Unbuyable Weapons - the best and the worst

BANRYU

Pine Branch- crippling accuracy, negative avoid, and speed reduction, but powerful. D-Tier, maybe C depending on who wields it, as characters with High Skill and Strength can do massive damage even when speed cursed.

Hunter's Bow- As useful as any other effective weapon, though not quite as powerful as an Iron Bow or Yumi, also lacks Flying effectiveness. C-Tier.

Hexlock Spear- D-Tier for most classes, C-Tier for armored units or Xander.

Hoe- E-Tier outside of nullifying trap tiles like Waste, Spikes, Water, or other.

Bone Axe- C-Tier, as it's not the most accurate weapon, but it helps out Axe or Club users that lack Resistance.

Kagero's Dart- B-Tier, as Skill -5 is a crippling debuff, coupled with +2 speed +20 avoid means most enemies will miss their next attack. -3 in defensive stats also works to cripple enemies like Generals or Strategists.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the tier list, I think Kagero's Dart is either a B or A-rank weapon for the following reasons:

Pros:

+ 20 Avo. bonus is huge, especially on a projectile weapon

+ 2 SPD bonus since it's a shuriken weapon is always nice (makes user harder to double and to get hit by enemy attacks)

+ Has base 80 Hit

+ Debuffs targets by -5 SKL, -3 DEF, -3 RES (makes target less accurate, less able to proc attack skills, and more vulnerable to damage)

Cons:

- Has base 1 Might (unless forged or shuriken user has lots of STR and/or can reliably proc attack skills, the weapon wouldn't be doing that much damage, especially on the first time the weapon hits the target)

- Usable only by the Ninja class line, Dread Fighters, and Butlers/Maids

- D-rank weapon, meaning that units that were newly reclassed to a Shuriken/Dagger-using class can't immediately use it

Overall, the weapon seems to be following an archetype that very much references stereotypical shinobi -- not very strong but annoying, evasive, and quick.

I think B-tier is probably too high for Kagero's Dart. It's good for messing with foes' accuracy and dodgetanking, but IMO its use is mainly limited to Kagero herself, since she's the only one with enough strength to offset its low might and enough speed to make use of the extra Avo. That low might alone makes it fairly situational-- You're not really going to be doing any substantial damage (or... any at all, in some cases) if you give it to say, Kaze. It DOES have the distinction of being the only shuriken to debuff Skill as much as it does, so that's certainly something, but I think C-tier is more of an appropriate level for it. But hey, if enough people want it higher, then sure.

Pine Branch- crippling accuracy, negative avoid, and speed reduction, but powerful. D-Tier, maybe C depending on who wields it, as characters with High Skill and Strength can do massive damage even when speed cursed.

I had Takumi use this while he was spending time as a Kinshi/Basara and he did pretty well with it, but for the most part, yeah, the downsides are too many. Probably D

Hunter's Bow- As useful as any other effective weapon, though not quite as powerful as an Iron Bow or Yumi, also lacks Flying effectiveness. C-Tier.

Honestly I'd have said B? It's always been good for ORKOing beast units for me, but probably will wanna get some more input before tiering it

Hexlock Spear- D-Tier for most classes, C-Tier for armored units or Xander.

I've heard the argument that it's good on Effie, but TBH I'd rather just stab mages in the face with like Steel or Effie's Lance or smth. I'd call it D-tier personally, but again, I'll wait for some more input before deciding.

Hoe- E-Tier outside of nullifying trap tiles like Waste, Spikes, Water, or other.

That bad? I haven't actually used it myself, but it seems at least usable in theory. At least for early-game, maybe.

Bone Axe- C-Tier, as it's not the most accurate weapon, but it helps out Axe or Club users that lack Resistance.

Might have uses for enemy phase tanking if mages are around, but really you're just gonna want to not leave your magic-weak axe users in range of enemy mages at all, frankly. And having tried to use it myself, I nearly always wound up using Iron instead on units who had both Iron and Bone; they really need the improved accuracy most of the time in my experience. I'd call it D-tier at best, possibly borderline E.

Kagero's Dart- B-Tier, as Skill -5 is a crippling debuff, coupled with +2 speed +20 avoid means most enemies will miss their next attack. -3 in defensive stats also works to cripple enemies like Generals or Strategists. I mean, the defenses debuff is nothing new for shurikens, but the -5 Skill is really what sets it apart. Its def a good dodgetank weapon

Comments in green.

