Between the Dreamworlds: Savers of the Apocalypse - Chapter 1

Enaluxeme

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while, Rufus didn't think that Shepard could count past 3. Hearing him correctly count the number of people in the room was a nice surprise. "Edward Elric? Is he a hero from your world or something? Can't say it's a name I'm familiar with."

To be perfectly honest, Rufus does recall hearing the name "Elric" somewhere. It's likely a coincidence though, since he's pretty sure the Elric he heard about didn't have Edward as their first name. Then again, Rufus does have a pretty short memory.

Fennel sorely wished she had her tools with her. Then, Shepard mentioned. . .something. "Hey Shepard, you know of this place? And if so, where's the best place to eat?" She looked at the bandit, a small smile on her lips. "Or if YOU happen to know any good restaurants, or libraries, or perhaps the name of whoever gave you that gun, that would help."

Fennel sorely wished she had her tools with her. Then, Shepard mentioned. . .something. "Hey Shepard, you know of this place? And if so, where's the best place to eat?" She looked at the bandit, a small smile on her lips. "Or if YOU happen to know any good restaurants, or libraries, or perhaps the name of whoever gave you that gun, that would help."

"If you like Xingese (Chinese) food, I can show you a place in town. My treat, if we take care of these guys. For libraries, you're not gonna find much in THIS country, unless you go into one of the noble's palaces. Trust me, I looked."

Rufus suddenly felt a gust of win. "Somebody there?" Rufus glanced at Shepard "You don't mind if I borrow this for a bit?" Motioning at the handgun Shepard handed him ealier. It has a trigger at least, shouldn't be too different from the ones in the military.

Not waiting for a response, Rufus quietly moves toward the source of the draft.

Edited by A Random Player

"W-wow... it's like they're not phased at all." Noel found it pretty impressive that they could be wary of this mysterious wind and still talk about food. Food... come to think of it, she hadn't eaten anything in a while. Noel figured a trip to that restaurant would be in order after a hard day like this. Wait, is it rubbing off on me?!

Back in reality, Noel sat restlessly as the wind picked up. She leaned to the side to get a peek in the same direction Rufus was heading.

Ricardo could've almost facepalmed at Thyme's choice of words.

But talk had shifted now that the unconscious guy was awake. He just paid attention as the conversation went on, though he found intriguing Shepard's sudden name dropping. Though there wasn't a chance to bring it up due to two reasons.

One, he was beaten to it. And two, now talk was about a gust of wind. Some were getting cautious about it, and Ricardo decided to be no different. Despite the little time given to recharge, he figured it would almost compensate for the little energy he spent, so he was ready to switch to his suit even if it would be overpreparing.

Rather than follow Rufus, Fennel stayed put. The last thing she wanted was for the bandit to take the opportunity to escape. Using any of my formulas in this room would cause a lot of collateral damage. . .hope Noel and Ricardo are on point.

Thyme sighed softly as she shook her head. "Noel. You have big guns. Shoot where the nice man is pointing. If it's a wisp of wind, nothing different than if Shep had fired. If it's not, well, it's gonna have a lot of bullet holes."

"Huh... Oh yeah! M-my bullets ignore walls! Good thinking Thyme!" Noel stood up and circled around rufus. She held her guns to the wind and said "I'm sorry about this, but you should have knocked! Type II!"

Noel fires Bloom Trigger in the wind's general direction.

Hearing a shot ring out in such tight quarters as this made Shepard uneasy. He wanted so badly to yell at Noel for firing randomly, at wind no less. He didn't, as he had to keep focus on it, in case Noel's attack made it do something unexpected.

Even as Rufus got closer to the room where the gust came from, he heard nothing but the wind itself.

Noel's shot was loud, especially considering the closed space and that everyone present was on edge and trying to hear any minimal noise. Aside from a few ears ringing though, Noel's intervention changed nothing: no hole was left in the walls, nobody was hit and the only noise was still that of the wind.

Perhaps one of the people Rufus had given shelter to had just opened a window?

Rufus was right in front of the room. The door was half-open and, from what he could see from there, absolutely nothing was out of place.

Edited by Enaluxeme

Rufus was surprised when one of the girls suddenly moved in front of him and even more so when she fired her gun. *BANG* Since it happened so quickly Rufus wasn't able to give a proper reaction before pausing a bit and assessing the situation. Once he does though, Rufus became angry.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR!?" And I thought Shepard was the idiot... Fortunately, there didn't seem to be anybody in the room, and perhaps somewhat strangely Rufus can't see any bullet holes at the direction the girl just fired, though he's pretty sure that she didn't fire a blank. Somewhat calmer (but still angry), Rufus scolded the girl "Are you aware of the responsibility you have when firing a gun!? What if you had fired on one of the villagers!? Are you TRYING to kill somebody, or do you just get off by firing your gun!?" Rufus sighed. Is everybody from other worlds this dumb, or is it just my luck to get stuck with the idiots...

Noel fell to her knees and hung her head ashamedly. "I-I'm sorry! I was caught in the heat of the moment a-and I figured if something was on the other side of the wall it would have been the source!" I should have known better. This world doesn't have the same dangers as mine. Weapons like mine must seem divinely powerful next to theirs.

"...I'll go check the old fashioned way." She knew she'd have to make up for this somehow, so she'd start with righting her wrong. Noel laid her weapons on the floor and walked slowly to the doorway. A perimeter sweep would let her confirm if the wind was generated from out there... and allow her to take responsibility if Rufus' worst case scenario actually did happen.

"Of course she's aware of the responsibility she has when firing it, as I do when I told her to do so. But what? It's okay for you to ask Shepard for his gun to fire at something to see if it's a breeze despite having your own perfectly capable combat skills while it's wrong for me to ask the girl whom didn't attack us to simply cut into the heart of the matter? Besides, if she DID hit someone who was innocent, while I'd request privacy, I can heal them."

"Problem is, firearms aren't like any other weapon. Swords, magic, bows, what have you, all require years of training to use even mildly effectively. Guns are stupidly easy to operate, regardless of what universe or time period. Guns require no skill to do devastating damage to someone, even if the target survives with superficial injury. Noel, holster your pistol and don't take it out until I say so. I might be gung ho, but that doesn't mean I lack the discretion to use my weapons." Shepard could hardly believe he was starting to look like the smartest person in the room, even against the likes of Rufus. Thinking back on food, Shepard realized the group was without money, meaning food was still out of their reach for now.

"Of course she's aware of the responsibility she has when firing it, as I do when I told her to do so. But what? It's okay for you to ask Shepard for his gun to fire at something to see if it's a breeze despite having your own perfectly capable combat skills while it's wrong for me to ask the girl whom didn't attack us to simply cut into the heart of the matter? Besides, if she DID hit someone who was innocent, while I'd request privacy, I can heal them."

The other girl's reply made Rufus furious again. "Do you honestly think it's that freaking simple!? What if the girl had shot the person in the head? I suppose YOU would have no problem 'accidentally' killing somebody..." Rufus was about to rant more before Shepard started talking in a way that Rufus must admit, sounds a lot more sensible that what Rufus was thinking of saying. Well, this is embarrassing...

Rufus decided to take a deep breath. Before wordlessly, following the girl who went outside earlier, who also seemed to be quite shaken. Maybe I was a little too hard on her there...

Noel heard everything they said, but still ignored Shepard's request. She was tired of fighting for one day, or at the very least for now. Some time away from Bolverk was what she thought she needed. She started around the corner opposite from where she fired. Noel got a better look at the nearby houses. Some homeowners were discussing the noise heard, but they weren't looking her way at present. So far so good, no massive investigation yet. Walking by the window, Noel could still feel the gusts in the room, despite the window not being open much.

She stopped walking once she heard footsteps at the front of the house. They followed me out here. I guess that makes sense. She turned around and waited to be found. If they guess she came this way that is.

Wait, through walls? She's not really gonna...?

But it was too late, Noel had already fired. But once more, whatever that may or may not need to be said was done before he could get the chance. And now Noel had left the house, followed by Rufus.

Perhaps it was late to bring up, but now Ricardo had the chance to do so:

"Instead of having made such an action, how about we first would've investigated more closely?" He said.

Reaching out to his gundam core, he activated it.

Now time to do a quick scan of the area.

So what if the other guy would now see he was the one inside the suit. At this point it was better to be done with the whole wind business, considering what it had triggered.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Indeed, the wind simply came from the outside. Noel saw nothing suspicious as she went by the window from the outside, and nothing was wrong in the room when looking through the window, still open.

Ricardo, on the other hand, wanted to be sure, using a scanner on the house. Pointing the scanner around unsurprisingly revealed that most of the forniture was made of wood and that there were signs of living organisms in it(termites?). The scanner also reacted to the body heat of the presents, making a bodycount simple, since outsiders would be easy to distinguish from anyone in the house. There's the bandit, Thyme and Fennel, Rufus(until he exited the building), Shepard and... two more people. The two unexpected traces seemed to come from two persons laying on the roof, right above the incriminated room.

Looking around the outside of the house, Rufus can see that no one was injured, and while the sound of gunshot turned a few heads, most of the villagers returned to their businesses once they saw Rufus. Rufus was relieved. Looking at the girl, Rufus tried to apologize.

"Listen uhh... (What's her name again?) I'm sorry for yelling earlier. I mean what you did was wrong, but uhh... I could've said it better. (I'm really bad at this) So uhh... I'm sorry for saying those things earlier, I wasn't really thinking straight at that point."

Noel was surprised by his sudden change in tone. It was obvious he'd want to put this behind him eventually, but she didn't expect it to be this soon. Noel cleared her throat and than said, "You don't have to act like what you said is wrong. Who am I to walk into your home and fire a gun? Your reaction was believable."

Noel then stared right in Rufus' eyes. "So... tell me what I can do for you instead! I-I'm not very good at much, but I can't let you remember me as "Noel the Irresponsible" or something like that!" She stood at attention like the former soldier she was and awaited his response.

Uh, guys, we have a bad guy in the room, and y'all want to get cozy NOW? Fennel mentally screamed, mostly at how. . .inefficient everyone was. Beat the answers out of the bandit, lay a plan, THEN get buddy-buddy. But what do I know? She kept an eye on the bandit but otherwise stayed silent.