Least Favorite Things About Your Favorite Fire Emblem

Please hide major plot spoilers behind a tag.

Title: Path of Radiance

-The game is still fairly easy, even on the highest difficulty.

-The battle screen does not show damage, hit rate, or crit rate. Why??

-The overall gameplay is rather slow.

-The map animations do not help this fact.

-Watching other units fight takes way too long do to a lack of speeding up their turn.

-Effective weapons are very underwhelming in this game.

-Wind, Thunder, and Fire have their own weapon rank. This makes magic a pain in the ass to level up.

-Wind magic sucks

-The Black Knight ambush spawn on chapter 11 is kind of bullshit because there wasn't a clear indication he is there. You see he is on the map, sure. But not too much info that he will join the fight and attack on the same turn.

-Sothe can't promote in this game, it makes sense on why. But it makes him a bit worse than Volke.

-If you can't recruit Astrid on the first turn, she will probably die.

-Norris moves on turn 8.... If I recall correctly, there isn't any warning of him about to move?

-Some of the recruitment conditions are cryptic. Steffan being the worse.

-I would have probably killed Taureneo if I didn't almost try to fight him with Ike.

-Chapter 23

-Lucia and Bastion are kind of bad. Especially Bastion. This makes me sad.

-Elincia, my favorite Pegasus Knight in the series, starts out at a very low level.

-Completing chapter 27 only to find out there is a part 2 of the map. And fucking up the 2nd part and dying, makes you restart the whole chapter.

-Only 6 characters can damage the final boss. You only get 3 of them. And none of them are Elincia.

-And most important to me: The English version didn't get maniac mode

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiant Dawn: I don't like a lot of the character endings or the ending in general. The image of PoR Ike from behind that reminds us of his legacy is the only thing I really like about it. Ike leaving forever made no sense to me, Mist remaining alone unless she has an A support with Boyd made no sense to me, Gatrie finding a lot of women but never getting married made no sense to me, and so on. And this game dropped the ball big time on paired endings. So many characters, but just a handful of possible pairings, especially after the GBA games gave multiple options to several characters. Where are pairs like Rolf x Mist, Kieran x Marcia, Aran x Laura, and most notably of all, Ike x Elincia? Hell, Ike and Elincia don't even need to have a romance, a platonic ending would've been nice enough. Especially after NoA pulled what they did with PoR and inflated Ike x Elincia hinting while dropping a lot of it in RD, causing confusion and weirdness regarding their relationship. Also, RD's support system sucks and this hurt the new characters because they didn't get support convos to flesh them out more. Lastly, Micaiah. Screw her. And unfortunately, I thought she had potential to be a great character.

Edited by Anacybele

[spoiler=Path of Radiance]The Black Knight coming out and one-shotting my troops during Chapter 11. That's probably just poor planning on my part, but I still don't like it.

Ike has Ragnell in his possession since Chapter 8, but won't use it until Chapter 27?

...That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by Power Master

Binding Blade:

• The unit balance is horrible. A huge chunk of your army is entirely useless compared to a select few demigods.
  • Certain maps are pretty annoying, and not in a good way.
  • A support point limit in maps? Really?
  • All chapters are Seize. Except some trial map stuff.
  • ...Remind me, why does the Binding Blade have only 20 uses? All the legendary weapons for that matter, but I can understand limiting those for gameplay reasons. But plotwise... You'd think the solution to the endless war dragons would be made of sturdier stuff. And Roy needs that thing to do anything by the time he gets it so...
  • Speaking of Roy, he promotes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late >~>
That's all off the top of my head.

RD

-no supports, though with a huge cast and script I can understand why it still was disappointing

-Dawn Brigade is underdeveloped and outclassed by GMs

-Micaiah in Part 4, I hate when people call her a Mary Sue but in part 4 she really pushes it

-Part 4 in general always struck me as losing steam after so much build up in the story, until you get to the Tower of Guidance

-Ike leaving in the ending

-Pelleas and especially Sephiran recruitment

-the blood pact doesn't bother me as much as some people but I admit there could've been something better

Being required to bring certain non-lord units to endgame. (if you want the best ending)

Prf staves are dumb

Lots are units are useless unless you stockpile/save your resources in just the right way

The game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow

uh

that's what I can think of for now

Ooh, what a fun topic! I get to be both positive and negative all at the same time!

Fire Emblem: Awakening:

Fragmented plot.

Limited character development to those who needed it - Walhart could've been really interesting (and still is to a degree; there's just something about him I like), and Emmeryn comes across as a kind of Mary Sue.

A few too many characters are too gimmicky, even though I think this is a vastly exaggerated problem with the game.

Lack of feet.

Grima and Validar put me to sleep, although in the game's defense, I have yet to find a major villain in this series I care even remotely about other than Lyon, and they're still more competent than Nergal, Ashnard and Garon.

