Attack on gay nightclub in Orlando leaves 50 dead.

solrocknroll

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36512308?client=safari#

50 people died, 53 were injured. This was the largest mass shooting in U.S. history and is a clear example of what a hate crime can truly be.

My thoughts are with all of the families that are in mourning today.

Edit: Donald Trump memorialized the victims the only way he knew how: by congratulating himself

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742034549232766976

Edited by Ms. Bunch

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so I've got some harsh words, and I'm not sure how they would be received.

America is a country full of cowards, for as much of their boasting of 'home of the brave'. Not cowards that would run from gunfire mind you, no, I'm sure all of us would. Intellectual cowards.

People act as though it somehow has to do with your political views, as if people dying should be discarded to talk about the real issue - how those 'libtards' or 'nutjobs' are just ruining everything. Why their views are superior, followed by sneers or jabs after every possible event that may undermine what a person thinks. How they might put forward their political views about banning Muslims, a totally illogical and unenforcable course of action, despite that the father said that the attack had nothing to do with religion for what his word is worth. Not that it should even matter.

I'm going to break and say that while this event makes me feel horrible, I also feel an anger because of how the average American person reacts.

Normally, I expect these things. But I have to admit, the way people react in regards to blaming Muslims, that steams me. Terrorists (and we can argue on whether this is or is not terrorism, irrelevant, though it is without a doubt a hate crime) thrive on their ability to get you to fear them, and yet you will generalise a fear for all of a supposed freedom of religion in your country? Eh, the First Ammendment isn't important anyway, it already takes enough of a hit because people just don't care. The way people yell out that guns should have heavier restrictions (which they should), "trying to take our guns", over and over again every time this happens, NRA rushing to justify it even though they know they have people in their back pocket because they crave protections, scared and paranoid, and they're going to sell it to them, nothing ever changes and innocent people die in the name of people's supposed liberty. How the average person would rather pay slightly less taxes over actually putting forth their money to help people in their times of need. Such a humane country, feels like one without a shortage of psychopaths to me.

My heart goes out to both those affected by the attack and those trapped in America's systems who are powerless. Just a very sad day.

Edited by Tryhard

I'm not a supporter of the LGBT community, but this still sucks. No one deserves to have their life taken away.

R.I.P. those people and my condolences to their families.

https://twitter.com/Reuters?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

i'm really not sure how this doesn't have anything to do with religion.

I just want to be protected from maniacs like this that think that "kiling gays is helping them"

It's quite possible that the Islamic State is just taking credit for it.

It's too small small scale for their usual acts. Not to say that 50 people dying is a small thing, it's not.

But if they were really targeting the USA, I would imagine that they would attack a much more famous or crowded place.

It's also worth noticing that the shooter may have had mental issues.

His ex-wife says that he used to beat her.

And his father said that he wasn't a very religious person, but he was quite homophobic.

Edited by Water Mage

https://twitter.com/mic/status/742043028240633856

the primary issue here is about homophobia. the terrorist could've been of afghan descent, but, from most accounts, was moved more by irrational hatred of "the gay people" than anything.

if it were about religion, don't you think it would be easier to tackle places closely related to christianity first? also, it's not like the lgbt community doesn't get shit from christians as well.

I think this is partially frustrating because the white dude who shot up a black church was told to be mentally ill to garner up sympathy whereas this guy was more than likely mentally ill (I mean his parents and ex-wife said so, he's a wife-beater) and instead he's a "terrorist." I hate beating around this angle but I mean really? Can't we just call a spade a spade every time instead of picking and choosing?

At any rate, I don't know a single Muslim that would support his actions, especially during the month of Ramadan.

I think this is partially frustrating because the white dude who shot up a black church was told to be mentally ill to garner up sympathy whereas this guy was more than likely mentally ill (I mean his parents and ex-wife said so, he's a wife-beater) and instead he's a "terrorist." I hate beating around this angle but I mean really? Can't we just call a spade a spade every time instead of picking and choosing?At any rate, I don't know a single Muslim that would support his actions, especially during the month of Ramadan.

That's right, I totally forgot that this was Ramadan's month.

If he really was religious, he shouldn't be in a healthy condition to commit mass murder.

