• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

9 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit: I did some more numbers, and the result is consistent, Glimmer gets better as the unit's Atk gets shittier. So, if you're Setsuna or something who has literally no stat for a damaging special, Glimmer is the best. (lol). Everyone else has at least one of HP (reprisal or vengeance), Def (bonfire), Res (Iceberg), or Atk (dragon line). Notably, Glimmer even outdoes Luna when your Atk is in the dumpster.

Probably because when you do -20 damage or something, making the enemy lose 10 def/res doesn't actually help, it's still 0 damage.

that's kind of hilarious and sounds so, so backwards. i do understand by what you said why it turns out like that but it's just weird. -Atk Setsuna new meta!  

8 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I wonder whether they will remember Marisa is left-handed. They did for Alm, but he's kind of a big thing.

Gilliam's left-handed too according to his supports, but probably for storage limitations and for practicality, he was right-handed. Official art shows him as right-handed too. Meanwhile, Nephenee's official art and in-game portrait where she's holding her lance in her left hand, but she's wielding it right-handed in-game and in some of the Cipher art. Also, Marisa is left-handed, but fights right-handed, right?

18 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit: I did some more numbers, and the result is consistent, Glimmer gets better as the unit's Atk gets shittier. So, if you're Setsuna or something who has literally no stat for a damaging special, Glimmer is the best. (lol). Everyone else has at least one of HP (reprisal or vengeance), Def (bonfire), Res (Iceberg), or Atk (dragon line). Notably, Glimmer even outdoes Luna when your Atk is in the dumpster.

Probably because when you do -20 damage or something, making the enemy lose 10 def/res doesn't actually help, it's still 0 damage.

Define "shitty".  I want to give Jakob Luna, because his stellar 35 Atk isn't going to do squat if the enemy's defense somehow goes over 51.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Define "shitty".  I want to give Jakob Luna, because his stellar 35 Atk isn't going to do squat if the enemy's defense somehow goes over 51.

2.5x0 is still 0. I still wouldn't do it.

Well that multiplier is for Astra but still.

Edited by MrSmokestack

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

What's his +stat? Glimmer is only better than the alternatives if Bonfire, Iceberg, Dragonic Aura, and Vengeance won't work for you. (Luna doesn't actually help much when your Atk is crap, since the people Luna is best against are people weak sauce units like Jakob won't KO regardless.) If Jakob's +Def or +Res it feels like Ignis, Bonfire, Iceberg, and Glacies would be better.

The reason Glimmer performs better on units with crap attack is because the wins it gets are the ones against the kind of unit -Atk Jakob could kill (slow asses with crappy ass defense), and Glimmer amplifies the flaw.

Edited by DehNutCase

26 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Wait, this makes no sense. As your damage gets closer and closer to 0, that means your damage should be closer and closer to 0 since it's still X + (X * 50%) which isn't that great. That's as far as my basic understanding of limits go.

Man, if only Night Sky skills used speed instead... Seriously, it would be a much better skill and it would make it be the only offensive single-target special to be capable of doing 0 freaking damage.

Edited by Kaden

Just now, Kaden said:

Wait, this makes no sense. If your damage gets closer and closer to 0, that means your damage should be closer and closer to 0 since it's still X + (X * 50%) which isn't that great. That's as far as my basic understanding of limits go.

Man, if only Night Sky skills used speed instead... Seriously, it would be a much better skill and it would make it be the only offensive single-target special to be capable of doing 0 freaking damage.

i think it's more like, if your attack is so low, then even with halving the enemy's defense it doesn't make you do more damage, so Luna effectively would add zero or a minuscule amount of damage as well. Glimmer would be the same against those enemies, but may perform better than Luna against squisher targets that aren't immune to your low Atk.

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

Wait, this makes no sense. As your damage gets closer and closer to 0, that means your damage should be closer and closer to 0 since it's still X + (X * 50%) which isn't that great. That's as far as my basic understanding of limits go.

Glimmer gets better relative to the other damage skills, it's still pretty bad:

This is because Glimmer is a special that's best against people with crappy def and res, and, as your Atk stat gets worse, those kind of units become the only ones you can kill, with or without special, so DA's advantage vs. people with extant defense disappears.

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

What's his +stat? Glimmer is only better than the alternatives if Bonfire, Iceberg, Dragonic Aura, and Vengeance won't work for you. (Luna doesn't actually help much when your Atk is crap, since the people Luna is best against are people weak sauce units like Jakob won't KO regardless.) If Jakob's +Def or +Res it feels like Ignis, Bonfire, Iceberg, and Glacies would be better.

The reason Glimmer performs better on units with crap attack is because the wins it gets are the ones against the kind of unit -Atk Jakob could kill (slow asses with crappy ass defense), and Glimmer amplifies the flaw.

I give zero shits about KOing things with Jakob.  -Atk isn't made for that.

