Is Fates skinship removal that big of thing?

Naziro

It shouldn't have been, IMO. It sounds like more of a flavor feature, with its support bonus being somewhat trivial. While I would've wanted to test the effectiveness of it for myself (while muting my game out of shame), it's not the end of the world.

Now, if they removed half the weapons instead. . .

Watch 'em remove the brigand weapons and re-program Sophie's skill.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any feature being removed from the original game is a "big deal". We shouldn't be getting stripped optional content just because it makes some people uncomfortable. It's there, but you have the option of never using it. What's the problem in that? Knowing that it's there?

Not like removing it from the localized version will make much of a difference to that anyways. It will always be in the original version of the game and no one can change that. Either way, I'm not about to support something with cut content.

Let's see what has been removed here:

-A gameplay mechanic that allows the player to interact with characters.

-Very well done art assets which might not be used elsewhere

-A siginficant amount of voiced dialogue

-Characterization and minor story bits (some of the lines tell you information about the characters you can't get anywhere else, others are very touching and really reflect the character well - Nyx's is a really good example of it showing off her actual character development.)

Yes, there are some lew lines. If that makes someone uncomfortable, they could simply not use the feature and leave it for those who would enjoy it. But that would be too easy, too sensible, no, it must be removed for everyone.

In the end, we pay the same amount for an inferior product with a significant amount of content removed. I am not okay with this.

The above is assuming there is no replacement feature that utilizes the models, involves voice acting, and preserves at least some of the dialogue and development. At the moment, we do not know what there is in its place.

Depending on what they have replaced it with, it may be more or less egregious of a change. If they kept it as is but only removed the touching part and had it be only a conversation with the animated models, that would be acceptable, but anything more removed and it's cutting content, plain and simple. Cutting content that does not improve the game; it makes the game less enjoyable for those who wanted to make use of it and is neutral for those who didn't as those people could have simply ignored the feature and been no worse off.

^^^^

I don't particularly like the fact that it has been removed even if I think it is stupid, my issue is more with the principle.

From the other topic:

I think the feature is stupid as fuck and yet I can't bring myself to cheer for its exclusion. Even though I don't think that it should have been included in the first place, having different versions of games in different regions is lame as fuck and pretty much shows they have no confidence in the product over a possible controversy. Or they just can't be bothered funding it. I'm not upset about it considering I wasn't going to buy the game anyway but if it is true, which we still don't know, then I would ask you to understand that people might not approve of the feature but not want the game to be "censored" more.
Or you could just smugly laugh or get salty over it. Whichever fits.
Think about how many people would turn back on it if that rumour about the European version was cutting the same-sex marriage from the game was true, and (say) it was also for the NA release. How many would call the skinship being removed as "localization" and how many would call the removal of same-sex marriage in the game unacceptable? How would I sound if I said I really don't think same-sex marriage had a place in the franchise and that I'm relieved that it was taken out?
Censorship is okay when it doesn't affect something that you like. People actually think this. That actually irritates me. Otherwise, I have more an issue with the principle rather than the content itself. Though frankly, I find signing a petition pointless.
So while I don't like the principle, I'm actually a lot more angry at the fact that Nintendo has taken down the original video that showcased it deliberately as a form of damage control. That's what it is, and to that I have to say fuck you. I wasn't going to buy the game anyway, but that is absolutely ridiculous. They couldn't just come out and say it. No, we've got to hide it and make the situation worse instead of being upfront with people. Got to give people the runaround even though they could have easily confirmed or denied Kotaku's article when it came out. Fucking idiots.
Considering that sleazy ass behaviour I entirely understand why some people would want to cancel their preorder.
Fuck Nintendo, in short. Not because of their decision but because of the way they handled it.
Edited by Tryhard

"I don't like vanilla flavoured ice cream, so nobody should be allowed to have it."

Some people like vanilla ice cream. Some people wanted to dick about with a stupid game mode where they get to poke a cartoon character. There is no possible way that removing such a harmless feature 'improves' the game, any more than removing vanilla ice cream from all stores would 'improve' their stock.

