What is your view on video game cheating?

Zerxen

Like I said, glitches are a lot fuzzier than say loading up your action replay and hacking on godmode or infinite money or whatever. You could probably also argue for exceptions on repeat playthroughs, but as far as I'm concerned the initial run (at very least) should be a pure "as intended" experience.

I think the prevailing question is still "why?"

I mean, I agree on a personal level, just not a general level.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, glitches are a lot fuzzier than say loading up your action replay and hacking on godmode or infinite money or whatever. You could probably also argue for exceptions on repeat playthroughs, but as far as I'm concerned the initial run (at very least) should be a pure "as intended" experience.

Okay, I can better understand your perspective now. At the same time, I don't think most people are glitching their way through a game during their first playthrough (maybe sequence breaking or taking advantage of some balance oversights, but nothing I would consider destroying the integrity of the game), so it doesn't seem like an issue to me.

I avoid it, especially for multiplayer. However, if it's my 3rd or 4th run of a single player game (If I"m actually able to hack/cheat lol), I might play around a little (Make Bors a demon dragon, Give Eirika another rapier, etc).

Edited by Limstella

I think the prevailing question is still "why?"

I mean, I agree on a personal level, just not a general level.

Why don't we allow people to cheat on their school tests? Obviously not the multiplayer tests (where grading is on a curve), but surely we should allow them to do so on the single player tests right? It's not hurting anybody, and I'm sure they'd have more fun if they could use their calculator on a "no calculators allowed" math test to get done quicker and go back to goofing off on their cell phones.

Why don't we allow people to cheat on their school tests? Obviously not the multiplayer tests (where grading is on a curve), but surely we should allow them to do so on the single player tests right? It's not hurting anybody, and I'm sure they'd have more fun if they could use their calculator on a "no calculators allowed" math test to get done quicker and go back to goofing off on their cell phones.

This is a pretty unrelated scenario. Tests are made for a specific purpose: to gauge progress for grading. Cheating on something like a test is not something done recreationally.

Do you realize that what you're vilifying is the equivalent of using fast-forward on a movie to skip a really boring part. I mean, the director intended for you to watch the whole movie, right?

I can't fathom why someone wouldn't be okay with someone doing whatever they want with something they bought within reason. Pokémon Emerald has a boring Pokédex, so I am disrespecting Masuda by using a GameShark to get myself a Misdreavus?

the difference here is that school tests actually matter for something beyond entertainment

Tests are made for a specific purpose: to gauge progress for grading.

And video games are challenges to be conquered. They test the player's mastery of the controls and other elements of gameplay, and reward or punish them accordingly.

And video games are challenges to be conquered. They test the player's mastery of the controls and other elements of gameplay, and reward or punish them accordingly.

Or RNG screw you for no reason.

*glares at Path of Radiance*

Oscar!

Edited by Light Strategist

My opinion on the subject basically echoes what most people are saying.

Of course the modern gaming world frowns upon such things but so long as they're not bringing harm to other players, I see no problems.

Is this actually true, though? Sure, some people frown upon it, but the modding scene is huge, and that can technically be considered cheating.

This is a very flimsy basis for argument because you can't quantify what the "intended experience" truly is. Sure, you can make the argument that the developers didn't intend for the player to be able to go out of bounds and exploit glitches and such, but that doesn't come anywhere close to defining the so-called "as intended" experience. Once a player picks up the controller, the experience is all theirs, and each person's experience is unique to them alone. Video games are entertainment and people should be allowed to enjoy them however they want. If someone gets their enjoyment via "cheating," who are we to tell them that's wrong?

Bal, you can't be serious. You're equating real-life progress evaluation to entertainment. Apples and oranges.

That's a personal view, because people do not necessarily play video games for a challenge, so I question the comparison between cheating in school and cheating in video games. I would like to make the distinction that we are purely talking about single players games, since that's personal enjoyment vs joint enjoyment (from multiplayer games).

Is this actually true, though? Sure, some people frown upon it, but the modding scene is huge, and that can technically be considered cheating.

Well, I see lots of mods that are just cosmetic things or stuff done for the shits and giggles (or as I call them, gits and shiggles). Lots of the stuff I've seen regarding mods is seriously just stuff done for a good time, like importing costumes from outside of the game for a cosmetic appearance, changing the BGM which is the equivalent of doing nothing, or completely redesigning a game from the ground up with a ready-made template, a la Pokémon and Fire Emblem Mods.

In all of those things, I see nothing that helps to make the game any less difficult, in fact, I see Pokémon mods taking the game to new heights of difficulty such as Omega Red or Sacred Gold.