Galeforce Emblem!

Thracia 776 is my favorite Fire Emblem game, and yet....

• You cannot rearrange your units during chapter preparations (this especially becomes a nuisance if your units are split across the map)
  • The growths of some characters in this game (scrolls can fix some characters like Marty, but still....)
  • The severe lack of foot-based lance users (All mounted ones can't use them when dismounted, Dalsin starts with E-rank on lances when promoted, Xavier starts with E-Rank with them)
  • ...which brings me to my next point: dismounting shouldn't cause drastic switches in weapon usability
  • Disappointing final boss, especially considering how the rest of the final chapter is
  • Chapter 4x can go die in a fire
  • Weapon triangle might as well not exist due to how weak the effects are
  • All non-HP stats cap at 20
Edited by BLS

-The forced tutorial

-the support system

-locking you out of difficultly settings

-Stave and seize tome uses I think they should've been at least five for staves and about 10 for seize tome but this is so much a problem with FE 7 as the whole series. I'll never forget how much fun it was a blessing a seize tome in end game Radiant Dawn.

- and on that note to hit rate of silence staves on mages is just stupid I can't hit the people I actually want to hit it with.

-Jemre's version of Pale Flower of Darkess, so bloody sloooowwww.

-The characters of Lowen and Merlinus hate both of them, though I do like them as units.

-The warrior class though this is not specific to FE 7.

This is really hard for me since I REALLY like both Thracia 776 AND Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Conquest wins (slightly) over Thracia 776 due to better gameplay, but I'll talk about both.

Thracia 776:

1.) Chapter 4x (I totally agree with you there BLS)

2.) lack of a proper preparation screen

3.) status staves

4.) lack of 100% hit (just, WHY?)

5.) boring final boss, even though taking out the dead lords was awesome.

6.) lackluster soundtrack (when compared to FE4).

7.) FOW was really, really poorly implemented; FE6-8 did it right.

Fates: Conquest

1.) VERY DISAPPOINTING STORY, ESPECIALLY IN THE FACE OF SO MUCH POTENTIAL. UGH.

2.) Lacks the traditional "old school Fire Emblem art style" from the Jugdral Saga.

3.) Odin, Laslow, and Selena (I wanted new characters).

4.) Camilla (fanservice)

5.) lack of weapon icons (that bugs me SO MUCH).

6.) no "real" dark magic. On that note, Nohrian magic was boring as heck. Where are my Elwind, Elthunder, and Elfire spells?!

7.) no FOW, and no berserk staff.

Edited by Leif

Basic Bitch Emblem (literally, SD and NM are really bare bones)

Mounted Emblem (So many flyers/cavaliers)

Least Favorite Reclass system in the entire series

Most unfair difficulty mode

Certain effective weapons are locked to build *cough*Hammer*cough*

Mysogeny

My favourite FE is Blazing Sword.

I loooooove it.

That said, the fact that I only need to use like, 4 units to win the game kinda nukes the fun, especially when there are so many cool character designs.... that just simply suck when it comes to battle! So all those cool people get benched harder than me trying to be good at sports

"But Sarcopathic, you could improve'em by grinding"

LOL. NO. FREAKING. WAY.

My enjoyment of a game dies once grinding becomes a mechanic.

INB4 "Then you should not play FE, you filthy casual"

- Ike is main character rather than Elincia

- Ike carries the Ragnell from the end of Chapter 6 to Chapter 27 without using it

- Very easy

- Can only use three characters on the final boss

- Doesn't have Radiant Dawn's DMG/HIT/CRIT box between HP values

- Recruiting Stefan is stupidly cryptic

- Magic is separated into Fire/Wind/Thunder/Light, rather than just all under Tome

- Callil and Bastian come able to use knives rather than staves

FE12-

Chapters 3 and 20x

Unit balance is lol

Shinpichu's complaint of being forced to bring certain units to endgame for the best ending applies here as well

No Cain/Abel or Caeda/Ogma supports (I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting that I wish were there)

Blazing Sword

-Unpromoted enemy units are common even in late game

-Eliwood should have been a Lance lord to fuffill the entire weapon triangle

- Map design is inferior to the prequel

Edited by Zerxen

I consider my top 5 FE games near equal, so I'll bitch about all 5 of them

FE 7

16xx requirements

Night of Farewells

Ninian's revival

Fates Conquest

Some of the map gimmicks are bullshit

Azura is in it, and I hate her

While I very much enjoyed Conquest's story, I feel it had a lot of wasted potential

FE6

THOSE FUCKING GAIDEN CHAPTERS

Unit balance is bad

FE3

The early game is bullshit

Chapter 4 onward is way to easy

FUCK CHAPTER 11

FE2

Really dated

mandatory grinding

poor map design