More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

*The more I hear about the gameplay aspects of the older games, the more I don't want to play them (I got fed up with Scared Stones at chapter 6)

What are exactly your problems with these games? o.o

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are exactly your problems with these games? o.o

From reading people's opinions, from my interpretation, a lot of the difficultly comes from nonsensical bullshit. The reason I gave up on Scared Stones was because my units kept dying on Chapter 6 (the chapters before hand were perfectly fine and reasonable) from shit I have no control over. For example because of the Fog, I had no idea Vanessa was in range of a archer.

With Radiant Dawn, the idea of having a forced deployment unit with bad speed and defense sounds like unnecessary stress ,the whole Dawn Brigade in general.

Path of Radiance sounds like a game I would enjoy.

From reading people's opinions, from my interpretation, a lot of the difficultly comes from nonsensical bullshit. The reason I gave up on Scared Stones was because my units kept dying on Chapter 6 (the chapters before hand were perfectly fine and reasonable) from shit I have no control over. For example because of the Fog, I had no idea Vanessa was in range of a archer.

With Radiant Dawn, the idea of having a forced deployment unit with bad speed and defense sounds like unnecessary stress ,the whole Dawn Brigade in general.

Your opinion of Sacred Stones is fair, and Chapter 6 is only the beginning of some of the more ridiculous things. I suggested FE7 because while it has its moments, it kept the worst of the absolute nonsense to the harder difficulties. Give it a try before you bash it!

... Yeah, maybe you would be okay with the American Version of PoR... or with any version of Blazing Sword (outside of the HHM).

Since a lot of people find units unbalanced in any FE game, I'm gonna have to in my unpopular opinion say that Conquest has the most balanced units period. Even if the units you get are weak, they will still have some use here and there.

Niles might not be that great of an archer but he's one of the only units that can open chests and the only one in Conquest that can capture units.

So yeah...there's your unpopular opinion from me.

Since a lot of people find units unbalanced in any FE game, I'm gonna have to in my unpopular opinion say that Conquest has the most balanced units period. Even if the units you get are weak, they will still have some use here and there.

Niles might not be that great of an archer but he's one of the only units that can open chests and the only one in Conquest that can capture units.

Er, in a recent thread, Conquest ranked as one of the most balanced of casts.

That is absolutely a popular opinion.

That is absolutely a popular opinion.

How about this? Roy is pathetic as both a character and as a unit.

EDIT: Also, can I ask why compared to Conquest, Blazing Sword does not have a balanced cast since well...the game encourages you to use the ones whom you like?

Edited by Harvey

How about this? Roy is pathetic as both a character and as a unit.

I've not played Binding Blade but judging by how people talk about him, this is definitely not an unpopular opinion at all. I do think people like his character though, so congratulations, you might go against the flow there.

Niles has always been good to me in Conquest for his incredible speed and resistance, though that doesn't make him too much different than Kaze. He also is the only bow-user you have for a while unless you heart seal units like Mozu. He's also one of the most popular characters in the game in general, so, yeah, I think using Niles often is justified by many.

Yeah, Roy is pretty bad as a unit on Hard mode, that has NEVER been an unpopular opinion. In fact, an unpopular opinion of mine is that, on normal mode, Roy is a solid unit. A lot of people myself included like his character however, so saying he has a bad characterization is worthy for this thread.

Tbh I don't think Roy's character is popular, but I also think it's not unpopular too. I think he's more divisive than anything, really.

That said, even people who like Roy's character aren't going to pretend he's a good unit. He's workable early and in the Axe Islands, and he gets an amazing Prf weapon for contributing in the lategame, but he has this midgame slump that he (or the player) can't do anything about, because as this tier 1 unit without potential to grow much longer than anyone else in the game.

Yeah, Roy is pretty bad as a unit on Hard mode, that has NEVER been an unpopular opinion. In fact, an unpopular opinion of mine is that, on normal mode, Roy is a solid unit. A lot of people myself included like his character however, so saying he has a bad characterization is worthy for this thread.

I also mentioned that his character is terrible even in the story wise department. He says he'll do this and he'll do that but he can't do anything and you're pretty much forced to use the other units to fill in Roy's roles here.

I also mentioned that his character is terrible even in the story wise department. He says he'll do this and he'll do that but he can't do anything and you're pretty much forced to use the other units to fill in Roy's roles here.

