Fates Fanfiction Central (Spoilers)

NekoKnight

I don't think that is a good analogy. Japan is famous for samurai. Europe is not exactly famous for not having concubines, nohr is it something commonly associated with medieval europe. And as Azurezen said before, just because Nohr is based on europe doesn't mean its going to be a carbon copy of it.

But monogamy is a major part of European culture. This is because Europe is the continent associated with Christianity, and the big distinction of Christianity is monogamy. Its not as prominent, but that is only because it is the lack of something rather than that something itself.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But monogamy is a major part of European culture. This is because Europe is the continent associated with Christianity, and the big distinction of Christianity is monogamy. Its not as prominent, but that is only because it is the lack of something rather than that something itself.

Do you know what else Christianity says? No witchcraft. Oh look, Nohr's got sorceres in their army.

Plus, as was already pointed out, it was flat out stated in Camilla's A support with Niles and Leo's A with Elise that all the Nohrian siblings were born to different mothers even though they all have the same father.

Edited by Blade_of_Light

Do you know what else Christianity says? No witchcraft. Oh look, Nohr's got sorceres in their army.

Plus, as was already pointed out, it was flat out stated in Camilla's A support with Niles and Leo's A with Elise that all the Nohrian siblings were born to different mothers even though they all have the same father.

Yeah, I know. Its perfectly fine if they're mistresses, but it would make very little sense for them to be officially concubines. Also, it wasn't just Christianity that was monogamous, the Romans, who Nohr is based on more than anything, were also monogamous. To be fair the Zoroastrian Persians were also monogamous, but Hoshido is pretty clearly not based on Persia, and when Persia became Islamic they adopted Polygamy.

It is absolutely disingenuous to compare mistresses to concubines. For one thing, it was entirely socially acceptable in all cultures where concubines featured prominently to have concubines, so there wouldn't be the mistrust aspect present between the siblings. The reason why Nohr shouldn't have concubines is that Europe was essentially the only continent in history where concubines weren't a thing (I suppose you could count the Vikings and Pagan tribes, but those died out before the Second Millennium). It would be like if Hoshido, based on Japan, did not have Samurai. It just wouldn't work.

Can you describe the differences between mistresses and concubines? Is it the difference between unofficial flings and established relationships?

In the localization, Camilla uses the word "mistresses" in her explanation of their family relationships, for what its worth.

Yeah, I know. Its perfectly fine if they're mistresses, but it would make very little sense for them to be officially concubines. Also, it wasn't just Christianity that was monogamous, the Romans, who Nohr is based on more than anything, were also monogamous. To be fair the Zoroastrian Persians were also monogamous, but Hoshido is pretty clearly not based on Persia, and when Persia became Islamic they adopted Polygamy.

I think you're reading a little too much into it. While Nohr is obviously European-inspired, this only really extends to the generic Fantasy-RPG aesthetic. Maybe if we know anything about the culture your point would be valid, but as it stands I don't really see why it makes a difference if they're mistresses or concubines. Besides, if Fates was 100% committed to historical accuracy with it's inspirations, than why are Samurai using swords exclusively? In battle, katanas were only a back-up weapon with spears, naginatas and yumi being their primary arms, with the importance of katanas being mostly a case of romanticism.

Edited by Phillius

It is absolutely disingenuous to compare mistresses to concubines. For one thing, it was entirely socially acceptable in all cultures where concubines featured prominently to have concubines, so there wouldn't be the mistrust aspect present between the siblings.

Concubines and wives jockeying for power with their children (sometimes grandchildren) as pawns was incredibly common in imperial and royal courts. There was a lot of murder-by-proxy and forced exile via framing political rivals for crimes, "mysterious deaths" of heirs, and attempted assassinations. So no, that mistrust between siblings was perfectly natural, even in societies where concubines were socially acceptable; a peaceful sibling relation was the exception, not the rule.

Note that the above almost perfectly describes the situation in the Nohr court.

The reason why Nohr shouldn't have concubines is that Europe was essentially the only continent in history where concubines weren't a thing (I suppose you could count the Vikings and Pagan tribes, but those died out before the Second Millennium). It would be like if Hoshido, based on Japan, did not have Samurai. It just wouldn't work.

Except both ancient Greece (or at the very least, ancient Athens) and ancient Rome both allowed for concubines. While ancient Rome didn't legally allow a man to have both a concubine and a wife, having both was still common, and the law that outlawed having both was basically a sham.

it doesn't matter. Fates is set in a fictional world that does not strictly follow the rules of historical Europe and where Christianity or an equivalent doesn't exist. If you want to believe that Nohr does strictly follow those historical precepts, fine. I and others don't.

Can you describe the differences between mistresses and concubines? Is it the difference between unofficial flings and established relationships?

In the localization, Camilla uses the word "mistresses" in her explanation of their family relationships, for what its worth.

The only real difference is how socially acceptable the two are. Given that nothing in Fates' story indicates that what Garon did was considered socially unacceptable, mistresses was probably the wrong word to use, but at the same time I can understand using it because it would be more familiar. (And also I don't know if using "concubine" would be okay in a T-Rated game because ESRB.)

I'm writing up my stuff. I swear I'll make an actual on-topic post at some point.

Edited by AzureSen

Okay, okay, I concede. However:

A Mistress was unofficial, a concubine was official, simple as that. Also, Concubines were sometimes but not always essentially well treated sex slaves, while a Mistress would have to want to be in the relationship. The Ottomans, for example, had entire military units, the Barbary pirates, whose job was among other things to essentially kidnap women from mainly France, Italy, Poland, and Spain to serve as the Sultan's concubines. While they were well treated it was hardly consensual. I don't approve of making moral judgements of the past, but if Garon had concubines in the Ottoman sense that would make him a rapist by modern standards. That being the case, it could have been a deliberate decision on the part of the writers to have them not be mistresses, because fighting for a rapist could be seen as a bit much (then again, so could fighting for a mass murderer, but for some reason mass murder is look away able but rape isn't.)

Okay, okay, I concede. However:

A Mistress was unofficial, a concubine was official, simple as that. Also, Concubines were sometimes but not always essentially well treated sex slaves, while a Mistress would have to want to be in the relationship. The Ottomans, for example, had entire military units, the Barbary pirates, whose job was among other things to essentially kidnap women from mainly France, Italy, Poland, and Spain to serve as the Sultan's concubines. While they were well treated it was hardly consensual. I don't approve of making moral judgements of the past, but if Garon had concubines in the Ottoman sense that would make him a rapist by modern standards. That being the case, it could have been a deliberate decision on the part of the writers to have them not be mistresses, because fighting for a rapist could be seen as a bit much (then again, so could fighting for a mass murderer, but for some reason mass murder is look away able but rape isn't.)

Hm, the description of the Garon's secondary ladies definitely sounds consensual (Elise and Leon's support indicated that their mothers loved Garon more than their own children). In Camilla x Niles, Camilla says that the women were "the lowest of the low" and they had to fight hard to earn Garon's favor. You could interpret them as being unofficial or the rank of concubine being incredibly low in their society.

I'm not going to be too fussed about the terminology. Nohr's political structure is only vaguely alluded to so it can be whatever you want it to be.

Hm, the description of the Garon's secondary ladies definitely sounds consensual (Elise and Leon's support indicated that their mothers loved Garon more than their own children). In Camilla x Niles, Camilla says that the women were "the lowest of the low" and they had to fight hard to earn Garon's favor. You could interpret them as being unofficial or the rank of concubine being incredibly low in their society.

I'm not going to be too fussed about the terminology. Nohr's political structure is only vaguely alluded to so it can be whatever you want it to be.

In basically any society with concubines, the rank of concubine was second only to the Empress consort in terms of status for women. If they were the lowest of the low that would definitely make them mistresses.

Edited by blah the Prussian

In basically any society with concubines, the rank of concubine was second only to the Empress consort in terms of status for women. If they were the lowest of the low that would definitely make them mistresses.

