Opinions on the kids  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the kids?

• Yes, I very much enjoy them
    • Yes, as a gameplay mechanic
    • My feelings are mixed
    • I don't care about them
    • No, I dislike them
    • I make a personal exeption for Velouria (Velour) / Selkie (Kinu) for.........reasons
  2. 2. Do you want this feature to return in the next game?

• Yes
    • Yes, only if it's like Geneology of the Holy War
    • Maybe
    • No

I honestly dislike the children characters in awakening and likely will in fates to (I'm a European so I don't know yet *Grumble Grumble*.) This is mainly because I felt no investment to them for two reasons. One is the generation gap not allowing supports between first and second gen so I rarely see their supports and don't know/ care about what their character story is in addition they just feel like outsiders in this story, they don't belong, they have no reasons to be in this fight. The second reason is that they come at a time where I have already got all the units that I like using so I likely won't make room in my team for them anyway.

I would not like children to return unless it is genealogy of the holy war style though if that is the case I expect the children to be alot older than the ones in fates such as kanna. and if the first generation returns later in the story they had better have different character portraits and everything ie. actually look older

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your post, but the thing is... the bolded part doesn't have to be the case!

They already proved this, with Chrom and Sumia in Awakening. Each only had five (IIRC?) potential romantic partners. There's no reason this couldn't be extended to everyone, plus or minus a few for each character. This would naturally and inevitably lead to fewer supports being garbage, and to make up for it we could get more supports that don't fit this exact model.

The only disadvantage this has is it would become possible to lock yourself out of a kid (as you could lock yourself out of Cynthia if you married off Chrom, Robin, Henry, Gaius, and Frederick to non-Sumia people). But this isn't a problem at all, because players who plan out their pairings could still get everyone, and those of us who don't wouldn't notice the difference.

I guess that's true. However, this system, clearly set up to encourage a Chrom/Sumia marriage, falls apart once a player reads the Chrom/Sumia support. This is due to the same philosophy of not caring about the quality of the supports, just that they exist. It's especially egregious since it is one of the most encouraged supports in the game, if not the most. This may be arguing against my own point, but even limiting the number of supports doesn't seem to guarantee quality. However, I don't believe consistent high quality can exist with this many supports.

I think the kids are alright but seriously? Awakening's excuse to bring kids into the battlefield was better, time travel was part of the narrative. This "Deeprealm" for them to train and grow up fast? I think it's retarded really. I'm not saying time travel was perfect in Awakening since it left some plot holes but the concept of the Deeprealm is kinda stupid.

Aside from that, the more the merrier. I like kids and I want them to make a return, just no more Deeprealms. No more Dragon Ball Z in my Fire Emblem thank you very much.

I guess that's true. However, this system, clearly set up to encourage a Chrom/Sumia marriage, falls apart once a player reads the Chrom/Sumia support. This is due to the same philosophy of not caring about the quality of the supports, just that they exist. It's especially egregious since it is one of the most encouraged supports in the game, if not the most. This may be arguing against my own point, but even limiting the number of supports doesn't seem to guarantee quality. However, I don't believe consistent high quality can exist with this many supports.

Yeah, that's fair. And obviously a smaller number is no guarantee of quality; GBA romantic supports were often pretty awful (IMO at least) and there were never more than ~3 per character.

And yeah, for a canon support they were pushing, Chrom/Sumia sure was disappointing. Good gameplaywise though.

Yeah, that's fair. And obviously a smaller number is no guarantee of quality; GBA romantic supports were often pretty awful (IMO at least) and there were never more than ~3 per character.

And yeah, for a canon support they were pushing, Chrom/Sumia sure was disappointing. Good gameplaywise though.

Maybe, but the great part was that you didn't have to do those romantic supports if you didn't want to. Unlike in Awakening and Fates, where you are deliberately removing chunks of content from the game if your characters don't get laid, the only real downside was that you might not get a paired ending, which was pretty insignificant. Platonic supports were just as valid as romantic ones.

Thinking about how to solve this made me realize that unlimited supports with limited characters is actually very possible. Characters could exist in clusters, where generally everyone in the cluster is able to support each other, and maybe having some options outside the cluster. Instead of having conversations in isolation, it would appear more like a group or community. Marriage and children could even work in this system, with the S rank returning. Just anything they can do to make the conversations more natural and dependent on the characterization. This system can even allow for more variety on new games, since you would be incentivized to change your squad lineup entirely, because the clusters work best together.

Edited by Vitezen

I hate the US support for Chrom and Sumia by the way.

I think they're thinking about the inheritance system when they have that excuse for quantity of marriage options.

...and, well giving the player a lot of options to pair whoever they want in a pool of characters.

I personally want a return to the GBA days despite the design limitations. The quality difference is debatable. I mean look at the supports people never look at in FE6. However the amount of personalization for each support has a bigger chance of having quality, the less supports in total they have to make, even with S supports. That's just my personal opinion, despite part of me welcoming this whole movement of "accessibility".

Edited by shadowofchaos

When it comes to gameplay I do enjoy the 2nd Gen Characters. I had tons of fun in Awakening trying to figure out the best possible pairings for skills stats etc. But story wise they are pretty bad. The supports at times range from average to bad and with the large amount of characters and possible supports the writing can get worse.

Cause of this, as most have already said I would welcome the return of 2nd gen if they where done like Holy War.

Edited by IsaacBorg