Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

If I may ask those who canceled their preorders, why do you feel entitled to skinshipping being part of the price? Considering the special edition has pretty much 3 full length FE games for you to play?

Don't you think you're being a little hasty? I'm not trying to be like, accusatory here, but the core gameplay is still there. You know, the main game, the way it works, etc. Like I understand the principle of being annoyed over this, like some people wanted it, I get that as well, as censorship in general being kinda looked down on, but was one of your main reason for getting Fates, skinshipping? I see skewed priorities if that's true, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may ask those who canceled their preorders, why do you feel entitled to skinshipping being part of the price? Considering the special edition has pretty much 3 full length FE games for you to play?

Don't you think you're being a little hasty? I'm not trying to be like, accusatory here, but the core gameplay is still there. You know, the main game, the way it works, etc. Like I understand the principle of being annoyed over this, like some people wanted it, I get that as well, as censorship in general being kinda looked down on, but was one of your main reason for getting Fates, skinshipping? I see skewed priorities if that's true, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Expecting a complete game with the original content intact is being entitled now? A part of the game has been cut, I am not paying full price for an incomplete game.

And no, I'm not being hasty at all. The core gameplay isn't important here since a part of the game is being made unavailable to us. Also, if people wanted the game for the Skinship, what's wrong with that? 'Skewed priorities'? Why would that be? Simply because a person likes a different aspect of the game than others doesn't mean their priorities are skewed.

"oh no i can't touch muh waifu's surely this must be the work of the politically correct bogeymans, removing this one minor feature means there's no possible way the game could be good, i'll boycott all of nintendo's future products, lets see how they like that!"

I'd honestly make a joke about casuals but they are already doing the work for me.

i am surprised that kotaku happened to be right, but a broken clock is right, twice a day.

If I may ask those who canceled their preorders, why do you feel entitled to skinshipping being part of the price?

I never had a pre-order to cancel, but I don't think it's about 'entitlement'. It's about not wanting to pay for a game that has had features removed, and there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't matter if the 'core' is still there, an aspect of the game has still been removed.

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so happy to let companies get away with removing optional content precisely because it's 'optional' and therefore doesn't 'matter' as much. The whole game is optional, since it's a game.

Edited by capmalachi

I'm not cancelling but I was tempted.

It's the idea that we expected a certain feature to be present in the game, as it was present in the original game, and not only was it removed, it was done so quietly, and appears that Nintendo tried to keep it's removal out of player's sight. We're paying the same amount for less content. It's not just a silly minigame, it involved a significant amount of art assets, voiced dialogue, and character development as well.

For me, it's not just the removal of this feature, it's an overall poor localization. Needless name changes, significant changes to many characters, a poor English dub. Might as well get the Japanese version and play the original intact game as it was originally intended to be.

honestly if you don't care about the core part of fire emblem's gameplay and are going to let separate things ruin the game for you then your not a true fan.

I wish skinshipping never existed in the first place.

along side children marriage.

also fire emblem has always had name changes, Kieran was originally Kevin, Aran was Brad, this is nothing new at all, if you weren't casual fans you'd know this.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

honestly if you don't care about the core part of fire emblem's gameplay and are going to let separate things ruin the game for you then your not a true fan.

I cannot tell if you are merely fishing for a response or serious, but I'll take a bite, for the sake of argument.

"Honestly, if you don't care about the original game as it was released in Japan being watered down and having content removed in the localization process and are okay with that, then you're not a true fan."

Edited by XaosLogos

along side children marriage.

Oh wow. So what you're saying is that the people who got into the game by means other than the 'gameplay' are not true fans?

If you weren't aware, fans vary in tastes. Fire Emblem has gained popularity for things other than gameplay and will continue to get the 'waifu' aspects of it that you hate so much even if we don't get them in our version. Face it, just as we who support Skinship can't do anything about the localization you can't do anything to change the fact that the 'waifu' features are now an integral part of FE and the series will continue to gather fans just because of that aspect alone.

Edited by Swirl-Theory

I'm the truest true fan and you all know it.

I don't like the feature or the fact that the series puts in my opinion too much emphasis on pairings now but you know, that's the direction the series has went. I don't like it, but I also don't think that I can oversee what other people enjoy.