BTW it's not like the tier of the weapon is going to change depending on who uses it, they're tiered based on overall usage including who can use them lol.

Gonna refrain from ranking these guys for now, I'd like to get some more input first.

Would it be possible for the Hinata Katana to be moved from E-tier to D-tier? Despite the defensive stat drops and inability to double, it still has potential because of the doubled might during player phase, especially when in the hands of units with high strength and/or slow speed. Also the B-Rank required to use it can be overcome depending on the units you use, for example Ryoma/Xander, Hana/Hinata, and Corrin/Kana since you most likely have them using their personal weapons or using them in their base class if that makes any sense.

____

Would the Venge Weapons be better of in D or E tier? They each have slightly different uses based on which weapon type, but they all function similar.

I'd be willing to hear some arguments for Hinata's Katana, but I think it depends on the math of the matter and whatnot... It's equal in base might to the Steel Katana, so the question is which does more damage between a double-hit from Steel or single doubled hit from Hinata. It's also worth noting that Hinata's Katana needs B-rank in order to wield, at which point Silver outclasses it pretty hard unless you're too slow to double. I suppose it'd be all right for units like Silas, but I think all the other guys you mentioned would rather use their personal (and Kana has plenty of other/better options).

IDK man, have you used the thing? For the most part I'm reluctant to go off of theorizing over hard experience and usage. If you've got a good war story to testify for it (and if other people are willing to speak up for it) I'll consider bumping it, but it really doesn't seem worth using to me TBH.

Also, the Venge weapons can be obtained in the shop, I believe.

Edited by BANRYU

Weapon Stats: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_Fire_Emblem_Fates

[spoiler=Attempting a tier list (WIP)]

A-Tier = The best weapons outright, have distinctions that no other normally-obtainable weapon can match

- Felicia's Plate: magic shuriken that can crit and activate procs. Less of an Avoid penalty than most magic weapons as well.

- Fuga's Club: Strong and accurate and more efficient at killing than Silver on units whose speed is pushed over the edge by the +3

- Effie's Lance: its monstrous might is well worth the speed and accuracy penalties. Generals (or any other units with Wary Fighter) can wield its awesome might drawback-free.

- Saizo's Star / Kaze's Needle: -1 might and +5 accuracy compared to Iron, its debuffs are decent and the rally activations are amazing on a shuriken-- and it doesn't hurt that they affect 2 of the most important offensive stats.

B-Tier = Better than some normal weapons and practically always worthwhile

- Raider Weapons: strongest E-rank weapons; more power than bronze stuff and gives +3 speed, and most look pretty cool to boot. Amazing for training new weapon ranks

- Nohrian Blade / Sunrise Katana: extremely useful early-game for keeping units alive in respective modes where they're available, and can be pretty good when forged in Conquest/Revelations

- Arthur's Axe: Less accurate than Iron, but stronger and with extra Defense. Equal in strength to Steel (without drawbacks) when forged once, so really good in general.

- Camilla's Axe: Moderately strong for an axe and very accurate, and +2 Res is very nice. Str/Skill debuff afterward is inconvenient, but it has enough going for it to overlook this.
- Subaki's Pike: decent D-rank weapon in its own right, but can be monstrous if forged.

C-Tier = Mediocre. Weapons that are situational or have a few drawbacks, but are still worth using in some instances.

- Leo's Iceblade: magic sword that can crit and proc, but only has 1-range and user suffers stat penalties. Useful, but arguably no better than a Levin Sword on some units.

- Takumi's Shinai / Niles' Bow: Worth a mention due to their ability to feed kills to weaker units, as well as for grinding weapon levels and/or supports slightly faster.

- Beruka's Axe / Odin's Grimoire: usable on units with enough skill to outweigh its accuracy and limited ability to double, such as Benny / Beruka and Leo / Orochi. Gives them a better chance to OHKO than with the Killer Axe/Mjolnir (both of which have less Might and crit%) if they can't double. Risky to leave equipped while in range of enemies, due to the -20 crit avoid.

