Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

I think that's actually a bit too morbid for Nintendo.

I dunno considering Pokémon has had things like Ghetsis (who abused N and was basically designed to be the single most despicable person in the series) and stuff from the XY backstory (lots of death) I wouldn't be too surprised.

I mean there's also stuff like Magcargo which would logically kill you by being nearby so sulfur and oil poison doesn't sound too crazy.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantump is the spirit of a dead child.

In BW2 there's the ghost of dead girl trapped into an eternal nightmare.

N's mental state.

Everything about Parasect. EVERYTHING.

And much more. Much more creepy things in Pokemon.

I think Nintendo and Game Freak crossed the morbid line a long time ago.

I dunno considering Pokémon has had things like Ghetsis (who abused N and was basically designed to be the single most despicable person in the series) and stuff from the XY backstory (lots of death) I wouldn't be too surprised.

I mean there's also stuff like Magcargo which would logically kill you by being nearby so sulfur and oil poison doesn't sound too crazy.

Phantump is the spirit of a dead child.

In BW2 there's the ghost of dead girl trapped into an eternal nightmare.

N's mental state.

Everything about Parasect. EVERYTHING.

And much more. Much more creepy things in Pokemon.

I think Nintendo and Game Freak crossed the morbid line a long time ago.

That's all a different kind of morbid. It's only creepy if you understand it. A Pokemon's body actually being visually decayed is not something that has to be understood to be creepy. It's probably on the same level as the Psyduck in Pokemon Tower in the manga, and that's something that's never been quite matched in the games (in my opinion).

You know something, after reading Water Mage's post I'm beginning to wonder if Rowlet will stay Grass/Flying. Fire/Poison is beginning to make a lot of sense for Litten, and everytime I see Popplio as a Water/Fairy type. It almost makes me wonder if Rowlet will end up Grass/Dragon. Of course Litten could even more easily be dark type which would lend itself to the infinitely less ridiculous Grass/Psychic.

Honestly the amount of hatred Popplio gets on the entire internet is unreal and actually really annoying

it's not even that clowny. it has a slight resemblance, and yet I see people on tons of sites call it an ugly clown seal

That's all a different kind of morbid. It's only creepy if you understand it. A Pokemon's body actually being visually decayed is not something that has to be understood to be creepy. It's probably on the same level as the Psyduck in Pokemon Tower in the manga, and that's something that's never been quite matched in the games (in my opinion).

A lot of the RGB Chapter of Special was violent and stuff, not just the Psyduck, but point taken.

I do think that some things in the games are far creepier than the idea of a "melting tiger" (namely just about everything about Ghetsis, some Dex entries are really creepy, and the idea of eternal life that surrounds X).

But it's just me there.

(there's also the fact that my idea of melting things is a bit skewed because I find Orgodemir to be awesome).

Edited by Glaceon Mage

A lot of the RGB Chapter of Special was violent and stuff, not just the Psyduck, but point taken.

I do think that some things in the games are far creepier than the idea of a "melting tiger" (namely just about everything about Ghetsis, some Dex entries are really creepy, and the idea of eternal life that surrounds X).

But it's just me there.

It IS creepy, but it's mostly just fridge horror. They can get that crap under the radar. I don't think they'd be able to get a 3+ rating with a melting tiger as one of the starters.

Though the gen 7 6 games were 7+ for some reason......

Edited by Litten

It IS creepy, but it's mostly just fridge horror. They can get that crap under the radar. I don't think they'd be able to get a 3+ rating with a melting tiger as one of the starters.

Though the gen 7 6 games were 7+ for some reason......

According to Pegi:

Pokémon X / Pokémon Y www.nintendo-europe.com.

Nintendo of Europe GmbH

The content of this game is suitable for persons aged 7 years and over only.

It contains: Non realistic looking violence towards fantasy characters

This game allows the player to interact with other players ONLINE

And for ESRB

Pokémon X

AddThis Sharing Buttons

mobile search button Get the free video game rating search app and read rating summaries anytime, anywhere.

Platform: Nintendo 3DS

Rating Category:

Content Descriptors: Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence

Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (Nintendo 3DS)

Rating Summary: This is a role-playing adventure game in which players pit their collection of small creatures (Pokémon) against others to become Pokémon League Champion. As players interact with characters in a fantasy setting, they can engage in turn-based battles: selecting attack moves (e.g., Scratch, Earthquake, Electro Ball) from a series of menus. These brief encounters are accompanied by smacking/zapping sounds, blinking/light burst effects, and the depletion of health meters. One Pokémon is depicted with mucous dripping from its nose; (e.g., “It sniffs the snot back..."); a text description for a "Gastro Acid" move reads "The user hurls up its stomach acids on the target."

