FE10 Tierlist 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

What chapter does she come in? Also, is she considered good in POR?

She comes in 2-3, which is chapter 3 of part 2. Also, availability in Radiant Dawn is staggered. And yes, she is considered good in PoR.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Keep in mind that a character's ability in PoR has absolutely nothing to do with their ability in RD. Different game, different join times, different growths, bases, etc.

On the subject of Sanaki, looking at my score for her compared to similar units, I do think I overrated her.

Wow... The quoting became a mess so I'll respond back in chunks I guess. 

Ena + Kurth: You're right, they don't necessarily need to use laguz gems, my point was is that anyone could plausibly use them. And yes, again, you're right that you probably wouldn't take Volug to the end if you were taking other laguz. And that's my whole point. Volug isn't a person that you're going to desirably bring into the end game under normal circumstances. And for Jill, I'd attach her to Zihark before I'd attack her to Volug. It's more beneficial for both of them. Z gets the extra defense earlier when the evasion hasn't kicked in full force and Thunder x Earth is pretty solid at C. Plus, he can actually keep up with her better than he can Volug, so it's easier to keep them together. Plus, Volug got some time to build in 1-5 so he might choose someone else. No reason to wait if you don't have to. 

Volug: Agreed on the stat booster. I don't consider it favoritism to give Volug the Energy Drop if you're using them. I don't understand the favoritism argument. You're obviously going to give things to people if you're using them. It's asinine to even bring up favoritism like this. Same way I don't consider it favoritism to give a speed wing to Skrimir if you're using him. My issue is how disgustingly close their endgame performance is here, and we're just ignoring it because...? Volug was good for a few chapters. I think that's pretty lame to give him 2 points and it's not underselling him at all. It's overselling him, because it's literally saying that he's better than Cain and Naesala despite the fact that we use this insane logic that "there's so many Gotoh style units in the end, that it belittles the need to have super good units by the end..." And then we aren't giving the super units that make end game a joke rankings that rank them being the best units. It's honestly completely baffling. 

Lyre Versus Fiona : The issue is that Fiona's better potential barely even matters. Lyre with an energy booster sucks but can fight about as well as Lethe. It's bad, but it's certainly usable. Fiona, even if gave her + 1 in all of her stats would still be kinda lousy. It still doesn't change the fact that she can't go anywhere in 3-6, can't climb the ledges in 1-E , and 3-13 (which means she must be deployed in the front and can't climb up ledges if things go wrong), and isn't present in 1-8 for some reason. She has 4 chapters to gain like... 20 levels. That's absurd. Lyre can at least contribute. Fiona you're stuck in this circle of giving her BEXP to have her fight only for the game to not let her fight. It's maddening. I'd say Lyre is a little bit better, but not by much. Lyre is a below average unit constantly. Fiona is damn near unusable unless you massively go out of your way to contribute all of your resources to her. Fiona just feels more rewarding and satisfying to use because you actually get something back in return. 

Stefan: The reason I think he should be higher is that people are seriously underestimating this guy. He's literally an RNG proof character. if anything goes sour for your trueblades, Stefan is your guy if you want to use a sword user. That's way more than we can say about the other 3rd tiers you get. He's leagues ahead of them. That shouldn't be ignored. 

Sanaki: I'm not seeing Sanaki as better than Calill. Their performance is very close at max, but Calill actually has enough time to build some supports, which means that even the attack power Sanaki has over Calill isn't much. Because Calill is dark. You'll also need to get Sanaki to SS rank if you want her to use Rexflame which is stronger than her prf weapon. Calill honestly has an easier time doing so. 

Edited by Augestein

Lyre vs Fiona

I'm Team Fiona on this one because Lyre taking an energy ring is equivalent to Lethe but Lethe is bad as it is, she can't double or deal much damage. Fiona on the other hand has a hard time on her joining map but there's more resources to help her grow than there is with Lyre. Lyre needs stat boosts + blossom and bexp but Fiona has forges, canto (which comes in handy when raising a frail unit), and she levels at a much quicker pace. It doesn't really matter that she can't leave the island in 3-6 because the enemies will flow towards your team and it's much safer to keep everyone in choke-points. 