I never expected for Serenesforest to be educational. Then again, you do have a portrait of Otto von Bismarck as your avatar, so I guess I should expect as much.

Edited by babydragonspawn

Since we're talking about the Waifu Wars, it's the perfect time to post my Kamui x Camilla support.

[spoiler=Kamui x Camilla C-S]

Note: Camilla is bisexual in my headcanon (which is also hinted at in actual canon) so the Mamui and Femui support are the same. I wrote Kamui as a girl here just because I had a female Avatar for my Conquest playthrough.

C-rank

Camilla: Kamui, dear? Are you in your room? I'm coming in~

Kamui: Ah, you startled me sister!

Camilla: Hm? What's with all these papers?

Kamui: Oh, I'm just taking an inventory of our supplies. If we ran out of healing staves in the next battle, we'd be in a real bind.

Camilla: All that stuffy paperwork can wait until later. Right now we should go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Kamui: I don't know... this really is a matter of-

Camilla: Kamui, you're going to be an old woman at 30 if you overexert yourself. Besides, it's been a long time since we've gotten to relax together as siblings.

Kamui: *Sigh* You know, you're right. Sometimes we need a bit of levity to keep our spirits up. So, what did you have in mind today.

Camilla: I'm glad you asked! I've written down a few ideas of things we could do together today.

Kamui: Huh? There must be over 20 things written on this paper! Surely we can't do all of them in a day!

Camilla: Really? Well, in that case we have a lot of activities for future outings. First I was thinking of taking a stroll through the meadow. Then we'll find a nice tree to sit under and you can lay your head in my lap as I brush your hair with my fingers.

Kamui: That could be relaxing...but I'd feel a little embarrassed if anyone saw us.

Camilla: There's no need to be bashful. It will be just like when we were younger.

Kamui: And after the meadow?

Camilla: Later we could visit the marketplace at night and pick up some of those meat skewers you like so much. We'll drink some sweet wine, take a bath together and then go to bed.

Kamui: W-wait, what was that last one?

Camilla: Going to bed?

Kamui: No, the one before that! Did you say 'take a bath together'?

Camilla: Of course. Bathing is important and we'll be doing things all day so we need to wash away the sweat and grime.

Kamui: But why together!? It would be too embarrassing!

Camilla: But you used to love taking baths with Big Sis...

Kamui: I was 6 years old!

Camilla: Come on, it will be fun. I'll scrub your back for you and you can do mine. It will be a sibling bonding experience.

Kamui: No, it's absolutely out of the question! Even as siblings, that would be unusual.

Camilla: Fine, we'll bathe separately. But I don't want you leaving my side for a moment until then.

Kamui: Okay, I'll go get ready then.

Camilla: Ah, Kamui. You're already so grown up. I feel a little wistful watching you leave your childhood behind. But then again, there are certain things only adults can experience.

B-rank

Camilla: Yoohoo, Kamui~ Come give your big sister a hug!

Kamui: Eh, what's this all of the sudden? And...why does your breath smell like wine?

Camilla: After you left early last night, I had to finish all of the wine myself. I may have had a little this morning too...

Kamui: Sister, you're going to fall down if you don't steady yourself.

Camilla: Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself. The truth is, I wanted to talk to you about something. I realized that yesterday I was too forward with the whole bathing together thing so I want to apologize to you.

Kamui: There's really no need.

Camilla: And to make up for it, I'm going to give you a massage!

Kamui: What...?

Camilla: Lately you look so pensive and I can see the stress building up in your shoulders. Just take off your shirt, lay on your stomach and Big Sister Camilla will rub away all the tension!

Kamui: Camilla, there's actually something I want to talk to you about.

Camilla: Oh? What is it?

Kamui: I really enjoy spending time with you but... lately a lot of the things we do together are more intimate than I think is normal. The bath and now this massage thing... people are going to think we have a special relationship.

Camilla: We DO have a special relationship! How many are so privileged that they can call you a sister?

Kamui: It goes beyond that! You aren't nearly as close with Elise, Leon or Marx. I just want to know why you focus so much of your attention on me.

Camilla: ...Isn't it enough to tell you that I love you as my sister?

Kamui: There must be more than that.

Camilla: ...

Kamui: Camilla?

Camilla: I'm sorry, Kamui. That's something I can't tell anyone, not even you.

Kamui: Hey, Camilla! Where are you going? ...What was that about?

A-rank

Kamui: Camilla, can we talk? You're barely speaking to anyone and every night you seclude yourself in your room to drink.

Camilla: I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me....

Kamui: I AM worried! Ever since the day before when you said that there was something you couldn't tell me, you had such a deep sadness in your eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Camilla: I'm sorry...

Kamui: Please tell me what it is. There are no secrets between sisters, right?

Camilla: ...If I tell you, will you promise you won't come to hate your sister?

Kamui: I could never come to hate you! No matter what happens, nothing will ever break our bond.

Camilla: Very well... You’re probably aware that Marx, Leon, Elise and I are born to different mothers.

Kamui: I heard, but you guys never really talked about it.

Camilla: And there is a reason for that. While Marx was born to the late Queen Katerina, the rest of us were mothered by mistresses. Though they shared a bed with Father for a time, they and their children were not guaranteed a high position in court. Nohrian society has no place for weaklings, so those who want to advance in the world have to be the strongest, the smartest and the most ruthless.

Kamui: I see…

Camilla: The main conflict started about 10 years ago. Competition among the mistresses for King Garon’s favor was fierce and nothing was off the table. Slander, poisonings, assassinations… even using their children as weapons against each other was common-place. For all the turmoil boiling throughout the country, a second secret war was being fought inside the castle walls.

Kamui: But why would Garon allow such madness?

Camilla: I told you, didn’t I? Nohr only values the strong and Garon wanted only the best of his children to succeed him.

Kamui: …

Camilla: I was 13 when the eldest daughter of Lady Reinwald, visited me at our family villa. She came under the pretense of friendship but she was really there to kill me. She nearly succeeded and I still have a scar over my left eye to show for it. I did eventually cut her down with an axe but… I wasn’t the same after that. Even as I watched my mother’s wyvern eat that girl’s body, I felt nothing. That was the first. A year later I killed one of my half-brothers, and then a half-sister and then… I just stopped thinking about who they were or why they wanted me dead. The killing became easier but I could feel my soul becoming hollow.

Kamui: Gods… it’s too horrible to even think about.

Camilla: But that all changed when I met you. When you came to us, you were an outsider, born to nothing. You’d never be allowed to advance in Nohrian society outside of Father’s direct wishes so I knew you would be left out of our power struggle. You were the one sibling I could trust and love unconditionally. Just as I was about to give into despair, you became my light.

Kamui: Camilla, why didn’t you tell me before!? Had I known you were suffering, maybe I could have…

Camilla: I wanted to tell you… but I didn’t want to scare you away. If you knew your gentle older sister was actually a cold-blooded killer, you’d never approach me again.

Kamui: I never thought that of you and I still don’t! I love you, sister.

Camilla: Kamui…for you to say that… *sobs*

Kamui: It's okay. I'm right here.

Camilla: I don't know what I did to deserve you but I don't want this moment to end.

Kamui: Dear sister, you’ve looked after me as long as I can remember, but now it’s time I look after you. Cry as long as you need to. I’ll always be there to help carry your burden.

S-rank

Kamui: Camilla, you look better since we last spoke.

Camilla: All thanks to you, Kamui. After telling you my story and being accepted...I feel so much lighter. Had you rejected me... surely my mind would be torn apart.

Kamui: I'm glad that we could connect on a deeper level.

Camilla: Still, I feel a little sad. I need you so much more than you need me and I'm afraid of being a burden on you.

Kamui: I need you just as much. This war has been draining on me... the things I've seen and done. If you weren't there to support me, I'd be lost.

