The Official Ultima Super Battle Cruise Fortress Topic Deluxe!

Metal Rabbit

• Replies 44.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Metal Rabbit

• Masu

• noremaC

• Liz

This is a bad reason, but It gets big bias points for having twinneedle, a move that I loved the crap out of in Gen I. Having said that, it becomes useless pretty early on, and I think Jolteon leans twinneedle in Yellow. Statwise, a beedrill can be decent up to about the fourth gym if you really put the effort in, but there are just better pokemon for it. So I'd say 3/10

Dunno about you guys, but I felt Beedrill was alright till the Elite four at least. Teach it Aerial Ace if you want more variety. Its pretty decent, especially with twin-needle.

Ehhh, I'd personally say that it'd be a waste knowing that Beedrill NEEDS TMs to get anything even half decent....

This is a bad reason, but It gets big bias points for having twinneedle, a move that I loved the crap out of in Gen I. Having said that, it becomes useless pretty early on, and I think Jolteon leans twinneedle in Yellow. Statwise, a beedrill can be decent up to about the fourth gym if you really put the effort in, but there are just better pokemon for it. So I'd say 3/10

Actually, Twineedle was exclusive to Beedrill until Generation 5. Jolteon got Pin Missile... which was pretty useless between multi-hit unreliability, Jolteon's poor attack stat, and imperfect accuracy.

Pin Missile was the best way to hit Psychics for super effective damage in Gen.1 though.

Even though the best way to beat them was to throw an opposing Psychic at them and use non-Psychic attacks.

Imbalance thy name is Gen.1.

Pin Missile was the best way to hit Psychics for super effective damage in Gen.1 though.

Even though the best way to beat them was to throw an opposing Psychic at them and use non-Psychic attacks.

Thunderpunch/Icepunch/Firepunch/Psychic Alakazam gogogogo!

Also, interesting tidbit, in Gen 2, Twinneedle could poison Steel types.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

True, though the only Pokemon who got it back in Gen 1 were Beedrill, which would fold like a cheap suit once hit by a psychic attack, and Jolteon, which had a pretty poor attack stat.

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no WURMPLE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around 10 PM CST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile all as one pokemon.

- Pokemon that evolve through trades are accounted for.

- A Pokemon's performance is to be judged by the game they are most prominent in (Example: Zangoose is to be judged by Pokemon Ruby standards.).

Poochyena/Mightyena: 3.95

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile: 8.36

Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken: 9.00

Mudkip/Marshstomp/Swampert: 9.77

I forgot to rate Poochyena/Mightyena, silly me. :P

Anyways, HM SLAVE/10.

Solid HM slave. Between it and Wingull's family, you get every HM except for Dive and Waterfall, both of which come late enough for a replacement to join. It's a good thing it has HM utility, because its combat is worse than Mightyenas (who had 90/60/70). Linoone's got (70/50/100). HM slaves are like FE Theives. Lol combat, but sweet utility.

6/10 - More useful lategame than earlygame. Cut isn't a requirement and Flash is optional, so you're not going to need it until you beat Wattson. The earlygame also isn't kind to it in terms of combat (Rock and Fighting both say LOL to Normal types). It can be replaced (albeit not as efficiently).

Zigzagoon can be caught really early, and despite lackluster stats it has a very strong STAB move in Headbutt, which it learns at LV9. It's really good and helps it a lot, but it ends up being the crux of its offense all the way until Slash at LV41, which... oh, has the exact same power. Well.

In terms of offense, Linoone's groan-inducing natural moveset and bleh stats (aside from its Spd, which is actually quite nice) hold it back from greatness. While far from optimal, it actually is pretty usable; or at least more so than Mightyena. It gets STAB off of common TM moves like Hyper Beam, Facade, and Strength, so it may be worth investing them on Linoone if you're using it frequently. Let's not forget its general versatility in off-the-wall moves like Shock Wave, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Surf, offering good type coverage even if Linoone's terrible Sp Atk offers little room to use them at max efficiency. It's definitely worth more combat-wise than Furret or Bibarel.

Mentioning Strength (which is actually an HM, silly me), Zigzagoon/Linoone's most useful purpose is in pure utility; that is, as an HM slave. Need someone to throw those annoying boulders around in Victory Road? Linoone's your guy. Don't want to waste Rock Smash on your precious Marshtomp? Linoone can learn it and punch rocks Schwarzenegger-style like nobody's business. Even need a loyal surfboard to exploit up and down the Hoenn coastline? Linoone won't like it, but he's a cool bro so he'll totally do it. Cut, Surf, Strength, and Rock Smash, the game's four most prominent TMs (well, perhaps Cut isn't that big a deal), can all be learned by it. It can't get Flash, Dive or Waterfall, but Flash isn't even essential, and since you need it out at sea it's not that hard to catch something for Dive or Waterfall if you don't want your Water-type learning it (actually, Dive would be nicer on Linoone since a Water-type will like Surf, making that HM unnecessary). Linoone's not great, but it can become a core of a rotating team in its own special way, especially since it's around pretty much forever, and I consider that important.