57 minutes ago, Sweet_Basil said:

Lyre vs Fiona

I'm Team Fiona on this one because Lyre taking an energy ring is equivalent to Lethe but Lethe is bad as it is, she can't double or deal much damage. Fiona on the other hand has a hard time on her joining map but there's more resources to help her grow than there is with Lyre. Lyre needs stat boosts + blossom and bexp but Fiona has forges, canto (which comes in handy when raising a frail unit), and she levels at a much quicker pace. It doesn't really matter that she can't leave the island in 3-6 because the enemies will flow towards your team and it's much safer to keep everyone in choke-points. 

Fiona needs, forges, an energy drop, paragon, Discipline and spoon fed kills to an amount that makes her difficult to use. And incidentally, the map that is easiest to raise her she can barely travel through. Her leveling at a quicker pace would matter if she didn't have literally only 4 chapters to level. It does matter that she can't leave the island because in terms of when you want to push, you can't, which can leave enemies in that range where you'll kill them on your turn but then get killed if you kill the enemy. You could unqeuip your weapon but Fiona has terrible durability and can't even throw javelins well because you can't forge them and she doesn't have the strength to do chip damage. You though Edward's strength was bad? Fiona averages 12 at level 20.  But Jill is a good unit and she averages only 13-14 strength you might say, but here's the difference with Jill and Fiona. Jill actually appeared with decent speed and defense, so she can take a hit considerably better than Fiona, she also uses axes which makes her rather questionable strength less questionable, and she has more time to level -- it's one chapter, yes, but it's one long chapter where she can take down fliers and is one of the best units to do so outside of maybe Leo or Taruroneo.  Like... I want to like Fiona because she has so much going for her, but it's horrible. Canto isn't really as helpful as normal because she can't move faster than her allies meaning that you still have to creep to make use of it. As you need at least +2 movement over the person in front to move back behind them. Every chapter she's available in outside of 3-12 her movement is impaired (or equal to everyone else... Or worse than Laguz and promoted units). If Fiona had joined where Nolan was...? I'd probably use her. But here? No. She's just too far gone at this point. 

10 hours ago, ping said:

@Jules: By 'special' I mean something that makes her better than the other magic users in the game. I honestly don't see any of your points as such.

• It's nice that Light magic access can mitigate Sanaki's speed issues. But it's still hardly a point in her favor if the other mages have enough strength to wield Anima tomes without issue anyway.
  • Her Mag cap is only two point higher than Calill's, which is honestly not all that impressive. Sanaki is potentially more dodgy, but Calill has more survivability. You're taking heavy use of statboosters into account, but Calill with spirit dust will reach her magic cap rather soon as well.
  • Sanaki needs Blood Tide and White Pool to double the auras, while Calill only needs White Pool, so the doubly supported spot can be used by a physical unit that can use the strength boost to directly increase their damage.

So really, Sanaki in the endgame is not as good as Calill (who is pretty mediocre herself) and needs quite a bit of investment to get to that point. That's pretty bad in my book.

I haven't said that she's better than other mages.

She got the second highest rate besides Calill by me, a 5, a very average rating. Yeah, mages are pretty mediocre-bad in FE10. I have to admit her deployment for the endgame is the only reason why I gave her this rating. If she wasn't forced, I'd give her the same rating as Pelleas.

Sanaki is a growth unit. Her bases in certain stats are really low, but her growths aside of speed are really good. She needs paragon to benefit from them.

After checking the average stats of both, I have to say that Sanaki requires less than I expected to have the stats to double Ashera's auras (which is her main purpose for the end). She needs one speed wing and 1x bloodtide. If you want to 1-2 turn Ashera, it's no issue if she requires bloodtide.

