Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

Hey guys - I don't know if anyone posted it, but here is the IGN video where they talk about the skinship stuff. Apparently you can invite people into your room still and get benefits. Here is the link: (56:10 is the moment)

Watch till the end of the video and they talk about Soliel as well. Just figured people would want to see. >.>

Edited by Kakeyo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your opinion of the localization of Path of Radiance? That's another game where things were shuffled around.

100% honesty here, I've never played it so I couldn't say. In general though, I don't like changes between one region and another when it comes to games. It's not really about censorship or anything like that, I just want to have the options other people get.

What's your opinion of the localization of Path of Radiance? That's another game where things were shuffled around.

Actually, I want everyone who's upset about the removal of skinship to weigh in on this. IMO what happened to Path of Radiance was far worse than anything Fates has announced, yet the series hasn't died because of it.

Actually, I want everyone who's upset about the removal of skinship to weigh in on this. IMO what happened to Path of Radiance was far worse than anything Fates has announced, yet the series hasn't died because of it.

What happened with Path of Radiance again? I know there were changes, but I don't remember exactly what happened.

IMO what happened to Path of Radiance was far worse than anything Fates has announced, yet the series hasn't died because of it.

I'm not really sure what your point is. I don't expect the removal of skinshipping to kill the series now, either. Doesn't mean I support it.

I've never played PoR so I can't really give a valid opinion on it.

When the feature has little to no barring on anything I see little point in being upset over it, now if it was like a part of how the game actually worked I could see more of a reason to be pissed about an "incomplete game" but you still have all the chapters, the story is still intact, all the characters still exist, the supports are still there. Hell we could have had FE9/12 base conversations back you know, things that actually developed characters, but we didn't get those. You don't see me whining about it.

I already said I understand why the principle of the thing irks people so much, but the fact of the matter is, its a very minor thing, and people are making wayyyyy too big of a fuss over it.

I keep pointing this out, the dialogue in the shipping does show some character development, and some characters reveal information there that isn't available elsewhere in the game, so it actually does remove story content, assuming it is not present in whatever replacement there may be.

Just because it's a very minor thing to you, there is a significant amount of (potential) purchasers to whom it is a major thing and a feature they were very much looking forward to.

For example, in many single player story focused games I couldn't care less about the multiplayer being present or absent from the game, but there still may be people who very much enjoy the multiplayer feature. Imagine that a Japanese game had multiplayer, but the Western release didn't. It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game, but I still would be unhappy it was cut because it was a finished feature that was part of the original game and there are likely many people who will genuinely miss it.

This actually applies to Fates, if multiplayer was removed I really would not care as I would not use that feature anyway, but I would still be upset out of principle because I'm sure that there are some people who were looking forward to Fates multiplayer. I mean, most people buy Fire Emblem for the single player campaigns and don't care about multiplayer, it's not a core feature, it's not what Fire Emblem is really about but I'm sure there are some that really do and would be outraged at its removal.

(See how this argument works, replace "multiplayer" with "shipping" or "reclassing" or whatever other non-central feature you like and it works the same way, the principle still stands.)

Edited by XaosLogos

What happened with Path of Radiance again? I know there were changes, but I don't remember exactly what happened.

This thread might help.

Edit: Apparently an entire difficulty level was removed in FE9.

Hey guys - I don't know if anyone posted it, but here is the IGN video where they talk about the skinship stuff.

This is the third time this video has been posted F.Y.I.

Edited by Hunter Saltblood

This actually applies to Fates, if multiplayer was removed I really would not care as I would not use that feature anyway, but I would still be upset out of principle because I'm sure that there are some people who were looking forward to Fates multiplayer. I mean, most people buy Fire Emblem for the single player campaigns and don't care about multiplayer, it's not a core feature, it's not what Fire Emblem is really about but I'm sure there are some that really do and would be outraged at its removal.

(See how this argument works, replace "multiplayer" with "shipping" or "reclassing" or whatever other non-central feature you like and it works the same way, the principle still stands.)

It's a good thing I refreshed and saw this edit before posting, because I was just about to add this. By some people's logic, since it's not a 'core' gameplay element, there'd be no reason to be upset about the removal of multiplayer, but even though I'd likely never use it I'd be very upset if it had been removed.

This is the third time this video has been posted F.Y.I.

Sorry - there are 66 pages now. It's hard to keep track when I'm away all day. >.> I just thought it was relevant and better than starting a new thread or something. (Slinks away into a corner)

This thread might help.

Edit: Apparently an entire difficulty level was removed in FE9.

Thanks, I read a quite a bit of it (before I got dehydrated, because salt) and oh man, Tellius got ripped to shreds.

Edited by Phillius

Eh well basically my only beef is that we may possibly lose the work and 3d models they did - but apparently that's not the case so I've accepted it.

Thanks, I read a quite a bit of it (before I got dehydrated, because salt) and oh man, Tellius got ripped to shreds.

Try having salt run in your veins

No problem. From the looks of it, anything the Fates localization pulls on us cannot be nearly as bad as what happened to FE9/10.

Don't take that as a challenge Treehouse

Edit: For a true example of a game where the localization made the game much, much, worse, look no further than Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival:

Outside Japan, the game has had a lot of content removed. There are no Duelist Profiles, no Ending Pictures, no Photos, all Sleeves and Mats are unlocked from the start and there is no Device or Database modes. The only playable characters are Yuma, Astral, ZEXAL, Tori, Reginald, Kite, Dr. Faker, Vetrix, Trey, Quattro, Alito & Konami-kun (aka Tag Force's Hat Guy).

In the Japanese version, there were 40 playable characters.

The game was slammed accordingly.

And there wasn't nearly as much outrage over this game than Fates.

