Is Fates skinship removal that big of thing?

Naziro

Why is this thread still a fucking thing?

At this point, what I'm getting the most tired about are people telling other people how they should feel about skinship or it being removed -- on BOTH SIDES, ffs. Accept that different people are "offended" by different things and wanted different things about Fates.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like that they removed it. Personally, I find the face petting thing to be pretty weird, but I liked the extra dialogue/voice acting that came with it. I really hope they at least kept that in somehow! I'll be a little disappointed if that's all gone. :/:

At this point, what I'm getting the most tired about are people telling other people how they should feel about skinship or it being removed -- on BOTH SIDES, ffs. Accept that different people are "offended" by different things and wanted different things about Fates.

Well you can't just ignore this then

This thread is still a thing, because regardless of how you feel on the subject, someone else was curious about the reasons why. You have no right to tell someone they can't get opinions from other people just because it's within your metaphorical earshot.

This thread is still a thing, because regardless of how you feel on the subject, someone else was curious about the reasons why. You have no right to tell someone they can't get opinions from other people just because it's within your metaphorical earshot.

In case you didn't read my second paragraph (which you obviously didn't), what I'm getting sick of is the latest trend of people telling other people how they should feel. Maybe you should read next time instead of immediately deciding to be an asshole.

The reading part - true.

The "getting offended over what other people are saying or telling other people how they should feel and why part" - needs to stop.

Unless this is some giant conspiracy to make sure that I can't get an entry into Scribbles or something.

Edited by eclipse

The reading part - true.

The "getting offended over what other people are saying or telling other people how they should feel and why part" - needs to stop.

Unless this is some giant conspiracy to make sure that I can't get an entry into Scribbles or something.

Sorry eclipse. I'm probably leaving this thread now.

In case you didn't read my second paragraph (which you obviously didn't), what I'm getting sick of is the latest trend of people telling other people how they should feel. Maybe you should read next time instead of immediately deciding to be an asshole.

Actually, I made the unfortunately optimistic assumption that this thread was simply people stating why they didn't like it without trying to convince anyone of anything.

Reading the past posts crushed those optimistic dreams of an ideal world...

I don't give two shits about the feature and probably wouldn't even use it even if it was included. But I've never liked the principle of censorship because its a slippery slope to go down. In other words where do you draw the line? While extremists, tumblerinas, SJWs or whatever the hell you wanna call them haven't complained about it yet, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see what businesses are now thinking when releasing games here in the US. They would rather prevent it from being an issue to begin with and potentially hurting sales in the first place so they censor it or cut features out. That is the part that I don't like about the whole thing.

Edited by LordTaco42

You know what? Yes, I am saying that.

I'm getting kind of tired of saying this, but fine, I'll say it again. People who didn't want to use this feature, or any other, never had to. So yes, while they shouldn't be as upset about it as the people who actually were looking forward to it, everyone should be upset about the removal of content in the process of localisation.

We're not talking about a feature that wasn't well liked and so didn't make it in to the next game in the series, we're talking about something that was already there and was then removed for non-japanese players.

This is not some moral victory, it's plain and simply the removal of an optional feature in the game, resulting in the people who wanted it losing out, and people who didn't want it gaining nothing.

No, no you're not. Because, for the fifty millionth time, it was an optional feature that has no effect whatsoever on the rest of the game unless you choose to use it. The people who wanted it are missing out, and you have gained absolutely nothing from it's removal.

(Video tells of an optional choice that we should have!)

Were still getting the convos and hopefully Smash will make a turnaround of this as were getting Corrin in a few days. The sales still grow strong and they've likely removed this feature because of not wanting to fund for something that offends some people, or due to time constraints. It'll likely be DLC'd later because taking away a choice that anyone can decide on is not the way to gain sales, but lose them. I just hope to god more than anything that our new change will still give us the stat bonuses and items when we lovely convesate with them. We still are getting the convos of the my room, we just can't pet their faces as we know that doing that in rl, you either get handpicked by the police, and or that people will think that your a creep.

Edited by PuffPuff

I'm too lazy to read 11 pages. Was Skinship definitely removed or not, after all? Do we have a confirmation from Nintendo (aside from the post they made telling us that a confirmation will come later, or something like that)?

##Vote: Rapier

Ahem. . .IGN came out with a podcast saying that skinship's gone, or something like that. Go check out the giant thread on page 2 for that (read backwards). The video was linked multiple times.

Regardless, what DO you think about it?

I'm too lazy to read 11 pages. Was Skinship definitely removed or not, after all? Do we have a confirmation from Nintendo (aside from the post they made telling us that a confirmation will come later, or something like that)?

Multiple people have received emails confirming it's out, and the IGN podcast Nintendo Voice Chat said likewise.

I'd like to fire out for the umpteenth time that (a) a large part of the actual dev team didn't want it in the first place and (b) all NOJ videos showcasing skinship (May Direct, My Castle overview) have been made private.

