Sun and Moon Competitive Discussion

ZoesMad

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bewear is the guy to watch when we get move tutors. It'll be incredible if it gets Drain Punch.

Doesn't the game come already completely finished? I thought gamefreak didn't do DLC considering they never did it for ORAS or XY (not even to improve connectivity btw ORAS and XY)

Also I thought Marshadow would make one of your lists, JSND. It seems to have pretty good overall stats, with 125 atk and 125 speed, coupled with a nice bulk of 90/80/90. Although i guess it's typing hurts it.

Edited by SlayerX

Marshadow isnt on the list because its unreleased

That thing is literally perfect. Its basically Mega Loppuny or Pirouette Melloeta as a normal pokemon or Darkrai with 100% Accurate Focus Blast or something crazy like that, and it somehow manage to avoid the #1 flaw of any Ghost typing that tried to do physical sweeping - Spectral Thief is a 90 BP Ghost move

The only "flaw' it had is the same one as Mega Loppuny, - it doesn't hit hard enough to really make you wonder if its power is balanced which makes Clefable, Mega Sableye, or Hippowdon able to stop it without stats boost and it only had Bulk Up to do so

I guess since all you need is CC + Shadow Strike + HP Ice, you can carry 4th slot Will-o-wisp?

Edited by JSND

Well, they never really used Soul Dew anyways since as I understand they aren't that good in Ubers and Life Orb is now the strictly better option for OU. Speaking of Lati@s right now, they actually feel really bad in the current meta. There are way too many things to check them and overall their speed and power just isn't what it used to be. They're definitely not UU or anything crazy, but I certainly think they're far less viable than they've ever been. After Aegi/Phero/Gene bans they'll be a little bit better, but the Tapus run this game right now, and the Lati's are far worse off for it.

Uhhh Uber Latios and Latias is dead and this is HUGE because they used to be the Kyogre answer.

OU Latios atm kinda prefers Multi Attack AOA because a bunch of Tapu limits the generic 2 Attack - Roost Defog set of Gen 6

Soul Dew problem is basically its weaker than LO and Latios movepool got kinda buffed with Hidden Power Fire with 31 Speed IV and Bolt being possible way to abuse Electric Field so choosing move is harder + Soul Dew become a bit less of a mindless choice than it could be back in gen 6

The best i can say about Soul Dew is it makes Mega Latios look more like a trash than it already is since they have roughly same power difference, but Mega uses Mega slot locking you from using Mega Scizor or your quick entry ticket to 110 Metagame or Mega Loppuny(135 Speed is HUGE now that we have 130 Speed Tapu Koko)

Edited by JSND

Uhhh Uber Latios and Latias is dead and this is HUGE because they used to be the Kyogre answer.

OU Latios atm kinda prefers Multi Attack AOA because a bunch of Tapu limits the generic 2 Attack - Roost Defog set of Gen 6

Soul Dew problem is basically its weaker than LO and Latios movepool got kinda buffed with Hidden Power Fire with 31 Speed IV and Bolt being possible way to abuse Electric Field so choosing move is harder + Soul Dew become a bit less of a mindless choice than it could be back in gen 6

The best i can say about Soul Dew is it makes Mega Latios look more like a trash than it already is since they have roughly same power difference, but Mega uses Mega slot locking you from using Mega Scizor or your quick entry ticket to 110 Metagame or Mega Loppuny(135 Speed is HUGE now that we have 130 Speed Tapu Koko)

Electric Terrain actually doesn't help Latios/as at all since they're levitating, FYI. It only gives the boosts to grounded mons. Mega Latias might still be an alright wincon though I think, since it's stupid fat.

And uhh I found a showdown glitch involving Psychic Terrain earlier today. If you bring Lele in after a KO the turns don't display correctly. Just a heads up for anyone out there who finds themselves in a position where that might matter. Not saying that would ever happen of course feels bad man I imagine this is also true for other terrain effects too but this is definitely the one that could screw you up bad. Or, I could just be missing something, if anyone knows let me know. Relevant parts at 7:14 and 12:03.

I have no idea how I want to go about using Silvally; its stats are so even that I'm unsure of how to specialize it. I've got a Hasty nature, so I think I'll either go for a quick physical or special sweeper, but I don't know which would be best - I'm considering making it either Steel or Ground to deal with the Tapus and Tapo Koko in particular.

I have no idea how I want to go about using Silvally; its stats are so even that I'm unsure of how to specialize it. I've got a Hasty nature, so I think I'll either go for a quick physical or special sweeper, but I don't know which would be best - I'm considering making it either Steel or Ground to deal with the Tapus and Tapo Koko in particular.

Silvally is one of the weirdest mons we got for sure. I would maybe even suggest Poison though if you're going the physical route, since then it would really mess up the Tapus w/ Multi Attack. Poison in and of itself isn't actually all that bad defensively right now either especially with Pheromosa and the like running the game. Maybe like Multi Attack/Parting Shot/Flamethrower/Ice Beam? It seems like it could be an alright pivot but it could definitely benefit from Wish support/Grassy Terrain support, or really anything to give it some longevity.

How is everyone finding Z-Moves to be? I'm thinking that they have more potential than we're currently seeing to really effect the metagame, especially for lure sets. I think I posted a team in here with Grassium Z Heatran which is pretty good in and of itself. Another one I've been having success with lately is Darknium Z Night Slash Kartana, it deals 88% min to Aegislash which is pretty hilarious and has a good chance to flat OHKO after rocks. Leaf Blade + Z-Move is a guaranteed KO. Marowak-A, another good check just gets cleanly blown away. Not even to mention Z-Conversion which basically transforms Porygon-Z into mini Arceus at the cost of one turn. +1 to all stats and a customize-able type? If this dude got priority he'd break the meta in half I swear.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but eviolite Type: Null seems interesting, especially since it gets U-Turn.

Could make a really good defensive pivot.

Turns out Silvally is

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-482368534

Pretty good

On the other Hand Z Move is one of the most underappreciated mechanic of this generation and i wish people start using them. Its kinda ridiculous how much game impact you get from having 1 surprise nuke, especially on something that you didn't expect like say Landorus

Edited by JSND

I was just thinking about some team set-ups with the Tapus, when I thought of something, wouldn't Tapu Fini make a great partner for sweepers?

A lot of people say that Fini's terrain is the most useless because it negates status effects, but it might work well with sweepers such as Mega Lopunny, Starmie, Garchomp and Azumarill.

Sweepers dread status effects most of all, and most of them don't waste inflicting them.

Granted I know some of these examples aren't always sweepers, Garchomp may not fully appreciate Misty Terrain and some sweepers such as Starmie, Gengar and Mega Gardevoir may use status effect, but I think they could without them.

Edited by Water Mage

Problem with that is Fini did not really give you a free switch without doing a double switch

Tapu Koko is such a great partner for ZyGOD for essentially this. It can volt switch or u turn to go into ZyGOD and ZyGOD beat most things that can beat Tapu Koko

Speaking of which Zygarde is a monster

Edited by JSND

Can a Z-power be knocked off?

Speaking of which, simulation started very quickly yet people haven't got so deep into the game's mechanics just yet. Is the real game actually being simulated? It was hilarious when Crystal_ found out 20 years after the games' release that you can't paralyse normal-types with Body Slam in RBY...

Makes me wonder why GameFreak won't just publish a detailed description of each game's mechanics; after all, they run the official VGC tournaments or what do you call those thingamajigs.

Can a Z-power be knocked off?

Speaking of which, simulation started very quickly yet people haven't got so deep into the game's mechanics just yet. Is the real game actually being simulated? It was hilarious when Crystal_ found out 20 years after the games' release that you can't paralyse normal-types with Body Slam in RBY...

Makes me wonder why GameFreak won't just publish a detailed description of each game's mechanics; after all, they run the official VGC tournaments or what do you call those thingamajigs.

I think i had a Hariyama use knockoff on decidueye who had a z-move item, and he could still use it so I don't think so. Specially cause i don't think they actually hold the item (since it doesn't disappear from your bag).

Pyukumuku is actually really good holy crap!

People are so afraid of KOing it and taking Innards Out damage so it causes a lot of switches. It's also not a total momentum sink because it gets Baton Pass. Z-Memento is also really solid.

Pyukumuku is actually really good holy crap!

People are so afraid of KOing it and taking Innards Out damage so it causes a lot of switches. It's also not a total momentum sink because it gets Baton Pass. Z-Memento is also really solid.

I wanted to second this and say that I highly underestimated this guy at first glance. I stand by calling him Destiny Bond in pokemon form though, but he has hella sick support moves and if you OHKO it you probably die too. He's very weird to play around since if you do less than 50% he can recover and if you do 100% you die so ideally you need to deal about 75% or have some status going.

I'm sure we're all aware of the obviously busted stuff that got introduced this gen, but I wanted to go on record to say Lele + Mega Zam is actually the most broken thing to come out of SuMo and I'm completely serious. The only two things that can handle it are 1.) Pheromosa which is likely to be banned and 2.) Choice Scarfers that hit 439 and above. Rain isn't even really an answer because of the new Mega Speed mechanics (come in, trace Swift Swim, kill) and team support, so realistically you HAVE to have a Scarfer on every team now. I'm posting this team here to keep it a little more lowkey, but eventually this is going to spread I promise. It's so hilariously easy to get wins with this, and with all the broken stuff flying around right now Trace is godly, with fun stuff like Beast Boost/Soul Heart 'Zam, Protean Zam, etc. This team is legit about 25-0 for me right now both Pre and Post bank, I tried to play until a loss last night and I had to force myself to quit because the loss never came. Try this for yourself so that when it comes time to vote you'll already know what this is all about lol

[spoiler=Broken]Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs

Ability: Psychic Surge

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

- Psyshock

- Moonblast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Focus Blast

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite

Ability: Magic Guard

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Psychic

- Focus Blast

- Shadow Ball

- Dazzling Gleam

Mamoswine @ Life Orb

Ability: Thick Fat

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Icicle Crash

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers

Ability: Overcoat

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Impish Nature

- Foul Play

- Roost

- Defog

- U-turn

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe

Careful Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Will-O-Wisp

- Earthquake

- Shadow Bone

Greninja @ Life Orb

Ability: Protean

Timid Nature

- Spikes

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

- Dark Pulse

The idea of this team is very simple: support Mega Zam to sweep in as many circumstances as possible. Even with Trollbug running around right now, Base 150 Speed is more than fast enough to outspeed 99.9% of the non-scarfed meta. With Psychic Terrain being introduced and preventing priority, Mega Zam recieved a huge buff to its sweeping potential, as most Zam sweeps could be cut short easily with Fake Out/Sucker Punch/Priority of choice. Not so anymore, meaning the only thing you truly have to fear are scarfers, and something with a really trolly speed tier around let's say 151. As if this weren't enough of a buff, Psychic Terrain also generously applies a 50% boost to all grounded mons using Psychic Type attacks, meaning that not only is Zam nearly impossible to revenge kill, he also hits like a living, breathing Fatman while doing it. Unfortunately, Zam does not OHKO everything in sight with coverage moves alone, so I decided to make this a hazard stack team to help out with that a bit. The basic strategy is to get Hazards up ASAP and force a lot of switches with Lele until everything is whittled to the point that Zam can sweep. Generally, this just means SR + 1 Spike, for the record. From there, your team generally has enough offensive pressure to force the necessary switches, with Mandibuzz and Alolawak as the only two "passive" mons on the team, although they are just as important as the rest. Get hazards, force switches, attack, win with Zam, repeat lol.

Tapu Lele is the main breaker for the squad, sporting a hilarious Specs Specs Psyshock to deal a nice 70% on a "resisted hit." With Fairy dual typing, you'd be hard pressed to switch into a Dark Type for fear of Moonblast sending you straight to the Shadow Realm. HP Fire is to kill things like Scizor and Aegislash a little bit faster (though bulky M-Sciz is 3HKO and Aegi is 4HKO, less with hazard support). Ideally, you break early on with Lele and then preserve for a last ditch Psychic Surge to support your other members. Lele at best is killing something every time it comes in, and at worst creates a 50/50 where you are heavily favored to at the very least deal some significant damage to something. 95 Speed isn't that bad and Lele has decent special bulk, so make sure to use that for all that it's worth.

Mega Zam is probably the most dangerous Mega right now, with proper team support of course. Psychic is for that little bit of extra power over Psyshock; you already have Lele to hit on the physical side anyways. With Psychic Terrain support, there is precious little that can switch into your Psychics, and even less than can take what is basically a Specs Psychic off a 170 base Sp.Atk followed by a coverage move. With all the Ultra Beasts/Magearna running around, you'd be surprised how easily you can pick up Beast Boost/Soul Heart and just win immediately, as if this wasn't ludicrous enough. Oh, and if you line up your Psychic Terrain correctly, Zam is no longer weak to priority either. Neato. Blast/Ball/Gleam rounds out the set, providing the coverage to hit the things you need to in the meta right now. Alternatively, you could run Psychic/HP Fire/S.Ball/Dazzling Gleam if you really hate Scizor/Ferrothorn but don't want to risk Focus Blast. FB is the choice to hit things hard regardless of prediction, at the cost of having to use Focus Blast. It should also be noted that choosing to forgo Focus Blast will leave you significantly worse off against the likes of Bisharp, Heatran, and especially Kyruem-B.

*Mamoswine is here for rocks support, and to keep offensive pressure. Most teams don't like to play the prediction game vs. Ground/Ice coverage, and if they do have a response it tends to be pretty heavily telegraphed before hand. Even if this guy fell to UU in ORAS he's still a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Although the team isn't particularly Zygarde weak, having a great check to both DD and SubCoil in the back is really nice. Adamant with Life Orb hits deceptively hard, allowing the 2HKO on things such as Sp.Def Skarm after rocks, while also beating other prominent walls such as Hippo and Toxapex 1v1. Priority is also really nice, but be mindful of your Terrain turns.

Mandibuzz is here because Aegislash is in the tier. Additionally, this guy prevents you from insta-losing in the face of Zard X or DD Gyara thanks to Foul Play with a Phys.Def spread. Mandi provides some appreciated Defog support if things go south, though with hazards of your own it's far more likely your opponent will defog for you. U-Turn for momentum and Roost for recovery. Rocky Helmet is another option for the item slot to punish predicted U-Turns in combination with hazards, but be warned that you'll need to Roost far more frequently allowing for more free turns on your opponents end.

Alolawak is here as a hard stop to Tapu Koko and other less threatening Electrics running around such as Xurkitree. Since the team is generally pretty frail, spreading burns around can be pretty game changing at times. Additionally, the threat of Flare Blitz is great to help check Steels, or at least force switches and rack up that hazard damage. Remember, the aim is to sweep with Zam so any time your opponent is forced to take another round of hazards you are that much closer to a sweep. This guy also does a good job of checking the likes of Pheromosa, Magearna, and Genesect in Post Bank.

The final member of this team is none other than Greninja. The frog is OP as ever, though he was knocked down a peg or two on the totem pole since last time. He is still, however, the best offensive spiker in my opinion with his ability to force an absurd number of switches and incredibly unpredictable coverage. I decided that the standard Pump/Beam/Pulse works the best for this team, however, covering a lot of mons that other members miss, and checking Aegislash without Sacred Sword. Spikes are awesome obviously, but the amount of damage Greninja dishes out offensively is not to be understated either. As a public service, I feel the need to point out that Battle Bond is trash and that you should never use it so long as Protean is legal.

*In Post Bank you should use RP Lando-I, Dual Dance Lando-T, or Scarf Lando-T (after Lando-I inevitably gets the boot) since Alolawak can learn Stealth Rocks post bank. AlakaLele is the future of this game, mark my words. It's actually hilariously broken in every conceivable way and I'm convinced that the only reason more people aren't talking about this is because they haven't noticed yet.

[spoiler='Replays [Pre and Post Bank]']http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484112215

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484116555

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484074577

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484065918

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484058088

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484086053

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484144364

Edited by Deltre

Well, first good game with my VGC team has arrived. I had two more beforehand, one was super one-sided and not worth showing, and the other... I made some really dumb plays and lost pretty much right away.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-484708383

The team is a modified version of the earlier version I posted, and I think I still have a bit more modding to do. Dazzling Gleam on Tapu Lele will probably leave for Energy Ball, and I haven't even used Lycanroc yet.

On another note, this team pretty much completely walls Tapu Koko/Raichu. Lele takes little-nothing from Koko, and neither can really touch Mudsdale. A crit Psychic from Raichu did ~45% to Mudsdale I believe.

Here's the team, if you're curious.

Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Accelerock
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
Starmie @ Light Clay
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spotlight
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Protect
Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- High Horsepower
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
Tapu Lele @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam
Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Burn Up
- Double-Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
Drampa @ Yache Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Edited by Emerson

@Deltre: dat U-Turn support on a Tapu Lele and Greninja with Marowak lol. That team is actually so dirty

I kinda want to outdirty that version by somehow including Hoopa Unbound for lulz

Edited by JSND

@Deltre: dat U-Turn support on a Tapu Lele and Greninja with Marowak lol. That team is actually so dirty

I kinda want to outdirty that version by somehow including Hoopa Unbound for lulz

Thanks man :) Hoopa-U with Lele support sounds equally hilarious lol. Get some nice Band Band Zen Headbutt action lol. Or god forbid Specs Psychic. I can't think of a single switch in lmao.

Edit: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 229-270 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

D:

Edited by Deltre