I'm not saying you're wrong because you've obviously seen different things to me, so everything you've experienced will differ.

...and now I'm concerned that'll seem like I'm saying: "You're wrong" when I'm not... =(

Well, I see lots of mods that are just cosmetic things or stuff done for the shits and giggles (or as I call them, gits and shiggles). Lots of the stuff I've seen regarding mods is seriously just stuff done for a good time, like importing costumes from outside of the game for a cosmetic appearance, changing the BGM which is the equivalent of doing nothing, or completely redesigning a game from the ground up with a ready-made template, a la Pokémon and Fire Emblem Mods.

In all of those things, I see nothing that helps to make the game any less difficult, in fact, I see Pokémon mods taking the game to new heights of difficulty such as Omega Red or Sacred Gold.

I'm not saying you're wrong because you've obviously seen different things to me, so everything you've experienced will differ.

...and now I'm concerned that'll seem like I'm saying: "You're wrong" when I'm not... =(

Well, there certainly are mods that either add to the experience fairly (cosmetics) or give an entirely new experience, but there also exist plenty of mods for stat boosts, skips, etc. Sometimes the line can also be hard to draw. Does a balance patch for a Fire Emblem game fall under "cheating?"

I don't really think cheating in school is comparable to cheating in single player games, since school is multiplayer in the sense that it's used to train you for real life and your scores affect everybody in that way.

I'd say cheating on a single player game would be more like cheating on a crossword puzzle. If you want to check the answer key at the back of the book, who's it really hurting.

I'm more concerned with the "why" than anything. If you're going to come to a FE board and proclaim that Conquest Lunatic is too easy for you because you hacked all the enemy stats down to single-digits, stuff it.

I'm more concerned with the "why" than anything. If you're going to come to a FE board and proclaim that Conquest Lunatic is too easy for you because you hacked all the enemy stats down to single-digits, stuff it.

Who hacks a game to make it easy, than complains that it's too easy?

It's more common that people use cheap tactics, or don't challenge themselves with higher difficulties and then wonder why the game is too easy.

Really insecure people who wish they were better than they really are. If you want a sample of how nasty the elitism can get, check out some of the older FE12 posts. . .but you've been warned.

I think cheating can be fine for competitive purposes too. If I played competitive Pokemon, I'm sure I wouldn't spend dozens of hours hatching eggs for the right stats and natures when I can just skip this annoying phase with a save editor and proceed to the real thing.

I think "cheating" in a competitive environment refers moreso to using things that are banned (for instance PEDs) or hacking and changing the game around. So setting a trap mod at a station in a smash tournament so that the character you main has an infinite range grab that insta kills with a throw.

I think "cheating" in a competitive environment refers moreso to using things that are banned (for instance PEDs) or hacking and changing the game around. So setting a trap mod at a station in a smash tournament so that the character you main has an infinite range grab that insta kills with a throw.

We're on a FE site, so here's some better examples:

- No, having everyone wield Imhulu wasn't funny in the Shadow Dragon multiplayer days

- Saizou didn't learn Grisly Wounds on his own, try again

- Dragonskin is not a valid player skill

Basically, things that can't be obtained legitimately, and make the game unfun for the opponent.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy... I found a shiny Houndour with the Shiny code turned off. None of my friends will believe that was is legit.

Haha, I have actually found 2 legit shiny Pokemon! A male nidoran and pidove, in HeartGold and Black version respectively. I was in awe... Then I used my action replay to clone then so I could keep them in the game I caught then AND bring them to Gen 6. Also my friends have never found a single shiny before, so I may have hacked some just for them :P Gotta make the friends happy.

Anyway, I think cheating is fun, but only if you do so responsibly. Responsible cheating that is.

Like back in the DS days the DS system's internet connection wasn't compatible with my home internet so I wasn't allowed to do ANY of those downloading events. That sucked. Answer: Action Replay! I hate download exclusive anything because if I ever want to replay the game then I won't be able to get everything unless I got a handy Action Replay at the ready.

So yeah, in the DS Pokemon games, I got all of those internet exclusive items, including the one they didn't release.

And in Shadow Dragon; Caeda is a Falcon Knight like she should be.

Also I'm currently doing a Gaiden chapter run on Shadow Dragon so I got 99 Aum Staffs. Sadly I couldn't find a code for just the Aum Staff so I now have every item in my inventory. I was shocked when I remembered that dead unit's items go back in the convey so now I'm stuck with two Falchion swords.... Damn...

If anyone wanted to give me a code that just has the Aum staffs I'd be pretty happy... just-just throwing that out there in the open.

• 4 weeks later...