Real names or made up names in fantasy and sci-fi?

Knight

26 members have voted

1. 1. In Fantasy?

• Made-up names are cool
    • Real world names work fine enough
    • A mix can be interesting
    • Old, archaic and mythological references FTW
  2. 2. In Sci-fi?

• Real-world names for both humans and aliens
    • Real-world names for humans, made-up ones for aliens
    • Made-up names for all! Who knows what names will exist in 2XXX?

This a question that arose in my mind while writing. Plenty of fantasy stories, like The Lord of the Rings, use made up names for the characters, often with some linguistic inspiration. Other fantasy stories, such as Fire Emblem, use mostly real names, but often old, archaic or referential names. Sci-Fi can go either way too. Sometimes you can end up with a mix. So I was wondering what people's opinions were. Do you think made-up names adds something to the story, or do you like familiar, real-world names?

I always liked fantasy that mixed both fantastical names with the mundane, even games do it from time to time, with Sci-Fi its typical imo to stick with normal human like names, and then create names for your Alien creatures.

Terry Brooks likes the former quite a bit.

Edited by Jedi

For fantasy, I like using real-life names and using already existing impressions.

What I mean is using names of the same origins for such and such nations so that when the player meet a new name he can guess what is its origin just like we do in real life.

And making up names is hard.

As long as there's enough consistency/plausibility to avoid breaking the suspension of disbelief, I'm happy with anything. Situations where there's a notable difference in name types based on geography/culture (different names for humans/aliens being the most straightforward example of this, it's more interesting/harder to do when the name differences aren't separated by a species divide) tend to be the best at this.

Also, the names have to actually sound like names. That makes or breaks whether made-up names work. Dalinar? Works great. Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor? Don't try saying that in public.

• 1 month later...

i'm too used to weird guys like Yoshiyuki Tomino and Mamoru Nagano to care if a name is real or not, as long as it's fun anything goes. if i wanna name a character Seabook Arno, i'll name a character Seabook Arno. if i wanna name a character Maximum HOLTFORS Ballance Kaien, i WILL name a character Maximum HOLTFORS Ballance Kaien.

(although i DO want to know what the hell those guys are smoking when they make these names, like just look at this)

I vote a mix for Sci Fi too.

You can name somebody whatever you want in "real life". Beezow Doo-doo Zopittybop-bop-bop is a real person.

On that note I feel like bringing up the fact that I legally changed my middle name to Boulian (pronounced like Boolean).

Edited by Jotari