Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

Jedi

Double post, but while we got strange and impossible crossovers in our Direct, Japan got some demon summoning goodness

Oh my gosh that game looks spectacular. Did Asashi call the protagonist Nanashi? I thought that meant nameless?

Did you glean any new info from that presentation, Masked and Dangerous?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly, that it looks like there will be more manga style cutscenes as opposed to the extensive use of just talking heads. Also, we have confirmation that Nozomi as well as yellow and white are companions like Asahi and Navarre.

I question how long those companions will stick around, considering that this is an SMT game. ;P

Im starting to wonder how each of the paths will play out. (Anarchy-Neutral-Peace)

Perhaps something along the lines of Nocturne? There was never a clear distinction of what was Law and Chaos in that game. Chiyaki's Reason was practically a Chaos Route equivalent, but in the game, choosing her reason counts as "Law" since you doing what the Great Will wants to do--create a new world.

I think this game will definitely be a combo of SMTII (in terms of choosing to commit deicide or not) and Nocturne (no clear cut Law/Neutral/Chaos). Look at the protagonist; he screams Demi-Fiend, in terms of design. He has tattoos all along his body (as evidenced by his left hand completely covered in bright green markings). The Demi-Fiend is, canonically, a malicious individual since it is implied by other SMT games, like Digital Devil Saga, that he chooses the Demon path. The protagonist has mischievous expressions on the new cover artworks that have been recently revealed. Plus he makes a contract with Dagda the demon. I think being connected to a demon is bound to make you partially chaotic/evil. Look at Jimenez in Strange Journey. He became a little crazy after fusing with Bugaboo.

I wonder if Anarchy will be the 'canon' route?

Edited by Leif

Demi-Fiend doesn't have to be malicious to go True Demon, especially with what he learns about the cycle of death and destruction in the Amala and Hjiri's punishment. He can see it as the best option because all his friends are assholes. He can simply fight for what he believes is right, even if it ends what's left of creation after the Conception killed almost everyone.

Besides the normal Demon Path is the legit bad end of the game because he's too weak willed to pick a side.

Edited by JupiterKnight

Demi-Fiend doesn't have to be malicious to go True Demon, especially with what he learns about the cycle of death and destruction in the Amala and Hjiri's punishment. He can see it as the best option because all his friends are assholes. He can simply fight for what he believes is right, even if it ends what's left of creation after the Conception killed almost everyone.

Besides the normal Demon Path is the legit bad end of the game because he's too weak willed to pick a side.

That's an interesting observation. I guess I interpreted the Demi-Fiend to be malicious in the True-Demon ending because, to me, he seemed to become more power-hungry as he defeated incredibly powerful entities. I assumed his aspirations were more self-centered than as a result of his supposed reaction to the eternal cycle of birth and death in the Amala Network.

You're right, though, Chiyaki, Hijiri and Isamu are huge jerks, especially Chiyaki.

Thanks for the video !

I partially blamed Jimenez as bad writing, something just to justify the Chaos path being just as bad as Law path, and pushing the Neutral-bias ending even more.

If I'm not mistaken, Nanashi indeed mean Nameless, I could be wrong though.

Mmmm, I don't see the Pillar Zelenin resemblance.

The legs. Look at them. :p

The protagonist can keep his uneven pants. His hair offends me far more!

Nothing could be more fabulous than Flynn anyways. :p

But it's true that this one is weird, what's with the duck face ?

I actually didn't dislike SJ Chaos End too much, but Jimenez suddenly going complete nutjobs was pretty damn bad(and i remember starting to like him as the story progress :(. Zelenin is a complete NOPE though)

Theres also the whole motivation to get your revenge against Jack by joining Chaos - YOU MAKE ME WENT THROUGH ERIDANUS YOU FUCKING-" something like that

Its almost as annoying as SMT4 where the two other guy was all chill, shit happen and suddenly they make a full 180 and make the best decision making mankind could ever seen - selling their souls to a demon.

Probably this is why i like DS2 so much, the fanction representation isn't complete assholes. Except maybe Ronaldo. Both Takoyaki Guy and Daichi turns out to be pretty bro in their own right

Edited by JSND

I actually didn't dislike SJ Chaos End too much, but Jimenez suddenly going complete nutjobs was pretty damn bad(and i remember starting to like him as the story progress :(. Zelenin is a complete NOPE though)

Theres also the whole motivation to get your revenge against Jack by joining Chaos - YOU MAKE ME WENT THROUGH ERIDANUS YOU FUCKING-" something like that

Its almost as annoying as SMT4 where the two other guy was all chill, shit happen and suddenly they make a full 180 and make the best decision making mankind could ever seen - selling their souls to a demon.

