Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know yet which I'd buy. Prolly Sun 'cuz that lion legendary looks awesome. But regardless, I choose Rowlet, even if its evos disappoint (I'm looking at a particular other brown Grass starter here yeah, you, Chespin). Worse comes to worst, I'll keep it at its basic stage and give it an eviolite or something.

Me and my friend Sebastian already made a contract on who gets what version. Getting Sun myself. My other friend views us as being too hypocritical for liking Pokemon but shitting on Naruto, perhaps missing the fact that a literal toilet has more literary worth than Naruto. Regardless, the hype is real!

Me and my friend Sebastian already made a contract on who gets what version. Getting Sun myself. My other friend views us as being too hypocritical for liking Pokemon but shitting on Naruto, perhaps missing the fact that a literal toilet has more literary worth than Naruto. Regardless, the hype is real!

Really? They think Naruto is better written than Pokemon?

I don't hate Naruto, but compared to it, Pokemon has actually interesting writting when they create a story.

For example, Black and White. N is fascinating character, and Ghetsis is actually a very accurate sociopath. And the theme of the game is actually though-provoking.

Pokemon is sort-of hit-or-miss. At the end of the day, the trainer's still human, even if the Pokemon are doing things like bending time and space.

Here's hoping that we don't get another Team Aqua/Magma thing in Sun/Moon (even though environmental protesting is something that Hawaii has to deal with).

Oh, I wouldn't mind two teams in the same set of games again! It was one of the few things I liked about RSE, in fact. And I actually planned that for my fan region. The two teams are feuding over the climate in this case, with Team Arctic trying to make the climate cooler and Team Tropic trying to make it warmer. I'm surprised GameFreak hasn't actually done this yet.

Edited by Anacybele

Pokemon is sort-of hit-or-miss. At the end of the day, the trainer's still human, even if the Pokemon are doing things like bending time and space.Here's hoping that we don't get another Team Aqua/Magma thing in Sun/Moon (even though environmental protesting is something that Hawaii has to deal with).

Makes me wonder what kind of evil team would fit Hawaii.

Kalos, which is based on France, had an evil team based on fashion, which fits the stereotype that everyone from France has an interest in fashion.

Pokemon is sort-of hit-or-miss. At the end of the day, the trainer's still human, even if the Pokemon are doing things like bending time and space.

Here's hoping that we don't get another Team Aqua/Magma thing in Sun/Moon (even though environmental protesting is something that Hawaii has to deal with).

ORAS made them marginally better, though still stupid.

I hope that the "evil" team is well and truly made up of well-intentioned extremists; I feel like "sun" and "moon" may actually have to do with climate and temperature.

Oh, I wouldn't mind two teams in the same set of games again! I actually planned that for my fan region. The two teams are feuding over the climate in this case, with Team Arctic trying to make the climate cooler and Team Tropic trying to make it warmer. I'm surprised GameFreak hasn't actually done this yet.

Team Arctic FTW.

Edited by The DanMan

Makes me wonder what kind of evil team would fit Hawaii.

Kalos, which is based on France, had an evil team based on fashion, which fits the stereotype that everyone from France has an interest in fashion.

It's a really fine line, because some of the issues here get super-de-duper touchy. I think the "safest" would be a team that didn't want foreigners in the region (due to the fact that certain cities on the continental US will give their homeless a one-way ticket here). Next-safest would be a team protesting the rapid industrialization of the region. . .this is next-safest because the police have been involved due to public safety reasons. I'll give GameFreak points if they attempt to tackle the sovereignty/race issues, but it's really hard to make a villain that's not offensive.

It's a really fine line, because some of the issues here get super-de-duper touchy. I think the "safest" would be a team that didn't want foreigners in the region (due to the fact that certain cities on the continental US will give their homeless a one-way ticket here). Next-safest would be a team protesting the rapid industrialization of the region. . .this is next-safest because the police have been involved due to public safety reasons. I'll give GameFreak points if they attempt to tackle the sovereignty/race issues, but it's really hard to make a villain that's not offensive.

I think we can give Game Freak a chance.

They handle the animal abuse thing quite well in Black and White.

Granted they could fail miserably with theme like this.

That being said, I could an evil team trying to return everything to nature. ORAS's Team Aqua had a similar intention, but I think it can be used again.

Oh, right, forgot about the military issues, which will be ignored, because guns.

Anyway, the environmental issues deal with how fast Hawaii is being developed (specifically, a certain telescope). They don't want everything to return to nature, they want things to stop changing so quickly. I can see their sentiment, because if Hawaii winds up with a bunch of big-box stores and skyscrapers like everywhere else. . .then what makes us different from everywhere else?

