Robin V Corrin

TheWerdna

164 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer in terms of character?

• Corrin
    • Robin
  2. 2. Which do you prefer in terms of gameplay?

• Corrin
    • Robin

I like Robin better as both an avatar and a unit. I'm sure most people who've read anything I've posted about Kamui know how I feel about them as a character, and my Robins always felt more powerful than any of my Kamuis.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Robin better as both an avatar and a unit. I'm sure most people who've read anything I've posted about Kamui know how I feel about them as a character, and my Robins always felt more powerful than any of my Kamuis.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that Robin is more powerful than Corrin as a unit. It seems the split is whether people think that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Conquest Corrin manage to top Sigurd and Chrome as the dumbest lord in the series. Except he manage to top it off by being delusional.

And the game clearly want the player to think Corrin is in the right lmao.

Cornbread annoys me. I'm not big on Robin either, but they don't directly piss me off so they win by virtue of that.

As a unit I like overkill and breaking things in half :B

Cornbread annoys me. I'm not big on Robin either, but they don't directly piss me off so they win by virtue of that.

As a unit I like overkill and breaking things in half :B

A trademark of all Lobster Knights. :lol: :lol:

I think pretty much everyone agrees that Robin is more powerful than Corrin as a unit. It seems the split is whether people think that is a good thing or a bad thing.

In my definition, more powerful as a unit = better. Whether it's balanced or not is a different question. Besides, I like Robin's magic while Kamui's dragonstone and dragonstone limitations are just stupid. And Robin has a better design.

Robin def. Making the avatar a main character is a bad idea, especially when they're a fucking dumbass pussy who can't tell his siblings that their daddy is a big slime monster until he's killed just about everyone in Hoshido, when he could have done it much earlier.

As a character? Robin.

Robin, while not very complex, at least still has multiple facets to his/her personality. Serious, caring, smart, silly, angry, etc., although it's mostly shown in the supports. Still, even in the main story, Robin is clearly shown to be able to have his/her own opinions on matters and actually use his/her head to great effect. The hero worship is present, yes, but it doesn't go to the extremes present in Fates. Also, bonus points for not being the chosen one of whatever.

We have three Corrins, all very b(l)a(n)d. We have the intolerable hostile Birthright Corrin, the angsty Conquest Corrin, and worst of all, the power of friendship and love Revelation Corrin. No personality to speak of, special in every way, too much hero worship and somehow EVERYTHING in all three games hinges on someone who is just a FOLLOWER! Also, what's with being part dragon when it has no bearing on the plot whatsoever? Actual cutscenes for the dragon but it NEVER shows up again. UGH! I could go on and on, but we've all heard everything wrong with Corrin already. Robin isn't great, but compared to Corrin s/he might as well be the best written character of all time...

Hey, maybe we could switch Robin with Corrin! Robin in Fates and Corrin in Awakening? Would the stories be different or improve in any way?

Gameplay? About equal. Corrin is more balanced, but every attack s/he makes looks utterly ridiculous. Robin at least attacks like someone normal.

Hey, maybe we could switch Robin with Corrin! Robin in Fates and Corrin in Awakening? Would the stories be different or improve in any way?

Fates!Robin, regardless of the path they chose, would come out of either Nohr or Hoshido with an intelligent, thought-out plan and all enemy siblings alive, perhaps even the non-royal other route playable characters like Charlotte and Orochi, too. Robin is just that good, and they would do it too without the idiotic "I'm so pure and kindly that I go through battles without killing entire armies". Also, third path? What third path? Robin would just destroy the big bad of the third path in Hoshido and Nohr. They are just that good.

Awakening!Kamui would cry and cling to Chrom whenever anything bad happened and somehow make Chrom's difficult situation all about them.

As a character? Robin.

Robin, while not very complex, at least still has multiple facets to his/her personality. Serious, caring, smart, silly, angry, etc., although it's mostly shown in the supports. Still, even in the main story, Robin is clearly shown to be able to have his/her own opinions on matters and actually use his/her head to great effect. The hero worship is present, yes, but it doesn't go to the extremes present in Fates. Also, bonus points for not being the chosen one of whatever.

