Should The Master Knight Class Return In Future Games?

Rend Keaven

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Master Knight Class Make A Comeback?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but make it a DLC class like dread fighter etc.
    • No.

One stormy night in August of this year, I was going through my first play through of FE4. I was at Chapter 4, healing grinding with Raquesis with the paragon ring that she somehow manage to afford, I had little interest in using her in my main squad and only gave her some level ups for the sake of making another healer stronger and for her and Azel's children to get better stat bonuses. She reached level 20 before I got to reclaim Silesia, I though to myself "meh, might as well promote her, I mean she had bad level ups so this may help her catch up, plus a couple of rings." I had no knowledge of what she promotes to at the time: when I hit that class change icon, skipped Oifeys dialogue and watch what she becomes, my jaw fell to the floor.

A mounted unit with 9 movement, rank A in all weapons except light/dark magic, insane promotion gains and access to pursuit. This was like watching your Magikarp evolve into Gyarados for the first time. The fact that this frail unit becomes a goddess on promotions just messes with my head and I'm surprised that this class only existed in this game.

Sorry for the long story, I just really wanted to say thestory about how shocked I was when I witnessed that moment. The point of this topic is to ask if the Master Knight class should make a comeback in the newer games with added skill sets, bonuses and other bells n whistles or should it not return and remain in the land on Jugdral?

I'd say no. The thing with a master knight is both risk and reward for training a unit that seems like a sub-par attraction at the fair. So, if the reward is so great, then why say no? Well, think about it. I'm sure they would work around the weapon ranks somehow (I doubt they have enough space for 5+ weapon ranks, but what do I know?) but how are they going to keep the same feeling of risk vs reward? With growths being less of an issue in newer fire emblem installments, the promotion gains (if kept the same) would make the class absolutely insane.

If they bring it back, they will need to put a ton of thought into how it is implemented as far as balance, (unlike Ryoma) significance, and unit relation (why should X unit be allowed the option to promote into Y class?). What about DLC? DLC does not matter. If it can be in the game, someone will buy it, for whatever reason is out there. Lastly, we have gotten a few "new" classes since awakening, testing out different combinations of weapon utility with multiple different classes. Examples: Dark knight, Puppet master, Maid/Butler, Master of arms, etc.

I personally don't like a few of these new class combinations, as it means we need another unit to represent that class. Which means more units/characters. Which means Too many characters. Putting in the master knight would be a good thing, to reduce the need for hybrid classes (multiple weapon utility combinations). But it would seem like a down grade to new fans, not giving them the option of all these classes that were introduced - but suddenly get shafted for one class that's basically another great knight to them. It would be a let down for the newer fan-base who do not go back to play games like Geneology of the holy war. Thus, dampening their gameplay experience (which is in turn, a negative for the franchise).

There may be several flaws in my thinking, but I just want it to stay in FE 4 (Or a remake, but do you really trust the current Developers to properly remake FE 4, much less remaster it?). I honestly do not believe Intellegent systems can do justice with this class.

Edited by Lord Tullus

I say no. Having access to all those weapons sounds good on paper, but not so much in practice.

Well to be fair, that could be remedied by revamping the weapon rank requirements on weapons, i.e. making irons E and steels D again. It wouldn't be too hard for Master Knights to use good weapons.

I'm personally not sure if I want to see them return. It would be cool to see as a DLC class, I guess, as an ingame main class I can see a lot of balance issues though.

I say yes but only if it's an exclusive class. Training a really shitty Est type character could be worth it once they get those sweet promotion bonuses and weapon ranks.

Heh. I'd imagine having to deal with all those E ranks would really take the wind out of Master Knight's sails.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I wish IS would realize that giving E rank weapons on promotion makes it near worthless.

I'm just being realistic. You don't earnestly believe that if the Master Knight class returned, they'd just hand it good weapon ranks on a silver platter, do you?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I wish IS would realize that giving E rank weapons on promotion makes it near worthless.

Nah, E rank is fine, as you need some sort of drawback to having 2 weapon types, and it makes it to where say something like Master of Arms versus Great Knight might have some different weapon preferences upon promotion despite having the same weapon type. The issue is that E rank needs to not take F.O.R.E.V.E.R to move to D+. In GBA, it was about right, burning through 1 slim weapon at E rank was enough to hop right to D. I liked that speed.

As for the class coming back, I wouldn't mind it, as having all of those weapons able to be used doesn't mean that you'll be good with any of them, and you can only hold 5 things, so it's really not that powerful. Just versatile.

Nah, E rank is fine, as you need some sort of drawback to having 2 weapon types, and it makes it to where say something like Master of Arms versus Great Knight might have some different weapon preferences upon promotion despite having the same weapon type. The issue is that E rank needs to not take F.O.R.E.V.E.R to move to D+. In GBA, it was about right, burning through 1 slim weapon at E rank was enough to hop right to D. I liked that speed.

As for the class coming back, I wouldn't mind it, as having all of those weapons able to be used doesn't mean that you'll be good with any of them, and you can only hold 5 things, so it's really not that powerful. Just versatile.

I think having base weapon levels for classes like in FE11 and FE12 could be a good solution. Maybe a good reason to use Master of Arms over Great Knight could be something like having overall better weapon ranks or better ranks in different weapons.

I'm just being realistic. You don't earnestly believe that if the Master Knight class returned, they'd just hand it good weapon ranks on a silver platter, do you?

I don't ever think it would happen, but giving a unique class with lots of good weapon ranks to some slightly relevant shitty unit could really make it worth it to use them.

Except in FE6, where what you're complaining about was indeed the case.

I see a Fates Master Knight having these attributes:

Sword A

Lance A

Axe A

Shuriken C

Bow A

Tome A

Staff A

Level 1: Canto (can move after performing an action, cannot perform another)

Level 10: Discipline (Triple WEXP)

Level 25: Adept (Spd% chance to attack again in one combat)

Level 35: Pursuit (+1 range to equipped weapon)

Now it sounds really broken.

It was sort of in Tear Ring Saga; the Royal Knight class. The only PC that has it is Raphael, who is solid until endgame with his base stats. He can use all the non-magic weapons in the game until he dismounts (then he can only use swords).

It was sort of in Tear Ring Saga; the Royal Knight class. The only PC that has it is Raphael, who is solid until endgame with his base stats. He can use all the non-magic weapons in the game until he dismounts (then he can only use swords).

Man Raphael is such a beast. I can't wait to get him in my new run of TRS, I had somehow forgotten about him though before I saw this post.

I'd like to see Master Knight return yes, I think it'd fit well in the DLC class bill along with Dreadfighter and the like as well.

Master Knight would be such a godly DLC class. You could put literally anyone into it and it'd work out...I approve of this.

Master Knight would be such a godly DLC class. You could put literally anyone into it and it'd work out...I approve of this.

Master Knight Xander ready to kick even more ass.

Also it'd be the obvious choice to use your Arms Scrolls on. I always regret using them on people just to buff one weapon rank when it can buff ALL OF THEM.