Character opinions that have changed

Tolvir

I find constant bitching about the game's story more exhausting than the game's story.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Like I understand people dislike it, but with people parroting how much they dislike it, really undersells how much good Fates actually did do aside from the story, and its just quite aggravating .

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Like I understand people dislike it, but with people parroting how much they dislike it, really undersells how much good Fates actually did do aside from the story, and its just quite aggravating .

Then maybe IS shouldn't have gone on about how they put so much effort into the story and how they considered the story to be a step-up from Awakening! <3

I was very pleasantly surprised by Selena. Severa is that special kind of Tsundere that I hate, the kind that's an inexcusable jerk 90% of the time but is expected to get a free pass on it because she has a select few instances where she acts decently. I'm never quite willing to give that free pass because someone who's a jerk most of the time is still a jerk, no matter the rare exceptions.

So I wasn't exactly happy to see Severa back but I kind of like her now. From the get go Selena is very devoted and nice to Camilla and I think having such a figure does wonders for a tsundere. If you immediately give me an example that one can be unconditionally nice then I'm going to have an easier time believing it. Its why Takumi doesn't bother me. Selena has no strings attached and had no previous outburst before she got so friendly with her new master. It shows some growth compared to the brat she once was.

Saizo wasn't a character I thought I would like. His design looked boring and I thought he was just going to be some stoic ninja guy. But he's actually quite funny when he wants to be, is baddass and has good supports. Now Saizo is probably one of my favorite character in Hoshido.

I never really thought about Izana and Asama but now I find them hilarious.

I received Hayato better then most upon his reveal. While he clearly was Ricken II I was willing to give him a chance, being so arrogant would set him apart from Ricken who was more of an eager to please boyscout. That was my thought about Hayato and he only needed not to be an obvious clone for me not to dislike him. And then he started copy pasting Ricken's Avatar support....

The big one I negatively changed my view on would be Garon. His design is pretty fantastic and he had everything going for him to become a villain like Trabant and Neasalla....and yet that didn't happen. Garon's and therefore Norh's justifications are merely informed attributes and ignored in favor of a completely uninteresting mustache twirling villain with nothing in his favor. Garon's problem isn't that he's uninteresting himself but that he FORCES others to be uninteresting as well. Why bother giving you a choice between nations when one of them is presented as evil as Doluna or the lopt guys.

It also doesn't help that they did wrote a Garon as Garon should be and then deliberately wrote him out of the story

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Then maybe IS shouldn't have gone on about how they put so much effort into the story and how they considered the story to be a step-up from Awakening! <3

Because it is a step up from Awakening's. Even if it's a baby step.

Remember that you have a choice on what you say. Does the world need to know, time and again, that you don't like the story?

Oboro's the only character who I've had a dynamic opinion on. I liked her design, but when I first heard about her personality it didn't sound appealing, and I was worried it would dominate her characterisation. From what I've read, she seems well-rounded.

I don't really follow gameplay threads, but do they ever get derailed by story discussion? That would be one thing, but otherwise, I see no reason why other people's opinions on the story should affect anyone's enjoyment of the game.

I don't really follow gameplay threads, but do they ever get derailed by story discussion? That would be one thing, but otherwise, I see no reason why other people's opinions on the story should affect anyone's enjoyment of the game.

Boy do they ever! "Serenes' Law" dictates that all threads must devolve into arguing about Conquest's plot.

Perhaps bitching about Conquests story should be left to threads dedicated to bitching about conquests story because there still are plenty of those.
Anyway this topic dosen't need another post that is just derailing it so I am going to talk about the children. SO initially I just did not care for any of the child unit because they where second gen, I disliked Nina a bit just because I did not like her personality gimmick. However I recently watched a playthrough of recollection of bubbles (god that name is hilarious) and I came to like alot of the children a lot more. Nina was not nearly as bad as i thought she was. Ophelia was not as hammy and I like shigure alot more as a character now. ( I can also now tolerate percy.)

And when we reach that point, the "You know, Fates' story wasn't that bad after all" comments will begin.

