Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

Jedi

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, this is how I feel about most SMT I've played. Haven't touched nocturne though.

Th SMTIII protagonist's friends are pretty interesting especially when...

...they go on to make their own Reasons and become morphed almost beyond recognition, especially Chiyaki when she becomes the Baal Avatar.

Still, not as interesting as the demons, but WAY better than Isabeau, Jonathan, and Walter.

New article, explaining the premise of the game

I started playing IV when this got announced (thankfully it was on sale), and even though I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I did think the backstory was lacking a bit (for the curious: I've just killed Kin-Ki). IV:F's background sounds pretty interesting, however!

The fact you're essentially Dagda's agent, killing gods for his sake, beats the usual "chosen one" trope--something I wish most games didn't follow

IV was the only game I played and I was expecting the whole law and chaos thing to have a deeper meaning in many ways.

[spoiler=]The alternate timelines were were interesting where absolute extremes led to suffering of the masses with just few people on top. The whole section of Tokyo I was expecting a revelation that the gangs had different values of chaos and order that kept everything balance and everyone alive.

I didn't get the white or Stephen hawking at all

Are the older games more of what I'm looking for?

IV was the only game I played and I was expecting the whole law and chaos thing to have a deeper meaning in many ways.

[spoiler=]The alternate timelines were were interesting where absolute extremes led to suffering of the masses with just few people on top. The whole section of Tokyo I was expecting a revelation that the gangs had different values of chaos and order that kept everything balance and everyone alive.

I didn't get the white or Stephen hawking at all

Are the older games more of what I'm looking for?

Yes. Most importantly, the first game is on iPad

I am excited for this. I played SMTIV a long time ago and enjoyed it. I was surprised that I got to the Neutral Ending through my first blind run of it, though.

Allegedly, choosing the first/top option for every choice menu is the simplest way to get Neutral. So, if you're the kind of person who loves blazing through your dialogue . . .

----

My interest in this title increased to positive values upon seeing the Lennon lyrics on the main character's uniform. I wonder what he'd think?

SMTIV's gameplay is pretty darn solid, but Tokyo is boring and it is a chore to wade through the pretentiousness of this series.

Edited by Tamarsamar

I just can't read the lyrics, could somebody please read them to me ?

Merkabath and Lucifer ? Sheesh, Metatron and YHWH must be on a vacation or something. :p

It does irritate me that the game force you to be something from the get go, here, the agent of someone, but eh, it could be interesting. I'm more afraid they'll do something, like, 'you sway away from your original path that was set to you from the begining BADBADBAD' than anything.

I liked SMT IV's chaos ending, though.

The false kingdom crumbles under the weight of its lies. And now, you're going to become the King who can create a kingdom of truth.

Give or take a few thousand deaths of civilians and noncombatants, but hey that's what revolution is all about!

I never said that it wasn't awesome, person-with-an-awesome-avatar-of-Reimu, I enjoyed it ! But then I look at the neutral ending and bam, facepalm.

This game looks interesting, especially with that brown-colored demon dude who seems to be a major character. My complaint regarding SMTIV was that the demons were more interesting characters than the protagonists themselves. I also didn't like some of the boss designs--they clashed with the overall art style of the game looking at you Medusa.

The protagonists reminded me of SMTI's, it was probably the point, mostly blank state, but they showed some titbit of personality sometime. It doesn't mean that I disliked them though. I quite liked Jonathan and Walter.

Oh and, hail japan Kamen Rider ! :p

Edited by B.Leu

This too, but... I dunno, but I feel like the plot doesn't go any-freaking-where at all, you have to wait until the last moment of the game to get something, and even then, it's not much. Remember the alternate timelines ? They were great, I loved them yeah, but what was the point ? Most things in this plot just seem to placed at random and just confuse me more than anything, and not in a good way.

Not that it is really bad, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but still, when I look at it, it's not stellar.

The alternate worlds were there to show you the actions and consequences of the previous hero, who chose to follow either Kiyoharu or Kenji*, while giving you some bits of background history to piece together on your own. No future you take a hand in building is going to last because there will always be a dissenting opinion that will grow louder and louder. The White represent the collective depression from alignment wars because the futile attempts to make a better future never stick, so why not end the vicious cycle of suffering? Because it has no endgame. [spoiler=*]If you're wondering about the previous hero's choice for Neutral, play the Neuter route. He just delayed the major conflict and left Tokyo to rot. That's why it was so necessary to bring hope back to Tokyo, not because it was a "happy ending". In usual SMT fashion the neutral ending is intentionally left vague because even the immediate future isn't guaranteed.

