Give me good literature to read/watch!

IceBrand

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years ago, show called Xena was the most watched show on television and featured a multidimensional female lead; don't get much more daring in the 90s either! There are certainly writers out there unafraid to "offend" people by writing women as if they were human (imagine that!), lol.

As for men, they're criticized just as much. You can find ridiculous criticisms for several popular male characters in any medium. They're certainly not looked past, it's just how people are.

Oh man, I loved that as a kid!

Never change, Charlie

I don't plan to.

Because most writers are horny nerds that portray women as pure goddesses with no flaws

Horny people are a lot more likely to write terrible erotic fiction than they are to write about prudish characters.

Also, Xena was terrible after the first two seasons.

Edited by Starman

Also, Xena was terrible after the first two seasons.

No way, S3 and S4 had some of the best eps in the series!

You're just mad that creepy exorcist Iolaus (followed by silly Iolaus clone arcs) were Herc's best storylines! Or maybe it was the random irish super powers arc, or the giant cartoon dragon one, there are just so many good ones to choose from with that show :KnollRoll: .

Edited by Tangerine

No way. Xena was excellent until she took that trip to China. Then the writers incorporated a lot pseudo philosophical spiritual mumbo jumbo that was nothing short of painful to watch in an action/adventure show that was rooted in Greek mythology. And just to show that I'm not biased, I will concede that the Hecrules fucks off to Ireland saga was terrible for the same exact reason.

I wasn't a fan of either show's strange obsession with randomly changing geographical locations (I was teasing, they both have really silly eps sometimes lol), but Xena was definitely the biggest offender (China, India, Egypt, Japan...modern USA) although I did think the concept behind the christian/greek religious conflict was interesting.

But yeah, Xena's China arcs and Herc's Ireland arcs are so out of left field! They're definitely really inconsistent shows past the first few seasons, but they're so full of 90s charm and camp that I can't dislike either of them for it. Regardless, I maintain that S3 is the best in the series!

Edit: All threads like this should turn into discussion about 90s television, the world would be a better place.

Edited by Tangerine

I never watched Xena, but preschool / elementary school me probably watched way more Buffy than was appropriate for his age.

holy shit what do you people even read that you look at OP and go "yes that is true"

this thread is the reason why people praise mediocre writing in videogames. it's because they literally only play videogames so they have absolutely no idea about writing

Yeah I'll definitely expand my horizon more. I'll bench a lot of highly rated shows, movies, books, etc. Got any other starts? Personal favorite?

...modern USA)

oh my god i forgot about that episode until just now, that was awful

I probably should have just said 'ignorant nerds' instead

but enough about yourself

Like when was the last time you ever saw a non antagonistic female character interested in sex? It's seem odd since most males characters will go through arcs and character development to win the heart of his female partner, but rarely the other way around. Is it because it's out of the norm?

yo have you ever heard of this one really obscure anime called mirai nikki I think it has everything you're looking for

really tho if you actually want recs:

animangos:

- Basara has a lead that isn't exactly uninterested in sex (like she doesn't reeeaaally seek it out but isn't too hung up on it) and is also a great lead in general. Starts out a bit weak but her development is superb (as is the development of certain other characters). idk if there's an animu but the mango is great.

- Mirai Nikki is still good but isn't a superb example of positive female characters that also want to have sex. Not an antagonist, at least!

- I have other examples of "animangos with good female leads/characters" but this is about the limit of the ones that actually have sex/are interested in having sex

books:

- basically anything by Tamora Pierce full stop. probably Tortall books first? Circle of Magic books take a while to get going places (they kinda grew up with their readers)

tv stuff:

- idk probably just buffy I barely watch tv.

Edit: All threads like this should turn into discussion about 90s television, the world would be a better place.

That was the reason I took a potshot at Xena.

You're welcome. :)

I never watched Xena, but preschool / elementary school me probably watched way more Buffy than was appropriate for his age.

So you didn't watch every episode, right? How unfortunate.

(I've never watched Buffy in my life; hopefully it's good otherwise my comment will be really dumb)

So you didn't watch every episode, right? How unfortunate.

(I've never watched Buffy in my life; hopefully it's good otherwise my comment will be really dumb)

yeah I didn't and I've never bothered to binge all 7 seasons

I've read synopses of basically everything and I've watched significant portions (as an adult) so I can say it's a good show, at least