Calill is technically the better fire mage at the end (because she can double more), but since you're forced to bring an other fire user to the tower already, and you don't want to bring another mediocre class to the endgame, I don't see a real point for Calill tbh.

That's why I justify to give both the exact same rating.

5 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

Wait, why is Astrid so low? I haven't played RD but I've played POR and Paragon makes her quite good. Whats wrong with her in FE10.

crappy bases and crappy growths

(strength, speed, defense <= 40%)

9 hours ago, Florete said:

Sanaki has nothing to do with Calill.

In terms of usage, yes.

However they still represent the same class, and you actually don't want to bring two units to the endgame who share a SS weapon, especially it's a mediocre class, like the arch sage class is.

Fiona

As for part 1 she only needs a forged iron lance to have power, accuracy and no speed penalty. Unfortunately you can't give her any other skills since her capacity is only 5 for some reason. You could give her an angelic robe so she could take two steel lances and bows, but I normally would wait for a few levels first. In E-1 you can forge steel lances for her. Of course forge her a lance whose weight is matching to her strength not to have any speed reduction. Also support her with earth. Volug is the easiest choice because he's forced in part 1 anyways.

In 3-6 she should start with paragon to catch up the others. After that you can give her resolve to make her become a dodgetank when she has a high support with an earth-unit.

Since her exp. gain is much better than Lyre's, it's much easier to make her a usable unit in the longrun.

Sothe

He shouldn't be lower, because in part 1 he's really the lifesaver in HM. It's the toughest part of the DB.

However his perfomance in part 4 doesn't convince me to give him a >=8. Unlike Sanaki he's harder to train due to his belayed promotion and the limited movement in 4-3.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

44 minutes ago, Augestein said:

Fiona needs, forges, an energy drop, paragon, Discipline and spoon fed kills to an amount that makes her difficult to use. And incidentally, the map that is easiest to raise her she can barely travel through. Her leveling at a quicker pace would matter if she didn't have literally only 4 chapters to level. It does matter that she can't leave the island because in terms of when you want to push, you can't, which can leave enemies in that range where you'll kill them on your turn but then get killed if you kill the enemy. You could unqeuip your weapon but Fiona has terrible durability and can't even throw javelins well because you can't forge them and she doesn't have the strength to do chip damage. You though Edward's strength was bad? Fiona averages 12 at level 20.  But Jill is a good unit and she averages only 13-14 strength you might say, but here's the difference with Jill and Fiona. Jill actually appeared with decent speed and defense, so she can take a hit considerably better than Fiona, she also uses axes which makes her rather questionable strength less questionable, and she has more time to level -- it's one chapter, yes, but it's one long chapter where she can take down fliers and is one of the best units to do so outside of maybe Leo or Taruroneo.  Like... I want to like Fiona because she has so much going for her, but it's horrible. Canto isn't really as helpful as normal because she can't move faster than her allies meaning that you still have to creep to make use of it. As you need at least +2 movement over the person in front to move back behind them. Every chapter she's available in outside of 3-12 her movement is impaired (or equal to everyone else... Or worse than Laguz and promoted units). If Fiona had joined where Nolan was...? I'd probably use her. But here? No. She's just too far gone at this point. 

Bolded yes she needs all that if you want to use her raise her as a combat unit. Italic maybe but what she prefers is the secret book so she can hit things. If she's being spoon fed kills that energy drop doesn't make much difference because she prefers a stronger forge. Also she has C-rank Lances she doesn't need discipline at all a maxed forge is good for her. I noticed that one difference between Fiona and Lyre is that Fiona eventually catches up faster, since Lyre's fastest way of gaining stats is through BEXP she's going through a much slower process than Fiona. Canto does make a big difference for Fiona, if she misses a hit or lands an unwanted kill she can move back to safety and have someone cover for her. No idea why you're counting 4 maps she's got 5 available maps [1-7,1-E,3-6,3-12,3-13] and Laguz give much better exp than beorc. Lyre's availability is similar she only has 1 map ahead of Fiona [3-4, 3-7, 3-8, 3-10, 3-11, 3-E].  

