Between the Dreamworlds: Savers of the Apocalypse - Chapter 1

Enaluxeme

Fennel's mind once again wandered back to her days with her siblings. Perhaps this was what it felt like when a baby--nah, her brother was probably playing his usual pranks on her. Right?

"Five people in robes is totally going to blend in," Fennel grumbled sarcastically. "I suppose we can have someone go into a village and gather information, while the rest of us wait outside. Once we know where we are, we can formulate a better plan." She donned the robe, grimacing at its texture. "This thing definitely doesn't flatter my figure," she mumbled.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noel was rattled by the strange journey, but the change of scenery at least made things bearable. She then promptly adorned the cloak with ease. "It almost reminds me of wearing my old N.O.L. coat," she reminisced.

Noel then turned to Fennel. "Um... if we really wanted info fast, why not go together? We could... learn more if we asked a few different people at once." She hoped she was making a good point here, but Noel was really attempting to avoid the possibility of being nominated. Playing vanguard in an unfamiliar area was thought that made her nervous.

"I'm not sure how well the village will take outsiders, and five of us barging in will look strange," Fennel replied. "The fastest way to shut people up in my area was to look suspicious. WE know we're not going to cause trouble, but I can't say the villagers will agree." Fennel turned to Noel, and smiled. "Besides, you're probably the best-spoken of the lot of us, and older sis always told me that looking trustworthy was the first step to prying information out of people. Though I suppose you do have a point about traveling alone. How 'bout the guys and girls split up, and see what we can find? I didn't come here with money, so we'll probably have to camp somewhere tonight. One group can go to the village, while the other can look for a good spot to spend the night, and figure out what the local flora and fauna are like."

Shepard felt as though he were warming up to Fennel, regardless of how she felt about him. "Sounds like a good idea. I don't like being alone much, either, but all of us together does sound pretty fishy." It was at that moment Shepard realized his breather helmet was still on. He removed it before motioning Ricardo to follow him down to the village.

"We're all from different worlds. We could all be the best chefs in our own worlds and be near-lethal to each other in the kitchen simply due to us cooking different kinds of foods. Besides, are you just going to pick up some random mushroom and hope it isn't poisonous? No matter who cooks its safest to see what we can get from town first."

Seems there was now various thoughts about who to send to the village.

Ricardo would've weighted in, but he was still looking at the village itself, and examining it further.

While the village was too far to have a good look at it, Ricardo could see people roaming the streets, and he could see some more around the ponds, or in them, to be more precise. Surely there was no way to see their faces, but their clothes were long and colorful, reminiscent of the traditional ones of eastern cultures (though some of you may not recognize them).

Looking at the roads, one of them went in your general direction, but was covered by a hill just before reaching you. You could guess that by following the road you were on, you would eventually reach the other one and thus the village.

Noel blushed at Thyme's all-girl plan since it included her, but she already got part of what she wanted. Pressing further would most likely cause the group to bristle at her, and in-fighting was the last thing Noel wanted. So she shuffled over towards the road and said "...I'll wait over here until you're ready to go" and plopped down on the ground so her legs wouldn't get tired from standing about.

Her one regret was that she wouldn't get to cook tonight. The very thought of being trusted with the meals excited her inner passion for cooking.

Shepard walked up to where Ricardo was and pulled out his sniper rifle. "Rice paddies. Wherever we are, it seems to be based on eastern culture." Shepard puts it away. He didn't talk to Ricardo much while in the void, so he couldn't really gauge how staying with him would go.

"Eastern Culture?" asked Thyme, confused. Neither Ul'Dah or Gridania sounded like that and they were as 'east' as it got in her world. "No matter. You've got a rifle so you may not be the best. Whoever goes in should probably appear unarmed as well. Don't want them thinking we're bandits either. We should also probably do something before they spot us and start getting nervious at the five weird people in strange clothes talking to each other."

"You three should get going. We'll find something to do while you're down there. It didn't really say, but maybe we should use the orbs to communicate, as there aren't really any other ways for us to otherwise." Shepard flipped his hood, climbed a nearby tree, and pulled out his sniper rifle again to survey.

"I think I'm gonna look around a bit in this area," Ricardo said. "Probably in the other direction of the road or something like that."

Looking in other directions shows no other inhabited areas, but coltivated fields, some wooded areas and, following the roads, a bigger, paved road.

While at first Shepard didn't see anything worth mention, when going back to the village he noticed some commotion in the outskirts. A guy was pounched and fell on the ground, his assailant got to him and pulled him up again, and meanwhile other people formed a circle around them, without intervening.

Fennel sighed. I suppose this is where I'd tell them that I survived in one of the most hostile environments in my world, solo, because I learned how to identify unknown plants and animals, BUT I'm not sure if they'd be happy to be my test subjects. "Any direction that's not the way we came works for me," she said calmly.

"Well..." Noel began, "The town seems like the best choice for now, though we should go in away from the commotion. I don't think they should meet us when they're too excited"

As Noel was talking however, she heard quick footsteps behind her, and turned around to see Shepard rushing right towards the crowd.

"Ah!" Noel exclaimed. "O-or we just run after him and just improvise." She ran further ahead, essentially covering his flank. She wasn't about to let him dive head first into danger without someone to bail him out if need be.

"What the? Oh dear!" said Thyme, visibly shocked as she stepped out of Shepard's way rapidly. What the heck did he think he was doing? Even if the town was beating up an innocent rushing in like that was, doubtless, just gonna cause problems!

"Hey! Wait up!" she called as she rushed forwards, hoping that she'd be close enough behind him to at least ensuring that there wouldn't be a brawl.

"What in the--idiot," Fennel muttered under her breath. Rather than follow her companions, she tapped one of the bystanders on the shoulder. "Excuse me, but what's going on? I'm of the 'learn about the situation before interfering' camp, but my traveling companions have different ideas. I'd like to resolve everything with as little fuss as possible."

Geez, this group makes me look reserved and sane. The first rule of adventuring is to gather as much information as possible. I really hope I don't end up back home, because I'd have to drag their corpses out of the labyrinth.

Seems their plans got into an bit of a change, as now Shepard had jumped down the tree and was now rushing to the village as well.

So much for splitting up, Ricardo thought, before running to try to catch up to him. He stopped the moment he saw the crowd.

Huh, is something going on? He now proceeded to walk the remaining distance.