"Honestly, if you don't care about the original game as it was released in Japan being watered down and having content removed in the localization process and are okay with that, then you're not a true fan."

Oh wow. So what you're saying is that the people who got into the game by means other than the 'gameplay' are not true fans?

Let's not get into who is a "true fan" or not. You're all fans of the series. This line of thought can only go downhill.

Expecting a complete game with the original content intact is being entitled now? A part of the game has been cut, I am not paying full price for an incomplete game.

And no, I'm not being hasty at all. The core gameplay isn't important here since a part of the game is being made unavailable to us. Also, if people wanted the game for the Skinship, what's wrong with that? 'Skewed priorities'? Why would that be? Simply because a person likes a different aspect of the game than others doesn't mean their priorities are skewed.

Then they didn't want Fire Emblem, they wanted skinship. There are plenty of other games where they can enjoy such things, but Fire Emblem should never have been one of them.

Also, the core gameplay isn't important because they removed a completely insignificant and very controversial mini-game? I fail to understand the logic behind that.

"oh no i can't touch muh waifu's surely this must be the work of the politically correct bogeymans, removing this one minor feature means there's no possible way the game could be good, i'll boycott all of nintendo's future products, lets see how they like that!"

I'd honestly make a joke about casuals but they are already doing the work for me.

i am surprised that kotaku happened to be right, but a broken clock is right, twice a day.

Don't be like that. This thread is already heated enough without adding more fuel to the fire. Not wanting skinship in the game is fine, but calling people casuals for being upset that it's gone and making inflammatory statements is another thing entirely.

Edited by Phillius

I don't like the feature or the fact that the series puts in my opinion too much emphasis on pairings now but you know, that's the direction the series has went. I don't like it, but I also don't think that I can oversee what other people enjoy.

If the fandom had this mindset, we wouldn't be at each other's throats working at the Salt Mines of the Invisible Kingdom.

Face it, just as we who support Skinship can't do anything about the localization you can't do anything to change the fact that the 'waifu' features are now an integral part of FE and the series will continue to gather fans just because of that aspect alone.

I absolutely detest the fact that this is true. It's really disgusting to me that this series has embarked down that path to gain popularity... but I guess we can't do much about that.

That's why I don't think there's a "winner" to this skinship removal thing. The people that wanted it in certainly lost, and the people that didn't still have to deal with the fact this is is very much a real part of FE now, even if it is gone from the western release.

Edited by Together We Ride

Then they didn't want Fire Emblem, they wanted skinship. There are plenty of other games where they can enjoy such things, but Fire Emblem should never have been one of the.

Also, the core gameplay isn't important because they removed a completely insignificant and very controversial mini-game? I fail to understand the logic behind that.

Fire Emblem has a marriage feature and interesting characters. There is no other game that has those characters. If I wanted to marry and Skinship say, Joker, I can't do that in any other game. Also, they added in the feature because they knew people would like it, that's why it's there.

And I wasn't talking about the core gameplay being important to the game itself, of course it is. I was talking about my decision to cancel my pre-order.

Let's not get into who is a "true fan" or not. You're all fans of the series. This line of thought can only go downhill.

Yes, exactly. This idea of "true fans" is silly and you can define it so many ways that there's no point to such a term as it's all purely opinion. Hence my point in instantly coming up with a contradictory definition of the same term.

It's a polarizing issue and there are likely irreconcilable difference between people on this removal. Such is life. I'd rather Fire Emblem be a positive thing but this whole issue has turned into a negative one sadly.

The characters are a huge reason why I like Fire Emblem so much, this feature promised another way for character interaction and development, it was present in the Japanese version, the original game, and it was removed for the other releases. It's more about cut content with no benefit from the removal; it's one of those things that if you don't like it you could ignore it with no consequence.

Edited by XaosLogos

Fire Emblem has a marriage feature and interesting characters. There is no other game that has those characters. If I wanted to marry and Skinship say, Joker, I can't do that in any other game. Also, they added in the feature because they knew people would like it, that's why it's there.

And I wasn't talking about the core gameplay being important to the game itself, of course it is. I was talking about my decision to cancel my pre-order.

