No More Atlus Games Will be Published to Europe

MJThom_2009

tl;dr NIS Publishers won't be publishing ATLUS games.

That's not to say that someone else won't pick up the label, of course.

I guess there's still time to think if I'm buying a PS3/PS4 this year. P5 and KH3 are all solid reasons for that, and I guess trying out FF15 can't hurt even if I've never touched FF13-14.

FF15 has no connection to those games outside of the obvious; FFVS13 shared the basic mythos with them, but that's been scrapped.

Anyways, it's not quite as bad is it sounds. As mentioned above, it's only NIS that won't publish for them anymore; they may be able to pick up another publisher.

Quick question: why is it usually Europe that has these issues? Do people here simply not play enough games, or what? I realize they might find someone else to publish their games, but why is it an issue in the first place, and how come Europe tends to get a lot of games after the rest of the world?

Quick question: why is it usually Europe that has these issues? Do people here simply not play enough games, or what? I realize they might find someone else to publish their games, but why is it an issue in the first place, and how come Europe tends to get a lot of games after the rest of the world?

There's a ton of different countries, each with it's own little rules and not-so-little language; the European "continent" itself is comparable in size to the USA, yet there's so much more in it.

I just hope someone else picks up the mantle because Europe likes their ATLUS stuff too!

Dam....another instance of Europe getting the short end of the gaming stick.

I know, right?

Someone throw them a bone, please! Stuff just seems to difficult when it comes to getting stuff over there! Why?!

There's a ton of different countries, each with it's own little rules and not-so-little language; the European "continent" itself is comparable in size to the USA, yet there's so much more in it.

In other words, it's a lot more expensive to localize games to Europe due to the various languages and cultures? That would make sense, since English is the common language in NA, making localization for that half of America much less of a hassle.

They have to effectively localize the game in a huge variety of languages, most games in that region have a language choice when you first boot up a game for instance, they have to make sure everyone is accounted for, and its a fairly expensive process.

Edited by Jedi

They have to effectively localize the game in a huge variety of languages, most games in that region have a language choice when you first boot up a game for instance, they have to make sure everyone is accounted for, and its a fairly expensive process.

Not really. If you translate a game to english/french/german/spanish/russian, you catch the big part of the European market. Hell, if you just release in English, you're looking at an audience of about 200million people.

That automatically means, no Persona 5 for me!?

Edit I: Thankfully it'll be released for the PS3 and not for a Nintendo console, so importing a NA copy should work too... I hope.

Edit II: Atlus is my favorite VG developer. It produces so many great franchises (SMT with the Persona and Devil Survivor spin-offs especially, Etrian Odyssey, Danganronpa and lately Stella Glow)

Yeah, I'm really sad and pissed at the same time.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Not really. If you translate a game to english/french/german/spanish/russian, you catch the big part of the European market.

That's still 5 times as much work as a US localization (although you might be able to reuse some elements of the american localization.)

That being said, i'm surprised they don't just go english only. Atlus games tend to be the kind of thing where plenty of people will still buy it to play in a second language.

Edited by sirmola