In which blah the Prussian blind reacts to FE Fates: Conquest

And considering the way it was revealed, it ruined the "moment of truth". I mean, from logical point of view it made sense for Ranulf not to hide the truth and tell Ike at that moment, but it felt so anti-climatic...

See what happens when apply basic logic to a videogame? It ruins everything!!!

Ironically, according to some people here, *cough*Thane*cough* the lack of logic in Conquest is what's ruins the story.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Knight/Zelgius did not come out of left field at all, to the point where parts of the fandom had figured it out after PoR. I would also argue that the Black Knight is totally devoid of anything interesting character-wise until you connect him to Zelgius and his backstory as a Branded, so I really can't agree that the twist ruined his character.

Also as always, I roll my eyes in the direction of calling Conquest's plot the least liked in the series when stuff like Shadow Dragon exists.

I mean, I doubt anything will ever be as bad as Zelgius being the Black Knight, ruining two perfectly good characters with one plot twist of shit.

now as bad as that was, wasn't it planned from the start? like, on the SF page for PoR it says stuff about how you could see in the files a ton of things that pretty much added up to "zelgius is the black knight"

so i'm assuming they at least had it in mind when they were writing it, as much as it doesn't seem like it

i'm not saying it's not dumb but just that it was what they were doing from the start, so it could've been done a lot better

Black Knight/Zelgius did not come out of left field at all, to the point where parts of the fandom had figured it out after PoR. I would also argue that the Black Knight is totally devoid of anything interesting character-wise until you connect him to Zelgius and his backstory as a Branded, so I really can't agree that the twist ruined his character.

I'll agree with this. While I appreciated the threat he posed, I didn't care for the Black Knight as a character in Path of Radiance. What were his motivations there? Fighting strong people? I'm drawing a complete blank.

I'll agree with this. While I appreciated the threat he posed, I didn't care for the Black Knight as a character in Path of Radiance. What were his motivations there? Fighting strong people? I'm drawing a complete blank.

He was on spring break looking to get hammered obv.

He came out of left field for me because the story did not provide enough for me to give a flying fat ass pig about either of them.

Hell, after playing RD, I had to go back and play PoR because I legitimately did not realize Zelgius was in that game. I sat there, confused as doodoo because they made the reveal and I did not realize Zelgius was a person I should have cared about.

So, that was probably my fault.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

He was on spring break looking to get hammered obv.

That sounds more like Validar, honestly. He just joined the Grimleal one day as a joke and now he can't back out.

Don't drink and sign papers, kids.

I thought the same, did he really do anything? I mean, I liked him as an intimidating antagonist, and as a sort of rival for Ike but... did he really do anything on his own? I don't really see anything interesting about him, nor do I really get his motivations (especially if he's not supposed to be a bad guy).

Basically, the Black Knight's strength as a villain was both his menace and his evil. He kills in cold blood, and then the RD story tries to make excuses for him. Meanwhile, Zelgius, a badass sympathetic general, was ruined by being connected to the BK.

The mystery, don't forget the mystery surounding him, what we know, and what we don't know about him.

There is only a few things that you truly know about him: Some sort of loyalty toward Sephiran, his wish to kill and surpass his old teacher (And it backfired in the process :p), his god-tier level of power, and that he is not afraid of slashing things out of his way.

He is also the one who drop the bomb of who was Greil, and started the whole Medallion backstory which was pretty badass. Everytime he is there, you keep it in mind, cuz' he is badass, cuz he have charisma.

Yes, I'm ignoring RD's existence, why do you ask ?

Edited by B.Leu

Okay, I will not be reacting to chapters 11 and 12 today, because a certain lobster like individual critted Camilla on a 9% chance.

Edited by blah the Prussian

Man, this thread is making me laugh so hard! I've got to step up my playing pace so I can keep reading it! Also, going to go back to the beginning to comment on something.

-How the fuck does Hans push Gunther off the bridge when Gunther is on a MOTHERFUCKING HORSE?

I'm pretty sure from the animation Hans did not actually push Gunter off the bridge, as they were fighting a board broke under the horse and the pair of them fell through. Which would make sense since that horse has to weigh an approximate shit ton with the fully armored man on its back plus its own armor, plus the fact that a horse strong enough to carry all that would have to be huge.

My issue is why has Gunter's "death" not been mentioned since? I'm putting death in quotes because I've learned that unless that unless you actually see the moment of death or the corpse then nothing is certain. Corrin asks Hans why he did it, then the old great knight who saved his/her tail in the last few chapters and appears to have been a significant figure in his/her life has not been mentioned again (at least up to chapter 10). Not even Felicia/Jakob asks, "Hey, where is Gunter at?" when they rejoin you! If the game wants to "kill" off a character and make it meaningful they should make it seem like someone in game remembers the person's existence!

"Something is there in the story. It should not have been there. It should have been done another way that was not the way that it was done. Time to go make <insert fanwork here> rectifying the mistake that has been done. <insert fanwork here> has been completed. Time to move onto next beef." Essentially my formula for everything I watch and read.

Basically, this. Complaining about Conquest's plot is beating a dead horse.

Also as always, I roll my eyes in the direction of calling Conquest's plot the least liked in the series when stuff like Shadow Dragon exists.

I'd argue that SD is superior to Conquest from a plot standpoint. It's very simplistic and unambitious, certainly, but it succeeds at telling what it wanted to tell: the story of Marth's reclamation of Altea and slaying of Medeus, no hiccups or asspulls involved.

