"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

I once had a 3DS game case with an ambassador 3DS, 4 3DS games and 8 DS games in it stolen. Trust me, I know this veeeeeeeeeeery well.

This is a primary reason why I love a fully digital 3DS.

If it gets stolen, you won't have to rebuy the games. Just call Nintendo, tell them it got stolen, and they'll swap the NNID. Though if you lost it before NNIDs were a thing, then rip...

The Switch's portability gimmick is why I will be going all digital if the console allows it. Though if there's only 32GB of on board storage, I'll be in an awkward situation either way.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, and the ambassador titles... genuinely wish that I had SS on the 3ds, if nothing else.

I would be a switch day 1, but I am saving up for a house and my backlog for just the 3ds alone is insane.

I'm actually considering selling my Wii U, just because I honestly don't console anymore. 3ds and Vita could probably keep me going for the next 10 years, easy.

The Ambassador Titles were amazing! :) It's actually how I got into the Fire Emblem series actually. :)

I am just getting into console gaming (I got a Wii a few months back, and I love my Wii) but I'm more of a handheld person. Which is why I love the Switch so much. It gives you the best of both worlds. :)

There's nothing wrong with a Day One purchase if one knows what he/she is getting into. I was one of the early adopters of the 3DS (I think I picked a few days after launch, N3D Ambassador reporting!). Yeah, it sorta sucked not having many games at the time, but Ghost Recon was pretty good and Samurai Warriors Chronicles got me hooked on the Warriors series. Granted, if something does awry, it is on the consumer for buying into the hype and getting it early if the product actually sucks or is not what they are looking for.

As for the dual screen, they may be able to do it similar to the Wii U by just having the controller in your hands with its screen while the TV has something else. However, the problem with this is the Wii U seems to have two separate processors, one for the controller and the Wii U itself. The Switch just seems to be one, so I don't know if this is likely. DS Dual Screens will likely just be two separate windows on the big screen with various options (like playing on an emulator).

Yeah, I just played DS games and Nintendo Dogs and Cats until all of the good games came out. That, and the demos in the eshop. :) And the Ambassador titles. :)

Aren't we also getting a new Pokémon for Switch as well?

Until it gets shown off, assume "no".

According to Serebii.net, the Pokemon Company CEO confirmed that Pokemon games are being developed for the system.

"

In The Games Department

New Nintendo Console

The next piece of Nintendo hardware has been announced. Formerly known through the codename NX, this device is the Nintendo Switch. It's a home console device that can have the controller separate from the console for portable gaming on the go. Last month, The Pokémon Company CEO, Tsunekazu Ishihara, confirmed that they were developing Pokémon games for this hardware."

Edited by Roflolxp54

According to Serebii.net, the Pokemon Company CEO confirmed that Pokemon games are being developed for the system.

"

In The Games Department

New Nintendo Console

The next piece of Nintendo hardware has been announced. Formerly known through the codename NX, this device is the [/size]Nintendo Switch. It's a home console device that can have the controller separate from the console for portable gaming on the go. Last month, The Pokémon Company CEO, Tsunekazu Ishihara, confirmed that they were developing Pokémon games for this hardware.[/size]"

Wow then I really hope for a good pokemon game. Will they do Gen IV remake for Switch? Or will they make a brand new game? I'm desperately wanting a new Direct.

I'm not hyped, but it does look good and I like the idea of it. The only thing I didn't like was one of the controller options, but I doubt that will be a significant issue.

It likely won't be an early purchase for me even if I can afford it, but I can see myself picking it up later on (especially if the library is as good as I'm hoping from this video if we can get portable skyrim we can get portable dark souls).

I forgot that I haven't posted my opinions yet.

It looks good but it's not a day 1 purchase for me; I'd like some more details first as well as knowledge of what lineup the Switch will have as and pricing information. (Mainly looking for Fire Emblem, maybe Pokemon, maybe Smash Bros. if Sakurai got sufficient rest or a Sakurai-esque developer helped out.)

Edited by Roflolxp54

I'm happy Nintendo seems to be learning from the Wii U's failures. I'm excited.

Strangely, what I might be hoping for the most on Switch is Hyrule Warriors Legends. All the 3DS content on a console that can actually run it, please.

The Wii U would've probably had a longer life if it was more successful, but yeah, of course we would've still seen the Switch launch.

