Most overrated Fire Emblem in your opinion

Katie

Which FE do you think is the most overrated?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE do you think is the most overrated?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE3
    • BSFE
    • FE4
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7
    • FE8
    • FE9
    • FE10
    • FE11
    • FE12
    • FE13
    • FE14 Birthright
    • FE14 Conquest
    • FE14 Revelation
    • None

Quoting something from the first page here but I'd just like to point out that this is someone who was hating on a game series before they even played a single game in it. So my opinion of their opinion couldn't really be much lower.

Honestly, I feel like that person might have been trolling. It's not an uncommon occurrence on the GameFAQs boards. I do it myself sometimes.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to echo the sentiments of the honorable Mr. Jotari and say Path of Radiance. Its gameplay felt quite bland to me, and there wasn't really any chapter that I absolutely love, like, say, 10 for Conquest. Its story I feel is also overrated; Ike isn't all that interesting to me, and all the good things it does get retconned in RD anyway. It felt painfully average for me, especially with... THAT chapter.

:evil: *attempts to light the fuse to the gunpowder storage only to be given a gridiron-style tackle to the ground by a vigilant SF member* :P:

Jokings aside, I actually don't know. Unlike other franchises, however, I don't really find any to be overhyped. Maybe Awakening, by virtue of being much better known outside of dedicated fans - but that saved the franchise from dying, which I do appreciate. On the other hand, I miss some of the more bigger-picture driven narrative seen in older franchises. I don't like FE7 to be honest, unlike most US (and maybe Euro/Australian?) audiences, but I attribute that to Values Dissonance (from TV Tropes) than the game being overhyped per se - being Japanese, I share their fanbase's sentiment in considering that game to be less to our liking than FE6.

Edited by henrymidfields

:evil: *attempts to light the fuse to the gunpowder storage only to be given a gridiron-style tackle to the ground by a vigilant SF member* :P:

Jokings aside, I actually don't know. Unlike other franchises, however, I don't really find any to be overhyped. Maybe Awakening, by virtue of being much better known outside of dedicated fans - but that saved the franchise from dying, which I do appreciate. On the other hand, I miss some of the more bigger-picture driven narrative seen in older franchises. I don't like FE7 to be honest, unlike most US (and maybe Euro/Australian?) audiences, but I attribute that to Values Dissonance (from TV Tropes) than the game being overhyped per se - being Japanese, I share their fanbase's sentiment in considering that game to be less to our liking than FE6.

Actually if this poll is anything to go by, they like FE 7 more weirdly enough.... http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64311 Edited by Locke087

Actually if this poll is anything to go by, they like FE 7 more weirdly enough.... http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64311

Wait, so it is in 2nd place in the polls? I had no idea. Then that means that the Germans Love David Hasselhof entry inside FE6+7's TV Tropes' YMMV page is either wrong, or at least obsolete by a huge margin of time, then.

Edited by henrymidfields

I feel I'd have to go with Awakening and Fates Conquest. I feel that Awakening is overrated by some fans and feel that "saving the series" doesn't fully circumvent some of the games flaws. The new mechanics aren't the most balanced and many old mechanics are MIA. The objective diversity is limited to Rout and Kill Commander, and the story has some flaws. It's alright overall, but I feel there are better alternatives series wode.

Fates Conquest often gets the most praise out of the Fates games, and with good reason. However, I think some aspects of Conquest are overrated. For example, I don't feel the changes to Pair-Up are substantial enough, as Dual Guard is almost always the optimal choice. I believe slice of life aspects such as My Castle and mechanics such as the Children system cause great dissonance with the tone of the game. Grinding/Fund Limitations promised in the campaign seem more in relation to Birthright/Revelation than meaningful on a series wide basis, especially since the new weapon system values statistical management over fund management. Objective diversity is solid, but Seize is far less demanding of players as it's no longer limited to the Lord. Wifi elements bring on some balance issues as a whole. Finally, I feel there are some true clunkers of maps, and a bit too many gimmicks at times. I admire Conquest for its scope and scale (Similar to Radiant Dawn), but I feel the execution was really hit or miss. The story is another matter I'd rather not get into.

Edited by DeoGame

Can i just say that if you haven't played a game, you don't have the right to judge it (technically). It's like food. If you haven't tried it, you don't know the taste, so you can't judge it!

Can i just say that if you haven't played a game, you don't have the right to judge it (technically). It's like food. If you haven't tried it, you don't know the taste, so you can't judge it!

Not really. I've never read 50 Shades of Grey. I can still surmise its shit based on the premise alone. I have never watched Batman and Robin. I can still surmise its shit based on trailers and the testimonies of countless reviews.

I agree...But is there anyone here doing that?

If you read the past posts on this topic, you will notice that it has actually happened.

I have but I don't recall what you're talking about. Most of the conversation so far has been about what one considers a Classic Fire Emblem.

None. Because overrated is a stupid word my opinion. Sure, a lot of people like Blazing Sword and Awakening because it is their first game. There was also a lot of people who like Blazing Sword and Awakening and it is not their first game. Blazing Sword is my second-favorite, and it is the 6th Fire Emblem game I have ever played. I'm not a huge fan of Awakening, but I can see why people like it. That's the thing, people like different games for different reasons.

Also, I have to say that I question the integrity of someone who admits that they posted the same topic on a different forum just to "start a shitstorm"

Also, I have to say that I question the integrity of someone who admits that they posted the same topic on a different forum just to "start a shitstorm"

I didn't post this same topic on a different forum to start a topic. I posted a similar topic about whether FE7 specifically was overrated with the intent of starting a shit storm, and while I did post a topic very much like this one too, only without the 3DS titles because there wasn't room due to gamefaqs's silly 10 poll option limit, that one wasn't made with the purpose of starting a shitstorm.

I'll mimic the sentiment that overrated isn't a good term. I mean, stuff like Undertale which are great get called overrated just for having a fanbase.

As for casualization, my games absolutely must be as casual as possible. I only play ridiculously easy games. So Awakening met all of my requirements.

In addition, I hope marriage and the avatar always stay. I love attention and I want everything in a game to be about me me me. I love self inserts more than probably anyone else who's ever played a video game, and I also love fanservice and pandering because I eat that up. I actually kinda wish a that every character had a super fanservicey outfit.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

All FE games are good, but as far as overrated goes, I'll have to go with 4,7 and the Tellius games.

FE4: The large maps and inclusion of full canto makes the game heavily biased towards mounted units. The game is also quite easy since Sigurd and Lewyn can carry you for the entire first gen and you can completely break the second gen in half with the correct pairings, most of which are very easy to do. Even if you play with substitute children, Shanan, Ares (and to a lesser extent, Hawk) can slaughter everyone just fine until Seliph and Leif are ready to promote. Also the hidden objectives basically require a guide to accomplish (how the fuck am I supposed to know that Lex can get a brave axe by standing by the lake?). I'm still confused as to how people can just ignore the mechanical faults that this game has.

FE7: Babby's first FE, so obviously it's judged with nostalgia goggles on. I actually found the Con system in FE7 to be worse than that of FE6. The game is also quite easy, even on HHM, due to it handing you some very powerful pre-promoted units. Also, some of those Gaiden requirements are fucking stupid, like the one where you have to grind Nils to unlock a chapter much later in the storyline.

FE9: I actually really like FE9, since it improved on a lot of the features of the GBA games. The changes to the support system and the inclusion of BEXP were excellent ideas. The story, while very basic in concept, was done quite well. However, this game also suffers from being heavily biased towards mounted units due to 1) Full Canto and 2) Mounted units having stats comparable to their unmounted counterparts. The game is also presented very badly, with the graphics being very poor and attack animations being so slow that I had to take them off after the first chapter. I've only joined SF a few weeks ago but what I've noticed is that PoR has a bit of a sacred cow status on this site.

FE10: A clusterfuck. That's all I can say. It was like Code Geass, a very entertaining trainwreck.

I decided to leave Awakening and Fates out of this because it seems that everyone is aware of their respective faults

Hmmm... It's actually a little bit harder too judge what are exactly the Games that get better or worse in "Rate" aspect. Many of them (except the First two and FE11) has their own reasons to actually get extra praise.

But talking about Overhyped Fire Emblem Games (that is a similar concept but more accuarate for what I want to say), Awakening and Fates generate incredible high expectations for some fans (in fact, one of my friends that loves FE3/12 and FE5 found Conquest's Difficulty "dissapointing and Corrin/Camilla dependent") and other fans (most of them) a blurred vision of the game's actual quality with all the praise around them.

Hmmm... It's actually a little bit harder too judge what are exactly the Games that get better or worse in "Rate" aspect. Many of them (except the First two and FE11) has their own reasons to actually get extra praise.

But talking about Overhyped Fire Emblem Games (that is a similar concept but more accuarate for what I want to say), Awakening and Fates generate incredible high expectations for some fans (in fact, one of my friends that loves FE3/12 and FE5 found Conquest's Difficulty "dissapointing and Corrin/Camilla dependent") and other fans (most of them) a blurred vision of the game's actual quality with all the praise around them.

Can't personally speak for the first two but I think Shadow Dragon has plenty to praise about it. Solid level design, great difficulty scaling, actual multiplayer and the first game in the series to have a UI so beautiful I'd legally marry it.

Edited by Jotari

Can't personally speak for the first two but I think Shadow Dragon has plenty to praise about it. Solid level design, great difficulty scaling, actual multiplayer and the first game in the series to have a UI so beautiful I'd legally marry it.

Good music too. Shadow Dragon has my favorite OST in Fire Emblem, with Fates and Radiant Dawn as a close 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Honestly if it had a better art style, 11 would be the fire emblem that all other fire emblems strive to be.

I'd love to see a version of the game where to only thing changed was a swap to the gba style graphics.

Honestly if it had a better art style, 11 would be the fire emblem that all other fire emblems strive to be.

I'd love to see a version of the game where to only thing changed was a swap to the gba style graphics.

I'd love to see a version where Gaidens are accessible without slaughtering 70% of your arm.

FE7: Baby's first FE, so obviously it's judged with nostalgia goggles on.

I played FE8, FE9, FE10, FE11, and FE13 before FE7

FE7 is my second favorite FE after 6.

Please don't generalize like this, it really bugs me.

I'd love to see a version where Gaidens are accessible without slaughtering 70% of your arm.

"Clear in X turns" actually encouraged good playing, unlike "let your army get killed" which just forces the player to play worse. It's just such a strange requirement considering FE6 showed a far superior one several games earlier.

I know that Awakening gets its fair share of criticism, but I will say it's overhyped for saving the series. Awakening certainly made the series more popular by broadening the audience, but it selling well doesn't make it the best thing to happen to Fire Emblem. Iirc, the sales target for Awakening wasn't even that high, so the series could have survived even with a more modest success.

It's not a bad game, however, and I credit it for being the prototype of Fates' greatly improved gameplay.

Edited by NekoKnight