Both of those are fair points, I guess it's my bad for misinterpreting what you said. However, if anyone only decided to get into FE only did so to because of Skinship, then there not interested in FE as much as they are petting the pretty looking characters. There are plenty of other games that cater to that need however, so I don't see why FE needs it.

To be honest, I was hoping (and praying...and preparing human sacrifices for the cause of) that after Nintendo or IGN or whoever revealed the truth, we could all argue for like five minutes before agreeing to disagree and move on with our lives. How wrong and naive I was...

Actually, it has been confirmed

and found out that it was discussed here and finding out that it was just more assumptions when in the end we actually don't really know much about the Korean laws.

Yes.

But...it is a dream to some of us to pay a visit there!

Should make skinship DLC so that people who are bothered by it don't have to download it!

When a mod posts stuff like "what are you even thinking with that post?" and "cut that shit out", the correct response is NOT to address the one thing that wasn't aimed at you. You can either ask questions as to why I'm so pissed, cut that shit out, or eat a warn.

Quoting me and then responding to something irrelevant/continuing the behavior I outlined in this post/the previous one will be worth a warn, because that'll tell me that you're not listening to my words.

---

Now, for why I'm really here. . .

The discussion about "casual" gamers/true Scotsman gamers stops here. I've had enough headache for tonight.

When the feature has little to no barring on anything I see little point in being upset over it, now if it was like a part of how the game actually worked I could see more of a reason to be pissed about an "incomplete game" but you still have all the chapters, the story is still intact, all the characters still exist, the supports are still there. Hell we could have had FE9/12 base conversations back you know, things that actually developed characters, but we didn't get those. You don't see me whining about it.

I never had a pre-order to cancel, but I don't think it's about 'entitlement'. It's about not wanting to pay for a game that has had features removed, and there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't matter if the 'core' is still there, an aspect of the game has still been removed.

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so happy to let companies get away with removing optional content precisely because it's 'optional' and therefore doesn't 'matter' as much. The whole game is optional, since it's a game.

I already said I understand why the principle of the thing irks people so much, but the fact of the matter is, its a very minor thing, and people are making wayyyyy too big of a fuss over it.

and people are making wayyyyy too big of a fuss over it.

Just because it's a part of the game you, personally, aren't that bothered about doesn't mean people can't be upset about it's removal. All this 'it's not real fire emblem' stuff is rubbish anyway, and completely misses the point. What the game is, or what the feature that has been removed is, is all besides the point. A perfectly reasonable gameplay element has been removed in the localisation process, and people are upset about it because it looked like it might have been fun. Therefore, since a part of the game that looked fun has been removed, people are reconsidering whether they want to spend money on this game.

Edited by capmalachi

Just because it's a part of the game you, personally, aren't that bothered about doesn't mean people can't be upset about it's removal. All this 'it's not real fire emblem' stuff is rubbish anyway, and completely misses the point. What the game is, or what the feature that has been removed is, is all besides the point. A perfectly reasonable gameplay element has been removed in the localisation process, and people are upset about it because it looked like it might have been fun. Therefore, since a part of the game that looked fun has been removed, people are reconsidering whether they want to spend money on this game.

What's your opinion of the localization of Path of Radiance? That's another game where things were shuffled around.

When the feature has little to no barring on anything I see little point in being upset over it, now if it was like a part of how the game actually worked I could see more of a reason to be pissed about an "incomplete game" but you still have all the chapters, the story is still intact, all the characters still exist, the supports are still there. Hell we could have had FE9/12 base conversations back you know, things that actually developed characters, but we didn't get those. You don't see me whining about it.

I already said I understand why the principle of the thing irks people so much, but the fact of the matter is, its a very minor thing, and people are making wayyyyy too big of a fuss over it.

The key words, YOU see. Others will like certain aspects of the game that you may be indifferent about. Believe it or not, many were looking forward to that feature and will not accept it being cut. It isn't only about Skinship, it's about the dialogue that comes with it AND the fact that it was a legit feature in the original game. If you're perfectly fine with paying full price for a stripped down game, go ahead and buy it. However, I won't waste my money on something that is missing a feature.