Camilla: Then we're the same. When I look at you, my body feels hot and I can hardly contain myself. Does...that make you feel uncomfortable?

Kamui: I... don't know. Growing up, I always thought you were beautiful and gentle. It's embarrassing but I like the way you look at me. I want to be close to you and feel that warmth. But we're sisters so something like that is forbidden.

Camilla: Then why don't we stop being sisters?

Kamui: Camilla, you can't mean-!?

Camilla: I do. I love you Kamui, more than anyone in this world. If being sisters is the last barrier between us, I'll gladly cast it away.

Kamui: Camilla stop, this is... someone could see us!

Camilla: Then we'll just have to go somewhere where no one is watching.

Kamui: Camilla!

Camilla: I was only joking. We still have a lot to talk about, and certain precautions will need to be made but... there is one thing I will tell you now. I am yours, now and always.

Kamui: You always say the most embarrassing things... but I am yours as well. Take good care of me, Camilla.

Be gentle with your criticism. It's my first time.

Edited by NekoKnight

Since we're talking about the Waifu Wars, it's the perfect time to post my Kamui x Camilla support.

[spoiler=Kamui x Camilla C-S]

Note: Camilla is bisexual in my headcanon (which is also hinted at in actual canon) so the Mamui and Femui support are the same. I wrote Kamui as a girl here just because I had a female Avatar for my Conquest playthrough.

C-rank

Camilla: Kamui, dear? Are you in your room? I'm coming in~

Kamui: Ah, you startled me sister!

Camilla: Hm? What's with all these papers?

Kamui: Oh, I'm just taking an inventory of our supplies. If we ran out of healing staves in the next battle, we'd be in a real bind.

Camilla: All that stuffy paperwork can wait until later. Right now we should go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Kamui: I don't know... this really is a matter of-

Camilla: Kamui, you're going to be an old woman at 30 if you overexert yourself. Besides, it's been a long time since we've gotten to relax together as siblings.

Kamui: *Sigh* You know, you're right. Sometimes we need a bit of levity to keep our spirits up. So, what did you have in mind today.

Camilla: I'm glad you asked! I've written down a few ideas of things we could do together today.

Kamui: Huh? There must be over 20 things written on this paper! Surely we can't do all of them in a day!

Camilla: Really? Well, in that case we have a lot of activities for future outings. First I was thinking of taking a stroll through the meadow. Then we'll find a nice tree to sit under and you can lay your head in my lap as I brush your hair with my fingers.

Kamui: That could be relaxing...but I'd feel a little embarrassed if anyone saw us.

Camilla: There's no need to be bashful. It will be just like when we were younger.

Kamui: And after the meadow?

Camilla: Later we could visit the marketplace at night and pick up some of those meat skewers you like so much. We'll drink some sweet wine, take a bath together and then go to bed.

Kamui: W-wait, what was that last one?

Camilla: Going to bed?

Kamui: No, the one before that! Did you say 'take a bath together'?

Camilla: Of course. Bathing is important and we'll be doing things all day so we need to wash away the sweat and grime.

Kamui: But why together!? It would be too embarrassing!

Camilla: But you used to love taking baths with Big Sis...

Kamui: I was 6 years old!

Camilla: Come on, it will be fun. I'll scrub your back for you and you can do mine. It will be a sibling bonding experience.

Kamui: No, it's absolutely out of the question! Even as siblings, that would be unusual.

Camilla: Fine, we'll bathe separately. But I don't want you leaving my side for a moment until then.

Kamui: Okay, I'll go get ready then.

Camilla: Ah, Kamui. You're already so grown up. I feel a little wistful watching you leave your childhood behind. But then again, there are certain things only adults can experience.

B-rank

Camilla: Yoohoo, Kamui~ Come give your big sister a hug!

Kamui: Eh, what's this all of the sudden? And...why does your breath smell like wine?

Camilla: After you left early last night, I had to finish all of the wine myself. I may have had a little this morning too...

Kamui: Sister, you're going to fall down if you don't steady yourself.

Camilla: Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself. The truth is, I wanted to talk to you about something. I realized that yesterday I was too forward with the whole bathing together thing so I want to apologize to you.

Kamui: There's really no need.

Camilla: And to make up for it, I'm going to give you a massage!

Kamui: What...?

Camilla: Lately you look so pensive and I can see the stress building up in your shoulders. Just take off your shirt, lay on your stomach and Big Sister Camilla will rub away all the tension!

Kamui: Camilla, there's actually something I want to talk to you about.

Camilla: Oh? What is it?

Kamui: I really enjoy spending time with you but... lately a lot of the things we do together are more intimate than I think is normal. The bath and now this massage thing... people are going to think we have a special relationship.

Camilla: We DO have a special relationship! How many are so privileged that they can call you a sister?

Kamui: It goes beyond that! You aren't nearly as close with Elise, Leon or Marx. I just want to know why you focus so much of your attention on me.

Camilla: ...Isn't it enough to tell you that I love you as my sister?

Kamui: There must be more than that.

Camilla: ...

Kamui: Camilla?

Camilla: I'm sorry, Kamui. That's something I can't tell anyone, not even you.

Kamui: Hey, Camilla! Where are you going? ...What was that about?

A-rank

Kamui: Camilla, can we talk? You're barely speaking to anyone and every night you seclude yourself in your room to drink.

Camilla: I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me....

Kamui: I AM worried! Ever since the day before when you said that there was something you couldn't tell me, you had such a deep sadness in your eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Camilla: I'm sorry...

Kamui: Please tell me what it is. There are no secrets between sisters, right?

Camilla: ...If I tell you, will you promise you won't come to hate your sister?

Kamui: I could never come to hate you! No matter what happens, nothing will ever break our bond.

Camilla: Very well... You’re probably aware that Marx, Leon, Elise and I are born to different mothers.

Kamui: I heard, but you guys never really talked about it.

Camilla: And there is a reason for that. While Marx was born to the late Queen Katerina, the rest of us were mothered by mistresses. Though they shared a bed with Father for a time, they and their children were not guaranteed a high position in court. Nohrian society has no place for weaklings, so those who want to advance in the world have to be the strongest, the smartest and the most ruthless.

Kamui: I see…

Camilla: The main conflict started about 10 years ago. Competition among the mistresses for King Garon’s favor was fierce and nothing was off the table. Slander, poisonings, assassinations… even using their children as weapons against each other was common-place. For all the turmoil boiling throughout the country, a second secret war was being fought inside the castle walls.

Kamui: But why would Garon allow such madness?

Camilla: I told you, didn’t I? Nohr only values the strong and Garon wanted only the best of his children to succeed him.

Kamui: …

Camilla: I was 13 when the eldest daughter of Lady Reinwald, visited me at our family villa. She came under the pretense of friendship but she was really there to kill me. She nearly succeeded and I still have a scar over my left eye to show for it. I did eventually cut her down with an axe but… I wasn’t the same after that. Even as I watched my mother’s wyvern eat that girl’s body, I felt nothing. That was the first. A year later I killed one of my half-brothers, and then a half-sister and then… I just stopped thinking about who they were or why they wanted me dead. The killing became easier but I could feel my soul becoming hollow.

Kamui: Gods… it’s too horrible to even think about.

Camilla: But that all changed when I met you. When you came to us, you were an outsider, born to nothing. You’d never be allowed to advance in Nohrian society outside of Father’s direct wishes so I knew you would be left out of our power struggle. You were the one sibling I could trust and love unconditionally. Just as I was about to give into despair, you became my light.

Kamui: Camilla, why didn’t you tell me before!? Had I known you were suffering, maybe I could have…

Camilla: I wanted to tell you… but I didn’t want to scare you away. If you knew your gentle older sister was actually a cold-blooded killer, you’d never approach me again.

Kamui: I never thought that of you and I still don’t! I love you, sister.

Camilla: Kamui…for you to say that… *sobs*

Kamui: It's okay. I'm right here.