42 minutes ago, Eleanor Hume said:

Sanaki is a growth unit. Her bases in certain stats are really low, but her growths aside of speed are really good. She needs paragon to benefit from them.

After checking the average stats of both, I have to say that Sanaki requires less than I expected to have the stats to double Ashera's auras (which is her main purpose for the end). She needs one speed wing and 1x bloodtide. If you want to 1-2 turn Ashera, it's no issue if she requires bloodtide.

Bold: And strength, and defense.

That's assuming that she even maxes her level - something I wouldn't make any guarantees about.

33 minutes ago, Eleanor Hume said:

In terms of usage, yes.

However they still represent the same class, and you actually don't want to bring two units to the endgame who share a SS weapon, especially it's a mediocre class, like the arch sage class is.

Sothe

He shouldn't be lower, because in part 1 he's really the lifesaver in HM. It's the toughest part of the DB.

However his perfomance in part 4 doesn't convince me to give him a >=8. Unlike Sanaki he's harder to train due to his belayed promotion and the limited movement in 4-3.

Not really used to this new posting/quoting system, so...

Calill/Sanaki stuff: It depends on the units. I would think most people don't think bringing both Jill and Haar to Endgame is a bad idea just because they both SS rank Axes. In the case of Sanaki/Calill, Sanaki won't necessarily be used just because she's forced, Cymbeline is only 1 MT weaker than Rexflame, and due to Sanaki's bad Str/Spd she's not going to make good use of Rexflame's +3 Spd. The likelihood of an overlap here is tiny.

Sothe stuff: You and others are really weighing part 4 performance too much. Sothe's part 1 alone is worth at least an 8 (I personally believe it's worth more, but I can understand as low as 8) and his part 3 is decent at worst. It doesn't matter if he sucks after that because you can just choose to not use him and then there's no reason for him to go any lower than his part 1 and 3 value.

For what little it's worth, though, while Sothe's part 4 definitely isn't good, he can still function: he's good at killing mages and finishing off kills from others. This just to say we don't necessarily need to throw away his part 4 entirely and that it's positive before negative.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: And strength, and defense.

That's assuming that she even maxes her level - something I wouldn't make any guarantees about.

You deny that 40% strength and 30% defense as good growths for a tiny mage?

That's Ilyana-likish who only beats Sanaki in strength by 5%.

Oh, yeah... forgot about Tormod's 55% strength growth for nothing.

/index.php?/profile/10-florete/" rel="">@Florete

Since I can't switch to source text anymore, and Idk how to copypaste quote boxes, I can only copypaste my comment:

Sothe

He's amazing in part 1. Not more to say. He should be able to double everyone except Jarod and some myrms. Also he'll take two hits in the entire part 1.

9 Weight 50%

In part 3 you will see already that he's going to fall behind the others. He's great with the beastkiller in 3-6 and 3-13, but he's very squishy so you have to equip him to a weaker weapon for enemy phase. He's only good in 3-12, if he has 24 speed. 7 Weight 20%

In part 4 and especially endgame he becomes almost useless with his awful growths and caps. In 4-P he can do some stuff, but in 4-3 he'll fall behind levelwise due to the awkward terrain. In the endgame he only really serves for shoving people and maybe onerounding bishops. I wished he wasn't forced for the endgame and could bring Volke instead. 4 Weight 30%

0.5 * 9 + 0.2 * 7 + 0.3* 4 = 7.1 => 7

Edited by Eleanor Hume

16 minutes ago, Eleanor Hume said:

You deny that 40% strength and 30% defense as good growths for a tiny mage?

That's Ilyana-likish who only beats Sanaki in strength by 5%.

On paper they're decent, but they don't even come close to making up for the bases. Sanaki's def is so bad that Tormod, Soren, Calill, and Ilyana can all literally gain 0 points of Def from levels and will still beat her by 1-6 points in Tier 3 with promotion bonuses alone. Laura and Micaiah will be equal.