Not to disregard your opinion fam, but Roy never once says he'll do anything in FE6 that he doesn't actually do. He acknowledges his weaknesses in his supports and it's more or less a well known thing that is highly acknowledged thruout the army that Roy is significantly more brains than brawn. Roy's a tactician thru and thru, and by God, that's all he's got. Still, he's my favorite lord in the series because of this, but you don't like him, and that's okay.

Not to disregard your opinion fam, but Roy never once says he'll do anything in FE6 that he doesn't actually do. He acknowledges his weaknesses in his supports and it's more or less a well known thing that is highly acknowledged thruout the army that Roy is significantly more brains than brawn. Roy's a tactician thru and thru, and by God, that's all he's got. Still, he's my favorite lord in the series because of this, but you don't like him, and that's okay.

Yes there's a couple of things that he says he'll do but he actually doesn't. He promised to Gunivere that he won't kill Zephiel but he ends up doing it anyway. He says that he will do what he can to protect Lillina but doing that in the gameplay side of things single handedly is practically impossible for him to do.

His character is so weak that having him as a lord is pointless since this idiot is more of a thorn in your army rather than serving any use to your army. Blazing Sword has one chapter where the parts of the map are separated which means Eliwood can almost not get any help from his friends or other units. That alone just proves that you can't just ignore using your lord in a battlefield and expect the lord to be as good as the other units. It just doesn't work like that at all and that's the real issue that Binding Blade has. A weak lord that is abysmal from start till the endgame.

He never promised he wouldn't kill Zephiel lol. He said he'd try at best. He succeeds at protecting Lilina however, despite his stats suggesting he shouldn't be able to, and besides that, his stats are actually decent if not good at that point in the game.

Whatever, he doesn't try at all. And why oh why would anyone still defend his stats being decent if its obvious that his stats will never reach to even Diecks level at that point of the game?

And no, Roy is a terrible character and I will stress that. He's horrible in gameplay wise, his character role is weak with him only being good in studies rather than actual strength which ALSO plays an important role in a battle field. And I will ask this over and over, why the hell no one realizes that is beyond me.

. . .just how hard are you tying Roy's character in the story with his character stats?

Ok, let's start with the first chapter of binding blade.

Bandits show up, the goal is to save the ill fated Eliwood. Roy faces the head of the bandits. If he does this single handedly, he will die easily because somehow the hit rates are atrocious despite the weapon advantage that Roy has here. So no...poor poor baby Roy can't save his daddy all by himself when his own daddy can easily beat the main enemy of chapter 11 in FE7 easily.

Using Lance and Allen aren't that great either since they have a weapon disadvantage here and that Wolt can only do so poor poor damage even from the start.

What do you say to that?

I actually just started up a hard mode file to see if what you said is true, and Alan has 91% on a Fighter, Lance has 95%, and Roy has 100% with a Rapier. What the hell are you talking about?

This is getting ridiculous. Yes, the playable characters in FE6 tend to have lower stats compared to the enemies than characters in other FE games. You don't like that and that's fine. But the way you constantly repeat how the fact that your units aren't god among men ruins your precious immersion is getting really old.

Using Lance and Allen aren't that great either since they have a weapon disadvantage here and that Wolt can only do so poor poor damage even from the start.

Lance and Allen both start the game with an iron sword in their inventory. Not (or only infrequently during enemy phase) having to face weapon triangle disadvantage is one of the many reasons why they're both good units.

Enemies in this chapter (that aren't the boss) have 2-3 defense on normal mode. Base Wolt can deal 7-8 damage per hit without being counterattacked. Not overpowered, buf far from 'so poor poor damage'.

Really, it's fine that you have a bad opinion of this game. But the way you bash it and how you constantly ignore if people tell you that some of your claims are false can be really, really tiring.

I actually just started up a hard mode file to see if what you said is true, and Alan has 91% on a Fighter, Lance has 95%, and Roy has 100% with a Rapier. What the hell are you talking about?

What about normal mode? I'm honestly sick of people implementing stuff on hard mode when normal mode should be the one considered first. Also have you soloed the chapter with Roy alone because that was my whole point about Roy.

Further more, if any player finds the normal mode tedious, why would they try out the Hard mode that will only worsen their level of patience? I honestly don't get the hard mode thing here......

Really, it's fine that you have a bad opinion of this game. But the way you bash it and how you constantly ignore if people tell you that some of your claims are false can be really, really tiring.