My goal is to do damage - 1 point is better than 0, and by my calculations, it takes MUCH higher defense to block out Luna than every other proc.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I give zero shits about KOing things with Jakob.  -Atk isn't made for that.

My goal is to do damage - 1 point is better than 0, and by my calculations, it takes MUCH higher defense to block out Luna than every other proc.

If you want to just poke for damage, just use Ignis, Bonfire, Iceberg, or Glacies. Jakob's defense stats are actually pretty good. Even vs. a dude with 80 def, Jakob would still force this Bonfire/Iceberg through.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure, does Ignis get blocked by def if your Atk is total dumpster tier?

According to the calculator, it does, and +Def Jakob Ignis matches Luna at 50 def. Higher than Luna is better (until 65ish, when 0 damage starts happening), lower and Ignis is better. Bonfire matches at 32 def.

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

If you want to just poke for damage, just use Ignis, Bonfire, Iceberg, or Glacies. Jakob's defense stats are actually pretty good. Even vs. a dude with 80 def, Jakob would still force this Bonfire/Iceberg through.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure, does Ignis get blocked by def if your Atk is total dumpster tier?

The Defense threshold for Ignis is roughly 67 - much better than Glimmer's 52.  Luna's is 69.

Now, to actually GET Ignis or Luna.

Just now, eclipse said:

The Defense threshold for Ignis is roughly 67 - much better than Glimmer's 52.  Luna's is 69.

Well, you could use a spare copy of F!Robin for Ignis, maybe. Depends on how much you think you'd need B Tomebreaker I guess?

Just now, eclipse said:

Um, glimmer's threshold is 35, it doesn't add damage if you don't have damage. (You might be thinking of Dragon Fang).

The reason it's good on low Atk units is because it helps those units kill the only units it can kill. (People without Hp/Def/Res)

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, you could use a spare copy of F!Robin for Ignis, maybe. Depends on how much you think you'd need B Tomebreaker I guess?

B Tomebreaker is more relevant to my interests.  I'd need several Henrys, for various purposes.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Um, glimmer's threshold is 35, it doesn't add damage if you don't have damage. (You might be thinking of Dragon Fang).

The reason it's good on low Atk units is because it helps those units kill the only units it can kill. (People without Hp/Def/Res)

That's an even worse case for Glimmer, especially for my purposes.

Just now, eclipse said:

B Tomebreaker is more relevant to my interests.  I'd need several Henrys, for various purposes.

That's an even worse case for Glimmer, especially for my purposes.

Yeah, glimmer is like: If this special is the best for you, you shouldn't be using an offensive special.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Yeah, glimmer is like: If this special is the best for you, you shouldn't be using an offensive special.

Unless you can't use a defensive special. ;/

In which case, you should re-evaluate that unit's purpose in life.  Jakob, at least, can debuff like no one's business and hand out a Rally as necessary.

Ugh.

I think there's a glitch in my game now that's causing the brave lance to sometimes lose its effect of always striking at least twice. Abel only hits a total of one time sometimes now and I've never seen this happen with a brave weapon before. And I've used Klein, Abel, and Donnel who all have brave weapons. Especially Klein.

It's been costing me matches in the training tower because I expect Abel to hit twice and kill, but he doesn't and gets killed instead. >_>

The AI is a lot smarter than they appear though. They somehow keep getting around Swordbreaker to kill Abel too. Or I just fucking suck. Maybe I should just quit. I can't just keep taking breaks from the game.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Ugh.

I think there's a glitch in my game now that's causing the brave lance to sometimes lose its effect of always striking at least twice. Abel only hits a total of one time sometimes now and I've never seen this happen with a brave weapon before. And I've used Klein, Abel, and Donnel who all have brave weapons. Especially Klein.

It's been costing me matches in the training tower because I expect Abel to hit twice and kill, but he doesn't and gets killed instead. >_>

The AI is a lot smarter than they appear though. They somehow keep getting around Swordbreaker to kill Abel too. Or I just fucking suck. Maybe I should just quit. I can't just keep taking breaks from the game.

Brave effect is player phase only. Abel should not be tanking too many hits on enemy phase since brave lance drops his speed by 5.

1 minute ago, Korath88 said:

Brave effect is player phase only. Abel should not be tanking too many hits on enemy phase since brave lance drops his speed by 5.

Never saw anything that said it's player phase only. Can you prove this? And I'm not trying to let him take a lot of hits.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Never saw anything that said it's player phase only. Can you prove this? And I'm not trying to let him take a lot of hits.

It's literally in his weapon's description, if you check his skills; Brave weapons only hit twice when you initiate combat. Klein can hit twice on Enemy Phase because of his Quick Riposte. The Brave weapons worked like this in Fates, too.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Here's the description of a Brave weapon:

Spd-5. Attack twice when initiating combat.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

On the description for brave weapons it states that when initiating an attack you attack twice. All brave weapons in this game are like that.

Edited by predator_21476