In Sanaki's defence there's a chance that none of them will be tier 3 by the start of Part 4 (especially Tormod/Micaiah/Laura) but that's still embarrassing.

Volug: Agreed on the stat booster. I don't consider it favoritism to give Volug the Energy Drop if you're using them. I don't understand the favoritism argument. You're obviously going to give things to people if you're using them. It's asinine to even bring up favoritism like this. Same way I don't consider it favoritism to give a speed wing to Skrimir if you're using him. My issue is how disgustingly close their endgame performance is here, and we're just ignoring it because...? Volug was good for a few chapters.

Speed is an extremely valuable stat and almost every unit is significantly improved by boosting it (except maybe a lucky few like Mia and Ulki who start fast enough to double and near certain to stay that way). Even units with above average speed, like Ike and Titania, benefit significantly. Any unit who takes a Speedwing, especially one joining as late as Part 4, is preventing 30+ other units from using it. That's a significant negative. If the comparison is "Skrimir with Speedwing vs. Volug", then the team with Volug is stronger because it can give that Speedwing to someone else.

Aside from that I don't see your complaint? If someone like Sothe or Volug is good early, they deserve credit for that, and should absolutely score above units who have similar performances to them at endgame. This doesn't even require giving them credit for "availability"; Volug's average usefulness in his chapters is significantly higher than Skrimir's because of his performance in Part 1 and Part 3.

6 hours ago, Sweet_Basil said:

Bolded yes she needs all that if you want to use her raise her as a combat unit. Italic maybe but what she prefers is the secret book so she can hit things. If she's being spoon fed kills that energy drop doesn't make much difference because she prefers a stronger forge. Also she has C-rank Lances she doesn't need discipline at all a maxed forge is good for her. I noticed that one difference between Fiona and Lyre is that Fiona eventually catches up faster, since Lyre's fastest way of gaining stats is through BEXP she's going through a much slower process than Fiona. Canto does make a big difference for Fiona, if she misses a hit or lands an unwanted kill she can move back to safety and have someone cover for her. No idea why you're counting 4 maps she's got 5 available maps [1-7,1-E,3-6,3-12,3-13] and Laguz give much better exp than beorc. Lyre's availability is similar she only has 1 map ahead of Fiona [3-4, 3-7, 3-8, 3-10, 3-11, 3-E].  

That's the problem though. Base Fiona even with a Forge does like... 2 damage to none, gets doubled by almost all of the enemies on the map sans 1-2, and has terrible accuracy. The energy drop makes more of a difference than the secret book because she actually can't hurt anything and has a harder time killing things. C rank lances isn't a bad start until you look at people like say... Nolan, or Edward that have a B by the end. Heck, an Aran that you used might have over C, and he starts with a D rank. Fiona doesn't catch up faster. Fiona can't use paragon until she promotes. That's a problem. She'll need BEXP to even have competent stats at the start. No, she cannot move backwards because every map that she has is one where she has the same movement as everyone else. That means that unless she takes a hit from an enemy first, she can't do it unless she is only moving 4 movement to attack. Otherwise she can only Canto 1 space or no spaces. Considering that 1-7, 1-E and 3-13 are counted as "indoor" it's going to be difficult. 3-13 technically counts as outdoor if you advance, but that's a death wish. Just saying "canto" doesn't actually remove the problem. I usually write off 3-6 as an actual viable map for her because it's exceptionally difficult to use her-- I should have cleared that up. Oh, and in 1-E, she has to take the scenic route while everyone else can climb up the stairs. That's another thing tha's annoying.  Fiona is a unit that they clearly did not playtest when they were making the game. Laguz may give better EXP than Beorc, but Fiona also gets massacred by them more than Lyre does when transformed-- a terrifying thought. And Lyre can at least somewhat fight-- it's trash, but when both of the units are this bad, Lyre's advantages actually kinda stick out. Barely, but they are certainly more usable. In this case, as Fiona is not a unit you're taking to the end due to circumstances against her. Lyre just stinks. 

