Most overrated Fire Emblem in your opinion

Katie

Which FE do you think is the most overrated?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE do you think is the most overrated?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE3
    • BSFE
    • FE4
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7
    • FE8
    • FE9
    • FE10
    • FE11
    • FE12
    • FE13
    • FE14 Birthright
    • FE14 Conquest
    • FE14 Revelation
    • None

I think FE14 Conquest is overrated for one simple reason: never before for any other FE game have I seen so many people flat out defending actions that are just morally wrong; shit up the other side and make them look like they are fucking awful; straight-up lie about the characters or the damn plot just to make their own side look better.

Now, I'm not saying all Hoshido fans are good, because we have our fair share of shitty fans (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), and I'm not saying people can't enjoy Conquest or its story. But to argue that it is the "morally superior" choice or that "things end up better if you pick Conquest" or pretend that in previous FE games characters who chose not to step away from the obviously evul bad guy were not heroes is just … ;/

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically all of the Fire Emblem Fates games. But more so Birthright and Revelation, especially Birthright.

I have yet to see anyone actually fully like Revelations tbh, considering even its gameplay is vastly inferior to Birthright and Conquest.

Edited by Glorious Nippon Steel

I think FE14 Conquest is overrated for one simple reason: never before for any other FE game have I seen so many people flat out defending actions that are just morally wrong; shit up the other side and make them look like they are fucking awful; straight-up lie about the characters or the damn plot just to make their own side look better.

Now, I'm not saying all Hoshido fans are good, because we have our fair share of shitty fans (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), and I'm not saying people can't enjoy Conquest or its story. But to argue that it is the "morally superior" choice or that "things end up better if you pick Conquest" or pretend that in previous FE games characters who chose not to step away from the obviously evul bad guy were not heroes is just … ;/

Yeah, I definitely see a lot of this on the Fates board at GameFAQs. I haven't played Fates yet myself, so I'm not sure how good any of the routes are, but GameFAQs definitely has a noticeable Conquest bias, which is kind of funny because Birthright has sold more in all regions. I guess the Birthright fans just stay away from gamefaqs's message boards, and I don't blame them, even though I frequent them myself.

FE 4 always seems to be heralded as the best FE and what all FE should aspire to be, and I really disagree.

The story is OK, but the maps are waayyy to long. Of the entire series, it is the only game I will NEVER play again. Don't get me wrong, 4 is a great game, but it's a giant slog. It's hard to get attached to gen 1 at all. When I had the time out of High School then man, I'd love to sit down and spend a day on FE 4 but with a job and responsibilities it's just a no go.

Great game, but it's not the best in the series.

I think I've seen the Tellius games to be heralded as the best in the series more often than Jugdral. With FE4 its story is often heralded as great, but people don't praise the gameplay that much (there are games with better gameplay, IMO).

I think I've seen the Tellius games to be heralded as the best in the series more often than Jugdral. With FE4 its story is often heralded as great, but people don't praise the gameplay that much (there are games with better gameplay, IMO).

I dunno. FE4's one of my favorites and I like it for the gameplay, because the story is pretty sucky IMO.

I have yet to see anyone actually fully like Revelations tbh, considering even its gameplay is vastly inferior to Birthright and Conquest.

Yeah, the only thing that I prefer in it over the others is that you get all of the characters. But I still like Conquest the best.

I dunno. FE4's one of my favorites and I like it for the gameplay, because the story is pretty sucky IMO.

I hold the opposite opinion. I adore the story but I don't think the gameplay's that special. The holy blood and the children system is fun, but other than that it's Seize Emblem.

Don't go bashing others just because they think your favorite FE is overrated.

Yet tons of people hail it as "teh best gaem evar!!!11!"(or at least the best FE)

Huh...

Anyway. I'd say the Tellius games are the most "overrated" if I really had to pick.

I find that generally overrated means one thinks something gets more praise than it deserves. In my case, I think FE7 is a good game, but overrated because much of the fanbase overexaggerates how good it is and ignores its flaws. I certainly don't think if one has a different opinion on this, that theirs isn't valid. I mainly created this poll because I was curious what others thought. Good point about a none option though, I think I'll add it.

Good suggestion. I've added a None option and allowed multiple choice now.

You just said that it gets more praise is that it deserves, because it has flaws like everything in this world. This is a stupid word that only exists to delegitimize people's praise for a thing. In a perfect world this word would be used to dissuade people from over hyping games to people. For example Undertale could've used that because if I was gonna take people at their word I should've expected the video game equivalent of the second coming. But no one uses the word this way, no one uses it to help people maintain realistic expectations for games, and to see that every game has someway it can improve. I only really see it used to say you like something too much, stop liking it so much.

If you want example of good use of the word I often say that FE 13 is overrated because some people would use it to delegitimize other games in the series. It's general praise was causing the rest of the series to be Underappreciated (which it still is, remember boys and girls only FE 13 and FE 14 are mainstream). I could say that the game is overhyped as well, I think some new comers the series were probably expecting too much when playing this game as well. But in no other aspect do I view this game is overrated as people do love it for a reason and it's a well-made game, even if I don't share their opinion.

TLDR; overrated is a stupid word, overhyped is a better word that serves the same purpose.

Edited by Locke087

I'm gonna say FE8. I think it's a good game, but the way it's major fans talk about it make it sound like a very different game then the one I bought. I found the game to be really difficult because it felt like the world map and grinding aspects gave IS the excuse to make the core chapters really long and filled to the brim with tough enemies (it doesn't help that villages are soooo hard to save). This is negated by the aforementioned grinding, but that takes a lot of time to do, and EVERY SKIRMISH HAS FREAKING FOG IN IT! Lastly, and this kind of points out a small flaw with theGBA games as a whole, the support system sucks. The conversations are great, but getting them feels near impossible.

My thoughts exactly. I'm just glad someone else feels the same animosity at times. My best friends don't usually go THAT far, but it did always bug me when they pulled the "he/she's just following orders" card when IMO a true hero would abandon that side instead of lying to save their skin until the very last moment (among other arguments). I'll admit I'm pretty biased towards Birthright, but when ALL of my best friends played Conquest, it got really hard not to get a little defensive during plot discussions.

I hold the opposite opinion. I adore the story but I don't think the gameplay's that special. The holy blood and the children system is fun, but other than that it's Seize Emblem.

Isn't Shadow Dragon more deserving of this title?

Huh...

Anyway. I'd say the Tellius games are the most "overrated" if I really had to pick.

They're definitely up there for me, though they are also among my absolute favorites. Same with FE4. Just because I like a game a lot doesn't mean I can't admit it's overrated.

As for my opinion, I think FE7 is overhyped. Its story is your standard FE story and with the exception of Hector I don't find many of the characters to be interesting. Granted, I haven't finished the game yet and things could improve but so far I'm not that impressed.

Edited by Levin's Scarf

I'm gonna say FE8. I think it's a good game, but the way it's major fans talk about it make it sound like a very different game then the one I bought. I found the game to be really difficult because it felt like the world map and grinding aspects gave IS the excuse to make the core chapters really long and filled to the brim with tough enemies (it doesn't help that villages are soooo hard to save). This is negated by the aforementioned grinding, but that takes a lot of time to do, and EVERY SKIRMISH HAS FREAKING FOG IN IT! Lastly, and this kind of points out a small flaw with theGBA games as a whole, the support system sucks. The conversations are great, but getting them feels near impossible.

I never found FE8 to be that difficult even on a no grind difficult mode run. You're probably using too many units. If you only limit yourself to like 10-15 units, you'll have a much easier time. I definitely agree about skirmishes and their fog, which is why I now exclusively use the tower for grinding. Here's a tip: the best way to grind in FE8 is to do the 1st floor of the tower repeatedly. The boss is basically a guaranteed level up. I definitely agree regarding the GBA support system. Awakening's massive improvement of the system is part of why I like it the best.

What's really weird about 6 is that the devs did program in some other objectives and just never used them in the main story and kept them in trial maps.

Aside from Idoun's map.

To this day I do not understand why this was done.

What's really weird about 6 is that the devs did program in some other objectives and just never used them in the main story and kept them in trial maps.

Aside from Idoun's map.

To this day I do not understand why this was done.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the final chapter. So FE6 barely isn't a seize emblem.

Before Awakening came around, I always said FE7 for this (couldn't ever understand why people liked it so much. I liked very little about it). But now...yeah, Awakening. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's amazing or incredible like some people have made it out to be. And it got way too much attention compared to other games in the series, even for how much it sold, imo.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the final chapter. So FE6 barely isn't a seize emblem.

By that logic, I don't think FE11 is either, since you just had to trash Medeus to win the final map there, no special chairs involved.

Unsure about the rest of the Seize Emblem

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I dont think FE13 is overrated if only because there's a pretty solid amount of haters who are not in the background at all when it comes to opinions on that game.

FE7 wins by virtue of rose tinted glasses everywhere, even vets give it way too much credit as a game. Terrible balance, terrible ranking system, terrible story, terrible maps everywhere, terrible forced tutorial and many popular characters are memelords that aren't far off the same stuff their fans will bash in FE13/14.

It's still a good game, but yeah, there's next to nobody who calls the game out on its flaws anymore.

Edited by Irysa