I'm going to spend my money on a game that made it over intact, rather than one that had features removed because some people can't stand other people enjoying something in a different way to them.

Not a big problem for me. I says in the other topic i used the feature only two time the first time i play and is not a big miss for me in the European relase but...is part of the game. So is a bad thing noth becouse i can not pet the waifu/husbando but becouse i can't experience, well for me is a re-experience, the full product. The real bad thiong for me is...i see some video from the preview and some maps, i think they play in normal, looks more easy then the original relase.

If you want vanilla ice-cream, go out and buy it! Nobody will mind. But you should know, this is not an ice-cream store, it's a pizza store. It's sold pizza for nearly 30 years, and they only recently decided to sell ice-cream pizza for a promotion.

If the store in your area decided not to take part in the promotion, it's not because they are trying to deny you ice-cream.

As somebody who loves this store's pizza, and doesn't care for ice-cream in general, I just want the pizza chefs to make the best pizza possible.

I don't pay any attention to people who prefer ice-cream until they come into the pizza store demanding ice-cream.

pizza

If you want vanilla ice-cream, go out and buy it! Nobody will mind. But you should know, this is not an ice-cream store, it's a pizza store. It's sold pizza for nearly 30 years, and they only recently decided to sell ice-cream pizza for a promotion.

If the store in your area decided not to take part in the promotion, it's not because they are trying to deny you ice-cream.

As somebody who loves this store's pizza, and doesn't care for ice-cream in general, I just want the pizza chefs to make the best pizza possible.

I don't pay any attention to people who prefer ice-cream until they come into the pizza store demanding ice-cream.

That's... actually a really good analogy But now I'm hungry and it 2:24 A.M.

pizza

I'll bite, and fix your analogy for you. A large pizza store chain has just announced that they will be offering ice cream pizza in the future. Later on, I discover that my local store is not taking part. I do not have the right to force them to give me an ice cream pizza. I do, however, have the right to be disappointed. I have the right to inform them of that disappointment. And most crucially, I have the right to take my money elsewhere.

Can we please stop with the food analogies.

[spoiler=I'm trying to cut down on snacking but all I see are constant food analogies]

200_s.gif

Anyway, I see my hopes of people agreeing to disagree and moving on haven't really worked out. Maybe I didn't use enough human sacrifices...

Edited by Phillius

pizza

... You clever mother flipper...

I've just seen that it is now officially removed.

Well, I don't mind it that much, but it's still something from a completed game that won't make it here, and that saddens me. Where's the limit, afterwards?

As capmalachi said, I'm just disappointed. I wouldn't be a huge fan of ice cream pizza, yet it's nice for everyone to have the choice, you know?

Oh well, I won't even notice it in the final game. Yet, it was a good thing for easy supports, so that's a hindrance in a way... (Also, even as a guy, I kinda wanted to pet Flannel. :< And Camilla for reasons.)

I'll bite, and fix your analogy for you. A large pizza store chain has just announced that they will be offering ice cream pizza in the future. Later on, I discover that my local store is not taking part. I do not have the right to force them to give me an ice cream pizza. I do, however, have the right to be disappointed. I have the right to inform them of that disappointment. And most crucially, I have the right to take my money elsewhere.

That's fair, but it doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't go to a store that does (unless you already have?) i.e. I really like pineapple, and if they put that on a pizza I'd find the combination too tempting to pass up.

That's fair, but it doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't go to a store that does (unless you already have?) i.e. I really like pineapple, and if they put that on a pizza I'd find the combination too tempting to pass up.

So an equivalent analogy in your case would be that the rest of the chain is selling pineapple pizza, but your local store is not. You'd be disappointed, right? Maybe you'd just buy another pizza, or maybe you really wanted a pineapple pizza, so you'd leave the store entirely.