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Speed is an extremely valuable stat and almost every unit is significantly improved by boosting it (except maybe a lucky few like Mia and Ulki who start fast enough to double and near certain to stay that way). Even units with above average speed, like Ike and Titania, benefit significantly. Any unit who takes a Speedwing, especially one joining as late as Part 4, is preventing 30+ other units from using it. That's a significant negative. If the comparison is "Skrimir with Speedwing vs. Volug", then the team with Volug is stronger because it can give that Speedwing to someone else.

Aside from that I don't see your complaint? If someone like Sothe or Volug is good early, they deserve credit for that, and should absolutely score above units who have similar performances to them at endgame. This doesn't even require giving them credit for "availability"; Volug's average usefulness in his chapters is significantly higher than Skrimir's because of his performance in Part 1 and Part 3.

Significantly is a bit much. Any unit that's doubling doesn't get much use out of speed, and some like Brom, Laura, Rhys, and Micaiah it wouldn't make a lick of difference. The only ones that do care are people that are two-three speed higher than enemies. That's it. It's not nearly as many as people exaggerate. In that regard, an Energy Drop can be more valuable overall in this game. I'll admit I've never bothered to calculate how much a speedwing helps every character in the game, but quite a few of them it won't help. The ones that it does help? It is significant however. But the same could be said for Energy Drops. Energy Drops make a pretty significant difference for someone like Mia when they get forges as well. Having around +4 or 5 attack is pretty nice. 

They are getting credit. That's why they are better than a good deal of the cast despite having rather dodgy endings even when these other units like say... Edward, Rolf, Nephenee, Fiona (yes, it's still true), etc... Are better by endgame. But being a tier of 8 is ridiculously high. Hence my "they are given way too much credit." The earlier chapters may be more difficult, but they aren't THAT hard. 

Also please don't overrate my comment.

I only tried to make clear that Sanaki's growths aren't as bad as Levant mentioned. Of course her base HP and defense are bad, but it's not correct to say that her strength and defense growth are low.

Also I trained Fiona just for fun... and I have to say her strength, skill and defense at level 19 are comparable to a level 10 Aran. She maxes out her resistance (what will become pointless in part 3) and her speed is also comparable to if he reaches this level. So she's nothing special except she's mounted and requires much more babying.

Meg, on the other hand, is pretty good. Excellent speed, defense and resistance. Only her strength is a bit low, but it's her only little issue.

I have to say, if you really can train her in 1-4 and give her at least three levels to bring her speed to ~10 at least (not to get doubled in the next chapter), she can have more potential than Aran in the long run due to her better speed.

If she had just one more base speed point and so enough not to get doubled by the tigers in 1-4, I'd give her a total different ranking. (~5) ... Probably even a better one than Aran.

Anyways some vote changes:

• Tanith: from 7 to 6.5
  • Oliver: from 2 to 1.5
  • Astrid: from 3 to 2.5
  • Sothe: from 7 to 7.5 (weighted part 1 higher than I did previously)
  • Rolf: from 6 to 6.5
  • Shinon: from 8.5 to 8
  • Mist: from 5.5 to 5
  • Pelleas: from 4 to 3.5
  • Heather: from 6 to 5
  • Brom: from 5.5 to 5

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By3VdhdU6OlxclplZ1M1RmNWS1k

Edited by Eleanor Hume

2 hours ago, Augestein said:

That's the problem though. Base Fiona even with a Forge does like... 2 damage to none, gets doubled by almost all of the enemies on the map sans 1-2, and has terrible accuracy. The energy drop makes more of a difference than the secret book because she actually can't hurt anything and has a harder time killing things. C rank lances isn't a bad start until you look at people like say... Nolan, or Edward that have a B by the end. Heck, an Aran that you used might have over C, and he starts with a D rank. Fiona doesn't catch up faster. Fiona can't use paragon until she promotes. That's a problem. She'll need BEXP to even have competent stats at the start. No, she cannot move backwards because every map that she has is one where she has the same movement as everyone else. That means that unless she takes a hit from an enemy first, she can't do it unless she is only moving 4 movement to attack. Otherwise she can only Canto 1 space or no spaces. Considering that 1-7, 1-E and 3-13 are counted as "indoor" it's going to be difficult. 3-13 technically counts as outdoor if you advance, but that's a death wish. Just saying "canto" doesn't actually remove the problem. I usually write off 3-6 as an actual viable map for her because it's exceptionally difficult to use her-- I should have cleared that up. Oh, and in 1-E, she has to take the scenic route while everyone else can climb up the stairs. That's another thing tha's annoying.  Fiona is a unit that they clearly did not playtest when they were making the game. Laguz may give better EXP than Beorc, but Fiona also gets massacred by them more than Lyre does when transformed-- a terrifying thought. And Lyre can at least somewhat fight-- it's trash, but when both of the units are this bad, Lyre's advantages actually kinda stick out. Barely, but they are certainly more usable. In this case, as Fiona is not a unit you're taking to the end due to circumstances against her. Lyre just stinks. 

I ain't seeing what advantages Lyre has when she's a laguz, which comes with a bunch of severe disadvantages, including, but not limited to, cat gauge, range lock, and lower leveling speed (just to put it in perspective, her leveling speed is equivalent to the likes of Shinon and Titania to start, and by the time she gets to level 21, she's leveling Ike a third tier unit). And let's not forget her wonderful Mist-tier offense, because that's just embarrassing. Back to Fiona, I generally consider taking the ledge route in 1-E a bad idea because you're leaving yourself open to getting smacked by enemies who have the high ground. 3-6..  Well, I don't really see her movement as a problem since given the fragility of most of who you have, trying to push into the river is basically asking to have a death wish granted. Also, is Fiona's lance rank really a hindrance? Because outside of Tauroneo's Silver Lance, I don't think you really get many weapons that require a really high rank to use.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

13 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Sothe > Ike

One at a time, fellas.

I didn't vote that way (7.5 Sothe vs. 9 Ike, although in hindsight, 8 and 8.5 respecively might be closer to what I think of them), but I can see why you woud. Sothe is certainly a more central character for the DB than Ike is for Greils Mercs, so a better score for him might be reasonable despite his rather mediocre performance in part 4. However, I still think that Ike performs better in his chapters than Sothe does in his (with the exception of his first 2 or 3 maps) - it's just that Ike doesn't stand out as much because most of the other Mercs are doing a lot better than your average DB member, as well.

It's a question of weighting, really. Do five units that join at the same time and that are about equal in strength and completely stomp their opponents deserve a higher rating than one single unit that doesn't really dominate the enemy, but still does better than all of the other player units on the map? I would answer that question with a very confident 'I dunno' slightly leaning towards 'no'. The reason why I still see Ike slightly ahead of Sothe is because he starts strong and doesn't really lose any steam at any point. The story-based promotion is slightly annoying, but it's early enough to make sure he keeps ahead of the game - the worst part (for me at least ;) ) is that he doesn't gain XP when he hits level 20.

5 hours ago, ping said:

I didn't vote that way (7.5 Sothe vs. 9 Ike, although in hindsight, 8 and 8.5 respecively might be closer to what I think of them), but I can see why you woud. Sothe is certainly a more central character for the DB than Ike is for Greils Mercs, so a better score for him might be reasonable despite his rather mediocre performance in part 4. However, I still think that Ike performs better in his chapters than Sothe does in his (with the exception of his first 2 or 3 maps) - it's just that Ike doesn't stand out as much because most of the other Mercs are doing a lot better than your average DB member, as well.

