More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

The problem with Lyn Hard Mode is it's super boring but ultimately a good idea to go through in the long run, it lets some weaker units get a head start.

However, FE7 really shouldn't have made a third of the game a tutorial (one required on a first run, at that). It drags it out way too long.

Honestly FE6's tutorial was much better, it was short, to the point, and optional. Gets the basics of how the game works out of the way, without feeling the need to handhold the player on every single thing in the game (which is frankly pretty obnoxious, in the case of FE7).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So those that bought FE7 used are a problem?

Yes, Nintendo made no money from that sale, it's literally piracy

If LHM or ENM are unlocked on that cartridge by the previous owner, they skip LNM, and then say the game doesn't explain stuff, then that is a problem.

Just like the people who criticize Fates, eh?

Cheers.

*I'm more annoyed by the people who complain about the fan-service designs than the fan-service designs themselves.

*The 3DS games can't write a canon pairing for shit.

Ha yes.

I like Lyn mode cuz i like making Florina a murder machine in it. So by the time she rejoins later on, shes still above everyone else.

My unpopular opinion is that using hard mode to determine the worth of a unit is a bit faulty. The best way to determine the worth of a unit is how many resources they use up. If in Normal mode, a unit uses literally zero resources outside combat exp and maybe a promotion seal, it pretty much means they are pretty good. And will usually perform rather well to excellently on a higher difficulty. If a unit needs a huge amount of resources on an easier mode just to get going (guys like Donnel, etc), its pretty much the mark of a shitty unit. They cant even perform on Normal mode without loads of help, they cant perform period on a higher difficulty.

Well, I'm in the mood to be crucified, today.

I think FE4 is a little over-rated. I liked the plot of Gen 1, but I honestly think Gen 2 was a let-down. There were so many plot points, but they all seems to get too little attention to really be explored in any meaningful depth. With all the praise FE4's plot gets, I was expecting better. I honestly think the second gen should have had twice as many chapters in order to fully flesh out the dozen or so plot threads going on. I barely know anything about Julius besides he's some asshole demon spawn kid. We saw hardly any of Arvis in Gen 2, and I was expecting him to be some menacing presence, but he goes out with a whimper. Revenge is a dish best served cold, but in this case, it sat out too long and was just lukewarm, giving us food poisoning and the wish that it had been better as we vomit the contents of out enteric tract at 3:00 in the morning.

I think FE4 is a little over-rated. I liked the plot of Gen 1, but I honestly think Gen 2 was a let-down. There were so many plot points, but they all seems to get too little attention to really be explored in any meaningful depth. With all the praise FE4's plot gets, I was expecting better. I honestly think the second gen should have had twice as many chapters in order to fully flesh out the dozen or so plot threads going on. I barely know anything about Julius besides he's some asshole demon spawn kid. We saw hardly any of Arvis in Gen 2, and I was expecting him to be some menacing presence, but he goes out with a whimper. Revenge is a dish best served cold, but in this case, it sat out too long and was just lukewarm, giving us food poisoning and the wish that it had been better as we vomit the contents of out enteric tract at 3:00 in the morning.

I see FE4's story lambasted as "so much Shakespearean melodrama" more than genuinely praised, so I don't think this is unpopular.

Anyways, to actually contribute:

-The criticisms of Awakening and Fates' art suffering from same-faced syndrome are not only exaggerated, but hypocritical- as the worshiped Senri Kata art has it's fair share of too-similar faces as well.

-I don't dislike Corrin; I dislike how the game treats them, which just stems back to the writers.

-After further reflection, I don't want an FE Warriors game whatsoever; acting as precedence, Hyrule Warriors demonstrates that it would just be Waifu Warriors 2.0 with most of the series thrown under the bus until DLC.

-I think the majority of Awakening's DLC art ranges from decent to great; Celica, Eirika, Michaiah, Est, Palla, and Ike need not apply (3/8 vs 5/8).

-Dovetailing with the above, I like Roy's DLC art more than his actual design, and would've preferred if Smash 4 split his alts 50/50 between the original and the DLC designs rather than trying to merge them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmmaSMa5-w8

FE4 is at this point very old and rough around the edges; I don't think disliking anything about it is especially unpopular at this point though of course it does have its fans. I can't say the game did anything for me before I got tired of it and put it down, and what I read of the story beyond that did not impress me, either.

I like Lyn Mode pretty well; the maps are not the best but they're fast, introduce new units/concepts at a good clip, and the writing is of considerably higher caliber than the rest of FE7 IMO.

I kind of knew the gameplay shortcomings of FE4, since I tried to play it and never got past the first chapter, but there's no reason the plot should suffer. There are plenty of good RPGs on the SNES. It's not like the NES, where they had limited space.

Edited by Rezzy

I think the worth of a unit should be based on how unlikely they are to die and thereby force the player to reset

"Efficiency" is pointless if you end up restarting all the time for favorable RNG and spend more time on the chapter than you would if you just played carefully

I think Donnel is a good character, since it only takes an hour to grind him up to speed at most, he'll be your most powerful character for most of the game, and he only really falls behind when you start hitting stat caps, which only really matters if you're playing Apotheosis.

Thracia 776 has the most unique narrative structure in the series. I'm a sucker for stories that take place within other stories, and the idea of filling the space between Gens I and II is great. If we get another FE that is directly linked to another, I'd like it to be an interquel.

