Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

Being mounted and having an fricking awesome personal sword (which gives him multiple bonus skill) makes it very easy to rise him without any effort. Default pursuit really helps him and he's a fantastic magekiller.

9 / 10

7 hours ago, Yojinbo said:

Leaf actually has access to a whole bunch of broken stuff [50+ kill Hero Sword/Lance, Magic Swords, Rescue Staff] and pretty much undisputable monopoly on a ton of amazing/borderline broken stuff like the Hero Axe, Hero/Killer Bow and Tornado Tome.

Using the term broken wasn't only inappropriate but also false since everyone can use a broken weapon.

Actually I meant holy weapon.

I know that Leif has default A rank in multiple weapon types which was mentioned when I said He turns out into the best class in the game.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ares is obscene. He comes mid-chapter 7 with stupidly good bases and decent growths (save for utterly overkill strength growth) and comes with the Mystletainn out of the box and that has the critical skill built into it which means Ares is routinely doing 80+ damage a hit. The only thing really holding him back is how lackluster paladin stat caps are in FE4 due to their jack of all trades nature, but the Mystletainn's buffs and raw damage basically work around that too. 9/10 easily.

The Black Knight Rides out to the party!

Aless joins in Chapter 7 after the desert, charging at you with the Mystletainn. With a holy weapon, good bases and growths, a skillset with Continue, Ambush and Pursuit and a horse, everything about this guy is good. So, he's useful across the board throughout the rest of G2, barring some exceptions (What, Julius? Blume in Chapter 7? Alvis? Arione? Most of these are still guys he can beat with some levels behind him). And that's without considering the Mystletainn, which gives him +10 Res (making him better at stopping mages and resisting staves, much as he needs some procs in Res to walk through the wall of Edda), and +20 Skill. This is alright for hitting everything with that might and decent hit, but it also has Critical, which just makes his ability to cadaverise things better. Even with no Speed boost, it's still a powerful weapon in its own right. Even his gains work out well; +2 Str, +3 Def, Skl and Spd and +5 Mag and Res is good for him with what he's missing. Really, what can I say other than he's an actually amazing Paladin, useful throughout G2 and a definite good choice throughout the game. It's a good thing he turns to your side himself.

So, can we just acknowledge the fact that at one point he was written to be Lachesis's kid with Eldigan? Which is somehow a highlight of the messed up crap in FE4? Also, he's got a bit of an arc with Leen/Laylea which is also messed up. Just, no wonder Aless is considered edgelordy.

I'll rate Aless 9/10. Having a holy weapon and a horse from the start allows him to edge out Leaf, and he's useful throughout G2.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention for Seliph: The Tyrfing has Prayer, which does boost its useability.

The third member of the trilogy (Seliph/Leif/Ares). They're doing what their fathers couldn't.

Ares is great. Good bases, good growths, and easy to train up. He doesn't really need any help EXP-wise since he'll always keep up with the others. The Mystletainn is an insanely good sword, too, so that helps him even more. Money isn't really a problem since he'll always win in the arena. His only problems are joining a bit late and I guess paladin's low caps.

8.5/10

...why is the str cap low when it's 3 points off the highest, which is 27? I can't recall this being significant against anyone other than Alvis/Julius. Anyway, Aless is good, his holy crit sword is good, and the fact he gets a res bonus means he is useful in endgame. 8/10

Has decent bases, has access to a holy weapon right off the bat and has decent enough resistance to be able to take some magic and status staves to the face.

7.5/10 (-0.5 bias for being an edgelord)

eltshan.png aless.png

IS, did you even try?

I'd love Ares if he grew a bit more defense and resistance.

8,5 / 10 with half a negative bias point due to him being such an edgelord and his sprite being a carbon copy of his father's.

Edited by Vaximillian

If I take a moment to think about it, he's basically Rutger from FE6 in that his contributions are restricted mainly to the player phase and replicated by units who can do more. His only true flaws are really his garbage 1-2 options and availability. 8.5/10 sounds about right. I was leaning toward 8, but being just a half-step down from the gods is the message I'd rather send.