Eeeh... the Butterfly effect says otherwise. If the Wii U had been more successful it's impossible to say how long it would have lasted, and what Nintendo would have done when it's lifespan was over. But this is the Alternate History.com member here talking.

Welp, looks like the hype train suddenly turned on the breaks. Nintendo may not release more information until 2017.

Source:

However, to discuss a bit more, since the NSwitch seems to be porting some games over (or making sequels), I would like to see..

1: "Hyrule Warriors Ultimate" - Combining graphics of Wii U, 3DS content, and DLC. Maybe even have some new content, although that may be better for a sequel if it is made. Also, file transfer?

2: New Fire Emblem - In the Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn style of 3D models and over the top animations. Fates had some cool animations, and I would love to see the next Fire Emblem on the Switch.

3: Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 - This has to be a thing. It must be a thing. I must know what happens next in the world of Mira! That ending is too open, answer me questions!

4: "Smash 4 Ultimate" - With all DLC and stuff from both 3DS and Wii U. Although, if a Smash is made for the Switch, I am thinking tag team matches and the like to possibly feature (like in Marvel vs Capcom). Bonus points if the Story Mode made a comeback with all of the glory of cutscenes.

5: New Monster Hunter - I haven't touched the series since Ultimate 3 for 3DS, but I would like to see it playable on the Switch, if just to play it on the big screen. I know some people that really rather play it on a console format instead of a tiny handheld as well.

From what has been shown, the 3D Mario looks good (triple jump and long jump remind me of N64) while "Splatoon 2" is also on my list. I've heard some people talking about the possibility of Bayonetta 3 or a sequel to the Wonderful 101 because Platinum Games is around, which makes me need to purchase Bayonetta 1 & 2 at some point. Then, there are all of the possibilities from 3rd party developers (although if there is a PC release, I rather get that)...

I also wonder what Nintendo will do next after this announcement. There is likely to be a "Holiday Direct" about all of the hot games coming out during holiday season, but I'm not sure how that will hold up to people wanting to know more about the NSwitch.

Slightly off topic, but what will the proper "shorthand" term for "Nintendo Switch" be? I wrote "NSwitch" because it seems easy enough, and calling it the "Switch" is probably confusing when taken out of context.

So far the reveal seems pretty good. They revealed they will have some third party support on the system, the Wii U enchanted ports will probably ensure it won't have a barren launch line up and both the swtich idea and the graphics look kinda nice.

I'm not sure if its a good idea to stop talking about till 2017 though. They have people's attention now and drip feeding information would be a good way to keep the hype going. Waiting till the last 2 or 3 months may make it hard to keep the mainstream well informed.

Amir Anvarzadeh, Singapore-based head of Japanese equity sales at BGC Partners Inc, states that he feels it offers too little above the smartphone experience.

"It's a disappointing console. It doesn't enhance the gaming experience when you have a smartphone in your pocket."

Either this guy can't picture it having the same tech as a smartphone or can't get the idea that its literally trying to compete against the smartphone market.....

Edited by Harvey

Buttons and sticks will always be superior to lone touch screens for playing games. My question is, will the NS support Wii and Wii U controllers? If not, I fear that the lack of IR pointing will cause console shooters to regress back to the archaic twin-stick setups of yesteryear.

Buttons and sticks will always be superior to lone touch screens for playing games.

For once, I agree with Zera on something. But I don't care about shooters, so I'd be fine with the console not having much, or any, other than Splatoon (since it was shown).

Amir Anvarzadeh, Singapore-based head of Japanese equity sales at BGC Partners Inc, states that he feels it offers too little above the smartphone experience.

"It's a disappointing console. It doesn't enhance the gaming experience when you have a smartphone in your pocket."

Either this guy can't picture it having the same tech as a smartphone or can't get the idea that its literally trying to compete against the smartphone market.....

Or option 3: this guy can not fathom that this is possibly aiming more at dedicated gamers.

Buttons and sticks will always be superior to lone touch screens for playing games. My question is, will the NS support Wii and Wii U controllers? If not, I fear that the lack of IR pointing will cause console shooters to regress back to the archaic twin-stick setups of yesteryear.

