Corrin/Kamui in Smash

Limstella

"git gud" is a lot easier said than done in my case though. I don't seem to get any better no matter how much I try. I still get two or three-stocked no matter who I use most of the time. I just don't understand how everything really works, I guess. I might have been pretty good at Brawl, but the slower gameplay was probably the main reason. Smash 4 is quicker.

I was able to fix my recovery issue with Corrin, though. Still, it obviously isn't enough to make me good at Smash. I've decided that I'm done putting myself through this disappointment and just won't play anymore. I'm sorry to those who wanted to see me get better, and I don't REALLY want to give up. I honestly hate giving up. But I don't feel I have a choice here. I might've said a few times before that I was done playing, but this time I really mean it.

Yanno, there's a way to get better at the game, and you won't get there by just simply playing match after match, as I've discovered. Sometimes it takes just finding the right video to gain ideas (Alpharad's "How to Play 101" surprisingly helped my Marth game, along with Ike) and then try them out in practice mode. And when you do practice, I'd recommend, in my personal experience, playing in varying motion speeds, as it trains your mind to be able to actually SEE what moves you can or can't pull off against an opponent by having a better window to see just what it is you're doing wrong, along with training your reaction time, so you know what to do, what you actually CAN do, and when you can, when the time comes. By playing in slow motion, you'll notice which of your moves may be more risky in there star up/ending that your opponent WILL punish you for, if they notice, and are fast enough to react to. You'll find that honing your own reflexes can really work wonders where you would otherwise just learn the character, who, no matter what they potentially can do, will only do so much as what you are capable of. For this reason i swhy I can't really play many of the faster character, since that requires being quick on your feet and decisive, with the options they have and the windows of when they can do them.

I can tell you that it wasn't until the time I (regretfully) faced off against Inui in Brawl one time that I realized just how bad at Smash I really was, having never played competitively. Looking at me now, I'd say that I still kinda suck to some degree (tho that may just be me being modest), but I'm also MUCH better than I was before. To the point that I'm apparently one of the people to beat in my university, whose only ever lost to maybe 2 1/2 people at best (and by lose, I mean that I lose to them consecutively. I went against this one other person, and he beat me only once, in the one 1v1 we were able to squeeze in). When I'm not playing with anyone, I generally just play against the CPU on my 3DS so that I don't rust, but I don't really play online either for th evarying degrees of satisfaction and disappointment.

All in all, don't just give up cause the going's getting tough. You don't have to be the best player; but for me, just knowing that I can at least put up a fight is satisfaction enough for me to keep trying. Perhaps that same ideology can do you justice as well.

That being said, I like Corrin as well. A little disappointed at his running speed, but DRAGON LUNGE. I LOVE THAT MOVE.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well, videos and all sound good and all, but now I feel like if I change my mind again, things will just repeat themselves. I'll change my mind, start playing again, keep sucking, then quit again, then change my mind again and the cycle continues...

But I suppose I actually don't have to quit Smash entirely, I just can't play with human players.

We played together? I don't remember... Maybe you had a different username or something. But nice that you enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear that. But I just don't feel like playing with people anymore, I'm sorry...

I don't seem to get any better no matter how much I try.

Honestly, I think your problem here is that you give up too soon. How long have you been trying (as in, how many hours have you put into this)?

People don't learn the piano in one day. People don't learn football in one day. People don't learn Spanish in a day.

Heck, think about it. How long did it take you to learn English?

Why would you learn Smash in a day?

Like from what it sounds like, you didn't learn Corrin in a day.

And from talking with a lot of the Corrin players in this thread, they haven't learned Corrin in a day. No one has. If you're calling them masters, you've got a very low definition of a master.

Find people to play with and just play. Lots. Repetition will help you figure things out because you're immersed in it. Involve yourself in your learning and you'll learn. It's not going to be a quick process; learning never is. If you want to get good at anything (music, language, sports, cooking, etc) you need to involve yourself in it. Otherwise, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Giving up and swearing off Smash after the first day is a knee-jerk reaction more than anything else. Yes, losing sucks (especially when you've got a competitive personality). Yes, "git gud" is awful advice that's more discouraging than anything else. But if you want to get good, you need to intentionally put time into this.

(which is why I don't bother getting good because I don't have the time to get good)

We were in discussion of of spike recovery.

Wall tech jump -> sideb jump -> second jump -> upb w/ ledgesnap = better recovery than Little Mac

We played together? I don't remember... Maybe you had a different username or something. But nice that you enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear that. But I just don't feel like playing with people anymore, I'm sorry...

You can always try a game or two with me~! Highlights will include me walking off of the platform on my own volition and dying to the sandbag.

(well, maybe not the latter, but I do the former a LOT)

I like characters that are somewhat fast, but not on a permanent caffeine rush. Just how fast is Corrin, relatively speaking?

BADLY.