Perhaps Litten's evolution would not actually be melting, but rather as it evolves, bone-like appendages would appear in it's body, like Houndoom, to give the impression that it's melting, and the oil from it's body it's corrosive. Maybe it would learn a Poison type attack that hurts Steel types by using corrosive oil. It would a little pointless, considering it's already a Fire type.

Maybe a Fire/Poison move, like Hawlucha's Flying Press?

Edited by Water Mage

Honestly the amount of hatred Popplio gets on the entire internet is unreal and actually really annoying

it's not even that clowny. it has a slight resemblance, and yet I see people on tons of sites call it an ugly clown seal

The ignorant masses are ignorant, what can ya do

There is a ghost pokemon that is literally the soul of a dead child.

And thats too morbid?

I think the problem is, the design looks cute in 2D but doesn't translate very well in 3D. There's actually some really cute fanart floating around but they all position its nose a certain way. However the very first trailer is a front face view, the most unflattering view you could possibly have for that nose. Also it looks quite dark and drab in game compared to the bright frill it gets in most fanart. Lately I've been thinking it's not quite as bad as Oshawott, who is very strangely segmented by colour, but from Ken Sugimori's concept art that the Pokemon Company posted, it definitely has poses that just highlight how Popplio doesn't look very good from certain angles or with certain expressions. It has to look cute and cheery and it has to tilt its nose up or down fron a 3/4 view, or else it looks weird.

Edited by Samias

So you know that the Pokemon developers said that they created the Kalos starters with an RPG theme in mind?

Some people in Serebii seems to think that it's a similar case for the Alola starters, only this time the theme is Circus.

Rowlet would the ringmaster

Popplio would be the clown and acrobat

And Litten would be like those tamed tigers that appear in the Circus.

They are speculating that the starters will get more colorful and Circus-like as they evolve.

For example some think that Litten's final evolution will have a huge ring around it's body as a reference to those tigers that jump through flaming rings.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Water Mage

I kinda hope Popplio evolves into a Dolphin that stays on land by balancing on the bubbles it makes

Weirder things have happened

Considering fish can become octopuses, that would be awesome.

Yeah, I might actually pick Popplio over Litten if that's the case! Dolphins are my favorite sea creatures besides seahorses. ^^

Whatever the case though, it looks like I'm going to finally be breaking the pattern I've had with starters in Pokemon games all these years. It's been going back and forth between the Grass and Fire starters, and I never picked the Water starter except for the very first time I played gen 4 (I liked Piplup more at first because I wasn't a monkey fan and didn't know what Chimchar would evolve into. That changed when I actually found myself falling in love with Infernape and I restarted and picked Chimchar).

I picked the Fire starter in gen 6, and I'm either picking the Fire starter again here in gen 7 or the Water starter for the first time since that gen 4 bit.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, somebody pointed this out, which could lead to some speculation on the final evos for the starters.

Chinese Zodiac / Prehistoric Animal / Weapon

8uZzSMK.jpg

So I'm calling Tiger, Archaeopteryx, and... I dunno, maybe a ball and chain?

Edited by Jave

Um, Typhlosion is a weasel, not a rat, and Delphox is a fox, not a dog. :/ Swampert also doesn't use any fan-like weapon. So your theory there doesn't work.

Edited by Anacybele

Um, Typhlosion is a weasel, not a rat, and Delphox is a fox, not a dog. :/ Swampert also doesn't use any fan-like weapon. So your theory there doesn't work.

A fox is technically part of the canine family. I think the fan thing was about the tail. Cyndaquil is the Fire Mouse Pokémon.

Well, somebody pointed this out, which could lead to some speculation on the final evos for the starters.

Chinese Zodiac / Prehistoric Animal / Weapon

8uZzSMK.jpg

So I'm calling Tiger, Archaeopteryx, and... I dunno, maybe a ball and chain?

your theory is flawed because that'll limit fire starters up to 12! And pokemon will surely not die on gen XII!

Anyways, cool theories! Although I lean towards Water Mage's Circus suggestion according serebii. What if Popplio goes Water Fairy? Litten Fire Poison/Dark and Rowlet stays the same?