I felt like SMTIV had a solid story, its only issues were gameplay with samey demons and, while beautiful looking scenery, crap "dungeons".

The alternate worlds were there to show you the actions and consequences of the previous hero, who chose to follow either Kiyoharu or Kenji*, while giving you some bits of background history to piece together on your own. No future you take a hand in building is going to last because there will always be a dissenting opinion that will grow louder and louder. The White represent the collective depression from alignment wars because the futile attempts to make a better future never stick, so why not end the vicious cycle of suffering? Because it has no endgame. [spoiler=*]If you're wondering about the previous hero's choice for Neutral, play the Neuter route. He just delayed the major conflict and left Tokyo to rot. That's why it was so necessary to bring hope back to Tokyo, not because it was a "happy ending". In usual SMT fashion the neutral ending is intentionally left vague because even the immediate future isn't guaranteed.

I felt like SMTIV had a solid story, its only issues were gameplay with samey demons and, while beautiful looking scenery, crap "dungeons".

Yes, I do know that it's supposed to show us the obligatory consequences of choosing, and the parralels, but in the end, the only thing I see is that they used an huge-ass plot device, The White, to push a lot of things that doesn't make much sense or are straight dumb (to me anyways), such as the alignement mechanic suddenly becoming a cycle aesop thing, the extremely convenient neutral ending and everything in it, (Ie, Steven, Goddess, Flynn, etc...), and so on.

Tokyo was a chore of a world to be in, to be honest, and the maps weren't that great, I completely agree with you on that.

Also

I thought PastLife!Flynn sacrificed himself because Masakado gone batshit insane or something ? I don't remember, and I think they don't exactly make it clear in the game. :/

Holy shoot, thanks for the pic ! :o

*insert racist joke*

Whelp, hopefully, he will be more cool, while still a noble demon.

I'm preparing for for the epic battle. And the epic theme. And the 3D yellow head.

Edited by B.Leu

I just realized that the new Lucifer has a major ase of Yaoi Hands.

On the topic of news:

Medusa will be revived by the Polytheistic Alliance (The Old Deities) and acts as their servant.

A major theme of the game will apparently be the idea of Gods as either dependance or responsibility, are the Gods tyrants that hold humans down and should be slain so we, humans, can achieve independance, or are Gods simply beings created so mankind has someone to rely on as well as someone to blame for their own problems?

TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SuZbvv9vY

• Only Neutral route, but multiple endings.
  • Will have referenced to IV, but you don't need to have played it
  • his "gauntlet" is his smartphone, the ones in IV should be considered smartphones as well
  • Asahi is the heroine of the game, one of the youngest at only 15.

20151011_052551_thumb.png

• Navarre apparently had a very pretty death.

20151011_052659_thumb.png

• Approximately 450 demons in the game
  • Other characters aside from Asahi can be your partner (obvious tbh)
  • Assist attch system will have partners help you in a pinch. Human characters can be raised in a similar fashion to demons.
  • Demon conversations renewed.
  • MC is silent
  • Demons will use multiple magic types, being more efficient with types they specialize.
  • Demon stats have been changes
  • Isabeau is in, Flynn "stay tuned for more"
  • SMT IV FINAL does not mean the series' end, but the end for IV

There will be another livestream sometime in December.

/////

Edited by EdenAaron

Looks awesome. I hope it will be more epic than its predecessor.

Interesting that there are no Law or Chaos endings.

I don't understand why Tokyo's ceiling is still there. I thought Flynn removed it in the neutral ending.

It's an alternate universe/timeline where the endgame of IV was interrupted. That's why the dome is still there. Now it seems Chaos and Law have put aside their differences for a temporary truce against the polytheists.

Light magic does damage again as well.

Edited by JupiterKnight

Oh man, at 0:50 you can see that moon phases are back.

Also the siliconera article says that Navarre died a petty death, not a pretty one.

Edited by Konnor97

So, i guess that by "changes to demon recruiting" they mean the Moon System is back (At 0:48)?

Also, i hope that by "Demon stats have changed" they mean there is some kind of deffensive stat or at least they go the DeSu route and have the STR and MAG stats also contribute to deffense.