Opinions on the kids  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the kids?

• Yes, I very much enjoy them
    • Yes, as a gameplay mechanic
    • My feelings are mixed
    • I don't care about them
    • No, I dislike them
    • I make a personal exeption for Velouria (Velour) / Selkie (Kinu) for.........reasons
  2. 2. Do you want this feature to return in the next game?

• Yes
    • Yes, only if it's like Geneology of the Holy War
    • Maybe
    • No

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a lot of them as characters and I find the mechanics to be great. Heck, I'm sure the reason IntSys keeps including them is because they love the eugenics mechanics too (combining two characters to create a new one), so they'll probably find ways to keep adding them.

Story wise, I agree the inclusion is dumb and stupid, but you know what? EVERYTHING about this game is dumb and stupid so it all fits just fine. Outside of a few situational moments (major character deaths), this game almost never takes itself seriously so I can't really bring myself to hate it.

I like a lot of them as characters and I find the mechanics to be great. Heck, I'm sure the reason IntSys keeps including them is because they love the eugenics mechanics too (combining two characters to create a new one), so they'll probably find ways to keep adding them.

Story wise, I agree the inclusion is dumb and stupid, but you know what? EVERYTHING about this game is dumb and stupid so it all fits just fine. Outside of a few situational moments (major character deaths), this game almost never takes itself seriously so I can't really bring myself to hate it.

Except they dumbed down the eugenics component of all of it so that no one has to shed a tear that their ship isn't "the best!!!111!!!"

Don't have the game so I can't speak how much I like them in terms of personality or the gameplay mechanics other than this time around I find the justification being dumb as hell and poorly implementation since they have no relevance to the overall plot. I do like the child mechanic in general and I would love to see more in future games though with better justification to implement them. At least having plot relevance to the overarching story arcs.

I see three possiblilites that I find at least better plot justification to implement the children in future games. First two would be how they handle it both in genealogy of the holy war and in awakening. As for the third is another time travel shenanigans however this time 1st gen travels into the future one shape or form cuz plot reason, instead of 2nd gen children tavel back.

Still I probably will like to another style of genealogy of the holy war or at least how agarest generations of war handle the child mechanic, well the MC at least.

Basically I like the kids as characters, but I utterly despise the implementation.

Gameplay wise they are a vast improvement from Awakening, but the device that puts them into play is even more silly than Awakening, which I didn't think was possible.

Jedi described it completely the same as I would.

Except they dumbed down the eugenics component of all of it so that no one has to shed a tear that their ship isn't "the best!!!111!!!"

The eugenics is still there. If you isolate it.

Making it easier is to encourage interactions between players.

You're starting to sound like you hate it because "it doesn't feel as special" trying to optimize. Like how he Casual mode inclusion started debates.

Accessibility with interaction is a good thing. Nothing is stopping you from finding the best setup from breeding.

My Castle is a completely optional component. The inheritance system is still as deep, if not more, intellectually stimulating for setups as Awakening.

Edited by shadowofchaos

That's honestly irrelevant to what I said. The overall component is still there, but whether which game implements it better is up to each individual.

How exactly do you feel they "dumbed down" the eugenics? I don't really consider giving characters the ability to use A+ and S Rank Supports to gain new classes "dumbing" anything down. In fact, it's the opposite, it adds another layer to min maxing entirely.

Im mixed on them. I only like, like five of the kids as characters. And they really didnt need to be in the game. These characters could have existed in some other form, not as children units. Oh well. Im glad Soleil, Ophelia, Velouria, Forrest, and Selkie exist in some form or another. What im not glad of, is the fact they had to create some bullshit pocket dimension for them to freaking happen. Why they couldnt just happen like Bond Units, is beyond me.

However, i really detest some of these second gens this time around. Like Caeldori, Asugi, Siegbert (hes not offensive as much as bad design and boring), and KANA. Like, i think i might gay-marry all the time on Conquest/Revelation because i dont have to put up with Kana. (ill miss out on Nina, but im ambivalent about her tbh) I really really do not like Kana. They are just so...no.

If this mechanic returns, can we please have a time skip ala FE4?

I have very mixed feelings about the kids.