FE4 is at this point very old and rough around the edges; I don't think disliking anything about it is especially unpopular at this point though of course it does have its fans. I can't say the game did anything for me before I got tired of it and put it down, and what I read of the story beyond that did not impress me, either.

I like Lyn Mode pretty well; the maps are not the best but they're fast, introduce new units/concepts at a good clip, and the writing is of considerably higher caliber than the rest of FE7 IMO.

FE4 is a game that is rough around the edges in the bad way IMO. It was my first FE game, and I remember having so many bad habits because of it-- one of them being that I tried to use everyone and made the games considerably more difficult on myself rather than using a set team. I just had this though in my mind that there would come a time where everyone would be deployed.

I like Lyn Mode's story. I'd go so far as to say that I don't think that FE stories are good when they become "complex."

- The GBA games (followed by FE9-10) are the best Fire Emblem games ever created

- Disliked Fates

- Awakening was Meh

- Expanding upon or creating better functioning Emulators for multiple systems should be people's top priority (one day we could have randomized Radiant Dawn)

Not sure if these are that unpopular, to be honest (the randomized Radiant Dawn sounds like a whole lot of fun).

- The GBA games (followed by FE9-10) are the best Fire Emblem games ever created

- Disliked Fates

- Awakening was Meh

- Expanding upon or creating better functioning Emulators for multiple systems should be people's top priority (one day we could have randomized Radiant Dawn)

Did I stumble upon the thread for popular opinions, by any chance?

-The criticisms of Awakening and Fates' art suffering from same-faced syndrome are not only exaggerated, but hypocritical- as the worshiped Senri Kata art has it's fair share of too-similar faces as well.

-I don't dislike Corrin; I dislike how the game treats them, which just stems back to the writers.

Not to say that other artists are perfect but I think the Kozaki does have a bit of a problem.

Oboro_Sketch_Stitchingclothes__zpszi7pjz

This could easily be Lucina although it's actually Oboro.

Also, about Corrin, what do you mean that it's the fault of the writers and not the character? How do you separate the character from what the writers write?

Also, about Corrin, what do you mean that it's the fault of the writers and not the character? How do you separate the character from what the writers write?

The way I understand it, he doesn't have a problem with Corrin being a naive, trusting fool. I mean, s/he grew up mostly isolated so it's understandable that s/he doen't know how to deal with intrigue and deception. But the way others react to Corrin tends to be less realistic: "Oh, you are a naive trusting fool, Corrin. THAT IS SO AMAZING DONT YOU EVER CHANGE! Also, we should totally keep you in charge of the whole war, even if there are clearly better commanders present (depending on the route at least Ryoma, Xander and Leo)."

Not to say that other artists are perfect but I think the Kozaki does have a bit of a problem.

Oboro_Sketch_Stitchingclothes__zpszi7pjz

This could easily be Lucina although it's actually Oboro.

Yeah, his rougher art from his twitter account isn't that great in general. I'd say you don't really see much of that in-game, however.

And basically what Ping said; I don't have a problem with how Corrin acts as it's pretty consistent with how you'd expect someone from their background to act. My problem lays with how the story itself never calls them out for it; at the end of the day, I'd prefer to direct ire towards the writers than fictional characters anyways.

Edited by The DanMan

-After further reflection, I don't want an FE Warriors game whatsoever; acting as precedence, Hyrule Warriors demonstrates that it would just be Waifu Warriors 2.0 with most of the series thrown under the bus until DLC.

What about what happened with DQ Heroes? Every game that has had actual party members (with the exception of II) has had playable reps at one point or another (I do think they go overboard with IV though). And even in the case of II, most of the monsters included originate from the first three games.

Games like I, III, IX and X don't have reps because their party is generics.

I will say it's weird that Japan's favorite DQ (VII PSX is the #1 best selling DQ in that region) was shafted for the first game and Yuuji Horii's personal favorite (V, according to an interview) was shafted in the second, though.

I think a lot of the reason we didn't get much beyond OoT/TP/SS originally was the artstyle, really.

This is more so because a vast majority of major Zelda characters are Female there are hardly any significant male characters in the franchise and when they do exist they tend to be very incompetent and not liked by many fans, see Ralph in Oracle of Ages, I'm quite sure if we got an FE Warriors, Koei would go the route of more Balanced out casts.

Glac hit the point on the head with DQ Heroes.

Edited by Jedi

What about what happened with DQ Heroes? Every game that has had actual party members (with the exception of II) has had playable reps at one point or another (I do think they go overboard with IV though). And even in the case of II, most of the monsters included originate from the first three games.

Games like I, III, IX and X don't have reps because their party is generics.

I will say it's weird that Japan's favorite DQ (VII PSX is the #1 best selling DQ in that region) was shafted for the first game and Yuuji Horii's personal favorite (V, according to an interview) was shafted in the second, though.

I think a lot of the reason we didn't get much beyond OoT/TP/SS originally was the artstyle, really.

...I wasn't ware of this. There I go being the pessimist...

This is more so because a vast majority of major Zelda characters are Female there are hardly any significant male characters in the franchise and when they do exist they tend to be very incompetent and not liked by many fans, see Ralph in Oracle of Ages, I'm quite sure if we got an FE Warriors, Koei would go the route of more Balanced out casts.

Glac hit the point on the head with DQ Heroes.

..Though, considering TMS, I'd remain cautious.It's not like I have a document on my computer detailing my ideal roster or anything.

Edited by The DanMan