- Ganglari / Berserker's Axe / Sacrificial Knife: Crazy-powerful weapons good in all regards except their HP reduction, which can be rectified at least somewhat with recovery skills like Renewal and Lifetaker. Still requires careful use since enemy phase usage will eat up HP very quickly, but too powerful to overlook their potential.

- Ryoma's Club: Risky, but rewarding. As with Beruka's Axe, very good on units with low Speed and high Skill. Especially good for Generals due to Wary Fighter (or anyone else who has the skill).

- Laslow's Blade: faster, but riskier alternative to Steel swords; -1 Might is a pretty good trade for +6 effective speed

D-Tier = Usefulness is very situational or limited, but existent, if just barely. Mostly reserved for joke weapons and stuff that wants to be wielded by a very specific unit to be worthwhile.

- Adamant Club: Quite weak for an Axe/Club, but accurate and defensive. Very good weapon for Charlotte and possibly her children, but too weak on almost anyone else.

- Stale Bread / Moonlight: Not terrible, but the healing effect is difficult to take advantage of-- healing staves + better weapons are nearly always more effectual, but these'll do in a pinch.

- Xander's Lance: Not being able to proc hurts, but it CAN still double at least, so best on a speedy unit. Weaker but more accurate than Silver, and +2 Res makes it decent if the wielder is worried about eating magic attacks. If Res and Skill aren't an issue, however, Silver is almost entirely better.

- Speed Thunder: Mainly only viable for killing isolated foes, but requires careful use to ensure enemies aren't made harder to kill by being unable to double them.

- Oboro's Lance: Stronger than Silver Naginata but mostly outclassed by Silver Lance; usable in Birthright by units with enough speed to overcome the penalty, as the ability to double is one of the only things it has over the Bold Naginata.

- Votive Candle: Decent alternative to Iron early-game (more Might + built-in Miracle, less accuracy), but not too useful beyond that.

- Pine Branch: The high might and decent crit rate are nice, but the speed penalty and lowered accuracy hurt its usability a lot.

E-tier =Garbage tier. Don't use these, they have zero advantages over other equipment that's available

- Hana's Katana: Limited viability for units with Vantage, but too held back by its inability to double

- Selena's Blade

- Hinata's Katana

- Rinkah's Club

- Spellbane Yumi

Untiered

- Daikon Radish

- Bottle

- Broom

- Parasol

- Umbrella

- Bamboo Pole

- Pine Branch

- Bold Naginata

- Hinoka's Spear

- Stick

- Hexlock Spear

- Peri's Lance

- Carp Streamer

- Hoe

- Frying Pan

- Bone Axe

- Bamboo Yumi

- Harp Yumi

- Sidelong Yumi

- Mikoto's Yumi

- Setsuna's Yumi

- Rubber Bow

- Violin Bow

- Cupid Bow

- Hunter's Bow

- Anna's Bow

- Chopstick

- Hair Pin

- Caltrop

- Kagero's Dart

- Quill Pen

- Jakob's Tray

- Paper

- Malevolent Text

- Monkey Spirit

- Bird Spirit

- Ink Painting

- Izana's Scroll

- Ember

- Iago's Tome

- Lantern

- Dumpling Rod

- Bamboo Branch

- Sakura's Rod

- Purification Rod

- Candy Cane

- Mushroom Staff

- Bouquet Staff

- Elise's Staff

- Lilith's Staff

DISCUSS~

I can't imagine why you would put Selena's Blade in the garbage tier. You trade 2MT for 10 Crit and 5 accuracy, and you switch out -5 dodge for -5 crit evade. Maybe not the best but it seems a solid B or C to me.

I would put Paper, Rubber Bow, Chopstick and Ember in C, they are decent training weapons without the drawbacks of bronze weapons. Too weak to use long term though.

Edited by kcirrot

I can't imagine why you would put Selena's Blade in the garbage tier. You trade 2MT for 10 Crit and 5 accuracy, and you switch out -5 dodge for -5 crit evade. Maybe not the best but it seems a solid B or C to me.

Compared to what, a Steel Sword? Either way, I think Selena's Blade is a flat out losing trade relative to the Steel Sword.

One thing to keep in mind about this tier list is that the way people personally rank things is going to depend on their play style. So it will be hard to make an objective ranking unless an item is flat out worse in every way compared to another.