On a very general scope, I dislike them. None of them really stand out to me (ok, I love Little Cheese but thats different), especially in terms of comparing them to Awakening's. 90% of them are so forgettable and boring I usually only use them for paralogue grinding in Conquest. I mean, I really wanted and tried to like Kana but he's basically a "cuter" Morgan 2.0 who has no reason to be as Mama-crazy as his counterpart and has literally no personality outside of this. At the very least the Awakening children has personality and presence IMO, perhaps due to the story shenanigans which made them kinda relevant or perhaps due to the fact that there were just less of them altogether, but in Fates they just don't sit well.

In terms of plot, they are an absolute shoehorned mess that I'd rather pretend doesn't exist. They have no plot relevance and only serve to make the world even more contrived than it already is - which is a feat. It's very obvious that they're just in there because of Awakening's popularity and I think that can be said of a lot in Fates, which may have benefited a little more from being developed in more of a vacuum.

However, I do like the idea of children. I absolutely adore the ideas of G1+G2 presented in FE4 and I loved the kids in Awakening and expected them to at least improve on them in this game. I'd love a full-blown timeskip in the next game, however I'm not confident IS is willing to take the risk of isolating the more fanservicey, player-catered aspects of these past two games by killing off/aging up G1 characters and restricting marriage. I don't really want a timeskip if all it yields is an Avatar character who magically doesn't age and can marry the kids of their fallen/aging allies.

EDIT: I would, on the other hand, like a timeskip where perhaps you can create your own child (maybe with a fixed hair colour so your spouse is acknowleged?) IF the Avatar aspects remain (which I'm quite certain will, given now they're kind of moving towards it being a staple of the series.) But again, I'm also confident that it will never happen.

Edited by nordopolica

I hate hate hate the justification behind their existence, but I actually like quite a lot of them as characters and their paralogues=more gameplay and more experience which is oh-so limited in Conquest.

I definitely want want IS to focus on something different for the next game though, so I'd rather the children mechanic not to be back.

Unless it's a remake of FE4 which would be nice since I haven't played that one

However, i really detest some of these second gens this time around. Like Caeldori, Asugi, Siegbert (hes not offensive as much as bad design and boring), and KANA. Like, i think i might gay-marry all the time on Conquest/Revelation because i dont have to put up with Kana. (ill miss out on Nina, but im ambivalent about her tbh) I really really do not like Kana. They are just so...no.

Out of curiosity what makes them "no?"

Is it because they're really... boring? Because I won't lie, as much as I think my Kana is cute, I much prefer Morgan (who is more interesting imo.)

Out of curiosity what makes them "no?"

Is it because they're really... boring? Because I won't lie, as much as I think my Kana is cute, I much prefer Morgan (who is more interesting imo.)

Its really hamfisted cuteness factor. Im one of those people who arent really into conventionally cute child characters. Kana being so "adorable" is annoying. That, and they literally have no personality. The Morgans were distinct. They wanted to be like their parent, but they were their own creatures even between the genders. FeMorgan was a blithe and carefree, but also a wee bit manipulative, which was discussed in her supports a little. She also had a temper. MaMorgan was really carefree and jovial and just a really nice young bloke. He was adventurous and wanted to try doing everything ever.

Kana has no changes in personality between genders. And all they are is "rrr rrr im a durgin! Im so cute, mama/papa pay attention to me! Im obviously too young to be doing anything ever but here i am!"

Its really hamfisted cuteness factor. Im one of those people who arent really into conventionally cute child characters. Kana being so "adorable" is annoying. That, and they literally have no personality. The Morgans were distinct. They wanted to be like their parent, but they were their own creatures even between the genders. FeMorgan was a blithe and carefree, but also a wee bit manipulative, which was discussed in her supports a little. She also had a temper. MaMorgan was really carefree and jovial and just a really nice young bloke. He was adventurous and wanted to try doing everything ever.

Kana has no changes in personality between genders. And all they are is "rrr rrr im a durgin! Im so cute, mama/papa pay attention to me! Im obviously too young to be doing anything ever but here i am!"

Yeah, I can see why. I do miss my Morgans. Even though their designs are cute as Hell, their supports feel less... meaningful? Compared to the Morgans at least.

especially mmorgan and nah

I like the idea of having the kids in the game, but it feels really tropey. Despite the rest of this post, I really enjoy the concept of generating more units for your army in this fashion. Dragon Quest V was one of my favorite games, as it was the first in which my whole party was husband, wife, and the kids.