Conquest is genuinely confused at what it's trying to do; yes, Corrin eventually succeeds in overthrowing Garon, but the amount of filler, blatant third-path teasing, and general nonsense that goes on throughout drags everything down.

Man, this thread is making me laugh so hard! I've got to step up my playing pace so I can keep reading it! Also, going to go back to the beginning to comment on something.

I'm pretty sure from the animation Hans did not actually push Gunter off the bridge, as they were fighting a board broke under the horse and the pair of them fell through. Which would make sense since that horse has to weigh an approximate shit ton with the fully armored man on its back plus its own armor, plus the fact that a horse strong enough to carry all that would have to be huge.

My issue is why has Gunter's "death" not been mentioned since? I'm putting death in quotes because I've learned that unless that unless you actually see the moment of death or the corpse then nothing is certain. Corrin asks Hans why he did it, then the old great knight who saved his/her tail in the last few chapters and appears to have been a significant figure in his/her life has not been mentioned again (at least up to chapter 10). Not even Felicia/Jakob asks, "Hey, where is Gunter at?" when they rejoin you! If the game wants to "kill" off a character and make it meaningful they should make it seem like someone in game remembers the person's existence!

Huh, I seem to recall that Hans pushed Gunter off. Ah, whatever.

Fuck Chapter 12 so much. I'm on my 6th try. Any advice before I go once more into the breach?

It's really not that hard. Bring everybody straight up and clear out the mid section of the map. Position a couple reliable tanks, then break all the pots. The apothecaries that attack should be at half health and easily one-rounded. Then, you really just need to clear out some enemies and run Corrin to the top of the map.

Uuuuuuh, go fast (You can route the top half on like turn 5 lunatic if you're running a good build, turn 9ish if you're packing mediocre trash like Effie)

Staff Ryoma with freeze+Enfeeble and he just dies.

Edited by joshcja

Uuuuuuh, go fast (You can route the top half on like turn 5 lunatic if you're running a good build, turn 9ish if you're packing mediocre trash like Effie)

Staff Ryoma with freeze+Enfeeble and he just dies.

At this point in the game, the only other real tank you have is Camilla- and considering it stays that way for a couple more chapters, I fail to see how Effie is "mediocre trash". And by mid-game, a Great Knight promotion/reclass can solve her mobility issues.

Honestly, the LTC mindset of some people gets incredibly frustrating.

Well my Effie at least isn't mediocre trash; she's more like a destroyer of worlds. My problem seems to be that I was putting Xander's retainers, Niles, and Kaze (oh believe me I WILL be ranting about him joining Nohr when I finish this nightmare) in the back of the map to attack the archers. Enfeeble; I'll have to remember that. I can't remember why I lost the first few times, but the fourth time I lost because Ryoma dodged Effie's javelin at 80% and then critted Camilla at 9%, and the sixth time I lost because that fucking Silence cleric hit Felicia 4 times in a row at 50%. God, fuck the rng.

At this point in the game, the only other real tank you have is Camilla- and considering it stays that way for a couple more chapters, I fail to see how Effie is "mediocre trash". And by mid-game, a Great Knight promotion/reclass can solve her mobility issues.

Honestly, the LTC mindset of some people gets incredibly frustrating.

res in peace silas 2015-2016

a sad unloved cavalier with comparable def to effie and an actual move stat so he has larger reach and mobility

which amazingly enough is useful in casual play

good long-term utility and can carry effie as a stat stick to boot

but nope effie and camilla are the only tanks left

(actual strat if not on lunatic: make sure as many people as possible get that very first medicine pot which is always +4 def, kill kagerou+saizo+friends with ranged attacks over the pots using not armor units, line your dudes up along the entrance to the courtyard, hit the DV with corrin and player phase the shit out of the courtyard. don't waste time fighting ryoma, the secret to the secret book is you don't need it 'cause it's a goddamn secret book)

res in peace silas 2015-2016

a sad unloved cavalier with comparable def to effie and an actual move stat so he has larger reach and mobility

which amazingly enough is useful in casual play

good long-term utility and can carry effie as a stat stick to boot

but nope effie and camilla are the only tanks left

I'm not well versed in the particulars of Silas, namely because he just seems to come up short for me. I literally forgot about him because I benched him at about that point due to sucky level ups.

It's worth noting that the back of a pair is a good way to protect someone from status staves if you absolutely need them next turn.

I had some issues with Silas's viability as a tank too, mostly due to a string of really meh levels causing him to fall behind. He became a pair-up backpack for Effie, though he occasionally still sniped some kills here and there. Funny thing is, Effie got hit by a similar string later, but since hers was delayed enough to let her get so far ahead of the curve in the first place, she didn't mind it nearly as much as Silas did. Then Sophie came in and did all the things Silas wished he could do. Really hoping he'll turn out better in at least one of my next two playthroughs, since I do like the guy.

I'm not well versed in the particulars of Silas, namely because he just seems to come up short for me. I literally forgot about him because I benched him at about that point due to sucky level ups.

Abuse VoF more.

The alternatives to Effie require a lot more game knowledge/In depth planning but oh boy is it worth it to not have to cart lardass around maps.

The full list of units who are better at Effies job than Effie is (with a bit of creativity) and come before ch 12 in no real order....

Arthur, Silias, Jakob, Dwyer, Corin, Odin, Camilia, Beruka.

She's such a fucking trap. (Good unit, Just stuck in thwomp for life)

Edited by joshcja