Anyways, concerning Selena's Blade and Hinata's Katana, the former is a pretty meh variance on steel swords. It might be better on a swordmaster but I'd rather have a steel sword for anyone else. Hinata's Katana has too many drawbacks and is outclasses by Silver.

Compared to what, a Steel Sword? Either way, I think Selena's Blade is a flat out losing trade relative to the Steel Sword.

From your posts you seem to dislike things that are uncertain, so I can see where you might prefer a steel sword. For me, I stack critical hit often and having a weapon with ten crit for such a small loss in base damage is great. YMMV.

I would put Paper, Rubber Bow, Chopstick and Ember in C, they are decent training weapons without the drawbacks of bronze weapons. Too weak to use long term though.

I dunno man, it only has 1 Mt and 10% crit rate on Iron, AND it has a doubling penalty on top of needing a higher weapon rank? I understand it might look all right on paper, but in practice I've never found it to be any better than either Iron OR Steel, and if you want to crit, there's the Killing Edge at the same weapon rank.

The only character in either Hoshido or Nohr I can see getting any use out of it early on is Hana (maybe a Speed+ Corrin), but if they can wield Selena's Blade and not worry about the speed penalties then they can use Steel and get more bang for their buck, unless they REALLY need that extra hit (and then... there's Iron for that).

As I've said for other people, if enough people speak up for it I may bump it, but... honestly, I really don't think it's gonna happen, man.

SOME stuff gotta occupy the garbage tier, folks. Can't just be the spellbane yumi all alone in there lol.

As far as the joke weapons, yeah they'll probably go in C or maybe D. Not as good as the raider weapons for training new weapon ranks IMO, but still usable in certain circumstances since they have good acc at least.

EDIT: oops I've a page of several replies. Hold on lemme catch up.

One thing to keep in mind about this tier list is that the way people personally rank things is going to depend on their play style. So it will be hard to make an objective ranking unless an item is flat out worse in every way compared to another.

Anyways, concerning Selena's Blade and Hinata's Katana, the former is a pretty meh variance on steel swords. It might be better on a swordmaster but I'd rather have a steel sword for anyone else. Hinata's Katana has too many drawbacks and is outclasses by Silver.

That's true, but the I guess the way you could look at this is that I want to attempt to rank them based on objective ease of use? Based on how easily/mindlessly they can be used and what have you. (In any case, realized I didn't say this anywhere else but I agree on Hinata's lol... they're both pretty bad...)

Think of it this way: the more thinking and planning around the weapon it requires you to do, the lower on the list it will be, generally speaking. That, and whether something else is outright better purely in terms of math, probability, and especially in practice; for instance, take the Selena's Blade discussion. A player can choose to use it if they want, but its only real use is as a middle ground between Iron and Steel (at the weapon rank cost of the latter, which isn't great). If it was a D-rank weapon, it might be a different story, but as it stands any unit carrying all three weapons (Iron, Steel and Selena's) will NEVER have a situation where Selena's is going to be a better choice than one of the other two-- I can say that much from experience. The only situation I can see Selena's Blade ever being useful is in Conquest if you have a sword shortage-- or if you want to, which is also fine.

Understand, the point of this list isn't to tell people how to play, just to tell them what's more objectively useful.

Subjectivity is less relevant when it comes to the list itself and what is actually useful. When it comes to that, I'm most inclined to trust in testimony of performance rather than speculation.

From your posts you seem to dislike things that are uncertain, so I can see where you might prefer a steel sword. For me, I stack critical hit often and having a weapon with ten crit for such a small loss in base damage is great. YMMV.

Whatever the guy doesn't like is pretty irrelevant to the point he's making. Keep it civil, please.

Edited by BANRYU

That ain't it at all - 10 crit doesn't really make up for the crit evade penalty or it making follow ups harder to do, especially when it's only 1 point stronger than iron, and as BANRYU said, I'd generally be hard pressed to find a situation where it'd be a better choice than either iron or steel.

For grinding to be effective in Conquest using Cupid's Bow, the following must be achieved:

- The enemy can't massacre you during the next turn

- Whoever's firing Cupid's Bow needs to be out of danger

- The enemy won't die on EP due to your units countering

IMO Throne grinding does all of the above, and gives extra Defense to boot. For straight-up weapon rank grinding, a Bronze Bow is better, since it will never crit or activate skills. Staff grinding can also be achieved by using an enemy on a throne - Kotaro is perfect for this!