Edited by Hunter Saltblood

To be honest, I was hoping (and praying...and preparing human sacrifices for the cause of) that after Nintendo or IGN or whoever revealed the truth, we could all argue for like five minutes before agreeing to disagree and move on with our lives. How wrong and naive I was...

We going to 500 pages.

I'd be just as upset about it - I don't remember all the changes but the big one was easy mode -> removal of maniac. In fact, I would probably be more upset by the Path of Radiance changes considering I still haven't had the chance to play Maniac Mode. And by upset I mean "that's a shame". But I'm not really seeing how the PoR changes might invalidate someone's thoughts of this being bad, considering they a) might not have been around then b) didn't care as much for the changes or c) thought it was bad too at the time, which still means pretty much nothing.

Edit: For a true example of a game where the localization made the game much, much, worse, look no further than Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival:

To be fair I doubt that game was as highly anticipated, and you can't expect people to always be consistent about their views. They may either be ignorant about them or just don't care as much as with other situations. Edited by Tryhard

I regret buying that game so much. I bought it as an impulse buy when I saw it in the shop, but when I found out how much content I was missing out on I was furious. I no longer buy games without doing some research first.

As for the 'lack' of outrage, pretty sure that has more to do with the utter lack of advertising that game had. Nobody knew it existed in the first place, so they couldn't get upset. The people who did know about it were, naturally, freaking pissed.

And here I thought this topic had died down a little when I last left it

Although I'm sure a lot of this controversy and confusion will clear up greatly by the time the game drops (given MyRoom seems to still be in it and the only thing removed is touching, but I could be completely wrong so ignore me) but if someone wants to cancel their preorder because they're no longer interested in the product, that's their prerogative. Hopefully you can do some more research once it comes out and maybe it'll change your mind? Either way, I know my own opinion is probably biased by the fact that I was unhappy with the original and therefore in a weird way feel 'entitled' to changes? But seeing it from a first-time consumer point of view, I can see how it's disappointing. I was just hoping that the conversation could become a little more civil after this news, especially since the IGN crew seem pretty sure it's been replaced with something based on what the rep told them.

IDK, just hoping this storm passes pretty soon.

Looking forward to what they've done and the future of FE as a whole, actually.

This may be opening a whole other can of worms, (feel free to ban me if necessary), but I would be interested in what those people would have to say about that Soleil support.

The arguments about not getting the same game as Japan did applies here too, and since you can apparently still invite people to your room, the absence of both has a similar effect on the gameplay of Fire Emblem.

Is that so? Hypothetically speaking, then.

Just btw, this isn't meant to be judgemental, I'm actually curious about the answer. Just like a translation shouldn't be completely literal, I feel localisation should make changes to account for differences in culture. Both skinshipping and that support are things that would be perceived differently in the West compared to Japan.

I would just want to know if the "2,5D" characters are still present. The animations were gorgeous, and that would be a waste. I just hope they won't go like "Oh, hey, invite her in your tent and BOOM babies happen". (Overexaggerating, but you get my point.) I want an actual conversation with the beautiful 2,5D models. That would be too much of a cut, in my opinion.

I wish skinshipping never existed in the first place.

I just want to play the fucking game.

...And to find out the changes upon names, weapons, items and such.^

I regret buying that game so much. I bought it as an impulse buy when I saw it in the shop, but when I found out how much content I was missing out on I was furious. I no longer buy games without doing some research first.

As for the 'lack' of outrage, pretty sure that has more to do with the utter lack of advertising that game had. Nobody knew it existed in the first place, so they couldn't get upset. The people who did know about it were, naturally, freaking pissed.

Nintendo always keeps censorship secret. Your not supposed to know. Only the internet and the particular gaming sites will tell you the truth.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/

Like the truth behind Mother 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regionally_censored_video_games

The truth behind other games SNES ones for example.

It's just NOA is strongly about censorship than any other VG company when they only remove things out that goes beyond the rating that they want to give level. If other games are being assisted by NOA, they are going to be censored to a friendly level.

-----

It's much worse when IGN at the end of their vid tells you to study Japanese and what not when some people have lives and or don't have the money to do so at a school.

Edited by PuffPuff

I feel that this latest email and it's wording insinuates that the minigame is still in, BUT...

That the touchscreen is disabled, a button press is used and that the dialogue for the... um.... SUGGESTIVE bits at the end will be completely toned down into something cute or romantic.
Cause, holy hell Japan, that is some RAUNCHY confessions from the Fates men.
Edited by otarolgam

Well, guess I won't be getting Fates then. Anyone got any suggestions for games that made it over intact that I can get instead?

Your loss that the ability to pet people's faces means so much to you that without it you can't buy the game.

Citation needed? I don't recall any official source saying it was removed in response to fan complaints.

Fan complaints? No.

I'd put money down on QA Testing doing it in.

I wish skinshipping never existed in the first place.

Seconded.

I absolutely detest the fact that this is true. It's really disgusting to me that this series has embarked down that path to gain popularity... but I guess we can't do much about that.

That's why I don't think there's a "winner" to this skinship removal thing. The people that wanted it in certainly lost, and the people that didn't still have to deal with the fact this is is very much a real part of FE now, even if it is gone from the western release.

Considering NoJ videos containing it have been privatized, I wouldn't bet against backlash against Team B and some good ol' reshuffling.

I have a lot of stuff to say about the *ahem* "no True Scottsman" fan argument, but that's already been locked down.

Considering NoJ videos containing it have been privatized, I wouldn't bet against backlash against Team B and some good ol' reshuffling.

I have a lot of stuff to say about the *ahem* "no True Scottsman" fan argument, but that's already been locked down.

Upon American and European servers...that is...

But...were safe to post these up on Youtube if they are from Japan which they are nullified of this skinshipping clause.