Camilla: I don't know what I did to deserve you but I don't want this moment to end.

Kamui: Dear sister, you’ve looked after me as long as I can remember, but now it’s time I look after you. Cry as long as you need to. I’ll always be there to help carry your burden.

S-rank

Kamui: Camilla, you look better since we last spoke.

Camilla: All thanks to you, Kamui. After telling you my story and being accepted...I feel so much lighter. Had you rejected me... surely my mind would be torn apart.

Kamui: I'm glad that we could connect on a deeper level.

Camilla: Still, I feel a little sad. I need you so much more than you need me and I'm afraid of being a burden on you.

Kamui: I need you just as much. This war has been draining on me... the things I've seen and done. If you weren't there to support me, I'd be lost.

Camilla: Then we're the same. When I look at you, my body feels hot and I can hardly contain myself. Does...that make you feel uncomfortable?

Kamui: I... don't know. Growing up, I always thought you were beautiful and gentle. It's embarrassing but I like the way you look at me. I want to be close to you and feel that warmth. But we're sisters so something like that is forbidden.

Camilla: Then why don't we stop being sisters?

Kamui: Camilla, you can't mean-!?

Camilla: I do. I love you Kamui, more than anyone in this world. If being sisters is the last barrier between us, I'll gladly cast it away.

Kamui: Camilla stop, this is... someone could see us!

Camilla: Then we'll just have to go somewhere where no one is watching.

Kamui: Camilla!

Camilla: I was only joking. We still have a lot to talk about, and certain precautions will need to be made but... there is one thing I will tell you now. I am yours, now and always.

Kamui: You always say the most embarrassing things... but I am yours as well. Take good care of me, Camilla.

Be gentle with your criticism. It's my first time.

I always enjoy being someone's first critic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I really like it; it adds some depth to Camilla and why she is the way she is while keeping the creep factor. I always figured you'd be a good writer, given your well thought out and oftentimes funny posts.

That being said, I feel like the A support, while not necessarily coming out of nowhere, feels slightly rushed. I think my main problem stems from one single line, and it's that Corrin was an outsider and therefore exempt from the power plays going on; that's the exact opposite of what I would think. If a "game" already has established rules, then people wouldn't appreciate a wild card; Corrin would be in a privileged position, brought in by Garon himself, and thus a huge unknown to Camilla.

It also raises the question of how Elise managed to survive all of this, especially while maintaining that chirpy disposition.

I always enjoy being someone's first critic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I really like it; it adds some depth to Camilla and why she is the way she is while keeping the creep factor. I always figured you'd be a good writer, given your well thought out and oftentimes funny posts.

That being said, I feel like the A support, while not necessarily coming out of nowhere, feels slightly rushed. I think my main problem stems from one single line, and it's that Corrin was an outsider and therefore exempt from the power plays going on; that's the exact opposite of what I would think. If a "game" already has established rules, then people wouldn't appreciate a wild card; Corrin would be in a privileged position, brought in by Garon himself, and thus a huge unknown to Camilla.

It also raises the question of how Elise managed to survive all of this, especially while maintaining that chirpy disposition.

Thanks for the feedback. The main goal of the support is to flesh out Camilla's backstory while explaining her Kamui-obsession in a way that's less about player worship and more about her emotional issues (hinted at through alcohol abuse and inappropriately intimate treatment of a younger sibling).

I felt some parts were a little rough in the A and S supports. In regards to why Kamui is the exempt from the Waifu Wars, I wanted to communicate that because Kamui is not a Nohrian (sort of a political hostage) he can't ever rise to a position of political power in Nohrian society. Garon thinks of Kamui as a special war asset so the mistresses aren't about to mess around with him. Perhaps it could be argued that she shouldn't trust Kamui because he may be more loyal to Hoshido than Nohr (which happens in Birthright) but she probably figures he was too young to even remember Hoshido. If you can think of a concise way to say that, I'm open to suggestions.

Concerning Elise, she was born around the time the Waifu Wars were ending so she was spared the carnage.

I'm thinking of writing supports for the other Nohrian siblings too. I imagine that both Leon and Kamui are easily flustered around Camilla and she enjoys teasing them. Another idea was for a Marx x Camilla support where they can discuss each others strengths and their role in the Nohrian sibling dynamic(at 29 and 23, there is a fairly significant gap in their ages to the younger siblings).

Thanks for the feedback. The main goal of the support is to flesh out Camilla's backstory while explaining her Kamui-obsession in a way that's less about player worship and more about her emotional issues (hinted at through alcohol abuse and inappropriately intimate treatment of a younger sibling).

And I think you succeeded! Did you draw inspiration from the fact that Kozaki tends to draw her with a glass of wine?

I felt some parts were a little rough in the A and S supports. In regards to why Kamui is the exempt from the Waifu Wars, I wanted to communicate that because Kamui is not a Nohrian (sort of a political hostage) he can't ever rise to a position of political power in Nohrian society. Garon thinks of Kamui as a special war asset so the mistresses aren't about to mess around with him. Perhaps it could be argued that she shouldn't trust Kamui because he may be more loyal to Hoshido than Nohr (which happens in Birthright) but she probably figures he was too young to even remember Hoshido. If you can think of a concise way to say that, I'm open to suggestions.

Concerning Elise, she was born around the time the Waifu Wars were ending so she was spared the carnage.

I realized that's what you were going for, I just don't think that's how anyone - especially someone traumatized by the conflict - would reason or react. Sadly I don't know how I would write a line that wouldn't sound like a hamfisted excuse though.

Wouldn't that mean that Elise could work just as well as a target for Camilla's affection though?

I'm thinking of writing supports for the other Nohrian siblings too. I imagine that both Leon and Kamui are easily flustered around Camilla and she enjoys teasing them. Another idea was for a Marx x Camilla support where they can discuss each others strengths and their role in the Nohrian sibling dynamic(at 29 and 23, there is a fairly significant gap in their ages to the younger siblings).

I'll be looking forward to it! I'm thinking about writing a support for the two characters that are the least likely to ever have a conversation together when I have time, so I'm open to any suggestions - right now I'm thinking of Yukimura and Kinu.

And I think you succeeded! Did you draw inspiration from the fact that Kozaki tends to draw her with a glass of wine?

That's where it started. His picture of Camilla drinking and apparently flirting with Belka got me thinking about her being a functional alcoholic (maybe similar to Tyrion Lannister in that regard). She performs her duties well but she's never far from a wine bottle.

I realized that's what you were going for, I just don't think that's how anyone - especially someone traumatized by the conflict - would reason or react. Sadly I don't know how I would write a line that wouldn't sound like a hamfisted excuse though.

Wouldn't that mean that Elise could work just as well as a target for Camilla's affection though?

I'll think about the logic behind Kamui being the "safe" sibling some more later.

In my headcanon, Camilla does dote on both Leon and Elise but not to same degree as Kamui because in the back of her mind, she still considers them as potential rivals, even though the Waifu War ended long ago. I was going to add that to A support but it was already pretty wordy and I couldn't find a good spot for it.

I'll be looking forward to it! I'm thinking about writing a support for the two characters that are the least likely to ever have a conversation together when I have time, so I'm open to any suggestions - right now I'm thinking of Yukimura and Kinu.

Bring on the crack-fic!

I'm interested to see where you'll take it. I'm interested in supports for all of the Kamui-sexuals, actually. I look at their limited supports and say

whatsyourdeal.png

I never expected for Serenesforest to be educational. Then again, you do have a portrait of Otto von Bismarck as your avatar, so I guess I should expect as much.

Well, that usually happens, at least with history, when I enter a thread, haha. Whether or not that's a good thing is open to interpretation.

Wow. I didn't think my comment would spawn all of this.

