hair. It's pretty much copy-paste of Beth's color scheme and design. Nozomi has that cape modeled almost exactly after SMT I heroine and Daleth's. Dude with spear has a primarily white overcoat and he is rather tall and strong-looking. He has black hair too like Zayin. There's that boy in the yellow and brown jacket. He has white hair, so I don't see any character parallels there... If I were to hazard a guess, I would pick... Gimmel?

The strongest evidence for SMTIV Final being a tribute to SMT II is the theme of deicide. In SMT II Aleph was taking out deities right and left. The MC for SMTIV Final, though, looks more like Kazuya, the SMT I protagonist, than Aleph. This MC has the green jumpsuit and everything, like Kazuya did. Flynn reminds me of Aleph more with his long black hair.

A magic build with some Luster Candy stacks makes everything a joke, and even without Luster Candy. Magic build makes the game really easy.

I mean, I disagree somewhat. You do have to be cognizant of when and where you can and should learn which spells; that much forethought would trivialize any game in this genre.

Whoever mentioned Nozomi look a alike should know that I've heard they kept comparing her to Nozomi during the stream. It seems they were going out of their way to keep it a thinly veiled secret.

Plus since Dagda another fairy has a major role it's kinda natural that the girl who would become Lady Danu would serve as his opposite.

I mean, I disagree somewhat. You do have to be cognizant of when and where you can and should learn which spells; that much forethought would trivialize any game in this genre.

I dunno, I agree with Jedi, a magic build made the game almost too easy to me.

Though It look like DEX is the superior choice in the long run.

STR really seem to be the dumb stat of the game.

Lol, but do you see where I am drawing these parallels? Asahi's has a blue dress, white hat, and black hair. It's pretty much copy-paste of Beth's color scheme and design. Nozomi has that cape modeled almost exactly after SMT I heroine and Daleth's. Dude with spear has a primarily white overcoat and he is rather tall and strong-looking. He has black hair too like Zayin. There's that boy in the yellow and brown jacket. He has white hair, so I don't see any character parallels there... If I were to hazard a guess, I would pick... Gimmel?

The strongest evidence for SMTIV Final being a tribute to SMT II is the theme of deicide. In SMT II Aleph was taking out deities right and left. The MC for SMTIV Final, though, looks more like Kazuya, the SMT I protagonist, than Aleph. This MC has the green jumpsuit and everything, like Kazuya did. Flynn reminds me of Aleph more with his long black hair.

You have no idea just how much nerdgasm I'm having by reading those name. No seriously, it is very pleasing !

Just like looking at this awesome, awesome yellow head.

Edited by B.Leu

I've heard ideas for either one of the Bonten or the Buddha for the left. The right is likely Odin or maybe a greek god considering Mermaid and Medusa are members of the alliance.

Celtic is already covered by Dagda and Nozomi (Second Lady Danu) who are allied with the protagonist instead.

I dunno, I agree with Jedi, a magic build made the game almost too easy to me.

Though It look like DEX is the superior choice in the long run

Mag and Dex both work really well for some reason, I'm not sure why strength was a dump stat. Maybe to make up for SMT1 and 2 making the MC unable to magic at all.

Whoa that battle theme ROCKS.

I was worried they wouldn't be able to stand to IV's ost, but this is a good start.

Bits of the tune remind me of Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Golden Sun.

Edited by Jedi

Whoa that battle theme ROCKS.

I was worried they wouldn't be able to stand to IV's ost, but this is a good start.

Bits of the tune remind me of Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Golden Sun.

I agree of this one ! I really like it.

Remind me pleasantly of SMT2 too like SMTIV, but that's an obvious given.

Edited by B.Leu

Mag and Dex both work really well for some reason, I'm not sure why strength was a dump stat. Maybe to make up for SMT1 and 2 making the MC unable to magic at all.

Its kinda dumb since STR only have half the effect to Physical Skills and full effect to NORMAL attacks. Theres barely weapons worth using in the entire game, and that super special awesome high STR sword is garbage as fuck

I purposefully made my MC an STR/LCK hybrid anyway but knowing how shit works in that game really breaks it. I remember I don't even updated my Demon inventory since my Single Target AMPED Seiryu could kill any mob and deal massive damage to bosses starting from Mid game, and when he drops off you already have methods to make overpowered Demons with the low level Add-on trick on Apsaras/Erthys/Alice or make Kohryu and Demonee-Ho or something

Regardles everything after Medusa and Minotaurus was a joke, except for the world map. Fuck the world map

Yeah. Atlus RPGs tend to have a steep learning curve, but SMT IV takes it to a whole new level. Naraku is extremely stressful and difficult for new players (or people who just came from Persona) because you lack the demons and apps that make the game livable. But that tension doesn't last into Tokyo where it's replaced with "WheredoIgowhatdoIdo?"

Honestly, SMT IV manages to be both harder then it needs to be and easier then it should be. Were it not for the interface getting a major overhaul into the twenty-first century, the game would be a flat out loser.

For those complaining about the world map in IV, I have two words for you: Estoma Sword.

True, Estoma sword makes navigating 10x better.

The 3D overworld, though, was so dark and confusing. I'd get stuck in corners and walls because there wasn't a clear indication of a path at points. They may make the overworld map more straightforward in this Final sequel, hopefully.

Edited by Leif