Ah, Ares! 9/10. 

First of all, he's the son of Ares, and thus has a very bad edited potrait of him. Secondly, he like Leen/Laylea and I ship it.

Ahem, anyways, Ares is an impressive unit, mainly because he gets the awesome holy weapon Mystletainn, which gives him good bonuses and also grants him the Critical skill. He also has his personal skills, which are Pursuit (very useful), Continue(also useful) and Vantange(also sorta useful). Since his holy weapon gives him a boost in Skill, he will critical a lot.

Ares growths aren't spectacular, however. He has a high strength growth with Luck at 50% and HP is obviously high for every unit. His defense is at 40% and the others are at 20 or 30%. But hey, he'll be very strong to ORKO everything in his path, especially since he has a holy weapon. 

Ares also has an awesome pony, making it easier for him to reach and escape enemies easily and in time. His bases however are actually good enough to let him survive (I'm getting a feeling a deja vu for some reason....a pegasus rider comes into mind). 

So, yeah, not much to say about him. He is rather not the most handsome of the Gen 2 males, sadly enough, considering Eldigan had an awesome potrait.

9 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

He is rather not the most handsome of the Gen 2 males, sadly enough, considering Eldigan had an awesome potrait.

Uh? They literally have the same face, with Ares' eyes being a pixel larger.

8.5/10

Even though he sits on a horse, has great stats, great skills and an awesome holy weapon his combat is still held back somewhat by his poor 1-2 range options. With a 5% Mag Growth and 4 base Mag he will never be able to handle Magic Swords as well as Celice, Oifaye, Fee and Delmud do. Even as late as Ch.10 Oifaye will probably be better at taking out large squads of enemies because he can reliably ORKO a lot of stuff from 2 range.

He is one of your best endgame units though because good Res + Mistoltin makes him borderline immune to Magic, including those annoying Sleep Staves in Ch.10 and Endgame and because Continue is unaffected by Nihil which makes his offense against Alvis more reliable than somebody who'd have to bank on crits to do big time damage to him. I'll also give him additional props for being able to provide some quick cash to your dancers via becoming lovers with them. Especially Laylea who doesn't inherit anything can make great use of that.

Also, I'm not saying that Aless is not good before the later chapters. He's already pretty good then, he just doesn't get to shine in Ch.7, Ch.8 and Ch.9 yet.

22 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I'd love Ares if he grew a bit more defense and resistance.

Aless actually has very good Magic Defense. He's got 30% MDef growth and +5 MDef promotion bonus to reach his respectable cap of 20 MDef easily. He also gets +10 MDef from the Mistoltin on top of that. His good resistance is a big part of why Aless, in contrast to Shanan, is such a great bosskiller - because he can withstand Blume's, Ishtar's and Alvis' attacks and strike back extremely hard with Continue procs. The only boss Aless really can't handle is Arion but Arion's optional and you only have to kill him if you want the Prayer Ring.

11 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Uh? They literally have the same face, with Ares' eyes being a pixel larger.

I know, but it's his eyes that are the problem. They just...don't really suit on that face. Eldigan's eyes are probably the best im the game 11/10.

6 minutes ago, Yojinbo said:

Aless actually has very good Magic Defense. He's got 30% MDef growth and +5 MDef promotion bonus to reach his respectable cap of 20 MDef easily. He also gets +10 MDef from the Mistoltin on top of that. His good resistance is a big part of why Aless, in contrast to Shanan, is such a great bosskiller - because he can withstand Blume's, Ishtar's and Alvis' attacks and strike back extremely hard with Continue procs. The only boss Aless really can't handle is Arion but Arion's optional and you only have to kill him if you want the Prayer Ring.

Easily? He starts at Lv 7 with 4 Res. A gain of 11 natural Res in 23 levels is not what I'd call an easy feat.

52 minutes ago, Yojinbo said:

held back somewhat by his poor 1-2 range options. With a 5% Mag Growth and 4 base Mag he will never be able to handle Magic Swords as well as Celice, Oifaye, Fee and Delmud do. Even as late as Ch.10 Oifaye will probably be better at taking out large squads of enemies because he can reliably ORKO a lot of stuff from 2 range.