I don't know a lot about Chinese culture but didn't the emperor have an official wife in addition to concubines? Either way, it might be interesting if Marxander stayed the only child born of both a king and queen to give some tension between him and his siblings. While they all care fore each other, there might be a hint of resentment from Camilla or Leon because they had to fight tooth and nail to get where they are but Marxander was born to his position.

I think there is room for both rank by blood and rank by ability. I didn't get the impression that Nohr was a complete meritocracy.

Pretty much this re: Chinese culture. Each Emperor had an Empress, his primary wife, but could also have concubines as well. Male children borne of the primary wife had highest status within the family, but the male children born of concubines were considered legitimate and could take the throne if the primary wife's male children died or she didn't have male children, but the latter would most likely have the primary wife divorced and replaced. The number of wives a man had was also a status symbol, and for an Emperor the number of concubines could range anywhere from a dozen to six thousand. (The wives and concubines of Emperors were also often their families' way of getting into rank and wealth, and so there was a ton of political intrigue in almost every Emperor's court. Especially if the Emperor was a child or incompetent.) Also, the secondary function of concubines wasn't sexual gratification, but to ensure more heirs because of the fairly high infant mortality rate, especially pre-1000s.

tl;dr: I wouldn't recommend changing Katerina's position, no, unless you're going to replace her with a different primary wife.

I should write up my own stuff at some point, even if it probably won't ever leave the drawing board.

I was either going to make Katerina barren (if she were to stay queen, meaning Xander would not have been her child) or give him a Randy queen that was barren. But, that seems like an interesting, better idea. It looks like Katerina is staying as queen and Xander is the first prince of Nohr.

In head!canon, the society of Nohr is based heavily on the concept social Darwinism, combined with political elements from Greek, Roman, various European cultures and an absolute monarchy rule. Also the Yosuga reasoning from SMTIII: Nocturne because I am Atlus scum. As I stated in my other post, the key phrase of Nohr is "the weak is the meat the strong eat." For those wanting to get a foothold in the society of Nohr, power in some form is the only way to be recognized in the eyes of the nation. Those born into royalty or aristocracy have an innate advantage of power in the form of money and prestige, however, they are all competing among themselves to come out on top. Concubines (or mistresses if one would prefer) are there to make sure the king has an heir and to maximize his chances of gaining a child with the "right" combination of genes. The children of the concubines are encouraged to fight amongst each other, crippling each other until helpless and unable to fight or outright killing them to get them out of the way permanently, in case something unexpected pops up.

Like I said, I'm focusing on the royal family at the moment before branching and fleshing out the other aspects of the royal court and refining the general idea I have. So, all of the above is not set-in-stone.

Background: Had a chat with someone, wound up redoing Hinoka/Saizou S support. I feel that Hinoka gets a really bad rap in this support, because of the fact that the word "entrapment" has the word "entrap" in it, and anyone that's played Conquest Hard or Lunatic has been traumatized by that staff. IMO motive has a lot to do with this support, and the C-A made it pretty clear to me that Hinoka wasn't trying to get Saizou killed, she and Ryoma were putting themselves on the line to clear him (given that Hoshido's got a giant Asian motif, this is a Very Big Deal). However, the S support came out of nowhere, so I did my best to do something about that. I. . .well, wrote something.

Saizou: This is for you.

Hinoka: He's still using you as a courier, even after that debacle.

Saizou: It is my duty to fulfill my lord's request (A/N: Or something like that, with a lot less cheese)

Hinoka: Thank you. Hmmm... looks like I owe my brother one.

Saizou: I'll take my leave now.

Hinoka: Just a moment. Please read this.

Saizou: I was told not to open the letter.

Hinoka: I'm the recipient of the letter, and I'm free to do with it as I will.

Saizou: Very well... a marriage proposal? What is the meaning of this?!

Hinoka: Ryoma had a lot to say about you. I asked him for more details, and he told me about a man who was everything I wanted in a husband.

Saizou: You'd marry someone based on hearsay?

Hinoka: Your reputation for doing my brother's bidding is known to me. However, you're also a person - one who'd give candy to the children in town.

Saizou: In truth, I do not care for sweets.

Hinoka: You could've tossed the bag, or given it to one of us, or told the woman who gave it to you that you didn't like sweets - either one would've been acceptable.

Saizou: It would've been rude to waste such a gift.

Hinoka: That's what I mean - even when you're not on duty, you care about other people. If I am to be an effective princess, I need someone like that by my side.

Saizou: Very well.

Hinoka: Are you agreeing because I'm your superior?

Saizou: You were willing to put your reputation on the line to save mine. You've trusted me with your strengths and weaknesses. My life would be in your hands, even if you were a commoner.

Hinoka: Thank you...

Personally I find the direct comparison of Nohr to historical Christianized Europe to be erroneous- mostly because its depiction in general is extremely areligious. There's no evidence in-game whatsoever for an institution compared to the Catholic Church or any other religious institution within Nohr proper, lacking even "priest" healing units. The only Nohrian character I can recall mentioning prayer/religion at all is Foleo/Forest, even then it's vague and passing at best. I don't count Garon's yelling at the ceiling because all surrounding characters react like this was an abnormal happening. Therefore demanding that Nohr's mores be in line with any period of Christianized European history and attitudes towards monogamy is a bit off the mark in my opinion.

Please also note that the original Japanese script for FE14 used words that had connotations for both Concubine or Mistress in relation to the Nohrian Royal sibs supports, so there's room for valid interpretation with either.

With Hoshido it's very obviously inspired by historical Japan but also has many moments of dissonance if you try to match them up exactly, such as: Historically the throne was always taken by a male heir of the bloodline if was one living, regardless of age (toddlers ascended the throne) and never would've gone to the foreign queen like Mikoto. Also the word for mistress/concubine never comes up anywhere within narrative/supports for Hoshidan characters and yet the timeline demands that both Ikona and Mikoto coexisted while married to Sumeragi at the same time. However only one of these women are talked about/actively named within the narrative/supports and overall Hoshido seems to be going for a "wholesome" tone which is most easily accomplished for a modern audience with the nuclear family set up; which directly contrasts with Nohr's multiple competing mothers set up.

So while history is a good place for research I don't think it can strictly define Nohr and Hoshido because they're made up fantasy lands (and the game's worldbuilding is pretty shaky to begin with). Nohr has mounted knights and cross-shaped hilts, but it seems to be more from general medieval European fantasy inspiration (in the Japanese script only Nohrian units had "knight" in the class names). Hoshido lacks units on horses despite Bushido literally translating as "the way of the horse and bow". So in terms of fanwork trying to improve the setting, personal discretion goes a long way.

Edited by Damosel

I do want to apologize for not really posting anything - I genuinely want to do stuff, it's just depression has been putting me in a mood of some werid... "i want to, but i don't want to do anything" so things'll be slow until I get better I guess?

That being said I'm not giving this up and while I haven't written things I've been writing down ideas and sorting such out.

So yeah sorry for not really doing anything. My fault.

I do want to apologize for not really posting anything - I genuinely want to do stuff, it's just depression has been putting me in a mood of some werid... "i want to, but i don't want to do anything" so things'll be slow until I get better I guess?

That being said I'm not giving this up and while I haven't written things I've been writing down ideas and sorting such out.

So yeah sorry for not really doing anything. My fault.

Don't be sorry about that. Real life (and especially mental health) takes priority over fanfiction. Trust me, trying to force yourself to write isn't going to help and will only make things worse.

Because I like it when completely different and unlikely characters have a support, here's one for Midoriko and Fuuga (C-A, you sick bastards)

[spoiler=Fuuga x Midoriko C-A]

C

Midoriko: Hm hm hm~ I can’t rhyme but it’s herb gathering time~ hm hm hm~ - Eh? Who’s that?

Fuuga: Hue hue hue hue…

Midoriko: L-Lord Fuuga?
You seem to be in a…creepily good mood.

Fuuga: Oh, uh…is that you M-Midoriko? Wow…when did you grow two feet?