Edited by Water Mage

This hits close to home for me, and I'm sorry for the pointless waste of human life. I would donate my O- blood, if I could, but I can't with a baby on the way.

I don't like the term "hate crime". Every crime of this nature is either motivated by a hatred or the perpetrator is crazy. I don't care if they want to kill me for being bisexual or they want to kill me for wearing orange that day. The end result is the same, and I don't want to glorify one motive over the other.

He may have been motivated by his own perverted view of religious beliefs; I don't care. No one who commits mass murder can call themselves religious in my book.

Edited by Rezzy

Edit: Donald Trump memorialized the victims the only way he knew how: by congratulating himself

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742034549232766976

And this, folks, is why Trump has gotten such a bad reputation, because while he needs to control his mouth better, he's completely misinterpreted a lot. He's not congratulating himself here, he says he doesn't WANT congrats, but for people to be tough, vigilant, and smart. Big difference. It's the comments that are congratulating him and saying that he's right about Islamic terror. And he IS right. Though whether or not this shooting was terrorism or a giant hate crime, it doesn't seem like we'll ever know with the gunman dead.

Anyway, this is absolutely terrible, and my condolences go to the families and the LGBT community. And fuck any homophobes who say those victims deserved it (because we all know that somewhere out there, homophobes are saying this). I always wonder why there is such hate in this world for things like LGBT. Their lifestyles don't affect your own, and they're not hurting anyone by being LGBT, so why can't people just let them live their lives in peace?

Edited by Anacybele

Anyone who can, go donate blood if you want to show support. Especially, if you're O-. It's always in demand, even outside of attacks and natural disasters.

I checked and pregnancy is a contraindication.

I'll also say this. Break the chain of hate. The shooter is dead, there's nothing to do there. What he did was evil, but I don't want anyone and bombing a mosque in some misguided idea of revenge. I will not bring myself to hate anyone by the actions of the few.

Edited by Rezzy

That's right, I totally forgot that this was Ramadan's month.

If he really was religious, he shouldn't be in a healthy condition to commit mass murder.

I'm fasting and I find myself awake at night, but it's less about "healthy condition" and more "if he was religious, he'd be praying at a mosque right around that time and/or going to bed and waking up later and/or not doing anything hateful at all."

Yep, this sucks, and, unfortunately, the gunman appears to have been inspired by Daesh; he called 911 and swore alliegance to Daesh before carrying out the attack. I think that the father saying it wasn't inspired by religion is pure bs. It obviously was. On the other hand, the solution remains seeing how someone like him had access to a gun in the first place.

First off, here's a slightly better version of OP's link. Some of the pictures get a little bloody (but not graphically so).

inb4 threadlock.

but seriously, i've been mad about this for hours on end today.

The people that worship this religion are just not compatible with people of the current world.

I am honestly terrified every time i see one because i know my people would be killed by them just for liking men.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY ABOUT NEGATIVE BLANKET STATEMENTS?

No, seriously. Some people will use religion as an excuse to do terrible things. Others have better things to do with their time.

You too, Tryhard.

Anyone ELSE that has something that's both derogatory, and indiscriminately applied to an entire group of people, will be warned. Heavily.

I think this is partially frustrating because the white dude who shot up a black church was told to be mentally ill to garner up sympathy whereas this guy was more than likely mentally ill (I mean his parents and ex-wife said so, he's a wife-beater) and instead he's a "terrorist." I hate beating around this angle but I mean really? Can't we just call a spade a spade every time instead of picking and choosing?

At any rate, I don't know a single Muslim that would support his actions, especially during the month of Ramadan.

This guy gets it - evaluate the shooter on his own merits. In this case, given the homophobia and wife-beating, I suspect he might've been conflicted about his own sexuality.

(and WTF Obama, this shooter's a dickweed, not a terrorist)

Anyone who can, go donate blood if you want to show support. Especially, if you're O-. It's always in demand, even outside of attacks and natural disasters.

I checked and pregnancy is a contraindication.

I'll also say this. Break the chain of hate. The shooter is dead, there's nothing to do there. What he did was evil, but I don't want anyone and bombing a mosque in some misguided idea of revenge. I will not bring myself to hate anyone by the actions of the few.

Would love to, but I'm a little too light (I'd need to gain five pounds right now). I also support your second paragraph, because trying to avenge violence with violence will only make things worse.