So are you trying to say that the game is perfect in every way? I said that Roy is horrible and yet claims say otherwise. Support conversations are horrible, yet claims say otherwise. Majority of the units you get are weak as hell yet claims say otherwise. Its like every flaw that the game tends to have, the ones who love the game don't see it as an issue and acts as something that's more of the tactic side.

I'll tell you something. Fleeing Roy around in circles just so you don't get him killed to get a game over is not tactics. Its not even fun because you have to guide this idiot on the worst chapters that the game has to give you particularly that insane arrow chapter. It wouldn't be such a problem if this guy's growth rates are as good as Dieck's but they aren't at all. Even Lyn doesn't have to go through this kind of a mess just to get her to safety despite her resistance and defense stats being below average/ on par.

Ok so Allen and Lance start with swords but that still doesn't change how the hit rates are solely unbalanced here nor does it change the fact that Roy can't and simply WILL not solo the chapter all by himself as its simply impossible to do that and its not worth even trying.

Ok that's it, I'm not gonna bother ranting on that lousy Roy here as its clear that most still think that Binding Blade is a masterpiece and whatnot which it isn't and isn't suppose to be at all.

Edited by Harvey

Ok so Allen and Lance start with swords but that still doesn't change how the hit rates are solely unbalanced here nor does it change the fact that Roy can't and simply WILL not solo the chapter all by himself as its simply impossible to do that and its not worth even trying.

Ok that's it, I'm not gonna bother ranting on that lousy Roy here as its clear that most still think that Binding Blade is a masterpiece and whatnot which it isn't and isn't suppose to be at all.

What kind of ridiculous bench mark is it for a decent character that they have to be able to solo a map?

No one has claimed Binding Blade to be a flawless masterpiece, dude. I think you need to calm down.

So are you trying to say that the game is perfect in every way?

No, and I never did. I was trying to say that big parts of your complaints are unfair, overblown and/or false.

I said that Roy is horrible and yet claims say otherwise.

Most people will agree that Roy is a very weak unit. Your conclusion that this automatically makes him a bad character from a story perspective, however, isn't as undisputed, to put it mildly.

Support conversations are horrible, yet claims say otherwise.

You find the Support conversations horrible, I (and quite a few other players) don't. The way you spell some of the names suggests that you used the old translation patch - gringe's is much better.

Majority of the units you get are weak as hell yet claims say otherwise.

You're wrong. Not all units in the game are equally strong or viable, but only a few (Wendy, Sophia, Barth if you ask me) are 'weak as hell'.

I'll tell you something. Fleeing Roy around in circles just so you don't get him killed to get a game over is not tactics.

I never even once had Roy fleeing around in circles.

It wouldn't be such a problem if this guy's growth rates are as good as Dieck's but they aren't at all.

Roy has better growth rates than Deke. In literally every stat except Strength (tied) and HP (-10%).

This is ridiculous. If a single character can just solo a map, I'd call that poor balancing (e.g. Seth in FE8 being terribly overpowered)

I think I have stated in almost every reply to you that no, I do not think BB is a perfect game. I am aware that it is flawed and some of your criticism is valid. However, 'some of' is the key part of the sentence and that post showed why once again. You take your personal preferences and present them as undisputable facts. You just state blatant falsehood and completely ignore when someone points that out (idk and idc if it's trolling or just ignorance) and you strawman those posts into something like this quote. Congratulations, you just disproved an argument nobody has ever used. Edited by ping

What about normal mode? I'm honestly sick of people implementing stuff on hard mode when normal mode should be the one considered first. Also have you soloed the chapter with Roy alone because that was my whole point about Roy.

Further more, if any player finds the normal mode tedious, why would they try out the Hard mode that will only worsen their level of patience? I honestly don't get the hard mode thing here......

a) lords can't solo chapters without a lot of tomfuckery to begin with, you have to do the exact same shit to have roy survive and solo the map as just about any other FE character or lord aside from like Seth

b) the hit rates would probably be closer to 100 on normal mode than on hard mode, I just don't play FE6 on normal mode anymore so it was the easiest point of reference

c) saying that it's not flawed in the way that you're describing it != "it's a masterpiece"

d) roy's growth total is the highest in the game, though it could have a better distribution

e) i'm not sure if you've even played this game because Roy is pretty good in early-game and mid-game due to all the axes + the rapier is basically a silver weapon in chapter 4 against the cavs. his later-mid game is pretty depressing but he's again invaluable when he gets the binding blade, because that thing kills the fuck out of dragons