Oh, right, forgot about the military issues, which will be ignored in the localized version, because guns.

Fixed that for ya. :P (remember the one anime episode featured guns, but it was banned outside of Japan because guns. It's the one that takes place in the Kanto Safari Zone and caused confusion out west about where Ash got all his Tauros)

Oh, right, forgot about the military issues, which will be ignored, because guns.Anyway, the environmental issues deal with how fast Hawaii is being developed (specifically, a certain telescope). They don't want everything to return to nature, they want things to stop changing so quickly. I can see their sentiment, because if Hawaii winds up with a bunch of big-box stores and skyscrapers like everywhere else. . .then what makes us different from everywhere else?

Oh, I know that they don't want to return everything to nature, but I'm pretty sure the game would want to make the things more "grand".

For example, maybe the evil team leader is someone who is tired of seeing his beautiful homeland being "destroyed" by industrialization, and believes the only way to restore his homeland's beauty is by destroying everything.

Fixed that for ya. :P (remember the one anime episode featured guns, but it was banned outside of Japan because guns. It's the one that takes place in the Kanto Safari Zone and caused confusion out west about where Ash got all his Tauros)

. . .can you do me a favor and cut that out? It's not funny.

The military issues here are a mess and a half, and I can see serious issues with an antagonist whose goal is to get their presence out.

EDIT:

Oh, I know that they don't want to return everything to nature, but I'm pretty sure the game would want to make the things more "grand".

For example, maybe the evil team leader is someone who is tired of seeing his beautiful homeland being "destroyed" by industrialization, and believes the only way to restore his homeland's beauty is by destroying everything.

No, that's going to piss off a lot of people here.

Edited by eclipse

. . .can you do me a favor and cut that out? It's not funny.The military issues here are a mess and a half, and I can see serious issues with an antagonist whose goal is to get their presence out.EDIT:No, that's going to piss off a lot of people here.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Guess I went a little overboard with speculating.

Hawaii has its own issues, and trying to take everything to its logical end kind of spits on why they're issues in the first place. The only ones I can sort-of see are the ones that I said earlier, and even then, it'll be tricky, because racism is so very touchy.

For something that's both super-safe and super-irrelevant, GameFreaks could attempt to say something about the state of education here, but schooling hasn't been a true theme throughout the Pokemon games (at best, it's a minor one). I will flip my shit if there's any mention of a railway system.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind something themed around alternative power sources, either, but that's sort-of tied in to the environmental issues.

Edited by eclipse

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Guess I went a little overboard with speculating.

She was talking to Ana, not you.

Edited by The DanMan

Hawaii has its own issues, and trying to take everything to its logical end kind of spits on why they're issues in the first place. The only ones I can sort-of see are the ones that I said earlier, and even then, it'll be tricky, because racism is so very touchy.

For something that's both super-safe and super-irrelevant, GameFreaks could attempt to say something about the state of education here, but schooling hasn't been a true theme throughout the Pokemon games (at best, it's a minor one). I will flip my shit if there's any mention of a railway system.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind something themed around alternative power sources, either, but that's sort-of tied in to the environmental issues.

Could you elaborate on the railway issue, please? I know very little of Hawaii and its political situation.

Still, haven't we recently had a focus on the environment, shoddy though the execution might have been? Then again, Lysandre was talking about natural resources, and people seem to be thinking there'll be a lot of throwbacks to Kalos, so who knows where they'll go with this.

Hawaii has its own issues, and trying to take everything to its logical end kind of spits on why they're issues in the first place. The only ones I can sort-of see are the ones that I said earlier, and even then, it'll be tricky, because racism is so very touchy.For something that's both super-safe and super-irrelevant, GameFreaks could attempt to say something about the state of education here, but schooling hasn't been a true theme throughout the Pokemon games (at best, it's a minor one). I will flip my shit if there's any mention of a railway system.

Maybe they will try to tackle a theme that doesn't have anything to do with Hawaii.

It seems these days, Pokemon games always have a "theme".

For example, according to Masuda himself, Unova's theme is "Cultural Melting Pot" and Kalos's theme is "Beauty".

I wonder what Alola's "theme" would be.

Masuda is giving a lot thought to the regions recently.

She was talking to Ana, not you

Even so, I felt like I made light of Hawaii's problems, so I do apologize.

Edited by Water Mage

. . .can you do me a favor and cut that out? It's not funny.