It's a question of weighting, really. Do five units that join at the same time and that are about equal in strength and completely stomp their opponents deserve a higher rating than one single unit that doesn't really dominate the enemy, but still does better than all of the other player units on the map? I would answer that question with a very confident 'I dunno' slightly leaning towards 'no'. The reason why I still see Ike slightly ahead of Sothe is because he starts strong and doesn't really lose any steam at any point. The story-based promotion is slightly annoying, but it's early enough to make sure he keeps ahead of the game - the worst part (for me at least ;) ) is that he doesn't gain XP when he hits level 20.

And to answer your question, I choose "yes." Because giving the more "outstanding unit among scrubs" is like ranking the best high school basketball player on a team of terrible players better than a professional NBA player despite the fact that the NBA Player is clearly more proficient in general just because everyone on their team is closer to his level of skill. That's my problem with it. If Sothe and Ike were never fielded in the same room, sure. But the fact that they are just doesn't sit well with me. 

9 hours ago, Augestein said:

Why would you write off that map? It's the easiest map for her to gain experience because she doesn't have to worry about a random enemy crawling nearby with a 2 range weapon. All she needs to do is hold a chokepoint and keep her health meter up, it's what every character is doing anyway. When I said canto is beneficial for her is because a lot of the part 3 maps for the db depend on chokepoints. So if she does 1 wrong move then she can move away for a substitute. I've used her many times and I always find that map easier to work with on Fiona.

3 minutes ago, Sweet_Basil said:

Why would you write off that map? It's the easiest map for her to gain experience because she doesn't have to worry about a random enemy crawling nearby with a 2 range weapon. All she needs to do is hold a chokepoint and keep her health meter up, it's what every character is doing anyway. When I said canto is beneficial for her is because a lot of the part 3 maps for the db depend on chokepoints. So if she does 1 wrong move then she can move away for a substitute. I've used her many times and I always find that map easier to work with on Fiona.

Because normally Fiona doesn't have enough strength to throw javelins to do anything significant for damage. Without it, you can do things like have Earth affinity people hide in the grass for instance, and it's much safer than staying in the first island, and unlike the paths to the right, it doesn't have so many thickets that it benefits the enemy as well. I've used Fiona as well, and she's really a cut below the rest. 

I'm not talking about Fiona throwing javelins i'm talking about 3-6 being safer for her to gain experience by holding chokepoints because the enemy only has 1 range and so she only has to worry about one enemy at a time. In the other maps like 1-7/1-E there's enemies with 2 range that might crawl by and kill her.

1 hour ago, Augestein said:

Because normally Fiona doesn't have enough strength to throw javelins to do anything significant for damage. Without it, you can do things like have Earth affinity people hide in the grass for instance, and it's much safer than staying in the first island, and unlike the paths to the right, it doesn't have so many thickets that it benefits the enemy as well. I've used Fiona as well, and she's really a cut below the rest. 

I fail to see how it's safer to advance beyond the first island when you're exposing yourself to multiple attacks, and with laguz being accurate as they are, that's tantamount to suicide.

2 hours ago, Augestein said:

And to answer your question, I choose "yes." Because giving the more "outstanding unit among scrubs" is like ranking the best high school basketball player on a team of terrible players better than a professional NBA player despite the fact that the NBA Player is clearly more proficient in general just because everyone on their team is closer to his level of skill. That's my problem with it. If Sothe and Ike were never fielded in the same room, sure. But the fact that they are just doesn't sit well with me. 

It's about how you judge them. The outstanding unit among scrubs is certainly more helpful to their team than someone who may be better than them but is on a team with others who are even better, and that's often how unit value is determined in these discussions. Sothe does more for his team - and for game completion as a result - than Ike for his own, so he gets a higher score.

In your basketball example, the high schooler's individual merits will probably lead his team further in their own league than the individual merits of a given NBA player, assuming the differences in skill are comparable to the Sothe/Ike situation.

Like, Caineghis beats almost everyone when he exists, yet he's below characters such as Oscar, Gatrie, and Zihark on the list. Do you think that's wrong? It's the same logic. It's the difference between judging what a character can do vs the enemies and judging how much they help the team. Tier lists for FE largely tend to be about the latter.