What is your least favorite Fire Emblem game?

Lantairu

144 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite game

• Dark Dragon Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • IF/Fates
    • Love them all!

I think IS is just as confused as we are as to what the consensus is on FE4, considering how much Awakening flat out steals from it in terms of concepts and plot in general. That's honestly why it bothers me so much that I didn't care for FE4 that much when I adored FE13, I felt like and still do I should absolutely adore that game, but it just doesn't entertain me anywhere near the level 13 did. No offense intended to FE4's fans.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing 13 took from 4 was the kids, the way it handles them is completely different, I'd say 13 took more from the Android Saga of DBZ with how its kid plot worked than fe4 anyways.

I honestly think everything the people who love FE4 say are the reasons they love it are the same exact reasons the haters give as to why they hate it. FE4 took a lot of risks and made a lot of innovations, and I think the general consensus of FE4 now is of any game that takes a lot of risks: you either love the ideas or hate the ideas. For the most part, I think FE4 is a very well made game in execution, but if you don't like the ideas the game is based around, no matter how well executed they are you won't like them.

True, I respect that FE4 attempted to be a very story based game, going as far as having each map match the geography of the world map to immerse the player more, and while this inadvertently caused the majority of my problems with the games map design, I do respect what it was trying to do there.

Only thing 13 took from 4 was the kids, the way it handles them is completely different, I'd say 13 took more from the Android Saga of DBZ with how its kid plot worked than fe4 anyways.

at the end when all the weird grima shit becomes important it's pretty fe4

validar is literally just a less successful manfroy

robin sort of fills the roles of both julia and julius in that he's villain guy's child and has evil dragon's blood, and defeats evil other child of villain guy

chrom fits seliph and sigurd pretty well, and lucina is a bit like seliph with how chrom gets killed by someone he trusted and his child avenges him

also his relationship to robin is somewhat similar to seliph's with julia

grima and loptyr are basically the same too

Yeah, I always thought those pictures that matched all the maps up with the world map were pretty cool. But what you said right there just proves my point. A big reason I love that game is the large maps, and thats a reason you dont like it. I see where the people who hate the map design come from, looking at you Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.

I don't really mind the big maps in FE4, it can be a little overwhelming but I don't mind it. What I really like about 4 is the focus on story, the Holy Blood mechanic, the music, the characters, and the character designs. Seriously, those designs are really awesome! And how about those face mugs? I'm a fan. I'm a fan.

at the end when all the weird grima shit becomes important it's pretty fe4

validar is literally just a less successful manfroy

robin sort of fills the roles of both julia and julius in that he's villain guy's child and has evil dragon's blood, and defeats evil other child of villain guy

chrom fits seliph and sigurd pretty well, and lucina is a bit like seliph with how chrom gets killed by someone he trusted and his child avenges him

also his relationship to robin is somewhat similar to seliph's with julia

grima and loptyr are basically the same too

then who was Arvis

I don't really mind the big maps in FE4, it can be a little overwhelming but I don't mind it. What I really like about 4 is the focus on story, the Holy Blood mechanic, the music, the characters, and the character designs. Seriously, those designs are really awesome! And how about those face mugs? I'm a fan. I'm a fan.

Yeah. I honestly (I say that word so much for some reason) think FE4, at least out of what I've played (which is admittedly not as much as what I would like to say I have of the series) is the most well written in the series. Again, I've only played fully through FE4, 3, and 13, so I probably don't have much to compare. And I can honestly say the characters, even if they're from the Kaga era, somewhat hold up today. By no means are they as developed as they could've been had the game been made now, but I think they're great.

Yeah, I always thought those pictures that matched all the maps up with the world map were pretty cool. But what you said right there just proves my point. A big reason I love that game is the large maps, and thats a reason you dont like it. I see where the people who hate the map design come from, looking at you Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.

