Most overrated Fire Emblem in your opinion

Katie

Which FE do you think is the most overrated?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE do you think is the most overrated?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE3
    • BSFE
    • FE4
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7
    • FE8
    • FE9
    • FE10
    • FE11
    • FE12
    • FE13
    • FE14 Birthright
    • FE14 Conquest
    • FE14 Revelation
    • None

Mattewtheman - favorite Fire Emblem Game : Awakening.

Now i see why you protect that game.

(LONG LIVE THRACIA 776)

Hey, FE4 is my 3rd favorite, and 9 and 10 are my 6th and 5th favorites, respectively, and I'll admit they're overrated. I just haven't seen anyone actually overrating Awakening, I mostly just see people bashing it or talking about how it was at least better than Fates in a given regard. If someone could provide evidence of people actually overrating Awakening, my opinion could change. I'll admit Awakening has its flaws, mainly in plot and a lack of objective variety, but I find nearly everything else to be an improvement over previous titles, especially with how much freedom you're given in how to play the game.

I think Thracia is overrated too, but my main gripe with it also seems to be the reason most of its fans love it - its absurd difficulty level.

By that logic, I don't think FE11 is either, since you just had to trash Medeus to win the final map there, no special chairs involved.

Unsure about the rest of the Seize Emblem

Good point. Yeah, FE6 is still probably a seize emblem.

I dont think FE13 is overrated if only because there's a pretty solid amount of haters who are not in the background at all when it comes to opinions on that game.

FE7 wins by virtue of rose tinted glasses everywhere, even vets give it way too much credit as a game.

My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Matthewtheman

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit cliche but I'll have to go with Awakening. Solid game, decent lore, characters and a better story than Fates IMO. But the battle system feels weird and how every chapter is a defeat boss map gets really repetitive.

I can see how this game saved the franchise, but I think this game will age sooner than some of the past FE games.

As for why I can't understand people liking them, I already said my main gripe with FE4 (the oversized maps making it a slog to play), but aside from that, Shadow Dragon just doesn't feel like a remake by my standards, and Thracia... well, I'll just say that there's too much I don't like about Thracia. That being said, I haven't played either of the Jugdral games, but there's just too much I dislike about them that kills any desire I have to play them.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

While I enjoy all FEs for my own reasons, the one I feel is most over rated is Radiant Dawn. I don't see why people liked it.

It's story, with the exception of Part 2, is meh. It is horribly unbalanced to the point Part 1 units are extremely difficult to make useful in Part 3 without using grinding tricks, once your reach the end of the game, all your training was useless since you just have all theses Laguz royals that can literally destroy the Endgame which really annoys me, also, just Laguz in generally is poorly done, having to play the game twice to get every character is absurd, especially considering its length, also, and as I have said before, Miccy should not have been tossed aside for Ike and what ever Yune is.

I don't really see how Awakening is overrated. Sure it's very popular and its sales were phenomenal for a FE, but I don't see people pretending that it's perfect or ignoring its flaws, even if it's their favorite, unlike some FEs such as FE4, FE7, or the Tellius games. In fact, I see people bashing it more often than I do singing its praises, though I'm aware the bashers are a vocal minority. But maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. If you people can provide me evidence of someone overexaggerating how good it is, please do so. I can provide an example of someone exaggerating the quality of FE7:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73912781

They literally call it a masterpiece.

Your wish is my command, here is evidence of awakening overhyping.

Go to near the end of the video (Awakening is number 1), the man literally says that any flaw found with the game is just a nitpick.

Also in IGN's top 125 Nintendo games Awakening placed 14th while no other Fire Emblems even made it into the list except for Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and Blade of Light (they only put it there because it's the first one) which IGN could not even be bothered to give the correct subtitle for. Also early on in the list history they mixed up it up with Gaiden showing that they have played neither.

Edited by Locke087

Your wish is my command, here is evidence awakening of overhyping.

Go to near the end of the video the man literally says that any flaw found with the game is just a nitpick.

Also in IGN's top 125 Nintendo games Awakening placed 14th while no other Fire Emblems even made it into the list except for Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and Blade of Light (they only put it there because it's the first one) which IGN could not even be bothered to give its correct subtitle for. Also early on in the list history they mixed up it up with Gaiden showing that they have played neither.

Fair enough. Do you have more examples?

I also enjoy all the games, I just think some of them aren't as great as people claim, and all of them are far from perfect.

I still think FE7 is incredibly mediocre in every regard and have never gotten the hype behind it.

Do I like some characters and a few maps? Yes.

But I hate almost everything else about it.

I can't say Awakening because it has so many people who actually hate it as much as like it so I can't really agree with that sentiment.

This thread proves that none of the games are overrated because there are plenty of people stating their dislike for all different games in the series. Maybe if you're only counting video game fans in general and not just Fire Emblem fans you could make an argument for Awakening (Fates doesn't seem to have quite as much hype around it as Awakening did) merely due to the degree of exposure it gets compared to other FEs.

I have to follow the train and chose Awakening:

It's a fun game, thar's for sure.

The problem is that, in the forums I went, everyone praise it like It was the best game in the series(and I have to admit that I belived the same thing, before I begun to truly know the series)

When It has so many problems that I can't consider it the best. I simply can't.

Then again, every FE has its own problems and they are overrated by their fans, but I feel that Awakening is the one that has this "problem" more than any other game in the series.

As for why I can't understand people liking them, I already said my main gripe with FE4 (the oversized maps making it a slog to play), but aside from that, Shadow Dragon just doesn't feel like a remake by my standards, and Thracia... well, I'll just say that there's too much I don't like about Thracia. That being said, I haven't played either of the Jugdral games, but there's just too much I dislike about them that kills any desire I have to play them.

Then how can your opinion be trustworthy if you haven't experienced both games. I'll tell you my experience: when I searched the site for maps, characters, growths and content I literally said 'how the heck an fe game can be 12 chapters long?' I didn't understand it but gave it a chance. The maps are super long and it somehow kills its replay value, but there are save states and suspend. It's enjoyable, just give it a try.

FE4 has longass maps, but hey we're talking about a game made like 20 or more years ago. It didn't work and long maps aren't what we see nowadays. Its story is dramatic and good, its ost is beautiful and its characters are ok. Gameplay and mechanics are rusty but that's due to being old, so why bash it? Lol

On another note, I find FE7 to be the "classic" form of FE games. I found its tutorial appealing tbh, the game is among one of the most beginner friendly, teaching about the basics and guiding the player throughout the game. The story is pretty standard and classic, the ost is fitting and good overall, the characters and support are pretty good in comparison to Awakening and Fates. Yes, I grew up with Blazing Sword, so feel free to argue with me.

Another game that's similar to FE7 is PoR. Being beginner friendly and serving as a guide to the player along with base conversations are useful to build an attachment/bond to the player; and this is probably what I dislike about 3DS FE, it lacks this 'bond' to the player, and the Avatar system doesn't have the same appeal than these two games had, even if IS wants to make you think You are in the game, which is false anyways.

On another note this thread fans the flame of discontent among the fanbase.

Awakening. It was my first FE game but after playing the best chapters of FE10 and FE14: Conquest, it's unplayable for me. I tried to start another playthrough to see if it's really that bad and I gave up and went back to the other FE games as soon as I saw Chapter 4's "level design" (if you can even call it that, it looks more like a ROM hack by the same person who made Corrupt Theocracy). Even Sacred Stones has some interesting and fun maps, Awakening's maps were unmemorable and felt as bland and simple as the first couple chapters all throughout. I also think the Lunatic modes were badly designed, they were just Hard but with stupidly OP enemies, unlike HHM which was more balanced and fun. I think we can all agree that Awakening is the most popular game in the series, so yeah, I'd say it's the most overrated.

I'm actually quite impressed that this thread hasn't exploded in to a massive flame war and gotten locked by now.

Edited by kantoorfarina

Then how can your opinion be trustworthy if you haven't experienced both games. I'll tell you my experience: when I searched the site for maps, characters, growths and content I literally said 'how the heck an fe game can be 12 chapters long?' I didn't understand it but gave it a chance. The maps are super long and it somehow kills its replay value, but there are save states and suspend. It's enjoyable, just give it a try.

FE4 has longass maps, but hey we're talking about a game made like 20 or more years ago. It didn't work and long maps aren't what we see nowadays. Its story is dramatic and good, its ost is beautiful and its characters are ok. Gameplay and mechanics are rusty but that's due to being old, so why bash it? Lol

On another note this thread fans the flame of discontent among the fanbase.

I'm not knocking it because it's old - I'm knocking it because there's too much I find absolutely repulsive (the bloated maps are only one such thing). I will admit, I like its music, but that doesn't help when I hate literally nearly everything else about it, particularly the gameplay and characters, both of which can't be a good sign for my chances of liking a game.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

This thread proves that none of the games are overrated because there are plenty of people stating their dislike for all different games in the series. Maybe if you're only counting video game fans in general and not just Fire Emblem fans you could make an argument for Awakening (Fates doesn't seem to have quite as much hype around it as Awakening did) merely due to the degree of exposure it gets compared to other FEs.

Ya know? I'm gonna echo this. This thread really does show that none are really overrated, but a case can be made for Awakening for the reason stated.

I don't think sales are really a good way to measure a game's popularity, since just because someone bought it, it doesn't mean they liked it. And if I'm not mistaken, Fates has already outsold Awakening.

EDIT: And it can be noted that FE7 had some pretty good sales. It sold around 700,000-800,000 copies or something like that.

Edited by Matthewtheman

I don't think sales are really a good way to measure a game's popularity, since just because someone bought it, it doesn't mean they liked it. And if I'm not mistaken, Fates has already outsold Awakening.

EDIT: And it can be noted that FE7 had some pretty good sales. It sold around 700,000-800,000 copies or something like that.

It's not just sales. In general, Awakening is much more popular than other FE's. For example, Nowi has dialogue in one chapter of the main story and then she never appears again unless you do her supports and she has as big of a fanbase as all non-Ike PoR characters combined.

Whelp then I guess you're missing an opportunity, as not every game is appealing to every player.

Well, that's certainly something I can agree on - not every game is appealing to every player. But I don't feel like I'm going to be missing out on much. For the record, I don't dislike large maps, but FE4's maps in general are among the most poorly designed maps in the series, imho. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

You misunderstand it. Awakeing's release put gamers and FE fans into context: if Awakening is not a success, then the series dies, sort of a blackmail. IS and Nintendo practically forces people to get the game, and with all of the introductions it made new players to enter the series. Its praise is due to its 'success' nothing else.

In my eyes, FE has lost its essence with 3DS games. You can ask me, I have both Awakening and Fates benched.

Edited by Quintessence

In my eyes, FE has lost its essence with 3DS games. You can ask me, I have both Awakening and Fates benched.

I dunno, I feel like there is Fates and then there is conquest. Everything else aside I loved the maps in conquest and felt like it was a throwback to early FE games with its low dodge rates and emphasis on HP/Def.

I don't know if awakening is overrated per say, but I'm definitely tired of seeing it. It's hard for us vets not to feel that way, just because our own personal faves were poorly marketed (or never made it overseas).

Real hard to decide between 4 and 7, but I feel like the esteem for 7 has dropped off a lot since 4 or 5 years ago.

You can vote both, you know. And I'd disagree about FE7's esteem having dropped off, if this is anything to go by.

Do note that I made that GameFAQs topic with every intention of starting up a shitstorm. I don't take GameFAQs seriously.

I dunno, I feel like there is Fates and then there is conquest. Everything else aside I loved the maps in conquest and felt like it was a throwback to early FE games with its low dodge rates and emphasis on HP/Def.

Conquest has only a portion of it, and still isn't classic FE. See the characters, story and support dialogues. Maps, limited resources and good gameplay are not enough, you must consider the full package as a whole.

Conquest has only a portion of it, and still isn't classic FE. See the characters, story and support dialogues. Maps, limited resources and good gameplay are not enough, you must consider the full package as a whole.

Story doesn't matter after the first playthrough, characters are okay, you can play without supports.

If you really wanted to argue that it wasn't like classic FE you'd argue about skills being in it (those affect actual strategic gameplay), but if that's a part of new FE you like then it gets a pass I suppose.

FE 3/6 are my favorites. There is a lot to love in conquest and the best part is that the options to play it like the older titles is there. It does stand on it's own as a game.

I was grumpy like you and then I let myself approach it with an open mind. The series is starting to reach a point where we all have to decide if we move forward with it. It's scary. The old games aren't worth less because of the new ones and they won't go anywhere, but expecting the new ones be just like those isn't the answer.

Yup, the shift from historical records into a full blown character story make it really hard to really consider Conquest anywhere near classic FE, and this issue also applies for Awakening.

Edited by JSND