My opponents don't kill me, I kill me. I'm very good at missing edge grabs, and Corrin's recovery doesn't encourage me. SEND HELP!

I could help you, if you'd like! :)

Corrin is so amazing. This character has so many options as well. Good stun for follow up at mid to high percent, b-air helps edge guarding and recovery, tilts are on point as well, and smash attacks are so good(forward smash MVP). I know some tricks so I can help anyone if they want. Corrin will be my secondary once I learn everything. Ike buff though, my main Vanguard looking clean. Btw his Jab is so good.

Btw Smash takes time

Edited by Radiance

I got to play Corrin and thought he was was meh at first, his forward smash is really strong but the sweet spot is limited, his side b is too situational for me, the opponent has to be a short distance from the ground to keep'em pinned and you can be easily counter attacked especially if your waiting to get the right distance to pin your opponent, neutral special is powerful but suffers the same weakness that all other fire emblem neutral specials have that they are so difficult to land out side of team fights or if the opponent make a mistake. I also didnt like the hit box on his up smash, looks pretty cool though. I found his neutral game pretty good.

but after playing against other Corrins I've had such a tough time dealing with them I dont know if the opponent is just really good or if Corrin is, I'm sure he is good I just can't play him well and I don't know why. But I still think his side special is so lame I wish the creators thought of something else and I just dont see how you'll use it as an attack (I've seen the utility of it)

Kamui's side B is pretty much anti-roll. As is everything they have.

Take advantage of spacing. They're Marth... except you have to be a little farther away.

Side B is a wonderful move for movement and reads. It just has a high learning curve to use effectively.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't remember seeing Kamui with a short recovery, it's was like Roy's recovery but it go a little more far.

Unless Sakurai used the nerf card.

Edit: Oh nvm, it is a short range recovery.

Edited by Nym

I just got Corrin today (and I prefer the male version unlike most people) andonce I figured out Dragon lunge, I was going pretty well with him. He really fits my play style, though his recovery is much shorter than Pit's (my current main) but I don't have too much trouble with him unless I get knocked really far. If only tilt attacks were excuted well on the 3DS, I heard that Corrin can combo well with them.

Honestly, I think your problem here is that you give up too soon. How long have you been trying (as in, how many hours have you put into this)?

People don't learn the piano in one day. People don't learn football in one day. People don't learn Spanish in a day.

Heck, think about it. How long did it take you to learn English?

Why would you learn Smash in a day?

Like from what it sounds like, you didn't learn Corrin in a day.

And from talking with a lot of the Corrin players in this thread, they haven't learned Corrin in a day. No one has. If you're calling them masters, you've got a very low definition of a master.

Find people to play with and just play. Lots. Repetition will help you figure things out because you're immersed in it. Involve yourself in your learning and you'll learn. It's not going to be a quick process; learning never is. If you want to get good at anything (music, language, sports, cooking, etc) you need to involve yourself in it. Otherwise, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Giving up and swearing off Smash after the first day is a knee-jerk reaction more than anything else. Yes, losing sucks (especially when you've got a competitive personality). Yes, "git gud" is awful advice that's more discouraging than anything else. But if you want to get good, you need to intentionally put time into this.

(which is why I don't bother getting good because I don't have the time to get good)

Uh, it's not about Corrin, it's about Smash in general. Sure, I don't play Smash every day, but I've been playing it for a long time. It's not like I just picked up the game a few days ago. I HAVE put time into it. Looked at some videos, even. Played plenty of people in plenty of matches. Even did a couple tourneys (of course, I almost never won a single match).

I'm fine with losing every now and then. I don't understand some characters as well as others and there will be players that will just throw me surprises. But I'd like to be good enough to where I'm not losing just about every single game by two or three stocks...

HUH. You can recover from a dair offstage if you did so on the top of your first jump and hold BACK while doing your up b. The up b naturally goes forward and kills vertical distance. If you hold back from the direction you're recovering from, you can increase it to almost a Marth dolphin slash.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Kamui's side B is pretty much anti-roll. As is everything they have.

Take advantage of spacing. They're Marth... except you have to be a little farther away.

Side B is a wonderful move for movement and reads. It just has a high learning curve to use effectively.

Yiss. I love that move and have been messing around with it to see just all it can do. I feel like i didnt even find half of its uses. Corrin is all about spacing and i love it. They are a perfect fit to my playstyle.

Wow, I went back to play some smash with main, Villager, after a ~8 month hiatus. Corrin is defiantly A or B tier material. His/her power and coverage is insane. I'm not complaining; I've just experienced 3 really close matches with terrifying Corrin players who beat me due to Corrin's sneaky forward smash. -_-

I beat other Corrin players by abusing pocket. Villager's dragon fang pocket attack is super useful since they can paralyze an opponent and go in for a follow-up strike.

Corrin overshadows Marth, Lucina, Roy, and Ike for sure.

Color me impressed.

Edited by Leif