Midoriko: W-What are you talking about?! I’m the same as always…I think?

Fuuga: No I’m…I’m pretty sure there’s something off with you…

Midoriko: Lord Fuuga, you’re acting really weird! Wait, what’s that sticking out of your pocket?

Fuuga: Oh…I found…my favorite kind of mushroom! I didn’t think they…they…they…grew so far away from home.

Midoriko: You ATE them?! Those mushrooms are poisonous and eating them can have a whole bunch of strange effects, mild hallucinations being one of the least dangerous!

Fuuga: …That would explain…the talking rock...hue hue…

Midoriko: Geez, I can’t believe the chieftain of the Wind Clan would go off into the forest alone and eat random mushrooms!

Fuuga: …Please don’t tell my mom…

Midoriko: *Sigh* Alright Buster, come on, we’re going back to camp!

Fuuga: Sure but…how? We don’t have any feet…oh no wait, that was the other guys…

B

Midoriko: Well, it seems the worst has passed. I’m amazed, Lord Fuuga, I’ve never heard of anyone recovering so quickly from Blackwood Mushroom poisoning before!

Fuuga: I’m sure it’s all thanks to your medicine, little lady. Thank you for your hard work.

Midoriko: I’ll have you know I’m just as much of a grown up as you! Maybe even more, since I don’t put whatever’s on the ground into my mouth!

Fuuga: Oh, of course, of course. Then I’ll have to ask you to drop the “lord” nonsense and talk to me as an equal, lit- Midoriko.

Midoriko: Sure thing! Now, this is usually the part where my patients start asking me not to tell all of their friends how they ended up here…

Fuuga: Hah! Why in the blazes would I do that? This is a hilarious story! I can’t wait to tell everyone back home about it over a few ice cold beers!

Midoriko: Eh? But all that rambling and puking, isn’t that embarrassing, especially for someone of your standing?

Fuuga: Bah, sure, but those stories are usually the ones that get the loudest laugh, and as a fellow grownup, surely you know that we all need to laugh at ourselves every once in a while.

Midoriko: O-Of course I knew that! In fact, I knew it more than you! I-I was just making sure that mushroom wasn’t still clouding your judgement!

Fuuga: Ah, I see. I thank you again for your dedication, Midoriko. What would this army do without you?

Midoriko: Ehehehe~…

Fuuga: But, purely hypothetically, if you were still a kid, what would you want to do today? It’s a beautiful day outside, and the army isn’t going anywhere for a while; even Ryouma seems to be relaxing more than usual.

Midoriko: W-Well, if I didn’t have so much work to do, I’d love to go out for a walk…or go to town and buy some new clothes…

Fuuga: …

Midoriko: Oh, and I’d probably want to buy a few sweets while in town as well…or maybe play some shogi with Father, as he promised we’d do today…

Fuuga: I see…

Midoriko: B-But that’s only hypothetically, obviously! A-And Father promised we’d play exactly one week from now! So I’ll just have to wait a little!

Fuuga: A we-?! I-I see, Suzukaze is indeed a busy man. Just…don’t forget that he works hard for your sake, alright? Don’t start thinking otherwise in case it doesn’t seem like he has time for you.

Midoriko: ! …I’ve never thought that, that’d be silly…Anyway, you need to get some rest, and I need to start preparing your last round of medicine!

Fuuga: Well, that was depressing. A week, huh…?

A

Midoriko: *Sniffle* Waaah…*hic*

Fuuga: Midoriko? Are you in here?

Midoriko: F-Fuuga? W-Wait, give me a moment, I’m in the middle of *hic* making some very delicate medicine…yes…medicine…

Fuuga: Take your time.

Midoriko: …

Fuuga: …

Midoriko: Okay, you can come in now!

Fuuga: Hello there! Oh, slow day today, huh?

Midoriko: Yes, but I don’t mind, it gives me time to work on some other things! And if no one is here, then that means no one is hurt!

Fuuga: Oh, sure but…doesn’t it get a bit lonely?

Midoriko: O-Of course not, I-I don’t mind being alone in a dark tent w-while it’s raining and…and F-Father d-didn’t…d-didn’t…

Fuuga: When I was a kid, I was terrified of thunder.

Fuuga: In fact, I still get a bit nervous whenever it starts raining like this.

Midoriko: Y-You do?

Fuuga: Sure, we’re all afraid of something; there’s no shame in admitting that.

Fuuga: There’s also no shame in crying if you feel down.

Midoriko: *Sniff*…Waaaaaaaaaaah! F-Father! He promised!

Fuuga: There there…I’m sure he got a very important mission to take care of.

Midoriko: He always h-has to do something that’s more important than me!

Fuuga: I’m sure he feels terrible over having to cancel your plans. Remember what I said: he fights for you; nothing is more important to him than you are.

Midoriko: H-How can you know?

Fuuga: Because I’m a father too, you know. All fathers have a sixth sense when it comes to things like these.

Midoriko: *Hic*

Fuuga: He will definitely make it up to you when he gets back, and then you’ll forget all about this. However, until that time, I was wondering if you could help me out with these.

Midoriko: Woah! Those sweets look delicious!

Fuuga: I thought so too. Can you keep another little secret? I’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth.

Midoriko: Hehehe…a big guy like you?

Fuuga: A big guy like me. My favorites also happen to be these pink, fluffy things that look like bunnies.

Midoriko: Hahaha!

Fuuga: Oh, suddenly I feel a bit lightheaded. It would probably be for the best if I spent a few hours here while you keep an eye on me, just to make sure I don’t get worse. As a thank you, I could teach you a few shogi strategies so you can really kick your father’s rear when he gets back.

Midoriko: Oh! Okay! Hang on, I’ll go get the board!

Fuuga: Heh, look at her go…

Notes: Fuuga's roster tidbit says he's the most loved by kids in the army, so I imagine him being less of a warrior and more of a teddy bear around them, which is also why he says "rear" instead of "ass" at the end there.

I'm so proud of my jab at Awakening's lack of feet

Fresh off the presses, a new support. I thought it would be neat if Selkie had a personality so I gave her one!

[spoiler=Oboro x Selkie C-A]

C-rank

Selkie: Four, five, six gold pieces. Kya ha ha. This city is full of such gullible people. I feel like a fox left alone in the hen-house. They almost make this too easy.

Oboro: Stop right there, criminal scum!

Selkie: Tsk, someone was eavesdropping? No matter, there isn't a man alive that can resist my charms... Hello Miss!

Oboro: Hmph, I heard there was a thieving fox around here but I didn't know they meant it literally.

Selkie: Dear me, are you sure this isn't a case of mistaken identity?

Oboro: Blonde hair, red kimono top with fur trim and a white, silk under-robe. Just like what was reported.

Selkie: Well, you have done your homework, but I still feel you are mistaken. Everything on my person was acquired lawfully.

Oboro: I don't believe you. An army stipend isn't nearly enough to purchase such high quality fabrics. Which means you must have stolen them!

Selkie: Nonsense, I happen to be a major patron of fashion. I'd never resort to stealing. (What's with that glowering face? Even when I'm telling the truth, she makes me feel guilty...)

Oboro: Oh, then how about we talk to those merchants and ask if they've seen you before.

Selkie: T-there's no need to make a scene. Look, I'll show you my receipts to prove my innocence.

Oboro: ...You did purchase these! But where did you get the money?

Selkie: Gifted to me by generous men with heavy purses. Now, are we settled?

Oboro: No, we're not. I misjudged you and I should apologize.

Selkie: Y'know what speaks louder than words is actions. If you buy me that scarf over there, I think I'll be able to forgive you for making false accusations.

Oboro: (Tsk, 60 silver pieces for one item. But I do need to make amends...) Alright, here you are.