It could very well be something bigger than just "NOA Testers were weirded out by it so they cut it".

##Vote: Rapier

Ahem. . .IGN came out with a podcast saying that skinship's gone, or something like that. Go check out the giant thread on page 2 for that (read backwards). The video was linked multiple times.

Regardless, what DO you think about it?

Is that podcast trustworthy, though? The same happened when Kotaku affirmed they were told by someone from Nintendo that skinship was gone.

EDIT: Kaze'd

the IGN podcast Nintendo Voice Chat said likewise.

Oh, alright. Thanks. I didn't notice it was an official confirmation from Nintendo before you clarified.

---

Anyway, I'm against skinship. Yes, I know it is an optional feature, and I've played the game without having my experience being affected by it in any way. However, I think this is one element that does not belong to the FE series, and it impacts the overall tone of the game in a bad way. It is not supposed to appeal so hard to fanservice and sexual references (yes, they've got these on skinship scenes), like other strategy RPGs such as Agarest and Disgaea, since its tone is more serious and focused on the hardships of war. I believe I know why IS decided to go through that path and make the FE series "lighter", as JRPGs are becoming famous also for their "lightness" and fanservice and these elements seem to have more success with the newer audience that IS tried to appeal toward, but skinship in particular was too much of a turn away from the tracks. Hence why I am favorable for its removal.

Edited by Rapier

Multiple people have received emails confirming it's out, and the IGN podcast Nintendo Voice Chat said likewise.

I'd like to fire out for the umpteenth time that (a) a large part of the actual dev team didn't want it in the first place and (b) all NOJ videos showcasing skinship (May Direct, My Castle overview) have been made private.

It could very well be something bigger than just "NOA Testers were weirded out by it so they cut it".

Now THIS is a good post. I think that looking at it from an objective standpoint like this makes me a bit less upset about it's omission.

Way better than "I don't like it and I'm glad it's gone" because that's constructive for no one.

Well, not demeriting his post, but every guess about why they've taken skinship off is speculation. I don't know if any discussion about this can get any more constructive without more evidence, so I also abstain from making more theories without any base. Maybe Nintendo will officially declare why they took this element away?

Being opposed to the principle of its removal is a matter of perspective. Normally I would be opposed to cut features in a localization, but I don't think skinship (in its current implementation) is a good thing for the series. It's not simply a matter of choosing not to use it, its inclusion changes the tone and target audience of the game. I've had enough of shipping, anime tropes and player pandering, and skinship is yet another push in the wrong direction. If the feature was cut before the Japanese version was released, it wouldn't be so controversial. With that in mind, I consider the localization a continuation of the development and think the game is being improved to throw out a bad idea.

There is no delay. To delay the release of the game out west this close to release date, would cause a huge amount of PR nightmares even skinship couldnt imagine causing.

This is definitely true, because if they delated the release for skinship, the people who wanted skinshipping would be angry because skinshipping is being removed AND they need to wait for it. The people who didn't care would be angry because it was being delayed for something they didn't care about. And the people who wanted it removed would probably be angry because it wasn't removed in time for it's actual release, AND because it was delayed.

There is no delay. To delay the release of the game out west this close to release date, would cause a huge amount of PR nightmares even skinship couldnt imagine causing.

The part that has me worried is that Nintendo is being so mysterious with this, maybe all the complaints caused to edit more than they already had planned.

I mean, just look at how they privatized the videos in every channel that feature skinship. This isn't censorship. It's not even editing. They're trying to pretend the whole thing never existed.

The part that has me worried is that Nintendo is being so mysterious with this, maybe all the complaints caused to edit more than they already had planned.

I mean, just look at how they privatized the videos in every channel that feature skinship. This isn't censorship. It's not even editing. They're trying to pretend the whole thing never existed.

I think you're overthinking things. I get it, I really do. I agree that its strange and slightly off-putting with how they're handling things, but they've no reason to delay the game. The backlash would be too big, and I think if we found out they were still working on the game 3 weeks til release, we'd all be disappointed in them. That just reeks of sloppiness, which I would hope Nintendo isn't wholly capable of. We all make mistakes now and then, but they've hyped Fates up waaay too much.

I think you're overthinking things. I get it, I really do. I agree that its strange and slightly off-putting with how they're handling things, but they've no reason to delay the game. The backlash would be too big, and I think if we found out they were still working on the game 3 weeks til release, we'd all be disappointed in them. That just reeks of sloppiness, which I would hope Nintendo isn't wholly capable of. We all make mistakes now and then, but they've hyped Fates up waaay too much.

i would say that maybe they shouldn't hype up the next FE game as much, but thats advertisement which is truly what the series needs more of.

maybe just make the advertisement stuff focus more on the core aspects of the game and less of the side features?