---

My condolences to everyone involved - the families who lost someone, and those who are still recovering (whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, or otherwise). I'm going to take the shooter's father's words over what the rest of the politicians are speculating - he knows his own son better.

EDIT:

Yep, this sucks, and, unfortunately, the gunman appears to have been inspired by Daesh; he called 911 and swore alliegance to Daesh before carrying out the attack. I think that the father saying it wasn't inspired by religion is pure bs. It obviously was. On the other hand, the solution remains seeing how someone like him had access to a gun in the first place.

You DO realize that Daesh's main target. . .is other Muslims, right?

Edited by eclipse

And this, folks, is why Trump has gotten such a bad reputation, because while he needs to control his mouth better, he's completely misinterpreted a lot. He's not congratulating himself here, he says he doesn't WANT congrats, but for people to be tough, vigilant, and smart. Big difference. It's the comments that are congratulating him and saying that he's right about Islamic terror. And he IS right. Though whether or not this shooting was terrorism or a giant hate crime, it doesn't seem like we'll ever know with the gunman dead.

Anyway, this is absolutely terrible, and my condolences go to the families and the LGBT community. And fuck any homophobes who say those victims deserved it (because we all know that somewhere out there, homophobes are saying this). I always wonder why there is such hate in this world for things like LGBT. Their lifestyles don't affect your own, and they're not hurting anyone by being LGBT, so why can't people just let them live their lives in peace?

He flat out said "appreciate the congrats." In any manner, this is downright insulting. He's glad that he was right.

Notice the lack of a "my condolences" in any manner. He also tweeted that before we even knew the religious leanings of the perpetrator.

As for Orlando, it's shocking that there were two instances of high-profile murders in Orlando in the past two nights. Last night it was this attack, and the night before saw Christina Grimmie getting shot by a gunman who was likely a stalker.

Any time the interview the parents of a criminal, you have to take what they say with a grain of salt. They're likely in shock about what happened and in denial about the magnitude of it. They've raised them since they were a little baby, and as a parent, I can tell you, we always see our kids as that little baby.

It's sort of like the father of the Swimmer Rapist's father writing a plea to the judge for leniency for his son's "20 minutes of action". Of course the parents are going to try to put their kids in the best light. It's one's first instinct as a parent, and I can't really blame them. Even if the fathers think their sons are probably guilty, they don't want to admit it to themselves or the world at large.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY ABOUT NEGATIVE BLANKET STATEMENTS?

No, seriously. Some people will use religion as an excuse to do terrible things. Others have better things to do with their time.

You too, Tryhard.

Anyone ELSE that has something that's both derogatory, and indiscriminately applied to an entire group of people, will be warned. Heavily.

I wasn't generalising, in fact I state myself that I'm against the generalising of Muslims in the same post. My experience that I have seen a lot of Americans who are intellectually dishonest is not my claim that all Americans are intellectually dishonest, and my post is an expression of the former. I do not like the American construct, but do actually feel bad for those that are apathetic or suffer because of it. My post is a response to those that are unable to grasp the issue and exchange it for one that is more comfortable for them.

Edit: You've done the same thing when you've disapproved of the amount of support Trump has gotten from American people.

I also wasn't going to argue so I was just leaving that post as that was it.

Edited by Tryhard

He flat out said "appreciate the congrats." In any manner, this is downright insulting. He's glad that he was right.

Yes, and then he said, "I don't want congrats." Read the entire tweet, please.

Look, like I said, he needs to work on his mouth. But this does not at all mean that he intends to insult anyone. And he's saying he's glad that he's right because he wants people to be woken the fuck up to reality and realize what's wrong with the world.

Edited by Anacybele

Any time the interview the parents of a criminal, you have to take what they say with a grain of salt. They're likely in shock about what happened and in denial about the magnitude of it. They've raised them since they were a little baby, and as a parent, I can tell you, we always see our kids as that little baby.is son's "20 minutes of action". Of course the parents are going to try to put their kids in the best light. It's one's first instinct as a parent, and I can't really blame them. Even if the fathers think their sons are probably guilty, they don't want to admit it to themselves or the world at large.

I dunno, he condemned his son as mentally ill and non-religious.

This is legitimately frightening. I hope and pray that something like this never happens again.