Selkie: Wow, you really bought it! Thank you for your generosity, Miss...Oboro, was it? I'd love to stick around and chat some more but I have another appointment. Tata~

Oboro: She's gone...I shouldn't be so quick to judge people. Wait, just because she purchased them legally, doesn't mean she acquired the money legally. Drat, getting that scarf must have been part of her plan too. Where did that fox get off to!?

B-rank

Selkie: Kya ha ha, another big haul! With this money I'll be able to feast on turkey tonight. Maybe two!

Oboro: There you are, Selkie.

Selkie: WAAAAAH! How...how do you keep sneaking up on me!? Why don't you greet people normally?

Oboro: I did greet you normally. You're the one off in your own world.

Selkie: I see... well, how can I help you?

Oboro: Last time we spoke you mentioned getting "gifts" from men with heavy purses. Something about that seems suspect.

Selkie: I thought we settled that matter. I already told you, they just give me the money.

Oboro: And why would they just give it to you?

Selkie: It's all very simple. I find people in fancy clothes who look like they could spare a few coins and I invite myself into their party. I win them over with my looks and conversation and then I get them to buy me the things I like. If they start to get grabby, I lose myself in the crowd and look for a new patron. I even made a game out of it.

Oboro: Don't you think that is cheating people out of their gold?

Selkie: Not at all. They get the pleasure of my company for an evening and I get to go shopping to my heart's content. I'd say both parties are well compensated.

Oboro: How vain... Look, I think you need to stop your 'business' and find more wholesome ways of making money. You could get some real negative attention.

Selkie: It's not easy for me... When I first came down from my village to the human cities I was dazzled by all the goods I saw. The thing is, we foxes don't have a use for currency in our village so I didn't have a copper piece to my name. I don't have trade skills nor anything to market so I'm as poor as a pauper without people's...donations.

Oboro: I understand your feelings. When I was a child, I helped out in my parents fabric shop. There was a certain kimono that I wanted but it was far above what my parents could afford to just give me. I worked hard for several weeks, scouting work for my parents and selling things on the side. Eventually I earned enough to purchase it with my own money and made my parents proud of my determination. You'd be able to appreciate your things more too if you put in some honest work.

Selkie: Hmm, I wonder.

Thug: There she is, that two-timing bitch!

Selkie: W-who are you?

Thug: Ha! Did you really forget about me? I'll be taking back the money you took from me and then some.

Oboro: Whatever she owes you, I'll pay it. There's no need for violence.

Thug: It's far past that point now. She'll need to pay in blood!

Selkie: Eep!

Oboro: Not while I'm standing here!

<battle sounds>

Oboro: Phew. That low-life will think twice before attacking us again.

Selkie: Because of me, you got your robes cut up...

Oboro: It's nothing that I can't fix with some stitching. More importantly, neither of us were injured.

Selkie: Still, I need to repay you for helping me.

Oboro: If you want to repay me, Selkie, you can stay out of trouble from now on. I'll see you around camp, okay?

Selkie: This won't do... Father always told me that debts need to be paid back completely and in a timely matter. But what can give her?

A-rank

Selkie: Hey, Oboro, you there?

Oboro: Ah, Selkie. This is probably the first time you sought me out. You haven't been getting into mischief again, have you?

Selkie: No, I've played around for enough. Lately I've been working hard like you told me to and I made this for you.

Oboro: Wow! What is this cloth made of? It reflects the light so beautifully and it's incredibly soft!

Selkie: Of course it's soft, I made it with my own fur. I'm going to look like a fashion disaster until it grows back but I do feel a little proud of my work.

Oboro: Thank you for your gift, but isn't it a little much?

Selkie: It's the best gift I could think of and worth exactly what you gave me. I understand now that my actions affect more people than just me and I can't act selfishly to get all the things I want.

Oboro: I'm glad that you took the advice to heart. I used to think you were quite devious but I know now that you are someone I can trust.

Selkie: Oh stop it, you'll make me blush.

Oboro: Say, Selkie. Have you ever considered selling your fur?

Selkie: Eh? People buy this sort of thing?

Oboro: Of course! Spirit fox fur is incredibly rare! People would pay a fortune to have bits of it sewn into their collars and cufflinks.

Selkie: Well, you would be the expert of this sort of thing. I'm not too good with numbers so maybe I can just donate some to your business and you can sell it for me.

Oboro: It would be OUR business, but yes, let's do it. I'm confident that you'll be well fed and dressed after we make a few sales.

Selkie: Sounds like a plan. Just don't ask for too much. I need to keep my fur perfectly groomed if I'm to go outside where people will see me.

I finally finished this support. I'm a bit anxious and embarrassed to post it. Please point out any grammatical errors and please critique this. I went vanilla with some Mamui x Jakob.

[spoiler=Notes Before Reading Support]*Canicus/Kagutsuchi are the names of my head!canon MU.

*Muspelheim refers to the MU personal weapon. It is a Flame Lance.

*Joker/Jakob is not a servant. He is still an aristocrat.

*Dialogue has been color coded for ease.

*I extended the length of the support by making the A+ Rank have a proper support. All supports—same sex or opposite sex—will likely have an A+ Rank to wrap things up, for lack of better words.

