Where did the idea of changing Deke's name to Duke come from?

Topaz Light

There were six Dekes born in the entire world in 2006. So, no, it's not a legitimate name on that basis. It sounds stupid.

The issue with Deke is that it stems, as far as I remember, from some kind of cameo in Smash Bros? The one I remember is that 'Rutoga' somehow also translated (as opposed to localised) across, which is... indefensible. I'm with the official localisations in every other instance but those two were miscues.

The one I remember is that 'Rutoga' somehow also translated (as opposed to localised) across, which is... indefensible.

oh no, that one was totally excusable

it was a simple reading mistake by an intern, they forgot to put down the べ in his original name, ルトベガ, but there was a note to transliterate the name so rutoga became the thing.

There were six Dekes born in the entire world in 2006. So, no, it's not a legitimate name on that basis. It sounds stupid.

The issue with Deke is that it stems, as far as I remember, from some kind of cameo in Smash Bros? The one I remember is that 'Rutoga' somehow also translated (as opposed to localised) across, which is... indefensible. I'm with the official localisations in every other instance but those two were miscues.

The name rhymes with "leak" and "meek", in case that isn't clear from the spelling.

In Japanese, it's ディーク, which is pronounced more or less the same way (as close as can be approximated with katakana).

The original fan-translated spelling of the name, Dieck, is also a real surname.

Also, I really don't see what's so stupid about the way it sounds? It looks and sounds way less stupid to me than some names that I have seen used nowadays.

EDIT: It looks like Deke can be short for Deacon, actually. That seems like a good option.

To be frank, what mainly bothers me about calling him Duke is that it seems like such a poorly-researched and bare-minimum-effort name change. Instead of actually researching real names his Japanese name could possibly be referencing or that sound similar to it, they just changed the second letter of his SSBB name and called it a day. That's what bugs me, way more than the name itself.

Edited by Topaz Light

I mean, feel free, if you have something to contribute.

This is in FFtF mainly because I don't think it warrants clogging any of the serious forums with needless namewank over a fan translation choice.

Which I realize that this is.

But Deke → Duke still bugs me.

I think it would be absurd but I guess I wouldn't necessarily object to it.

I also don't think that Deke is remotely as ridiculous a name as Soanevalcke. Do you find Zeke to be a stupid name? How about Reed? Gene? Reese? Phonetically, Deke has the exact same consonant-"ee"-consonant pattern as these names, and is identical to Zeke, phonetically and in writing, aside from the first consonant sound. Deke fits right in with "real" names, even if it is to be refused formal status as one. Why is Deke, in particular, a stupid name?

Edited by Topaz Light

To be frank, what mainly bothers me about calling him Duke is that it seems like such a poorly-researched and bare-minimum-effort name change. Instead of actually researching real names his Japanese name could possibly be referencing or that sound similar to it, they just changed the second letter of his SSBB name and called it a day. That's what bugs me, way more than the name itself.

the translators are under no obligation to keep names the same as or similar to the japanese, though

Oh wait, this is in FFtF. Never mind, I was about to actually contribute Japanese romanization opinions. Carry on.

educated opinions on localization should be in every thread on sf tbh

What is even a "name"?

Languages evolve. Words come and go. Meanings change. Usage changes.

All the names we use for people that we use now were arbitrarily assigned as such way back. I don't see why the practice should stop now...

the translators are under no obligation to keep names the same as or similar to the japanese, though

Oh yeah, I know. Nobody's obligated to do a single thing anybody's way but theirs in their own projects. I'm just really finicky when it comes to name changes; I tend to prefer that names not be changed too much unless the new name is either a well-researched substitution (Thorhammer → Mjölnir) or in order to preserve a joke or pun for the new language (Doga → Draug).

It's not a big deal, really. It's just something I'm weirdly-finicky about, and Deke → Duke in particular always just really bugged me.

Edited by Topaz Light

I am aware of both Stefan's Japanese name and the whole FE12 Virgil fiasco. I simply didn't feel the need to clarify that I knew who Soanevalcke referred to, since I felt it was assumed that we both knew.

I also frankly don't subscribe to the notion that every fictional character's name has to be a "real name". As long as the word sounds decent enough in the context of being a given name, I'm fine with it. Hell, even cheesy stuff like "Cloud Strife" doesn't bother me, although in his case there's sort of a subtle implication that he started calling himself "Strife" since concept art shows that his mom's last name, and therefore probably his actual last name, is actually Strauss.

Also, perhaps I overstated how much name changes bother me. They mainly bother me when I feel like there was nothing wrong with the original name in its context (Deke in this case) and the name change was made arbitrarily, for no reason. It's the same reason I'm bothered by Harold being changed to Arthur (Harold is actually a more bombastically-heroic-name than Arthur, in my opinion at least), but I'm not bothered by Zero being changed to Niles or Wayu being changed to Mia (due to the original names seeming weirdly-anachronistic with the setting). In the case of Soanevalcke getting changed to Stefan, I do feel that Soanevalcke is a ridiculous name and it was probably for the best to change it, but I also think that they should've found some other way to retain the nod to Soan in Stefan's name.

I feel quite strongly that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Deke as the name of that turquoise-haired mercenary dude from the medieval European fantasy world of Elibe in Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, nor with Deke as a name in general for that matter. Likening a simple, one-syllable name to a bizarre, borderline-unpronounceable mouthful like Soanevalcke is frankly a faulty comparison.

Edited by Topaz Light

oh no, that one was totally excusable

it was a simple reading mistake by an intern, they forgot to put down the べ in his original name, ルトベガ, but there was a note to transliterate the name so rutoga became the thing.

Did you mean the ー? Rutger's Katakana is ルトガー and Rutobega (what you've just typed out in Katakana) is definitely not what his name is in the game.

In case anyone is confused, the ー signifies that the last vowel is extended and with a kana ending in "a" that generally adds an r sound.

Regarding the main topic, I agree that Deke is an alright name in itself, but I am sort of fond of the original fan translation of Dieck since people are prone to pronounce Deke as "dehkeh" instead of using the ii sound. I like the Deacon/Deakon suggestion though.

Edited by Irysa

Did you mean the ー? Rutger's Katakana is ルトガー and Rutobega (what you've just typed out in Katakana) is definitely not what his name is in the game.

In case anyone is confused, the ー signifies that the last vowel is extended and with an a that generally adds an r sound.

I think Integrity was making a tasteless food joke. :P:

Honestly I'm done with name debates in FE in general.

Look up the Vergil meme.

I unfortunately joined shortly after this was a thing, I kinda wished I could see it :P:

step 1 - what do we call an fe12 character with no lines, he's listed as belf in the fan translations which sounds really stupid

step 2 - among suggestions like 'bell' and (iirc) a hardcore support for retaining belf by traditionalists who don't understand localisation, arch? i think? fudges the katakana or whatever into vergil, which is a real name

step 3 - sf community splits almost completely down the middle.

step 4 - 'vergil' was a meme for like two years.

step 5 - it's not even the right spelling of virgil imo

:(