7.5/10 (may think about lowering this)

Edited by Cosmic_Harold

Solid HM slave. Between it and Wingull's family, you get every HM except for Dive and Waterfall, both of which come late enough for a replacement to join. It's a good thing it has HM utility, because its combat is worse than Mightyenas (who had 90/60/70). Linoone's got (70/50/100). HM slaves are like FE Theives. Lol combat, but sweet utility.

6/10 - More useful lategame than earlygame. Cut isn't a requirement and Flash is optional, so you're not going to need it until you beat Wattson. The earlygame also isn't kind to it in terms of combat (Rock and Fighting both say LOL to Normal types). It can be replaced (albeit not as efficiently).

You gotta admit though, Zigzagoon's easier to raise than Poochyena is, considering it gets STAB Headbutt at level 9...

That being said... 6/10. Good HM slave, and it also has Pickup.

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no CATERPIE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around 10 PM EST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur all as one pokemon.

Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill: 2.44

Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree: 5.21

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard: 7.80

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur: 8.25

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise: 9.36

Pidgey! I love this guy. He's outclassed entirely by Fearow because he never learns Drill Peck, and is weaker, slower and doesn't reach its final evolution until later. Normal and Flying are also not very great STABs. He has his glorious moment against Erika, and is only ever really average after that. 4/10 + 1 bias is 5/10

Edited by BigBangMeteor

Not sure how that rate doesn't count as "Comparing Pokemon"...

Pidgey's pretty cool. It's a shame it doesn't start with a flying type move, because with it it would make leveling it so much easier come Viridian Forest. Combat wise its pretty mediocre with 80/70/91 offenses, and its movepool does it no favors with consisting of pretty much only Normal and Flying moves. It does have Fly utility though, but due to the layout of Kanto, Fly is only really useful at getting to Blaine's gym through the easier Pallet Town route.

4/10

Let's see...

First it gets weak to rocks, thunder, and ice. It does have good speed making Double Team good to have and not having to EV train it in Speed. Okay Flyer type, but Starraptor, and Fearow far outclass it by a long shot.

5/10

Edited by アイネ

Pidgey... is merely okay. It takes a while to evolve, which is quite bad when you're a bad Norm/Flying type. It's not even that good against gyms, only doing good against Erika. But, it is available for a long, long time, so it gets...

4.5/10, +.5 bias for being my first ever Lv. 100.

Alright, another one of those differing version things!

Zigzagoon is pretty bad at combat, what with its terrible Attack. But, it's the only Pokemon in Hoenn with Pickup, and in Ruby/Sapphire, Pickup is amazing. Super Potions, Ultra Balls, Revives, Nuggets, Rare Candies... if you keep one around, you're bound to get many of these because it's a 10% shot after every battle. You might even get a couple of PP Ups and a King's Rock! And all of this at the beginning of the game?! Not bad for a Pokemon that doesn't even have to enter combat! Catch a couple near Fortree if you want them updated a bit. Oh, and it makes an excellent HM slave too. Don't ever have a blank spot in your party, stuff one of these guys in it. It's worth it.

And you know what else comes with money? Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Psychic TMs, from the Game Corner. Not only does it buff your item stash, it directly contributes to your other teammates by making them more powerful. Oh, and I guess you could count vitamins, too. You can get Proteins directly from it, too.

In Emerald, it got nerfed, hard. It's much rarer, and Pickup got nerfed even harder, actually requiring Zigzagoon to level up to get good stuff. It still gets Potions and such, though.

Oh yeah, Linoone is half-decent, but nothing special. Not really worth getting Ziggy to 20 for.

In Ruby/Sapphire, 10/10 for sheer utility. I am dead serious. Emerald gets a 5/10, due to the loot being much worse, along with its relative scarcity.

Edited by Venusaur

One of the Pokemon that I would absolutely recommend. Gets the utmost best ability Pick up which you can make alot of money off of and it doesn't lose it's ability if evolved like Phanphy would. Gets good HP stats along with only being weak to fighting type moves makes it also great to use in the battle arena.

Let's see...

First it gets weak to rocks, thunder, and ice. It does have good speed making Double Team good to have and not having to EV train it in Speed. Okay Flyer type, but Starraptor, and Fearow far outclass it by a long shot.

5/10

This is Fire Red/Leaf Green. Staraptor doesn't exist.

As much as I love the bird, he is pretty much average, never gets a real chance to shine. If there were was a proper fighting gym as well as the grass gym, he'd probably get higher.

55% from me.