[spoiler=Mamui x Joker C-A+]Rank C

Canicus: Joker, I would like to play a game.
Joker: Very well, milord. What will it be? Chess? Hazard? Merelles?
Canicus: Don't be coy, Joker. You know what game.
Joker: I see. Shall I retrieve the cards, then?
Canicus: No, I have them here.
Joker: I see you come prepared. Eager for another lesson in losing Klaberjass?
Canicus: Don't forget your place, Joker. There is only so much taunting I can take before igniting.
Joker: You do indeed have a way with fire—I would rather not return to ashes and dust just yet.
Canicus: Good. Then I suggest you shut your mouth and deal the cards.
Joker: But of course, milord.
Canicus: Blast it all! This is the—
Joker: Fifty-fourth.
Canicus: —fifty-fourth time I have lost to you at this damnable game! What am I doing wrong!? Tell me!
Joker: Klaberjass is a game requiring a fine strategic balance of technical skill, luck, reading the opponent, taking inferences and bluffing. To be blunt, milord, you are lacking several of those elements—particularly in reading emotions and hiding your own.
Canicus: ... ... ...
Joker: I have several exercises and written guides that guarantee a poker face that rivals even that of Beruka. I suggest you study them or you will never beat me—and I doubt you would want to lose a fifty-fifth time.
Joker: Lord Canicus?
Joker: What is that smo—? Ah, milord! You're burning a hole through the table!
Joker: M-milord, what are you doing? Why are you brandishing Muspelheim?
Joker: Ahem. I believe I shall leave you to, uh, cool down. By your leave...
Canicus: To the training field. Now.
Joker: ...Oh dear.
Rank B
Canicus: Joker.
Joker: Ah, good evening, milord. What brings you here so late?
Canicus: Those burns...
Joker: These? Well, you did this. They are but minor burns, however. I am quite resistant; I have to be or I would be unfit to be your retainer.
Joker: Do not make that face, milord. See? This is the reason you have yet to win a game of Klaberjass against me.
Canicus: ...Your taunting makes it difficult to be remorseful, Joker. *sigh* Your words, however... They do have a grain of truth to them.
Joker: Is that so? I take it you have decided to undergo my lessons, then?
Canicus: I never said that.
Joker: Then, you resign yourself to lose to me eternally?
Canicus: No. Instead... tell me how you came to be so skilled at hiding behind a poker face.
Joker: There is little to tell, milord. We come from similar upbringings—one where power is the most coveted commodity.
Joker: Whereas martial prowess is emphasized in your world, monetary prowess and interpersonal connections are the key to mine.
Joker: Detachment and suppression comes naturally when schmoozing blue bloods; wearing your emotions on your sleeves formed cracks and allowed competitors to seep into them.
Canicus: You tell me this, as if none of it applies to me.
Joker: Oh, it does—but to a much lesser scale. Tell the truth, milord. How much of your time in Castle Krakenburg has been spent licking the boots of another?
Joker: How much of your life has been planned since the moment you first drew breath?
Joker: Have you ever spent sleepless nights studying science and literature simply to impress the obese wife of a baron?
Joker: Have you ever been forever bound to another, not out of love, but to secure the money and lineage of families that will more than likely go broke when an imbecile inevitably becomes leader?
Canicus: Joker...
Joker: You have an advantage over me than can never be overcome, no matter what I do. You have the power and place in society that makes you a player.
Joker: I, on the other hand, was destined to be little more than a game piece to be played since the moment of my conception. I learned my place early.
Joker: To be an effective pawn, it requires that one realizes how they feel in any given moment is irrelevant. In the grand scheme, they are but dominos meant to be toppled over.
Joker: I merely apply such logic to my strategies of any game that I play—and I win them without issue.
Joker: Now then, shall I retrieve the necessary supplies for my regime? I doubt my spiel did any in assisting your play style.
Canicus: *leaves*
Joker: Lord Canicus!? Where are you going!?
Joker: Hm. Such a pained expression on his face. Was it something that I said...?
Rank A
Joker: Lord Canicus? Are you well? You seem a bit out of sorts lately. There have not been any mentions of you setting fire to Lord Leo's cloaks or Lady Camilla's satin sheets this past week.
Canicus: Oh...?
Joker: Milord?
Canicus: Joker, do you remember what you told me the other evening? When you were dressing your wounds?
Joker: Somewhat. Is there something in particular?
Canicus: You told me that, in this world, I was born a player and that you were born a pawn.
Joker: Ah, that. I apologize if my words upset you—I was not criticizing you or showing rancor. I was merely telling truths.
Canicus: And yet, you were not.
Joker: ...Pardon?
Canicus: You seem to have a rather romanticized view of my life, Joker. You call yourself a pawn—but, in reality, I am one as well.
Joker: Why would you ever think that, milord? You are a prince of Nohr! One of the strongest and most talented! If I could be only a fraction of what you are, I—!
Joker: ... ... ...
Joker: Forgive me, Lord Canicus. I spoke out of turn.
Canicus: You know, Joker...
Canicus: I haven't always been strong. Nor have I always been a prince of Nohr.
Canicus: And I haven't always been the son of King Garon.
Joker: Huh?
Canicus: It may come as a surprise to you but I was once a prince of Hoshido.
Joker: WHAT!?
Canicus: I was taken as a young child and imprisoned within Castle Krakenburg as a political hostage.
Canicus: During that time, I...I cried until I fell ill. I cried for my mother. For my father. For my brother and sister. For anyone to come save me.
Canicus: But none came to my rescue.
Joker: Lord Canicus...
Canicus: Father didn't lie when he told me of the circumstances. While I hated him for kidnapping me, I still listened to his words, for my sorrow had since then turned to burning rage for those that had abandoned me.
Canicus: He took me for a simple reason: to shame King Sumeragi and prove his superiority over his eternal rival.
Canicus: Father then posed a question. He asked, "Do you hate me for snatching you away or do you hate your father more for leaving you to die?"
Canicus: At first, I thought it was a trick question. I thought he would kill me if I told him I hated him. I answered with what I thought he wanted to hear—and, honestly, it was how I felt at the moment.
Canicus: He laughed, loud and booming, as he placed a hand on my head. "Very well. You are my child. No longer shall you be son of Sumeragi. Today, you are the son of Garon. Today, you are Canicus."
Joker: Milord...
Canicus: Do you know how the heir to the throne is chosen in Nohr, Joker?
Joker: ...I am sure you will tell me, milord.
Canicus: Heh. Yes, I will.
Canicus: The king and queen give birth to a child, the high prince or princess. They will inherit the throne, unless certain...happenstance...occurs.
Canicus: The king will then take on several concubines over the years. In the history of our fifteen kings, no more than fifty concubines have been taken at a time but there have been no less than twenty. He will then lie with them all, fathering as many offspring as possible.
Canicus: From there, the games begin.
Joker: ...Oh dear...
Canicus: The princes and princesses are pitted against each other, encouraged by both Father—who is eager to have the most capable take his place as ruler—and the mothers, who are more concerned with rising from their stations than their own children's lives. There is no limit to how far one can go or who one can kill. Not even the high prince or princess is safe from assassination.
Canicus: The court erupted when Father announced me as his son. I was the unknown element—I could make or break someone's future.
Canicus: My first day as a prince of Nohr, I had several women doting over me. Childless women, I know now. For a fleeting moment, I felt warmth and kindness.
Canicus: My first night as a prince of Nohr, I had a girl straddling me, ready to plunge a dagger into my skull. From that moment onward, I have felt only bitter loneliness.
Joker: Lord Canicus... Please stop. You don't have to... You don't have to continue, milord.
Canicus: ...I was not meant to come this far; Father didn't expect me to exceed his expectations. He claimed me as his son but he assumed I would perish to one of his demented brood.
Canicus: It was a win-win for him, regardless of what happened.
Joker: ...Why have you not attempted to return to Hoshido, milord? You are more than strong enough. And I am sure that your family misses you, their prince.
Canicus: If I were truly loved and missed, why have I still been in Nohr for the past fifteen years?
Canicus: ...Besides... Would you follow if I were to leave?
Joker: ...! I-I...
Canicus: ...That was stupid of me. Forget I ever asked. *leaves*
Joker: ...I'm sorry, milord.
Rank A+
Joker: Lord Canicus.
Canicus: Joker.
Canicus: Wha—!? Get off the dirty floor! What are doing!?
Joker: Groveling at your feet for your forgiveness, milord.
Canicus: Joker, what—?
Joker: As I listened to you that day, when you spilled your heart to me, I realized I was wrong. So very wrong.
Joker: ...I was both ignorant and arrogant in my thinking. I criticized your ability to read others, but it was I that was lacking. I insulted you, fueled by the anger at my lot in life. As well as...envy. Of you.
Canicus: Envy...?
Joker: Yes. Envy.
Joker: I watch you stand strong and proud as you go out into the world. I gaze at you on the battlefield and the mere glimpse of you and Muspelhiem causes enemies to quake in terror. I see you snap your fingers and all you could ever want is placed before you without a question.
Joker: ...I saw you free from the chains of fate that tie me down.
Joker: When you first approached me with offer to be your retainer, I told you my name was "Joker." I chose this name because I wanted to be just that—a "wild card" that was not restricted by the roles forced upon me.
Canicus: Joker...
Joker: But, you are not free, milord. I was wrong. I was blind to your suffering. We are both slaves in this world just the same—and it was because of how well-crafted your poker face that I only just realized.
Joker: For my inadequacies, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. And, from this moment onward, I wish to rededicate myself to being your faithful retainer, willing to walk into the very fires of hell. Just for you.
Canicus: ... ... ... *sniff* ... ... ...
Joker: Milord!? Are you cr—!?
Canicus: Don't look at me.
Canicus: ... ... ... *sniff* ... ... ...
Jakob: ... ... ...
Canicus: Get up.
Joker: ...Milord?
Canicus: Get. Up.
Joker: Ack! Careful with the lapels, milord! They take time to iron each morning!
Canicus: Your name.
Joker: W-what, milord?
Canicus: Tell me your name.
Joker: Ah, that is... My name... It is Jakob.
Canicus: Jakob, then.
Canicus: Thank you, Joker. For your sincerity and devotion as my retainer. I could not ask for more.
Jakob: Milord...
Canicus: ...And, Jakob... My name is...Kagutsuchi. It is...nice to meet you.
Joker: Milord...!? That—!
Canicus: I hope that you and I, Jakob, can become close friends. Please...take care of me.

Joker: ...To the best of my abilities. Kagutsuchi...

Speaking of supports, Thane, NekoKnight, I thought both of your supports were really good.

...I would say more but my brain hurts from typing and editing all of that in the spoiler tags.

Edited by SaiSymbolic