For grinding to be effective in Conquest using Cupid's Bow, the following must be achieved:

- The enemy can't massacre you during the next turn

- Whoever's firing Cupid's Bow needs to be out of danger

- The enemy won't die on EP due to your units countering

IMO Throne grinding does all of the above, and gives extra Defense to boot. For straight-up weapon rank grinding, a Bronze Bow is better, since it will never crit or activate skills. Staff grinding can also be achieved by using an enemy on a throne - Kotaro is perfect for this!

Duly noted, trash tier it is haha.

EDIT: went ahead and added Peri's Lance / Parasol / Umbrella to B-tier; being able to 1-2 range and crit/proc is worthy of that level of distinction I think, right?

EDIT AGAIN: I'm gonna go ahead and propose some other rankings (without adding them) for the sake of discussion.

- Stick: D-tier; good for units with a lot of Strength but weaker Skill, good early-game but less so lategame.

- Hexlock Spear: C-tier; lets lance-users both tank and kill magic-users fairly easily (depending on the wielder's Str ofc). Effie + Xander seems like the best users. C might actually be a bit high, D might be more fitting since its usefulness is limited to certain characters. Also, a lot of mages can be one-shot by these units with stronger weapons anyway.

- Violin Bow / Harp Yumi: C/D; similar to Kaze's Needle / Saizo's Star, but with less useful rally effects and no range versatility.

- Hunter's Bow: B at least; might be weaker than most bows, but horseback units are pretty prevalent in both main routes (can't comment on Rev) and there's at least one chapter in each story where all enemies are weak to it.

- Jakob's Tray: B/C; weaker but more accurate than Silver and good debuffs (best Skill debuffer aside from Kagero's Dart). Dagger-wielders almost always appreciate the extra defense if they have to be in range of foes in enemy phase.

- Iago's Tome: C; weak but accurate, good for bosses + other tough enemies due to both its accuracy and the debuffs. Rarely worth using otherwise, though.

- Setsuna's Yumi: D; both weak AND innaccurate; mainly needs a Sniper (or sniper skills) to overcome its poor accuracy. Less useful on Birthright because of how many ninjas there are, who are better at debuffing much more easily. Situationally worth it sometimes.

Edited by BANRYU

I can quickly go through the staves because they're all mostly bad.

D rank: Bouquet Staff, Mushroom staff, Bamboo Branch

Few uses but the stat buff is a nice little addition. Don't feel shy about using them up.

E rank: Lilith's Staff, Elise's Staff, Candy Cane, Purification Rod, Lantern, Dumpling Rod, Sakura's Rod

Too few uses to justify taking up inventory space.

Oh yeah I've absolutely been procrastinating going through the staves haha.

Yeah the so few uses and limited inventory space is really the hurting factor with staves, especially with higher-level staffbots who have access to a LOT Of good stuff like Hexing Rod, Freeze, and Entrap on top of healing... The only character who can really afford the inventory space for garbage staves like that is a staffbot Corrin due to the convoy.

Although I guess they're slightly more useful early-game, since at that point staff-users don't usually have such a contested inventory. So... Might consider bumping them all up a tier from what you proposed, in light of that. A one-off staff earlygame, assuming it's a decent effect, isn't quite what I'd call garbage-tier. Sakura's rods, at least, I personally get a fair bit of mileage out of since I'm the type who habitually heals any amount of damage, including the 1 HP missing from levelups and stuff lol... so the extra healing fodder is appreciated in that regard.

Edited by BANRYU

I'd say that staves are in a weird spot, because they need to be constantly replaced. I'd do a little more with the tiers, though. Banryu's right about some of these being really good early game, though even that isn't enough to bump all of them up.

E-rank: Candy Cane (staffbots shouldn't be getting hit in the first place), Dumpling Rod (see Candy Cane), Sakura's Rod (the Festals will do a better job at 2 Magic), Elise's Staff (while this will heal more HP if the user has single-digit magic, I can't see this happening at C rank).