...What? Cut what out? I wasn't making any jokes or anything. All I was saying was that I think guns could still be in the Japanese version because of the anime, that's all. You don't need to be rude. Sorry, geez. :/

Anyway, I noticed the theme thing going on with the regions myself and was continuing that trend with my fan region, whose theme is Geology/Climate. I do wonder what Alola's theme will be!

Edited by Anacybele

Could you elaborate on the railway issue, please? I know very little of Hawaii and its political situation.

Still, haven't we recently had a focus on the environment, shoddy though the execution might have been? Then again, Lysandre was talking about natural resources, and people seem to be thinking there'll be a lot of throwbacks to Kalos, so who knows where they'll go with this.

The main reason why I'd be pissed is because the railway issue will be resolved within ten years, whether we like it or not. Furthermore, it's mostly an Oahu problem, so I don't think it's fair to the rest of the islands. Recently, the head of the project stepped down, an audit is going on, the price tag is going to exceed $6.9 billion, and the proposed route covers something like a third of the traffic problem. Oh, and they'll probably unearth a burial site or two while constructing it, which almost always leads to delays (not the fault of the burial site, the fault of the planners for not taking this into account).

I think the main issue is "change". Things are changing in Hawaii, and quickly. Some people love it, some are meh about it, and some people dislike it.

Maybe they will try to tackle a theme that doesn't have anything to do with Hawaii.

It seems these days, Pokemon games always have a "theme".

For example, according to Masuda himself, Unova's theme is "Cultural Melting Pot" and Kalos's theme is "Beauty".

I wonder what Alola's "theme" would be.

Masuda is giving a lot thought to the regions recently.

If this region calls attention to some problem that isn't really native to Hawaii, that would be cool. Wouldn't be surprised if the theme in this region is "Past and Present" (given the scenes I saw, which ranged from urban to grass shacks).

EDIT:

...What? Cut what out? I wasn't making any jokes or anything. All I was saying was that I think guns could still be in the Japanese version because of the anime, that's all. You don't need to be rude. Sorry, geez. :/

You are talking about something you do not know anything about (namely, the state of the military here). Cut THAT out. As for guns. . .pretty sure they won't be mentioned on their own unless it's the military, since gun ownership here is pretty low.

Edited by eclipse

I do have to ask what was wrong with Water Mage's idea that would make people mad.

I could see it if it was something exclusive to one place, but I don't feel than nature preservation is really a singular topic.

I took it that you meant that his use of having a grand team leader would be disliked because they were silly, but I actually adore people like Archie and Maxie who go out there and do whatever. By comparison, I find Cyrus and Ghetsis pretty boring because they aren't cartoony enough.

so I'd totally welcome water mage's idea because I want pokemon to have a Saturday morning cartoon style plot

I do have to ask what was wrong with Water Mage's idea that would make people mad.

I could see it if it was something exclusive to one place, but I don't feel than nature preservation is really a singular topic.

I took it that you meant that his use of having a grand team leader would be disliked because they were silly, but I actually adore people like Archie and Maxie who go out there and do whatever. By comparison, I find Cyrus and Ghetsis pretty boring because they aren't cartoony enough.

so I'd totally welcome water mage's idea because I want pokemon to have a Saturday morning cartoon style plot

Because it's a fucking complicated issue, that's why (go see my comments on the rail earlier for what "complicated" means). Or at least, it is over here, due to Hawaii's history.

The main reason why I'd be pissed is because the railway issue will be resolved within ten years, whether we like it or not. Furthermore, it's mostly an Oahu problem, so I don't think it's fair to the rest of the islands. Recently, the head of the project stepped down, an audit is going on, the price tag is going to exceed $6.9 billion, and the proposed route covers something like a third of the traffic problem. Oh, and they'll probably unearth a burial site or two while constructing it, which almost always leads to delays (not the fault of the burial site, the fault of the planners for not taking this into account).I think the main issue is "change". Things are changing in Hawaii, and quickly. Some people love it, some are meh about it, and some people dislike it.If this region calls attention to some problem that isn't really native to Hawaii, that would be cool. Wouldn't be surprised if the theme in this region is "Past and Present" (given the scenes I saw, which ranged from urban to grass shacks).

Maybe the theme will be finding the right balance between nature and industrialization. This isn't something exclusive to Hawaii.

One thing that noticed from the small amount of dialogue from the trailer, is the fact that they kept calling Alola a "tropical paradise" and how beautiful the region is.

Even the professor says to the trainer "Welcome to paradise!" or something similar.

Which, by the way, means that the game will most likely start with the player moving to the region. Interesting, they used that in Kalos and Hoenn as well.

Edited by Water Mage