Aless on promotion has the same magic stat as Oifaye and Continue is a more reliable proc than critical, and his magic is only 1-2 points less than Celice who doesn't have any skill to augment his offence.  He's probably the second best magic sword user in gen 2 after Fee (on promotion).  1-2 range really isn't that important in FE4 anyway.  I get the feeling people just don't give him magic swords because he doesn't really need them to be awesome, unlike someone like Fee who really needs one for good offence.

Edited by General Horace

Alice's offense is insane, the Mistletoe means he's likely to destroy generic enemies and the skill bonus it gives only adds to it. He's up there with Celice and Lead, except he doesn't really need as much investment to get going. He doesn't quite have Leaf's utility and chapter 7 is pretty much over by the time you get him, but he still deserves a solid 8.5/10.

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

First of all, he's the son of Ares, and thus has a very bad edited potrait of him.

I now present to you the Black Knight Ares, son of Ares. :P

7 minutes ago, OliKad said:

I now present to you the Black Knight Ares, son of Ares. :P

D'oh!

Ahem.....A-anyways, he's the son of Eldigan or Elthshan or whoever that guy was.

By the way, what is the more preferred name: Aless or Ares?

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Aless is kinda ridiculous. He shows up halfway through Chapter 7 when he realises that bossman 7-3 Bramsel decided that he'd try to make Leen his waifu or something. So Aless got angry and betrayed the man who raised him, sub-boss Jabarro because he thought he'd have a better shot of being Leen's waifu instead. Whatever, get on Team Celice, it's good for your health. Don't wanna end up like dad, do we. Anyway, Aless has fine bases, decent growths, and one very fancy sword that turns him from good to amazing. Misltlotin or however it's spelt has 30 might, +20 skill, and +10 res. The resistance makes him a magic tank and the skill, combined with innate Critical, makes him a critical machine. Skillwise, Aless naturally has Pursuit, Continue, and Ambush. I guess Eltshan lost all his skills when he got thrown into prison and he turned them off for the Elliot-bashing. These just add to the insanity. Strike twice? Extra attacks? Go first when on low health? Easily one of the best units in the game.

Did I mention he's awesome yet? 9/10.

Ares is a pretty invaluable unit because he's one of the few who has a good defense against mages. 

But I'm not quite as in love with the guy as plenty of others here. With his Holy weapon he kills everything but with me he tended to become a lot more average the moment he started wielding regular weapons. 
I'd give him a solid 8/10 for being a magic resistant holy weapon user but he misses out on the top tier for my experience with him when it came to regular weapons. 

Ares is just ok with normal weapons but I mean....

why WOULDN'T you use the Mystletainn? The only other weapon I give him is the Thief Sword so he can keep his money flow strong.

To be honest, why would any unit who can use a Holy Weapon, not use their Holy Weapon? I mean sure, they're expensive to fix, but there's the fact that these characters usually get more kills and thus more money, and easily clear the arena most of the time.  

I guess for characters like Faval Bargain is sort of needed, and the Thief Sword is also rather useful, but nevertheless, I won't judge.

Ares is actually strong enough to clear out the arena with just an Iron Lance during his debut, lol.

You usually want your strongest characters to have a less expensive weapon to sandbag with. Even Seliph's gold train can run dry with vigorous Brave Sword use. And clearing out arena with only your holy weapon is inadvisable because some fights don't even make back the money you spend on repairs. Sandbagging with Elwind early on makes it so that you can go crazy with Forseti when it's really needed.

21 minutes ago, Inference said:

Ares is actually strong enough to clear out the arena with just an Iron Lance during his debut, lol.

You usually want your strongest characters to have a less expensive weapon to sandbag with. Even Seliph's gold train can run dry with vigorous Brave Sword use. And clearing out arena with only your holy weapon is inadvisable because some fights don't even make back the money you spend on repairs. Sandbagging with Elwind early on makes it so that you can go crazy with Forseti when it's really needed.

The best part about sandbagging with Elwind is when you realize that you don't need to use Holsety 90% of the time.