I'm not saying that nobody should buy fates just because the skinshipping has been removed, I'm just saying I totally understand why they won't. Although in my case, it's more about the fact that I don't want to support a business decision that results in me getting a lesser version of the same product than another group of people would get.

Edited by capmalachi

Whether or not I was going to use the feature, I like to have the option. Taking it away is implying that I can't decide for myself if this feature is too much for me, and that angers me. Another thing is that this sets the precedence for NoA to cut whatever they want from future FEs, even something as large as these 2d models and voice files, which I only thought would get a few lines rewritten or toned down. I feel there's a difference between changing and outright axing features. I just really wanted to trust that they would deliver a game localized with as few changes as possible, but now I'll never be sure that I'll be able to play the full experience that Japan gets.

That's exactly it, I can't believe why there are people who agrees with this kind of decisions. You can like it or dislike it, but we are not talking about what you want or you don't want in the game, we are talking about a freaking localizer team cutting the original game because they feel good judging what we are able to see and what we aren't, and selling us their "version" of the game. I want to enjoy the original experience! Why can't they do their jobs (translating) instead of telling me what I am able to see or do?

For fuck's sake, if we let them do this and give them our money for a modified game (no petting, modified support conversations as always...) they will keep censoring the uncensorable with all the upcoming games instead of giving us a translated game.

This is just unbelievable and extremely disappointing, I am sooooo tired of getting tons of jrps modified by the localizers...

pizza

That explains things much better than a complicated restaurant-themed analogy I've tried to use for the series' direction.

So an equivalent analogy in your case would be that the rest of the chain is selling pineapple pizza, but your local store is not. You'd be disappointed, right? Maybe you'd just buy another pizza, or maybe you really wanted a pineapple pizza, so you'd leave the store entirely.

I'm not saying that nobody should buy fates just because the skinshipping has been removed, I'm just saying I totally understand why they won't. Although in my case, it's more about the fact that I don't want to support a business decision that results in me getting a lesser version of the same product than another group of people would get.

As far as the point of view goes right now, not sure about Korea's, but it is getting censored elsewhere.

Just like they haven't censored Tharja's summer scramble in the European release. But...since it isn't fair that Europe is getting the same censorship as America, that is why that people aren't shutting up about it!

Not to me. I thought it was silly when it was introduced. I didn't have an opinion one way or the other with it, so removal is fine.

What I don't understand is people are upset about this silly feature (and name changes-but like honestly what are you expecting?), but here I am just wishing they would let the gay options have freaking kids instead of shorting us out of one/two playable characters.

In my actual legit playthrough I'll never be able to marry who I want because I want the damn children.

Like can we talk about the important issues?

pizza

Good analogy. It's questionable why so many alleged pizza fans stop going to the pizza shop just because ice cream isn't offered in the buffet course.

Not to me. I thought it was silly when it was introduced. I didn't have an opinion one way or the other with it, so removal is fine.

What I don't understand is people are upset about this silly feature (and name changes-but like honestly what are you expecting?), but here I am just wishing they would let the gay options have freaking kids instead of shorting us out of one/two playable characters.

In my actual legit playthrough I'll never be able to marry who I want because I want the damn children.

Like can we talk about the important issues?

Of course. Let's talk about the actual things important to you, like having the gay options have children. Everything else is unimportant.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Alright, without the sarcasm: it's not up to you to decide what is important or not. Yes, that other thing sucks as well but this is also removing a whole gameplay feature that we're currently unsure what it's getting replaced with (if anything). Why is it unimportant just because you didn't care for it?

Edited by Tryhard

I've seen people mention ''There was character development in some phrases of skinship which has been removed!'' time and time again and it gets annoying at this point because there's no confirmation on that.

Look, they said skinship, as in the rubing minigame, has been removed. We don't know what is there on place of the rubbing, we know there's something though, but I'd like to say that there are good chances that the extra dialogue (suposedly the main reason people want the feature) is still there if altered in a number of ocasion because the rubbing rubed the localization team off.

Rub.