We have three Corrins, all very b(l)a(n)d. We have the intolerable hostile Birthright Corrin, the angsty Conquest Corrin, and worst of all, the power of friendship and love Revelation Corrin. No personality to speak of, special in every way, too much hero worship and somehow EVERYTHING in all three games hinges on someone who is just a FOLLOWER! Also, what's with being part dragon when it has no bearing on the plot whatsoever? Actual cutscenes for the dragon but it NEVER shows up again. UGH! I could go on and on, but we've all heard everything wrong with Corrin already. Robin isn't great, but compared to Corrin s/he might as well be the best written character of all time...

Gameplay? About equal. Corrin is more balanced, but every attack s/he makes looks utterly ridiculous. Robin at least attacks like someone normal.

I'm the weirdo who will defend Conquests, knowing that it has many flaws, but it gets points from me for trying something different, even though it drops the ball at times.

Revelations gets no such love from me. I really lived the first half, though it could be cheesy, it fixed a lot of the problems with Conquests. Xander notices Garon has lost his mind and defects? Where was this in Conquests?

Then Valla happens. Oh Corrin, you make terrible decisions and shouldn't trust people so blindly, but don't worry, because your big brothers will always be here to bail you out. Don't ever learn change.

Unlike the general sentiment here, I don't hate Corrin, or even dislike him. That being said, Robin is definitely a much better character.
​
​The thing is Robin failed once. His plan to save Emmryn (what's spelling?) failed miserably. The thing is, he learned from his mistakes. Corrin, on the other hand, never got the chance to learn from his mistakes as the plot never really recognizes when he makes mistakes. Corrin's not stupid, he's just really, really naïve. This hurts Corrin's character a lot.

Gameplay wise, Robin is broken. The only unit that surpases Robin in sheer power is Morgan, and even then that's debatable. While Corrin is powerful, he's not broken like Robin is, which honestly, despite the fact that I take extreme please in steamrolling the enemy, is a good thing.

Awakening!Kamui would cry and cling to Chrom whenever anything bad happened and somehow make Chrom's difficult situation all about them.

I think Corrin would play out similar to his Birthright counterpart. That is, have the plan be kill everything. He'd fit right in.​

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

In terms of character, it's not even close. Seeing how badly Corrin is written has actually made me somewhat appreciate Robin when I cared little for him before.

At least Robin was a character that was allowed to grow. He learns to face everything regarding his life, from his satanist dad, to the fact that he's basically the Antichrist. He had to face everything and had to grow from it.

Corrin on the other hand is the opposite. He never grows at all, partly from his own naivete (which is no excuse since other protagonists like Marth were also naive but had to learn), partly from his overbearing brothers, and partly because of the game.

Seriously, the game outright keeps Corrin from learning the harsh truth about Anankos and Lilith, something that could have lead to some interesting drama and perhaps character development. Instead, Corrin is deprived of that. Xander and Ryoma are both moronic brothers, basically saying that Corrin is free to make as many mistakes as he pleases because they'll clean them up for him.

​The thing is Robin failed once. His plan to save Emmryn (what's spelling?) failed miserably. The thing is, he learned from his mistakes. Corrin, on the other hand, never got the chance to learn from his mistakes as the plot never really recognizes when he makes mistakes. Corrin's not stupid, he's just really, really naïve. This hurts Corrin's character a lot.

Maybe this is just me, but I really don't see how Robin failing to save Emmeryn is a 'mistake' on his part considering that there was pretty much no option for success, especially considering that the main reason the plan failed was because of something that was literally impossible to account for i.e. Philia and the other Pegasus Knights are ready to make the save? To bad! Aversa summons a group of archers out of nowhere like the worst kind of Killer DM declaring 'rock falls, everyone dies' as soon as they get outsmarted by the PCs.

Edited by Phillius

I don't find Robin or Corrin remotely likable in the context of the stories, supports somewhat, stories, not at all, but they are still better than Kris at least.

Maybe this is just me, but I really don't see how Robin failing to save Emmeryn is a 'mistake' on his part considering that there was pretty much no option for success, especially considering that the main reason the plan failed was because of something that was literally impossible to account for i.e. Philia and the other Pegasus Knights are ready to make the save? To bad! Aversa summons a group of archers out of nowhere like the worst kind of Killer DM declaring 'rock falls, everyone dies' as soon as they get outsmarted by the PCs.

Yeah, I think "failure" would be a better term there.