And the skies wept on this sad day.

If it seriously gets to the point where FE15 makes FE14 look good, I'm quitting FE. There are some games that I play only for gameplay, but FE isn't one of those games. If I can't care about the characters, then I'm going to lose my motivation.

Seriously, i love FE's gameplay to the point i'm still very much hyped for Fates despite it's story, but i have my limits. It helps that Birthright's story isn't all that bad, if that path was as bad as Conquest and Revelation then i would be way less hyped.

Saizo wasn't a character I thought I would like. His design looked boring and I thought he was just going to be some stoic ninja guy. But he's actually quite funny when he wants to be, is baddass and has good supports. Now Saizo is probably one of my favorite character in Hoshido.

SAIZO HYPE.

Yep, i too glanced over Saizo when i first saw him, didn't look like anything special at first. But he gets the badass look right.

Edited by BruceLee

Boy do they ever! "Serenes' Law" dictates that all threads must devolve into arguing about Conquest's plot.

Nah, it only happens because people choose to make it happen. It's not a problem to discuss separately but it could be avoided in like, 90% of the threads in which discussion is derailed.

And the skies wept on this sad day.

Seriously, i love FE's gameplay to the point i'm still very much hyped for Fates despite it's story, but i have my limits. It helps that Birthright's story isn't all that bad, if that path was as bad as Conquest and Revelation then i would be way less hyped.

Birthright is easily the most boring of the three routes. It's an incredibly predictable story played completely straight and happens to have one of the worst plot twists ever.

Birthright is easily the most boring of the three routes. It's an incredibly predictable story played completely straight and happens to have one of the worst plot twists ever.

Were there any actual plot twists in Birthright? I can't remember any.

Anyway I forgot to mention Selena who I expected to be just as bad as Severa but she ended up being much better.

Were there any actual plot twists in Birthright? I can't remember any.

There's an attempt at one, but it's so badly executed most people forget it's even there.

Takumi's a traitor!

And 10 seconds later it's all over and nothing comes out of that.

On topic:

- Nina was a character I fully expected to hate given the vitrolic reactions some people had against her in the Japanese version, but after playing the game I noticed that she's actually quite funny and cute, and she ended up becoming my favorite 2nd gen character.

- I also expected to hate Charlotte given her general trait, but some of her supports really made me see her in a different light. Her Kaden support in Revelation was adorable in every sense of the word.

- I also completely expected Benny to be one-note (kinda like Kellam) but he ended being one of the better written characters.

- Oboro I couldn't stand at first given how she shoves her hate for Nohr in almost every convo, but she grew on me after reading more of her supports.

- Jakob I hated at first but now I'm kinda on the fence. I hate some of his supports (like with Felicia) but love others (like Azura)

- I was hyped for Hana (Token Myrmidon Girl is my favorite archetype) at first, and while I don't hate her, she ended being a rather dull character. Ayra/Mareeta/Fir/Marisa/Mia this girl ain't.

- Azama was funny at first but now I loathe him. His support with Kagero was seriously painful to read.

- Same with Silas, who starts off as this cool dude but the more I read his supports the more I can't stand him. His support with Azura was awful in particular.

Opinion went up:

Sakura: I thought she’d be really meek and annoying, but in the end she really upholds the “quiet strength” idea. She feels like a character who faces her fears and overcomes, not to mention she clearly thinks a lot about the people she spends time with and is very loyal.

Scarlet: A previously “meh” character who really shined the story and in her supports with F!Corrin. Pity she only gets two supports and M!Corrin is a poor one.

Kagero: Least favorite ninja when she was announced due to design, the character supports really made her shine. She is thoughtful, well rounded and my fav ninja hands down. Her friendship with Orochi probably sealed the deal for me, but overall her loyalty, caring and beastly stats she had in all my runs makes her one of my favorite characters overall.

Leo: Tbh, I didn’t have much of an opinion on him one way or another before playing the game, but I really ended up liking him as he more or less treats Corrin as an adult (unlike other siblings) and takes time to explain things to them. I also feel he struggles to relate to people but still tries too in his supports, often gives second chances (which suggests to me he’s actually an idealist despite being “pragmatic”. Maybe he’s an optimistic realist? Cautious idealist? Hmm…), and his growth with Forest helped me like him too (though typically I’m not a fan of any of the kids).

Opinion went down:

Keaton: At this point my dislike for him is high enough I don’t even remember what I was excited about for him. The trash gimmick comes up way too often to the point I don’t remember anything else about his character. Except that he thinks Peiri kill animals is wrong, but they both should kill more humans.

Xander: Ugh. Was so excited for Xander’s character, both through his description and design. Instead, got an idiot who actively buries his head in the sand while blathering on about “how can anything be fair in this unfair world” as he proceeds to be unable to consider anyone other than his father at any time. I could write an essay on the frustration I have for how Xander was written. Ugh.

Azura: Really disappointed on how she was handled. She basically exists a part Deus ex machine and part exposition dump. Honestly the whole “too mysterious to tell and oooh seeeecrets” aspect of her personality throughout Conquest and Birthright made me really hope she’d secretly turn out a villain. And thus she turned out really disappointing to me when she wasn’t the true villain and manipulator of the series. At least then her character and odd inability to affect things while somehow knowing everything would have been justified. :/

Benny.

I ignored him. Not because I did not like him but more because I had Effie and did not feel like putting any effort into him. After taking the time to use him, I found him to be a wonderful tank as his defense is wonderful and his resistance was unusually high for a knight.

His supports are cute, if not sometimes one-note, but most are done in a way that does not bother me. I do relate a lot with Benny because I have severe social anxiety, making it terribly difficult to speak--nigh impossible, seemingly--to people (or do anything in public, really) and, according to my older sister, I have "resting bitch face," which does not help my issues in the least because it runs people off.

My favorite pairing for Benny would have to be Oboro, simply because of these lines.

Oboro: Oh, Benny... Look at you. You're a mess! You're shaking like a leaf. Are you that scared I'll say no?

Benny: N-no, um...

Oboro: ...Because I won't. I'd never reject you.

Those particular lines really resonate with me due to years of bullying, awkwardness and loneliness; that is legit how I feel when speaking to another person. I feel like they'll see something wrong in me somewhere and reject me because of it. The fact that Oboro was one of the few characters that wasn't repelled by Benny's presence at first sight makes it one of those pairings that it is hard for me to deviate from when playing through Revelation.

I'm sorry, Takumi/Oboro Shippers. I would marry Oboro to Takumi but, combined with the above, my Takumi is too busy in a four way deadlock with Ryoma, Xander and Saizou over the hand of KILLager.

"Serenes Law" could be avoided if we could just leave out our opinions on Conquest's story and what we hated about it out of each and every Fates thread. With how many times we hate on the Conquest you would think this ( https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6829556/1/My-Immortal)is a better written story than Conquest.

Edited by Tolvir

To keep us on topic, there is one character who had a stronger impact on me than her original story presence.

[spoiler=Revelation Spoiler]

I thought Mikoto as just a throw-away character for some added emotional drama (mostly birthright) but I quite enjoyed her (small) role in Revelation. Unlike Arete and Sumeragi which you barely know anything about, Mikoto is someone you met before which heightens the emotional impact of fighting her as Anankos' puppet. Her story is quite tragic and it's a shame she couldn't stick around longer.

"Serenes Law" could be avoided if we could just leave out our opinions on Conquest's story and what we hated about it out of each and every Fates thread. With how many times we hate on the Conquest you would think this ( https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6829556/1/My-Immortal)is a better written story than Conquest.

There is a certain irony in discussing thread derails while making off-topic conversation.

My Immortal is basically a crack-fic and falls heavily into "so bad it's good" territory. While Fates story is bad and fun to snark about, it's clear they wanted to make it a good story.

To keep us on topic, there is one character who had a stronger impact on me than her original story presence.