D-rank: Bouquet Staff (the skills that generate money rely on Luck, and this boost is for the entire map), Lilith's Staff (mini-Fortify plus being a level lower than actual Fortify), Bamboo Branch (Rally Luck, yes please), Mushroom Rod (resistance is nice, but the real draw is the 15 HP heal, since a regular Heal needs 15 magic to be comparable), Lantern (extra range is great on an E-rank rod).

Edited by eggclipse

Yeah Lantern is basically like the greater-ranged version of what I use Sakura's Rod for lol. Elise's Staff is legit garbage, the fact that it's built for non-magical units but wants C-rank is crap. Literally the worst staff, the only time I can EVER see it being used-- never mind useful-- is on an Offspring-sealed physical unit who also happens to have a staff-rank (IE, Priestess Mitama or Butler Dwyer), and even then it's only one use so like what's the point. I feel like Sakura's Rod MIGHT deserve slightly higher...? (if you look at it as a tool for saving uses on other healing staves by only using it on units that need very small amounts healed, like 1-5 HP, but maybe I'm biased IDK I just like that it's more useful and accessible than Elise's >.>) But IDK, if they're both bad, guess they're both E lol.

- Stick: D-tier; good for units with a lot of Strength but weaker Skill, good early-game but less so lategame.

- Hexlock Spear: C-tier; lets lance-users both tank and kill magic-users fairly easily (depending on the wielder's Str ofc). Effie + Xander seems like the best users. C might actually be a bit high, D might be more fitting since its usefulness is limited to certain characters. Also, a lot of mages can be one-shot by these units with stronger weapons anyway.

- Violin Bow / Harp Yumi: C/D; similar to Kaze's Needle / Saizo's Star, but with less useful rally effects and no range versatility.

- Hunter's Bow: B at least; might be weaker than most bows, but horseback units are pretty prevalent in both main routes (can't comment on Rev) and there's at least one chapter in each story where all enemies are weak to it.

- Jakob's Tray: B/C; weaker but more accurate than Silver and good debuffs (best Skill debuffer aside from Kagero's Dart). Dagger-wielders almost always appreciate the extra defense if they have to be in range of foes in enemy phase.

- Iago's Tome: C; weak but accurate, good for bosses + other tough enemies due to both its accuracy and the debuffs. Rarely worth using otherwise, though.

- Setsuna's Yumi: D; both weak AND innaccurate; mainly needs a Sniper (or sniper skills) to overcome its poor accuracy. Less useful on Birthright because of how many ninjas there are, who are better at debuffing much more easily. Situationally worth it sometimes.

Should I assume that the assessments here are more or less uncontested and tier them accordingly?

Edited by BANRYU

Don't really use any of the quoted weapons, which is why I didn't say anything. I have no objections.

Oops no yeah, I didn't mean to come across so passive-aggressive there .3. sorry Dx

For Jacob's Tray, I'd argue that it for it to be strictly C tier since Silver Dagger/Shuriken have more might deals better debuffs. Sure, -4 skill debuff is nice but -4 speed is one of the more important stats to target. It has good accuracy but the default Silver projectile weapons already have pretty good accuracy.

I feel like Hexlock Spear should just be in C tier. D tier seems too low for it imo. Sure, it's weak but +8 resistance is huge and as mentioned, magic units don't really have much defense so a physically orientated unit can get a lot of mileage of the this weapon.

For Jacob's Tray, I'd argue that it for it to be strictly C tier since Silver Dagger/Shuriken have more might deals better debuffs. Sure, -4 skill debuff is nice but -4 speed is one of the more important stats to target. It has good accuracy but the default Silver projectile weapons already have pretty good accuracy.

I feel like Hexlock Spear should just be in C tier. D tier seems too low for it imo. Sure, it's weak but +8 resistance is huge and as mentioned, magic units don't really have much defense so a physically orientated unit can get a lot of mileage of the this weapon.

Honestly the +4 Def is the main thing that sets Jakob's Tray apart to me, since it allows the often-squishy dagger users to tank (or at the very least, take a hit). It's my go-to weapon on Kagero most of the time since Def and Skill are usually a bit on the shaky side for her. I'd like to say B for it, but maybe I'm biased, so I'll wait on that one.

Hexlock Spear for C seems fine to me. I've never gotten much use out of it, but I've heard a few good war stories about it in this thread, so that'll be enough I suppose.