One thing I've been thinking about between Robin and Corrin is their focus on minimizing casualties. It's a way to reflect how players play the game and it's a good mentality in general. But it was so damn overbearing with Corrin, saving this person and not killing this person and never growing up from this childish mentality. Robin does show some hesitation and unconfidence during Awakening but keeps it hidden and doesn't let it bog him down every five seconds. In fact, you could even call Robin ruthless considering the actions they do (and judging from M!Robin/Walhart support, it doesn't go unnoticed).

In fact, you could even call Robin ruthless considering the actions they do (and judging from M!Robin/Walhart support, it doesn't go unnoticed).

The charred corpses of the Valmese Navy agree with you that Robin can be ruthless.

The charred corpses of the Valmese Navy agree with you that Robin can be ruthless.

If it were Corrin, they'd all just faint and be saved by mermaids - who'd all later want to bang Corrin.

They'd also be related to him.

I'm genuinely curious to see how Robin being the protagonist of Conquest would change things. I think he'd be actively planning Garon's demise instead of just waiting for stuff to happen. Surely Ganz at least would be dead before the half-way point.

If it were Corrin, they'd all just faint and be saved by mermaids - who'd all later want to bang Corrin.

Kamui was actually just adopted by Mikoto and his real, REAL mother is the Queen of Atlantis.

Kamui is a water dragon. My theory is supported by canon.

Edited by NekoKnight

Corrin also has no reason to lead their army-- as there are several people much more capable and experienced in the group, and I believe outside of say... Ike, this is the first time we're dealing with a "lord" that has NO reason leading the army (yes, in PoR, it should have been Titania).

This really did bother me to no end through birthright and conquest. Corrin has no qualifications, nor a convincing enough character to lead an army outside of specifically being told by Good Guy Garon to 'lead those forces'. I was busy wondering why isn't Ryoma, or Xander taking over when they hit the scene in birthright/conquest.

I really don't want to start ranting about this, but I'd rather see characters rally around the mary sue strategist rather than a bunch of idiots coddling someone who is somewhat inept, and even say at one point that they're there to fix corrin's mistakes. Seriously?! After 3 paths of Corrin, seeing that statement was equal parts funny and sad. Almost like the characters are aware of Corrin's often poor judgement, and general ignorance, but we're gonna let Corrin run things anyway because he/she is special!

Sounds about right.

Anyway, never cared for Corrin's bright-eyed babe-to-the-world character. Robin with amnesia is better adjusted than Corrin. The story didn't make Corrin feel like the intended 'Lord' of this game through their actions, or demeanor. Just a plot device with the title. Has a nice cloak though.

In story gameplay, Robin was the strategist. The story reminded the player that's their job, and they're good at it. Also, F!robin + chrom was my favorite pairing because of actual story impact reasons (shipping characters in fates for the most part just felt like a formality. That really hit home when I paired Azura with Niles. Ugh that S rank support may as well not even be there).

Despite that, I gave my vote to corrin, though it's more on fate's better adjusted combat gameplay/reclassing system than any specific merit of corrin's.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

Well at least Corrin is the actual MC, as opposed to Robin and Kris who steal their Lords respective spotlights. -shrugs-

Well at least Corrin is the actual MC, as opposed to Robin and Kris who steal their Lords respective spotlights. -shrugs-

Glad you added that shrug, otherwise you wouldn't have seemed nearly casual enough.

I'm still salty as fuck that Micaiah setting an army on fire is treated as a borderline moral event horizon, but Robin setting them on fire and drowning them is a-okay.

I think what we've learnt today is that making the Player Avatar the Lord is a stupid-ass decision

I'm still salty as fuck that Micaiah setting an army on fire is treated as a borderline moral event horizon, but Robin setting them on fire and drowning them is a-okay.

I think what we've learnt today is that making the Player Avatar the Lord is a stupid-ass decision

I'd still like to think it could be done. They just failed horribly with Corncob by making their pure-hearted naivete, and never growing out of it, thanks in part to overbearing, and coddling older step siblings, central to the fking character. That isn't the person you want as the lord of the army.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

I'd still like to think it could be done. They just failed horribly with Corncob by making their pure-hearted naivete, and never growing out of it, thanks in part to overbearing, and coddling older step siblings, central to the fking character. That isn't the person you want as the lord of the army.

See, that's part of what makes Fates' narrative so stale: where's the strategy? They don't talk about that, hell they don't actually talk about anything. They just make a beeline for the goal with the necessary exposition delivered more often than not by Azura and then the game's over. At this point I think it's safe to assume that Corrin just solves his problems with brute force that magically doesn't kill people.