[spoiler=Revelation Spoiler]

I thought Mikoto as just a throw-away character for some added emotional drama (mostly birthright) but I quite enjoyed her (small) role in Revelation. Unlike Arete and Sumeragi which you barely know anything about, Mikoto is someone you met before which heightens the emotional impact of fighting her as Anankos' puppet. Her story is quite tragic and it's a shame she couldn't stick around longer.

There is a certain irony in discussing thread derails while making off-topic conversation.

My Immortal is basically a crack-fic and falls heavily into "so bad it's good" territory. While Fates story is bad and fun to snark about, it's clear they wanted to make it a good story.

Well, you got me there. That was quite Ironic.

I just wanted a way to fit My Immortal in there. I have a thing for the horrible B - F level movies and stories because they make great comedies, like Nazis at the center of the Earth, or anything by Asylum Studios really.

I actually wish we got more information on Mikoto, her sister, and really more of Valla. I would buy a DLC that was based upon Mikoto and why she went to Hoshido. I was worried about her being another Emmeryn situation, but she actually had an emotional impact when she died. I was hopeful for a Jedi ghost type situation in Revelation, and was hoping her spirit was there to try and guide Corrin the rest of the way, and I have to give them credit for throwing a few curveballs in there that I wasnt expecting.

Edited by Tolvir

I'll take "predictable" over "frustratingly bad" any day.

Ever since I first saw Kaze, I knew I'd like him. I just didn't know he'd turn out to be an absolute dreamboat <3 Same goes for Hinata.

For Elise, I though I'd be neutral, since I don't care much for the cutesy-bubbly archetype, but I was suprised to see how kind and mature she can be, especially after she helps Sakura when she sees how much she's suffering after chp. 23.

Charlotte ended up not being as annoying as I thought she'd be, and some of her supports are actually quite amusing.

When I played the game during the Japanese release I forgot Benny existed, but then I started reading his supports and he's easily one of my faves as well. I especially like pairing him with Camilla.

I also thought Mitama wasn't anything special when she was revealed, but I like some of her supports and she's crazy good with Effie as her mother. I also like her dynamic with her father. She along with Kagero, Siegbert and Shigure get extra points for being artists. I suppose Forrest fits in with that too, huh?

For the not so favorable opinions, top honors go to Oboro. I was already unimpressed with her design and character bio. I expected the writers to be a bit more careful in how they handeled her vendetta against Nohr, but all of her supports with Nohrians gross me out in some way (as I explained in the bad supports topic) and they're repetative as hell. I especially can't take her plight seriously with her "Nohr-Hater" face since it comes off as a comical way to "lighten" up the supports and not make her ridiculous attitude seems too harsh, but it does anyway. I also felt confused when people started claiming her use of derogatory language and threats was acceptable, when it wasn't for other Hoshidans, who have suffered just as much as she has. Long story short, benched on every playthrough :/

Also, I like Jakob and Silas design-wise, but not so much personality-wise. They're pretty mean for no good reason.

Bolded, yes, and a lot more than it should. (hell, ive seen threads not even about Fates get derailed by someone whinging about Fates' story)

OMG i forgot to mention Ignatius in my summary! Like, i was all about this kid to begin with because i love Benny and his kid looked great. His personality is so dull that i cannot even be arsed to get him anymore. : ( I still like him, but not enough to go out of my way to get him.

I'll take "predictable" over "frustratingly bad" any day.

Good thing neither Conquest nor Revelation fall into either of those categories.

But hey, it's just my opinion after actually playing through all three routes, so what do I know?

Good thing neither Conquest nor Revelation fall into either of those categories.

But hey, it's just my opinion after actually playing through all three routes, so what do I know?

You know nothing, Jave Snow.

You know nothing, Jave Snow.

Too soon. I'm still feelin the pain here.

I believe I forgot to mention, but I think my opinion of Felicia went from "loathe" to "neutral." Her voice change probably helped a lot.

Too soon. I'm still feelin the pain here.

I believe I forgot to mention, but I think my opinion of Felicia went from "loathe" to "neutral." Her voice change probably helped a lot.

Hope y'all don't mind me channeling my teenage self when I say that Felicia's voice is epic. One of the major reasons I adore that character.