Every Character Has an Official English Name Now

Oshimos

aa2b72411907d042dc931d0059eb7f2e.png

I know the Fury -> Erin thing happened a while ago but I'm entirely convinced that this is worse.

....I'm going to just continue using the old FE4 names anyway though. They're too meaningful for me.

EDIT: I never claimed to be a pro photoshopper

bc15785cd4eab817ac7cc15ec2f738ef.png

Edited by Darros of Christmas Past

7 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Wendy is Gwendolyn, I am legit curious where that comes from.  

Wend

Wendy

The name Wendy comes from Gwendolyn in the first place, and it's also an Arthurian reference. Fitting considering that Elibe is obsessed with King Arthur.

2 minutes ago, General Banzai said:

Are we sure this is right? Lachesis is back to being Lachesis, even though she was Raquesis in Awakening. And, uh, Marduk.

Marduk was his Japanese name. I don't know why they suddenly decided to change it back, but the whims of IntSys are what they are.

1 hour ago, Darros of Christmas Past said:

aa2b72411907d042dc931d0059eb7f2e.png

I know the Fury -> Erin thing happened a while ago but I'm entirely convinced that this is worse.

It's actually a Greek mythology reference.  IMO Erinys fits a lot better than Erin did!

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's actually a Greek mythology reference.  IMO Erinys fits a lot better than Erin did!

I had no idea. How would it be pronounced?

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Something like this?  Honestly, I'm not sure, and I think someone who speaks Greek would be able to give a better answer.

re: Furies

Heh and I thought Erin was just like Vergil, a name that was generally liked better. The more you know!

Edited by Darros of Christmas Past

3 hours ago, ping said:

HSIMnV8.png

Great work, guys.

€: Although I do enjoy Barthe and Bartre. :D

I think this alone invalidates the possibility of these being official. Considering Murdock has an official name in an official translation already.

4 hours ago, Freyjadour said:

Wend

Wendy

The name Wendy comes from Gwendolyn in the first place, and it's also an Arthurian reference. Fitting considering that Elibe is obsessed with King Arthur.

I thought the author of Peter Pan invented the name Wendy.

Why does Barth need an E at the end of his name?  It's unnecessary.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I thought the author of Peter Pan invented the name Wendy.

Why does Barth need an E at the end of his name?  It's unnecessary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy

according to Wikipedia, Gwendolyn is the originator, but Peter Pan is what popularized it.

8 hours ago, General Banzai said:

Are we sure this is right? Lachesis is back to being Lachesis, even though she was Raquesis in Awakening. And, uh, Marduk.

This is why I question the validity of these.

i honestly say we need to hold off until Heroes (and for Gaiden names, Echoes) actually RELEASES because there's a pretty damn good chance we'll be seeing most of them there, most likely with US and Awakening names intact

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

6 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

https://gyazo.com/c15095bb1fae4850bd2dd37461b24c3b

Really?  Really, Really?   I mean, it's much better than BIRD but, the name can be in more than 2 FE games, right?  ROBIN?

I mean yeah there are two Arthurs on there but considering that Awakening was released relatively recently and this Robin's gonna appear in the next entry of the series I think it's fair to give him a name change

I think we should at least assume all the Gaiden ones will be used for Shadows of Valentia

While the name changes to characters who had already gotten established english names are eyebrow-raising, I think the fact that Gwendolyn, the site's name for Wendy, was used in the trailer lends the site names some credibility. 

15 minutes ago, link16hit said:

Murdork was in Fire Emblem (GBA) and also on Sword of Seals/Binding Blade If I remember. Marduk??

check on wiki : Murdock (マードック Mādokku, Mardoc in the Japanese version).

Exactly, this is why I question if these are the actual names they're going with.

that and the Gaiden names sound a tad too rediculous to be used in a Triple A title coming to 3DS this year

all of this makes me wanna wait and see what the actual release of Heroes does before we jump the gun, especially with GBA/Tellius/Awakening names.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems