Character opinions that have changed

Tolvir

Disliking Leo for how he acted at the beginning of Forrest's paralogue is pretty petty. He's not perfect. He didn't have a good initial reaction to Forrest's hobbies. However, by the end of that same paralogue, he apologizes for his behavior, wanting to make up for his past judgments.

I'm free to dislike him if I want. You don't see me judging your opinions. The thing is, this wasn't an initial reaction to Forrest's hobbies. It's mentioned that Leo has done that kind of thing before (Though Forrest mentions that he usually isn't that harsh) Elise mentions that Leo visits Forrest even less often than the other parents visit other kids, and even when he's almost to his deeprealm, Leo keeps trying to make excuses so that he won't have to. When he finally sees his own son again after what must have been years for him, he calls him a disgrace. When Forrest is captured, Leo hesitates to help him, and if it weren't for Elise, Forrest would have died. Forrest at the end of the paralogue also mentions that Leo rarely says anything nice to Forrest. While that support was changed in the localization, Forrest's japanese support with his mother shows that he is deeply self-conscious about how people treat him and make fun of his hobbies. Imagine how it must have felt for Forrest to keep getting nothing but insults from his own father.

TL;DR: Leo is a pretty shitty father. I think I'm perfectly justified in disliking a character when I have reasons to do so.

Edited by Luankachu

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm free to dislike him if I want. You don't see me judging your opinions. The thing is, this wasn't an initial reaction to Forrest's hobbies. It's mentioned that Leo has done that kind of thing before (Though Forrest mentions that he usually isn't that harsh) Elise mentions that Leo visits Forrest even less often than the other parents visit other kids, and even when he's almost to his deeprealm, Leo keeps trying to make excuses so that he won't have to. When he finally sees his own son again after what must have been years for him, he calls him a disgrace. When Forrest is captured, Leo hesitates to help him, and if it weren't for Elise, Forrest would have died. Forrest at the end of the paralogue also mentions that Leo rarely says anything nice to Forrest. While that support was changed in the localization, Forrest's japanese support with his mother shows that he is deeply self-conscious about how people treat him and make fun of his hobbies. Imagine how it must have felt for Forrest to keep getting nothing but insults from his own father.

TL;DR: Leo is a pretty shitty father. I think I'm perfectly justified in disliking a character when I have reasons to do so.

And he learns to regret how he acted, which you are completely ignoring.

Sheesh, how blind can you be.

And he learns to regret how he acted, which you are completely ignoring.

Sheesh, how blind can you be.

CUT IT OUT, BOTH OF YOU.

Luankachu - You're in a thread full of judgement and opinions. It's bound to hop over to judging other people's opinions eventually. If it's your opinion, and you're free to have it, then there's no need for a paragraph of why it's justified.

Sentinel - You DO realize you're criticizing someone over their opinion about a fictional character?

- The character who surprised me the most in the game as a whole was Leo. I didn't have any negative impressions of him at all going into the game, but I have to say, he may be my favorite royal sibling. Gameplay wise, he's probably the easiest mage to use on Conquest and his great Growth Rates made keep him as a Dark Knight (which was probably my least favorite Awakening class) over my planned Sorcerer reclass. I also really liked his Support with Nyx and his relationship with Forrest was great. Leo acknowledges how crappy and unfair he was to his son over his hobbies and in their Supports, he is all for Forrest inheriting Brynhildr, but he also respects Forrest wanting to wait and grow into the role. I dunno, I just loved it (it doesn't hurt that Forrest is my favorite kid) and liked Leo way more than I thought I would.

- For how unenthused I was when we heard they were in the game, the Awakening trio was also really good. It showed how much they had changed from their last appearance and Inigo and Owain's convo's with their daughters were wonderful.

- Considering she was the "Kawai" little sister, I ended up liking Elise a lot more than I thought I would. Her actual combat lines are great and her crits are hysterical.

- Shiro is bro and a guy I could totally hang with

- Camilla is a double-edged Sword for me. All of her plot related dialogue and her Supports with Corrin are super creepy and appealing to one specific demographic and that's it. However, I really love a lot of her Supports. She and Niles work great, I thought her and Keaton were amusing (her immediate response to his proposal is hilarious) and I absolutely adore her Support conversations with her potential kids. Seriously, from trolling Nina, to killing bugs in Ignatius's tent and even assuring Velouria that she would be there when she woke, I really liked how she was written in those Supports. Admittedly yeah, all they did was flavor the same generic mother script, but her unique dialogue in them really sold me. Plus, her Guard Stance quotes fits really well with her kids, as opposed to being insanely creepy... like with everyone else.

- Honestly, I'm really not that big a fan of Hana; the person I wanted to marry on my first Birthright run. She's basically Mia 2.0 (Which is cool) and we even share a birthday! It was perfect! Then her and Corrin's C Support was her shaming him for being kidnapped as a small child... yeah. Her and Baki had a decent Support I guess.

- Admittedly, I haven't used him at all nor read really any of his conversations, but Siegbert just seems like the most aggressively bland character since... I dunno, FE6? Seriously, can anyone recommend a decent Support chain for him? I don't hate him, I'm just legit curious if he's way more interesting than his appearance and (admittedly kinda boring) voice lead on.

Edited by Avalanche

Played Conquest and most of Birthright, so my list might change. Leo and Takumi were my favorites in the promos, and they ended up being my favorites so far. :P Which is great.

Positives:

Arthur: Didn't think I'd like him based on design, but he's a pretty funny guy

Xander: I thought I would be really neutral on him at best, but I ended up really liking him. Despite his flaws.

Hayato: One of those "I'm not a kid" characters. But he turned out to be really sweet too; I consistently liked his supports.

Keaton: I didn't like his design that that much, but after he started talking, I instantly fell in love with him. I love those really transparent tsundere types!

Negatives:

Hana: She looks so cute, but I just couldn't find anything to like about her other than her design. She reminds me of a little dog that's constantly po'd at the world.

Azura: I generally don't like heroines in RPGs, but I liked her even less than I thought I would. Maybe Revelations will change my mind.

In general, I liked the cast a lot more than I thought I would.

Azura: I generally don't like heroines in RPGs, but I liked her even less than I thought I would. Maybe Revelations will change my mind.

Speaking as someone who would literally fight someone who trash-talks Azura to the death in a cage mage if you're problem is her role in the story, Revelation won't help at all.

Positive changes (note: i only played the japanese version, so all characterization is judged by those standards):

Ryoma: I was pretty interested in him from seeing the trailer. Initially most of his in story portrayal left me pretty cold though. Then I looked a bit closer, read more of his supports and had some conversations with his loyal fans, which eventually caused me to become more enthusiastic about him again. His characteriation is sadly very subtle and usually fades under that GoodGuyTM image he has for the most part.

Sakura: At first, I wasn't really that interested in her. I sympathized with her shyness, but also felt like that trope was too overdone in japanese media. But she repeatedly surprised me during the main story, often displaying a great amount of courage and willpower. I love that she was perfectly willing to fight Corrin in Conquest and absolutely refuses to be left behind or sheltered from battle on multiple occasions. Her personality is also just a lot more pleasant for me than Elise's, and so she has made her way to number 3 of my favourite royal list.

Saizo: Just by his design and the meagre character notes we started out with, I thought he would be a boring tough guy ninja, but I am glad to have been proven wrong. He has a lot of shades to him, and can be surprisingly entertaining, as well as more flexible than some might believe. Also he is completely devoted when married, which is pretty cute.

Oboro: Her voice, as well as the crush we knew about from the beginning, made me really afraid she'd be a one-dimensional Cordelia 2.0. Though I still don't really like pairing her with Takumi, I do appreciate her character and the amount of personality she consistently expresses in her supports. She just goes incredibly well with almost anyone.

Orochi: I didn't really like her outfit at first, and was wary of her being the Hoshidan Camilla, but she does have her own personality that I appreciate. Her teasing is mostly amusing, and I actually like that she often goes too far with it. It's a realistic character flaw for her to have, not actively malicious but simply thoughtlessly insensitive. The game should have called her out on it more, because I definitly think she is a far cry from intentionally stomping on peoples feelings like Azama, Jakob and Niles. I also really love her relationship with Kagero (whether friendly or otherwise).

Scarlet: I was initially indifferent to her, because I am not really a fan of her design. Still, she turned out to be very sympathetic and engaging character, who sadly got shafted by being a Corrinsexual. She really deserved better.

Charlotte: Another case of a misleading design and initial description. Love her character, love her supports, though I have some trouble getting her to work as a unit.

Flora: I was very indifferent towards the maids in the beginning. This remains true for Felicia, but Flora is a very likeable character with her own thoughts and motivations that actually go beyond Corrin. What a pleasant surprise. Her general design is great, though I wish she could wear something besides a maid uniform in her art.

Shara: I vastly prefer her over her Tharja incarnation in Awakening. She can actually be pretty sweet and comes off as having more to her than just creepy stalking. Her support with Female Corrin is great and sweet, and it's such a shame how the localization returned her to just being Tharja again.

Mitama: Thought she was boring at first, but something about her just ended up charming me. Maybe I just sympathize about wanting to sleep all day and write poetry..

Negative Changes:

Jakob: Where to start. From the promotional material we had, I really liked the guy and thought about marrying my Corrin to him. But when his supports gradually got revealed and the sheer unpleasantness of most of his interactions with people who aren't Corrin or his closest associates became known.. Yeah I turned out not to be very fond of the guy.

Silas: Though i was never enthusiastic about the whole childhood friend trope, he seemed sympathetic enough to make it work for him. His supports generally soured me on his character. And outside of being the generic nice guy, he has really nothing to bring to the table, so I ended up mostly indifferent to him.

Azama: I thought he was pretty funny at first. He didn't read as negative to me as Jakob did, but his supports with Kagero and Sakura are so awful, that I couldn't help but strike him off my fav list.

Setsuna: Something about her kept me hoping there would be more to her than just her gimmick, but everything we ended up getting from her was just more of the pitfall thing.

Soleil: Design wise, she was never anything but Laslow with long hair. My first experience with her character came from her support with her dad, which I ended up liking a lot. Then I tried reading more supports of her and... when it's not just another rehash of her gimmick, it's outright harassment. Flirting with her mom is just so unsettling. Really everything about her became a disappointment to me.

I thought I'd dislike Elise's character but she ended up being too cute to ignore so I like her now.

Kana just bores me now.

Hinoka's hug and being cute sold me on her. 10/10 Would bang if you weren't my sister.

A few more I wanted to add

Oboro: I thought I was going to hate this character. The whole racism thing that I kept hearing about was driving me away from the character, but when I did her support with Benny it really changed my opinion of her. She is one of the only characters to not be afraid of Benny at first (which is why I hate Corrin's support with him, why the hell would Corrin be scared of Benny?), and their S-Support was actually pretty sweet. She is now one of my favorite characters, and she is a great unit from gameplay perspective so its all good.

Niles: Another character I thought I was going to hate. His entire innuendo/antagonizing personallity was going to get old quick for me, but once again after doing some of his supports, and actually using him, he is one of my favorites. I loved quite a few of his supports, and his nonchalant attitude in combat kills me.

Takumi is probably the largest one for me. I hated this character at first when I played through Conquest. I thought his constant hatred for Corrin was taken well past the entire no trusting problem Takumi has, and was taken to ridiculous levels just to try and get you to hate him. It wasnt until the final chapter that I started to actually like this character.

The entire scene where Corrin is "dead" and talking to Takumi's spirit was really cool, and was something that made me actually like the character.

Funny, Takumi is the only one who acts realistically and calls Corrin out on his shit in Conquest, and you hate him for that. And then the ending, that made no sense and felt really dumb and forced, is what made you like him.

Ryoma, I thought he was a stoic, way-of-the-samurai type of guy when I was playing through Birthright, but watching my friend play Conquest, I realized he was more cold-hearted than stoic, especially to Corrin and Elise. Up until a certain point, spoilernospoiler.

Leo, I saw as sort of a mirror to Takumi at first, but as I went more in-depth with his character I saw more and more of myself in him. Figuratively, of course. He's the distant younger brother, sort of a bookworm at times, and probably has some sort of fashion sense. And really likes tomatoes.

Funny, Takumi is the only one who acts realistically and calls Corrin out on his shit in Conquest, and you hate him for that. And then the ending, that made no sense and felt really dumb and forced, is what made you like him.

That is a matter of opinion. I thought he acted realistically to a point, and then it became a little unbelievable. I liked the ending of it and thought it was well put together. You clearly didnt since you have to call out my post and say that my reason was really dumb, thanks. I really do not want this thread to dissolve into another Conquest thread, so if you have some changes in opinion of characters, please post them here, I would love to see them. If not, there are about 30 other threads for you to go and complain about what you didnt like about Conquest's writing.

That is a matter of opinion. I thought he acted realistically to a point, and then it became a little unbelievable. I liked the ending of it and thought it was well put together. You clearly didnt since you have to call out my post and say that my reason was really dumb, thanks. I really do not want this thread to dissolve into another Conquest thread, so if you have some changes in opinion of characters, please post them here, I would love to see them. If not, there are about 30 other threads for you to go and complain about what you didnt like about Conquest's writing.

If you bring up a point then i'm allowed to respond to it, no? If you wanna agree to disagree that's fine but doesn't mean i'm not allowed to respond to your opinion. Or did you create this thread for everyone to post their own thoughts and no one being allowed to respond other people's posts?

And i didn't even call your reason dumb, you must have misread that.

Edited by BruceLee

If you bring up a point then i'm allowed to respond to it, no? If you wanna agree to disagree that's fine but doesn't mean i'm not allowed to respond to your opinion. Or did you create this thread for everyone to post their own thoughts and no one being allowed to respond other people's posts?

And i didn't even call your reason dumb, you must have misread that.

Maybe I did misread it, and if I did, I apologize. The way I read it felt like you were making fun of or attacking my reason for liking the character. I am fine if you reply to others, I would just rather this not turn into a thread full of arguments like what started on the last page.

No hard feelings, sorry if i came off a bit strong, i tend to do that.

I don't really have any change of character views yet(EU). I did really like Saizo's design when i first saw him and after seeing more of his character he's become my fave character. I love badass characters(also Saizo reminds me of the guy in my AV).

Edited by BruceLee

CUT IT OUT, BOTH OF YOU.

Luankachu - You're in a thread full of judgement and opinions. It's bound to hop over to judging other people's opinions eventually. If it's your opinion, and you're free to have it, then there's no need for a paragraph of why it's justified.

I apologize if I came across as too aggressive, I was having a rather rough day yesterday. I'm totally okay with other people having different opinions than me. It's expected, since Leo is the favorite character of the fandom according to the official polls, but I kinda hoped that it wouldn't be too much trouble to be respectful about it, since people had been really civil before.

I'm also pretty sure I'm misunderstanding something but "There's no need for a paragraph of why it's justified"? Isn't this the whole point of this thread? To talk about which characters whom you changed opinion about and the reasons for doing so? I admit that I seemed harsher than I intended and I apologize for it, I could have worded it better, but is it so wrong to elaborate on my initial post? Feel free to correct me and point out what I did wrong. I'll try not to make the same mistakes in the future.

I apologize if I came across as too aggressive, I was having a rather rough day yesterday. I'm totally okay with other people having different opinions than me. It's expected, since Leo is the favorite character of the fandom according to the official polls, but I kinda hoped that it wouldn't be too much trouble to be respectful about it, since people had been really civil before.

I'm also pretty sure I'm misunderstanding something but "There's no need for a paragraph of why it's justified"? Isn't this the whole point of this thread? To talk about which characters whom you changed opinion about and the reasons for doing so? I admit that I seemed harsher than I intended and I apologize for it, I could have worded it better, but is it so wrong to elaborate on my initial post? Feel free to correct me and point out what I did wrong. I'll try not to make the same mistakes in the future.

I'm gonna grab that paragraph in question, and bold what got my attention:

I'm not really sure how you view/feel about disagreements in general. However, if you feel the need to state that you're allowed to dislike a fictional character, twice (what I bolded), that tells me that you were pretty offended by what Sentinel said. His reply to your paragraph was as aggressive as his previous reply, so I'd expect just as strong a response from you to it, and that usually ends up leading to warns and other things I'd rather not do. That's why I stepped in when I did.

I honestly think they did a good job deconstructing the archetype Elise came off as. If you're really paying attention to what she says in and out of supports, the girl clearly has a brain and just isn't respected enough to share her insight. I know the feeling.

Also want to give a shoutout to Selena. Just based on what I've read so far, her facade is much weaker in this game than in Awakening and she acts more like a person than an anime character. I have nothing but respect for her motivations and work ethic.

Edited by Inference

I honestly think they did a good job deconstructing the archetype Elise came off as. If you're really paying attention to what she says in and out of supports, the girl clearly has a brain and just isn't respected enough to share her insight. I know the feeling.

That's the same impression I had after some supports and through more playthroughs. There's a decent number of people mentioning Elise here, wonder if it was this specific cause.

Edited by Lanko

Anyways, Benny was a bit of a weird character for me. While I've nothing against the gentle giant character, I didn't really know if I'd actually care much for Benny himself, being a Knight where there was already another one from much earlier, and who has much more offensive presence. You can blame a playthrough of Fates for that that used Effie over Benny.

But then I got the game, and while yeah Benny didn't really beat out Effie in offensive presence, he grew considerably on me, especially in the rumors that the army was spreading about him and his many reactions to them, especially how he sometimes even jokes about them being true (and then those jokes backfiring). Plus, he just never dies. Ever. He only died like once, when I switched him over to Berserker for a time. His defensive ability trumps everyone in the army, and his resistance isn't crap like most males. He had some difficulties early on, but I slapped him with Wary Fighter and made those worries go bye bye.

Selkie is probably a more extreme example of the above. At first I downright didn't care about her because she was a child unit and... that's about it. Child unit prejudice because I thought all the children were poorly written, and that having a favorite child unit wouldn't mean much.

But then I played her paralogue and died from cuteness overload. She far exceeds all of my expectations of her as a fighter to, but OHMYGOD SHE IS TOO CUTE AND LIKEABLE AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Anyways, as for the opposite side of the scale, thinking I'd like them but then not, there is Hana. She seemed like an interesting unit at first, being a tomboyish samurai and all, but then after a while I felt like she existed solely as Sakurasexual, especially in her S rank with Keaton and all of her supports with the Avatar. That really turned me off. I like Sakura to, but there is only so much you can obsess in my opinion.

For another character, there is Takumi. At first I didn't care much for him, but he seemed popular with a lot of people so I tried to give him a chance. I just couldn't. I did try though, and in the end what set me off was the fact that in Rev, he didn't join because he chose to believe the avatar. It felt more like Izana's death convinced him to join. It felt like it was only later that he realized that that oh crap, Corrin was actually telling the truth.

I mean, Xander, Ryoma, Leo, Sakura, they all decided that yeah, I'll believe in Corrin. Hinoka and Elise I think were like that to, but that might have also been them wanting to be with their brother. Takumi never gave me the feeling of "yeah I wanna do this with you."

I was one of the people who hated arthur at his announcement but that changed. Other than that my opinion on the awakening trio has improved since in awakening severa and owain where my least favourite characters. However Severa is far less bitchy she is mostly the same just less bitchy and it makes all the difference believe it or not I actually like her now. Owain hasn't changed at all but after getting a really good owain in awakening (a swordmaster with a levin sword) I have come to at least bear him. The leaves Inigo who was my second favourite child character anyway (no my favourite is not Lucina, its Noire Fight me) so no change for him. Other than that I have come to lose some respect for effie and I have grown to like benny a lot. Same with Beruka

What on earth was this in response to?

There was a bit of an argument before I posted. By the time I actually published my post there were more comments made. Consider the "..." as my reading the comments in question.

(I actually liked Takumi to begin with, unlike most people here.)

Same. I had no beef with the kid and his role in the game made me like him more.

Mine is weird. Cuz im still figuring out some characters after using them more. (like Shiro and Seigbert)

I was pretty stoked about Nyx after seeing some of her JP supports and stuff. In comes English!Nyx, and i want it to die in all the fires of Gehenna. Nope nope nope nope.

I loved Camilla to bits, and i still do love her, but there are things about her that disappointed me. Like her lack of real role in the game, and no expansion on her nature. :(

Saizo made me eyeroll a few times initially. Until i found out hes a total dweeb underneath all that edge.

I had no real opinion on Kagero until i got to know her. Shes honestly one of the coolest (and grossly underrated) characters in the game.

Orochi is one i was also a bit indifferent to (outside of liking her design). But i got to know her too, and i LOVE her.

Tsubaki, i was all about this dude to begin with. Beeline to marry him in BR. I still like him, but after getting to know him (and his horror child, Caeldori), im not so in love anymore.

Rhajat. Shes really weird for me because i began thinking "oh i liked Tharja so ill like her just fine." But her initial presence in her paralogue put me off pretty big. I felt like they just flanderized the shit out of the idea of Tharja. Then i started seeing Rhajat support with people and im now swinging back to "yes yes good good. I like this character." I think if we keep her away from Corn, she cool.

Selena is also kinda odd. I hate Severa with a passion. Shes literally one of the only characters from Awakening that i despise (not named Emmeryn). When she showed up in this game, im like "OH GODS WHY DO YOU FORSAKE ME SO!" and having to put up with that bitchy ass voice again.... It wasnt really until i played Hidden Truths (which was like, the other night) that i didnt want to gnaw her face off. Her support with Laz definitely helped too. So its gone from "make it die" to "yeah i tolerate you."

Shiro didnt leave me with the best first impressions. He came off as a bit of a prat and a little Vaike-like. But then i had him support with Seigbert, and this whole person was revealed. Shiro acts like a real freaking person. I do think it is a bit odd that Ryoma, who is Mr. Bushido, has this lowkey slacker as a kid. But hes a lovable lowkey slacker!

Seigbert, i found him boring at first and the mullet made me go "why". But now i think hes the sweetest soft spoken nerd.

Azama, i didnt know what to think about this guy at first. Like during JP release stuff i just couldnt get a read on this dude. Come English!Azama, and im like "yeah you know what? No."

While i still do like Jakob a lot, its not nearly as much as i thought.

I loved Hinoka the moment i saw her. However, these days, she disappoints me. Perhaps even more than Camilla.

Azura looked like Yet Another Waif and is in the story. But i like how she has a personality in her supports, and i like her for it.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson