Worst Combat Units in PoR?

NJ7009

82 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Combat unit in PoR?

Sothe, Rolf, Rhys, Mist. Mist takes a bit too much effort to be a good combat unit, Sothe is self-explanatory, Rolf starts way too bad, Rhys is like Lilina from FE6 but plagued by no combat at first and not getting light anima tomes

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright then. So in addition to Mia, I am going with Sothe, Rolf and Bastian. Rolf starts extremely weak with only average growths and is stuck in a class that just isn't very useful. It doesn't help that he also grows slow due to archers being mostly restricted to player phase. Bastian isn't exactly awful but he is just kinda lackluster at his jointime. He is pretty slow and doesn't hit all that hard either. He does have a high strength stat for a mage but having them use knives is just a lost cause and for tomes it's just plain overkill. And of course him having knives means that he has no access to staffs.

That was more directed at whoever voted for her, rather than you.

Ah okay. I just wanted to make sure that I don't contribute to the bad reputation of Jagens.

Edited by BrightBow

I like using them on mages, since each school is its own weapon category.

Ehh, I don't think wasting an Arms Scroll on a mage is worth it when their ranks for the magic types they don't specialize in get bumped up to D when they promote anyhow.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ehh, I don't think wasting an Arms Scroll on a mage is worth it when their ranks for the magic types they don't specialize in get bumped up to D when they promote anyhow.

You could do it post-promo to get access to different siege tomes for instance.

You could do it post-promo to get access to different siege tomes for instance.

Yep, that's one of the major reasons I do it. I only usually use two mages max, so if I want full access to all the magic types, I have to feed a scroll or two to someone, since raising magic weapon levels takes forever in PoR.

Yep, that's one of the major reasons I do it. I only usually use two mages max, so if I want full access to all the magic types, I have to feed a scroll or two to someone, since raising magic weapon levels takes forever in PoR.

Yeah pretty much. It's also a better use for the scrolls than trying to make Mist a combat unit (her defence will still be bad, and whiffing Sonic Sword and Runesword attacks will drive you mad).

Okay NOW it is multiple choice :P

Alright, then it's Sothe, Rolf, Shinon and Rhys. I considered Mist, too, but having her wield the Sonic Sword is just too much fun! ;)

I find the Laguz mechanic is general cumbersome to play with, although I like a few of the characters as characters enough that I use them anyway, so I added the weakest in my opinion to my weak unit tally, in addition to Bastian.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, August 22, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, August 22, 2016 - No reason given

Sorry, posted in wrong thread by mistake.

Edited by Rezzy

Sothe. He's stuck to the worst weapon-type bar none and can't promote and, to top it off, his caps aren't that good. At least Rhys and Rolf can go around blasting from 2-range and get the occasional kill. Sure, you can ***** about how much work it can take, but it's at least a positive that Sothe really doesn't have.

Mia got two votes!? O_O

Ok, she's not as awesome as in 10 but still.

Vantage + sword with high critchance make her great.

She's also one of the better magic sword users in this game.

Which would actually be notable if not for her generally being too weak for her preemptive strike to mean much.

I don't really find Rhys to be a bad unit overall. If he was just stuck to Light Magic, yeah, but he's a healer, which automatically makes him at least decent in my book. At least he can use his magic stat and can attack at range, unlike Mist. If I remember correctly, Light Magic uses the same weapon rank as staves, and he has no competition for Light tomes. If we're going strictly by offense and not taking healing utility into account, then yeah, Rhys and Mist could be considered bad.

To give any idea of what I mean, Bastian would have been decent, if he was a Staff user. I have no idea why they gave both Sage prepromotes Knives.

My vote, like almost everyone else's, went to Sothe. Stuck in a terrible class with absolutely no range, a crappy weapon type and a bratty face and personality that does him no favours either. No wonder people hate him in RD, lol. I've actually used some of the worse units like Lucia, but she honestly isn't as bad as some people make her out to be. ><

My picks:

-Sothe. Pretty much self explanitory. Bad weapon, bad bases, bad caps.

-Rolf. Requires so much effort to get off the ground for debatable worth. His effective damage on fliers is not as good as other games' archers either.

-Ena. Poor movement, a long wait to transform, and locked to 1 range. Not enough strength at base to be another Ashnard killer either.

-Nasir. Slightly better than Ena but will still take 20 years to actually see combat.

-Brom. Unlike Gatrie, he doesn't get free earlygame deployment to do anything. Has barely improved bases and also has worse growths than Gatrie, but both are kneecapped by being knights. Would have been good for the early defense maps but he comes at the same time as the beginning of the mass mount stomp.

-Volke. Better than Sothe, but knives are really that bad.

-Elincia. Amazing support unit, but without rigging every level up with strength the Amiti is just window dressing. She could do some magic sword thing like Mist but comes too late to build up a weapon rank unless you saved both arms scrolls for her.

-Lucia. The worst swordmaster in the game. Comes extremely late with worse bases than Stefan.

-Rhys. Support only. Light tomes suck only slightly less than knives.

-Mist. Great for support but requires so much investment to use magic swords. At least she comes early enough to build sword ranks.

Okay so the final picks (which I determined by selecting those who got over five votes) are:

Sothe (by quite the landslide. I'm not surprised.)

Rolf

Volke

Shinon

Bastian

Rhys

Although there are over four units here, Bastian and Shinon only show up towards the late game and are hardly going to help much so I decided to add them in anyway. I will probably upload the run in a different thread for those who care :P

I wonder if a solo Sothe run is even possible. (Apart from the cheapness that prevents 90% of your units from hurting the end boss.)

-Ena. Poor movement, a long wait to transform, and locked to 1 range. Not enough strength at base to be another Ashnard killer either.

-Nasir. Slightly better than Ena but will still take 20 years to actually see combat.

Base Ena with Resolve can defeat Ashnard, which is useful if the RNG gives you a terrible Ike or you're doing a challenge which results in him being unused or underlevelled.

Base Ena with Resolve can defeat Ashnard, which is useful if the RNG gives you a terrible Ike or you're doing a challenge which results in him being unused or underlevelled.

True, that's pretty much the only reason to use Ena/Nasir as your main Ashnard killer though. Resolve is still an opportunity cost for an otherwise meh unit with special priveleges.