I disagree. I find the twin-stick setup to feel much more natural and easier to use- while it may not be quite as precise, there's substantially less room for error. I couldn't stand Metroid Prime 3 and I deliberately payed as much for Prime Trilogy to get all the stuff to let me play the original Gamecube version of Metroid Prime on the Wii.

Anyways, Bethesda has been pretty coy about confirming a Skyrim port. People who know them say it's just their standard PR speak and company policy- they don't announce things until the same year they release and never confirm leaks.

Or option 4: he's ignoring the fact that any smartphone that tries to run a game as big as Breath of the Wild would be dead in the water. At this point the only thing I'm sad about is that no touchscreen kind of kills TWEWY 2 for the foreseeable future.

I disagree. I find the twin-stick setup to feel much more natural and easier to use- while it may not be quite as precise, there's substantially less room for error. I couldn't stand Metroid Prime 3 and I deliberately payed as much for Prime Trilogy to get all the stuff to let me play the original Gamecube version of Metroid Prime on the Wii.

As someone who knows a person that had the honor of competing with (but got destroyed by) a high level Japanese Splatoon team... Twin stick controls was a rarity.

So while it is there, there's definitely a reason to keep the "almost as responsive as mouse" controls.

Splat2n definitely wouldn't be the same if they only had stick controls.

Though touch controls aren't as big of a deal as the motion part.

Edited by shadowofchaos

As someone who knows a person that had the honor of competing with (but got destroyed by) a high level Japanese Splatoon team... Twin stick controls was a rarity.

So while it is there, there's definitely a reason to keep the "almost as responsive as mouse" controls.

Splat2n definitely wouldn't be the same if they only had stick controls.

Though touch controls aren't as big of a deal as the motion part.

That's high level stuff- the sheer amount of skill they possess means it's more precision and less error, while for lesser players it's more of a mixed bag. You see it a lot in the competitive side of console shooters- a lot of big players have the sensitivity turned up very high, so that they can look around, aim, and respond to things quicker.

That's high level stuff- the sheer amount of skill they possess means it's more precision and less error, while for lesser players it's more of a mixed bag. You see it a lot in the competitive side of console shooters- a lot of big players have the sensitivity turned up very high, so that they can look around, aim, and respond to things quicker.

Even then most console shooters have some kind of autoaim and handicap system in place to compensate the terrible twin stick system to the point where it's completely on and you can't turn it off.

In console Call of Duty, it's always turned on no matter what you do. You can't turn it off.

Hell even Goldeneye Wii version despite having a precise motion control system has autoaim turned on by default if you aim down your sights.

It's generally agree among by most developers and testers that mouse and gyro controls are the superior choice of aiming over twin stick controls. I remember being part of the Call of Duty community where the developers were really involved with community forums and they all said, that gyro and mouse controls rained dominance in useage and preference no matter how good or bad the player was. When a player asked if he could use a controller on the PC version, everyone and even the developers told him "good luck"....and he got completely obliterated using the controller on the PC version which had no autoaim. Keep in mind, this player was considered a competent call of duty console player too and most PC players would be considered casual since there isn't a heavy competitive scene as big as the console version.

Edited by kingddd

One thing to keep in mind as we have not confirmed whether Gyro is in the controls which is perfectly possible. The DS4/3 both have Gyro and they work fine (Gyro is what spatoon uses). That being said I wouldn't call twin to stick control archaic, in fact being able to use twin sticks and Gyro is what I call the best of all worlds, I really hate how spatoon neuters one of your sticks in order to turn on Gyro. If there is no general Gyro in the system they really need to rethink their standard twins control for the Spatoon, because it has this really annoying, very powerful autolock to the ground (which is the reason I switched to Gyro), newsflash Nintendo when I play spatoon I arc my paint, especially since I main paint bucket. I got used to Gyro in the game, but in my opinion if they didn't have crap twins stick controls in the game, I would be using that still, as it's more accurate for me as my hands tend to sway a little.

Edited by Locke087

So its confirmed that Swtich will NOT be backwards compatible with the 3DS and Wii U games!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards_compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software

Damn....now how am I suppose to get New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World if I don't have a Wii U? :(

But more on Skyrim......I don't understand why the hell Bethesda would port an old game instead of porting something else like.....idk Fallout 4?

That port is making me think and its making me feel that third parties aren't going to put any effort into making latest games for Switch......