Probably this is why i like DS2 so much, the fanction representation isn't complete assholes. Except maybe Ronaldo. Both Takoyaki Guy and Daichi turns out to be pretty bro in their own right

Yeah, Jimenez was growing on me as well. I kinda enjoyed the dynamic he had with Bugaboo, because he seemed to love and care for the little guy. You're right, as soon as the Jack's Squad fiasco escalates, both Jimenez and Zelenin become royal jerks. The do a complete heel-face-turn when they lose both their humanity. I didn't mind Zelenin before her transformation. A bit bitchy? Yes. But, but she did just want to do what she thought what was best for humanity at the time. Then Mastema had to convince her to become lady gaga an angel, and she loses all her cares and worries, which made her character unique. She becomes flat rather than dynamic. Same for Jimenez.

I hope that, if we get Law and Chaos heroes in this game, they will be handled better. Honestly, I don't understand why the respective path representatives have to come across as dicks. I would want to make both sides as enticing as possible to create a huge dilemma for the player. The Law folks are always wanting to brainwash folks where the chaos people want to keep killing each other. That doesn't sound appealing at if you ask me.

The legs. Look at them. :p

I kinda see what you mean now. Merkabah looks more like a statue than a living being. Looking at Pillar Zelenin makes me wish Merkabah wasn't so over-designed. I really don't like the artist who designed the archangels. They really looked like tattoos more than actual beings you'd encounter. Why did they need to change? Kaneko's work was just fine.. -_-

Edited by Leif

Wow, that's really weird. I was hoping Walter and Jonathan wouldn't show up.

I wonder what happened to Flynn? It's funny since he, I think, is the first mainline SMT protagonist to actually have a voice actor and have dialogue in this game. Unless...

you count Hijiri form Nocturne since it is implied he is Aleph from SMTII

Isabeau joining as a partner is awesome.

Miroku is the Japanese name of Maitreya Buddha. His design looks like it incorporates elements of Budai.

The bird man from the initial promo art is Sukuna-Hikona.

Wasn't there the scripture of Miroku in Nocturne? That was Hikawa's whole deal right?

It would be a cool call back to SMTIII.

Edited by Leif

• 2 weeks later...

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/15-minutes-shin-megami-tensei-iv-final-gameplay

More gameplay footage. Looks a bit better than its predecessor.

[spoiler=speculation and SMTIV story spoilers]

I think the protagonist, Nanashi, is a reincarnation of Akira, like Flynn was to that guy who was merged with Masakado.

Edited by Leif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been paying attention, but wow Flynn and Isabeau are back, and everything is looking great. Although I think the music is still lackluster from what we've heard so far. Compared to 4 anyways.

Not to mention our main characters design is still kinda bleh.

Edited by Jedi

The main character's design alright. I still think Serph and the Demi-Fiend are the best-designed SMT protagonists.

So the masked demon girl is '?Tooki?', the grey-haired boy is '?Hareruya?', (?Hallelujah?) and the spear guy is 'Gasuton?' (GASTON!?!?!!)?

Ahahaha, I really hope his name is Gaston!!

Edited by Leif

The main character's design alright. I still think Serph and the Demi-Fiend are the best-designed SMT protagonists.

So the masked demon girl is '?Tooki?', the grey-haired boy is '?Hareruya?', (?Hallelujah?) and the spear guy is 'Gasuton?' (GASTON!?!?!!)?

Ahahaha, I really hope his name is Gaston!!

It gets better. Gaston is Navarre's brother, who refuses to acknowledge the little shit's existence.

It gets better. Gaston is Navarre's brother, who refuses to acknowledge the little shit's existence.

Ahahaha! I hope this Gaston is like the Disney Beauty and the Beast Gaston. :3 I guess this means that Gaston won't be another incarnation of Zayin from SMTII since he'll probably be vain/obnoxious like Navarre was.

I am afraid that Navarre will be incredibly annoying too. The Megami Tensei wiki mentioned that he 'possesses the protagonist'? Does that mean we cannot get rid of him? :(

Are these partner characters going to stay with the protagonist throughout the whole story? I hope that wouldn't be the case because killing off the other lead characters is an SMT tradition...

Masked and Dangerous, what were the descriptions of Hallelujah and Tooki?

Edited by Leif