• Fire Emblem Blade Of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery Of The Emblem
    • Akaneia Saga
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • New Mystery
    • Genealogy Of The Holy War

Holy shit quad posts, there's an edit and multi quote button fyi.

My favorite is FE4. Good story, interesting characters, its mechanics suck arse but they can be improved. And omg its music is goddamn great.

Edited by Quintessence

Mystery would be my favorite of these, in large part because I don't think it has any glaring weaknesses. Being two games in one helps too.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I love Thracia 776. I adore the graphics, the gameplay, and the maps! There were so many diverse classes too. This was hard because I enjoyed Genealogy as well. However, I very much disliked the huge maps since I would waste so many turns traveling to one castle, then having to track ALL the way back to home base, like the Silesia map in Chapter 4. Thracia felt more like the Fire Emblem we know now (small maps and all). My biggest complaint with Thracia 776 is the music, I loathe the enemy battle theme (you know when a generic attacks you on their turn). Aside form a few tracks here and there, it really wasn't as epic or awesome as FE4's. Staffs having a chance to miss and permanent status effects are a bit of a pain; the fog of war could have been a tad better too; I wish I could see where I was going! There were also unused portions of data that I wish were fully implemented... :(

Other than that, it was really challenging, introduced awesome gameplay mechanics and had kickass defend objective maps (Tahra chapter anyone?)! I liked the fatigue system since it promoted the use of other units instead of benching them forever.

Why all the Binding Blade love? I felt that when compared to FE4-5, it was very weak! No skills? No capturing? No defend maps? No Fire, Thunder, or Wind Magic triangle? Strength/magic split? I'm not invalidating your opinions, I am merely surprised since I believe FE4-5 are much stronger than FE6.

Edited by Leif

Binding Blade was ok the missions were pretty boring though with all the sieze objectives and the sucky acc probs, its not something i'd play for fun myself

Thracia is a pretty hard game but I can see how people could like it, I played it a good bit and had a lot of fun with it .

Ive gotta pick Genealogy of the Holy War with its 2 gen system, the huge maps,skills,and lots of other stuff this game is really #1 imo

Technically, that's all of them :P:

Binding Blade, for having my favorite maps in the series, and hitting just the right amount of simple without having no mechanics. And Wolt. Wolt is a very important factor.

My answer is simple enough.

Genealogy of the Holy War.

Story's good, characters too, and holy blood is always cool.

Additionally, large maps aren't and will never be a problem for me.

FE12, but FE6 comes to a pretty close second, it's my 2nd fav in the series too.

EDIT:

Why all the Binding Blade love? I felt that when compared to FE4-5, it was very weak! No defend maps?

Defend maps are pretty boring imo and if they're done well, we're sort of talking about exceptions. I wouldn't be surprised if FE5 C14 is good considering what I hear about FE5 maps, but I don't think Defend maps are important. FE4 doesn't have any either, FE8 has only one in each playthrough (which one depends on the route split), DSFEs and Awakening have none. Heck, FE4 is seize-only aswell, except the multiple thrones per map gimmick is only present in one map of FE6.

No skills?

I never cared much about skills personally, I barely used any when playing through the tellius games so they don't make or break a game imo. I read they're more important in the Jugdral games, but that's a matter of gameplay focus where preferences tend to be pretty subjective.

No capturing?

Can't exactly comment on this, I definitely need to play thracia (and the other pre-FE6 FEs too), but most other FE games don't have them either so it's more like an FE5-exclusive feature. (It still is a point in its favor, but I don't think it can be held against FE6 in particular)

No Fire, Wind and Thunder triangle?

Why would it matter? As is, WTA/WTD with tomes rarely matters towards anything besides accuracy either, and most good magic users are fairly accurate anyway.

Strength/Magic split?

Given the GBAFE weapons, a str/mag split wouldn't have added much, given that weight is determined by con anyway. The only difference it would've made is towards Light Brand and the guaranteed 10 dmg can be handier depending on the situation anyway so it's very minor and I don't mind it at all.

I mainly like FE6 because I think HM is done pretty well, it's quite fun to play (and replay) considering the enemy stats never are too huge or too low and it doesn't get boring either for me since I like to play at a somewhat quick, but not necessarily bumrush pace. Some stuff I like to use are status staves which fit well into the game design, long-range warp and buyable boots. It's more simplistic, but it's still pretty solid and has good aspects that aren't there in the jugdral games, much like they have some features that FE6 lacks.

Edited by Gradivus.