I'll accept that FE has turned into a fanfiction/visual novel/dating simulator/SRPG Conception, but I would really prefer if the way it was implemented was more sound. In Phantasy Star III, the characters got hitched, had a kid, and the kid was played for the second act of the game.

In Fates, it was the hyperbolic time chamber. Sure, they had to find a way to shoehorn 'em in, I guess, but it's intensely unbelievable. Not in the "Oh, a poptart baby is fine, but a Deus Ex Machinegun is not?" way, but rather, in the "wouldn't you want to be with your child and see him/her grow up? You really just dumped him off on a nanny and somehow they have unfaltering love for the parent that's seen them.. what? Four times in 14 years?" way.

If we're to believe that Corrin would ever select Nohr over Hoshido, due to the feelings he has for his family that is not related by blood, how could you expect the child units, every single one without fail, to ditch the family that raised them when biological-dad comes back and says, "Time to come with me, sweetie."?

Yeah, I can see why. I do miss my Morgans. Even though their designs are cute as Hell, their supports feel less... meaningful? Compared to the Morgans at least.

especially mmorgan and nah

Yeah, tho my HEAVY manakete bias prevents me from disliking Kana, she/he is certainly a letdown compared to Morgan. Also, Morgan can be a manakete too, so Kana can't even sway me with that

I do like that Kana allows for part fox part dragon part human beings tho, that's legit awesome.

Jedi described it completely the same as I would.

Haha, I'm glad I was able to sound well versed then :P:

I'm just wondering what factor of DBZ they'll be taking next in FE15, I mean we had the History of Trunks (Lucina and the Kids in the dark future), now kids in basically a world that runs on a different time than the "real" world (Hyperbolic Time Chamber).

Maybe at this rate we'll just have kids with a timeskip after the main hero sacrifices their life, while their son/daughter defeats an arc villain.

Edited by Jedi

D... do I know you? Did you include this option because you knew I'd demand it if you didn't?

Kana is just too sweet for me to dislike her, any way she is 2cute4me

yes this is exactly my problem with Kana

their whole character is basically "THIS IS CUTE, RIGHT"

i didn't even bother recruiting them because after reading their first line of dialogue I realized that they were just trying ridiculously hard to make them cute

i kinda feel like i'm not giving them a fair chance since my knowledge of them just comes from seeing their supports and recruitment paralogue dialogue but

i just really hate the whole "I'M CUTE I'M DOING CUTE THINGS" thing instead of actually trying to make a character cute and likable through their actual... well, character.

I'm just wondering what factor of DBZ they'll be taking next in FE15, I mean we had the History of Trunks (Lucina and the Kids in the dark future), now kids in basically a world that runs on a different time than the "real" world (Hyperbolic Time Chamber).

Maybe at this rate we'll just have kids with a timeskip after the main hero sacrifices their life, while their son/daughter defeats an arc villain.

CeliceFE5.png

okay maybe not sacrifice but...

also jesus christ this image blew up more then i wanted

Edited by Ebony

CeliceFE5.png

Yes I'm aware of FE4 :P: (Great game).

Its just the progression of stuff used from the Android/Cell Saga haha

Edited by Jedi

Honestly, i want that. I want a darker fucken story too. With Kids.

CeliceFE5.png

also jesus christ this image blew up more then i wanted

lmao. It would be nice to remake FE4, but like, i dont feel like theres room for an Avatar in that game. And you know they would try to put one in.

Honestly, i want that. I want a darker fucken story too. With Kids.

lmao. It would be nice to remake FE4, but like, i dont feel like theres room for an Avatar in that game. And you know they would try to put one in.

Literally just replace Oifey with an avatar, and your good. I'm sure some would complain, but this is the easiest solution.

Another reason I don't think they'll do a timeskip even though I love FE4 RIP remake is because it means that if there are no substitute characters there's the issue of time limits on S/A rank supports in order to get the kids, which could lead to Chapter 11 Chrom automarry shenanigans, and would also mean a potential Avatar character doesn't get their pick of the lot and we know we can't have anything that puts the player's marriage candidacy at risk!!!!

Literally just replace Oifey with an avatar, and your good. I'm sure some would complain, but this is the easiest solution.

I'd rather them not replace someone who'd make it to the 2nd generation, but thats probably what they'd do, or just make him/her best buds with Olfey, Finn and Shannan