Opinions on the kids  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the kids?

• Yes, I very much enjoy them
    • Yes, as a gameplay mechanic
    • My feelings are mixed
    • I don't care about them
    • No, I dislike them
    • I make a personal exeption for Velouria (Velour) / Selkie (Kinu) for.........reasons
  2. 2. Do you want this feature to return in the next game?

• Yes
    • Yes, only if it's like Geneology of the Holy War
    • Maybe
    • No

I'm just wanting to get a general opinion on the kids in this game.

for me atleast I'm mixed on the whole thing

some of them I like and some of the supports are just adorable like MCorrin and FKana

and there are those I just don't care about

however they do make for some near broken units and their maps make Conquest more manageable

well at least they don't create time paradoxes this time around

(some of the kids in Awakening)

-don't die on me Mom/Dad or Don't leave Mom/Dad or I won't exist

-a parent dies in the next battle

-The kid is still around

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise them. I despise that the mechanic was brought back for this game when it has no relevance to plot, and I don't like the kids themselves either. I don't even recruit the damn children anymore.

I like some of them in terms of personality, but the mental gymnastics used to justify them existing is pretty bullshit. I also don't like how they pretty much invalidate their parents in most cases when it comes to gameplay, so I'd rather they not come back.

Fates implementation is beautiful mechanically speaking, but that comes at the cost of their story implentation. That said, barring the second gen Awakening trio, I very much like them as characters, and their supports are generally very good.

I'm fine with them becoming a mainstay feature, tho I would much prefer a better plot reason to justify their existance.

To be honest, yeah, I like most of the kids. Heck, some of them are in my list of favourite characters (Shinonome and Velour), buuuuut the excuse for them existing is kinda weird tbh. Like, I'm glad they're in the game, but the justification is kinda weak ngl.

I don't want the 2nd gen feature to return in the next game though, because having it in three games is enough, imo.

Edited by Matt-hue

I like some of the kids characters and I'm fine with the idea of kid characters. Pairing up parents to make a unique kid is fun... That said the implementation of it was weak. The Deeprealms make no sense what-so-ever. Personally I liked the concept and implementation in Awakening but here it just feels forced and illogical. Because I like the mechanic itself I'm not complaining but I'd rather have it be done intelligently instead of like this.

Also I'd like to add some of the mechanics of the kids are weird. They force too much onto the kids due to parental choices. It would be nicer if the kids couldn't potentially clash with their flavor text due to their parents. (The biggest example of this being Arthur's kid Percy, who has a terrible luck stat cap despite being very lucky in flavor text. )

Edited by Fircoal

I like most of the kids as characters, but would only like to see them back for FE15 if it was Geneology-style. Because I'm rooting for FE15 to be a Geneology remake. Otherwise, I think they should be excluded from at least FE15.

I like the characters themselves despite how a lot of them a gimmick based but I hate how they were implemented and I hope they don't return, especially if they intend to allow same-sex marriages to return. I am forever salty about how if I make a self-insert gay, like myself, I can't have kids.

I don't feel anything towards a lot of the kids other than that they're wasted characters due to, as someone put it, the mental gymnastics necessary to justify them being there. That said, I really like Shinonome's character, and for some reason I like Velour even though I myself can't justify it - maybe it's all because of the neat design.

No general opinion on the kids. I liked most of them, but:

I like some of them in terms of personality, but the mental gymnastics used to justify them existing is pretty bullshit.

This is what mainly irks me about the kids.

Basically I like the kids as characters, but I utterly despise the implementation.

Gameplay wise they are a vast improvement from Awakening, but the device that puts them into play is even more silly than Awakening, which I didn't think was possible.

I enjoyed them as part of the cast, but I agree that the justification for them in Fates was pretty stupid. If they find a way to implement them that isn't annoying, then I'd like them to return. However, if they can't, then I feel they should be removed.

Besides that, Kiragi and Sophie have to be my two favorite kid characters (As of right now, since I only completely Birthright). I really love their personalities, especially Kiragi.

I forgot to mention that I think Kanna is just the worst. It's pretty much a Morgan stripped of any personality and just an increased dosage of cute.

The supports also all seem to deal with being a family; like, they just talk about being related, or at least that's all I remember from reading through the supports. Some are better than others, of course, but aside from Ophelia and Soleil's A-rank with their fathers, nothing sticks out in my memory.

Kids are fun, kids are fine.

I might be bothered by their implementation if fates had a plot but thankfully that's a non-issue.

(Oh god ophelia's A rank with Odin, that is the best support and it COMPLETELY blindsided me)

Edited by joshcja

TBH, I was hoping the kids wouldn't make it in to this game, simply because I thought it would undermine one of Awakening's biggest gimmicks. As they are, I'm torn. They work really well from a gameplay perspective; they are very customizable, but not broken and can stand shoulder to shoulder with their folks without completely overtaking them (like in Awakening). From a story perspective though... well, that's just it, there is basically none. We get 3 screens of he game telling us why they exist and that's it. Frankly, I'm kind of amazed that's all we got. I mean, it's clear Fates was not written with the kids in mind, but I'm amazed IS didn't make that a mandate for Kibayashi's outline. Yes, I know that he basically just wrote them a story bible (events that happen), but it's hard to believe that after how popular they were in Awakening, it feels like they were only considered for Fates at the last second. Regardless, I like the majority of the kids personality wise (and I prefer gameplay over story every time), so I can live with it. It's all but certain to stay a series standard from here on out, so I'd just like a little more actual plot justification for next time.

If I had to propose a new way to implement the kids, I would go full Phantasy Star 3/Agarest War and make more than 2 Generations. Have 3 or so generations of characters and make Pairing them up an integral part of the mechanics, like in FE4 where you got mostly inferior Substitutes if you didn't Pair up the kid's Mothers. Have the Avatar character stay on as a constant (kind of like Finn) to allow players to truly immerse themselves in such a massive story, but also give them a constant unit.

Edited by Avalanche

I enjoy the kids a lot, really do like them, but the way they were implemented were stupid.

Also, I don't particularly mind the Awakening reincarnations, but sometimes I kinda wish they weren't there, 'cause I find Shiro/Hisame/Mitama/Kiragi more interesting.

If they do Kids again, it should be like Genealogy or bust, tbh.

I agree with this, but I don't think they could pull off a Genealogy again though. Like they can't just mass kill all the first gen again like they did in FE4 since that would seem like they are just reusing a story aspect of a previous game and that would just be in bad taste, but how else would they switch from Gen 1 to 2. That is why I feel they should just be out of the next game.

I said "I don't care about them" because while I hate that they were forced into FE14, a few of them interest me as characters. But if there's no good reason why children should be in the next game, then don't put them in just because. I would rather not have them return next time.

I forgot to mention that I think Kanna is just the worst. It's pretty much a Morgan stripped of any personality and just an increased dosage of cute.

Both Morgan and Kana annoy me because they just exist to worship the player like "wow Avatar parent you are just the most incredible human ever I want to be just like you you are so amazing and can do no wrong".

I hate the kids here and how they're implemented, with only Shiro being the exception (since he's actually a decent character in and of himself). It reduces the variety of units you get, the amount of lategame prepromotes, and the character designs since everyone has to look fuckable (so no more actually really old people like Niime or Jagen). And honesty, I'm sick of the focus on min maxing and eugenics that children inevitably bring. Like, if I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics, I'll just play Final Fantasy Tactics. This isn't why I play Fire Emblem.