What was so wrong with chapter 2? I liked it. I felt it made the best use of the huge maps, aside from maybe chapter 10.

ok maybe this is just me but I think a lot of the mugs in FE4 look super dumb

like god damn sigurd's face is a triangle

why is ares always angry

why is lachesis always sad

the reused ones are especially silly

like 20 characters use ayra's hair, including shanan

whoa when did alvis grow his hair even more dye it brown and become King of Thracia

I love FE4 and all but a lot of the characters look dumb

then who was Arvis

manfroy was phone???? sort of split between robin and validar I guess

Yeah. I honestly (I say that word so much for some reason) think FE4, at least out of what I've played (which is admittedly not as much as what I would like to say I have of the series) is the most well written in the series.

i'm not saying its writing is bad or anything

can you really say that about a game that you(presumably) haven't played in English

like I love FE4's story but "well written" can't really be said based on fan translations

Edited by maybe

What was so wrong with chapter 2? I liked it. I felt it made the best use of the huge maps, aside from maybe chapter 10.

why is ares always angry

whoa when did alvis grow his hair even more dye it brown and become King of Thracia

I thought having to walk from Mackily all the way to Anphony was annoying. Also getting Levin all the way to Evans in time for the Fury Squad takes way too long. Also, yeah, the mugs can get kind of lazy. How can we possibly forget about Arden? A mug I actually think is really cool kind of was Levin's, then again I am always completely biased towards him.

I thought having to walk from Mackily all the way to Anphony was annoying. Also getting Levin all the way to Evans in time for the Fury Squad takes way too long. Also, yeah, the mugs can get kind of lazy. How can we possibly forget about Arden? A mug I actually think is really cool kind of was Levin's, then again I am always completely biased towards him.

i was gonna mention how I really love levin's but it didn't feel relevant

levin looks cool

although Ardan looks intentionally dumb and I think they did well with that

except in second gen where, like everyone else, his hair looks dumb

also now I see the problem that I didn't have

I just warped Levin back to the castle

Edited by maybe

FE4 is a game where you REALLY have to put its flaws aside to enjoy it, because it has tons. It's probably the only game in the series that has gameplay flaws I absolutely cannot stand.

Although I could say the same about every other FE game. I've come to terms that I just enjoy FE games for what they are instead of focusing on the bad. Fortunately, every FE game has enough pros that I can enjoy them all in their own way.

why is ares always angry

I disagree, I like them, but that's just me.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

As much as the first game has not aged well in terms of mechanics (I can't comment on the story for the original [though I can for the remake since it was released over here] since it's Japanese-only and I don't feel relying on fan translations is fair to judge a game's story given the complexity of the language), there's a certain amount of respect for both kicking off the series and popularizing the genre of tactical role-playing on home consoles. The same cannot be said for Radiant Dawn. It's a foul follow-up that carries over what few flaws Path of Radiance possessed (sluggish movement, ugly character models) while bringing its own issues through a tedious and bloated campaign that, frankly, should have expanded on and ended with Part 1. The story is an atrocious storm of retcons for new characters and the returning cast (Ike leaving Elincia to return to his mercenary group was an especially insulting moment, both for the reason the game gives and for said mercenary group not being in contact with anyone for almost half a year... which is just bad for mercenary business if no one can contact you) that relies on the player being familiar with the past game only to insult them for paying attention to that game's plot, the characters were either obnoxious, inconsistent with how they were in Path of Radiance or forgettable and the support system is completely butchered. Gameplay-wise, the map design is equally banal, especially in terms of pacing, to say nothing of the poor use of fog of war whenever it does (That said, laguz being able to counterattack when not transformed is an decent addition in its own right). To those that enjoy it: All the power to you. But speaking for myself, I cannot stand this sequel, both on its own and the conclusion to the Tellius saga (Yes I know about Ike's descendant in Awakening. I also know it's also one map and doesn't do anything aside from glorify how strong/wonderful Ike was in PoR/RD.)

I would put Radiant Dawn down as a key case of failed potential and ultimately doing a game that was too big to handle. The games DOES have interesting ideas from both a design and narrative (see Micaiah) standpoint. The game suffers from the issue Awakening has in that there's a share of directions for the narrative to go that range from being underexplored to shoddily handled.

The Blood Pact War should be noted here. We have an interesting idea (have two player armies go to war) that in practice ends up misused.

Edited by Alazen

then who was Arvis

Though his actual motivation is different to Arvis, I'd say Gangrel.

He allied with the villains and opposed the protagonists for his own reasons but didn't know of their true intentions.

can you really say that about a game that you(presumably) haven't played in English

like I love FE4's story but "well written" can't really be said based on fan translations

It's not well written in the same way Shadow Dragon is, but the characterisation is fairly solid.