"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Quick question about the defensive properties of gem weapons i.e. Ruby Sword.

Is there a difference between the defensive properties of Ruby Sword and Ruby Sword+? I know offensively the +version has more damage output, but I'm thinking of putting it on Olivia so would the defensive property of a normal Ruby Sword be enough?

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mcsilas said:

Quick question about the defensive properties of gem weapons i.e. Ruby Sword.

Is there a difference between the defensive properties of Ruby Sword and Ruby Sword+? I know offensively the +version has more damage output, but I'm thinking of putting it on Olivia so would the defensive property of a normal Ruby Sword be enough?

Both version have innate Triangle Adept 3, this property doesn't differ.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

I just pulled a +Res/-Def Laslow.  He amuses me.  I'm pretty sure that he'd rather be +Atk or +Spd, but I'll take what I can get.  The question is: What would be a somewhat effective build on a unit with max stats of 44/35/26/27/25?

Laslow has a really good Attack stat- as good as Hana, but his Speed could be better.

Maybe something like

A- Fury/Death Blow

B- Swordbreaker (even though he has Axebreaker, this is more for coverage)

C- Threaten Def/Speed

Special could be either Moonbow or maybe Draconic Aura? If you have a spare Karel, then Wo Dao+ would be good for his special.

Ok good to know on gem weapons, although I'm gonna miss Olivia's Silver Sword.

Edited by mcsilas

I just got a tip from Feh about being on the winning end of a triangle showing "bigger numbers". Are the numbers actually visibly bigger, or just numerically bigger? Because if it's the latter... that owl ain't very wise.

8 hours ago, TearingShadows said:

Need some advice to point me in a direction on who to gold next. The four in the team slot are her main ones I'd rather gold, but free units are an option too. I mainly just want units to cover my missing roles of red mage, physical lance,Mand physical green. Raigh is +spd -hp but I have a +atk-hp raigh as well (which is better?. Shanna is +atk-hp. 

image.jpg

Don't promote units to 5* just to fill roles. Unless they are crucial to some sort of team composition you want to run, you should hold out for top tier units and only promote those good units. Save your feathers for stuff like Zephiel and Xander. Sharena and Anna are actually good units and with them, Alphonse cycles in and out of being bonus units at the arena.

36 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I just got a tip from Feh about being on the winning end of a triangle showing "bigger numbers". Are the numbers actually visibly bigger, or just numerically bigger? Because if it's the latter... that owl ain't very wise.

The actual numbers that show up when dealing and taking damage have 3 sizes. Small if the attack was at WT Disadvantage, normal for neutral damage and large for WT Advantage.

5 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

The actual numbers that show up when dealing and taking damage have 3 sizes. Small if the attack was at WT Disadvantage, normal for neutral damage and large for WT Advantage.

In battle or the previews? I'm not one with an eye for this kind of thing...

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

In battle or the previews? I'm not one with an eye for this kind of thing...

During the battle animations, the numbers that appear above the character's head when they get hit.

To add a bit more context, I do have a small degree of favoritism. I ve wanted to promote one of the free units who gets less attention but chrom does everything alfonse does better. I literally have no other blues besides Shanna and sharena who will turn out good with the inherits I have.

14 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I use a Gronnraven+ B Camilla myself and she's been outstanding and has had a spot on my core team ever since I got her. Gronnblade+ in a flier team is certainly great too, but that'll take a lot of SP, inheritance, and feathers to get a full meme team running really well, so I don't think you need to prioritize feathers for that.(unless you really want a flier team anyway) She'll still be a very solid blue/colorless wrecker just as you're already building her. I'd sacrifice that 4* Henry too, to drop G Tomebreaker on her so she can also stand up to Julia, Nino and herself if they don't run their own GTB.

You have a bunch of good units, and out of what you have (and mostly going by their initial skill sets since you want to be inexpensive) I'd probably say Leo/Ninian/Effie/Camilla. Kind of a tossup between Leo and Corrin but Corrin's base skills are pretty meh, and if you can't afford to skill inheritance him right now I think Leo will serve you better since he needs less help. (already comes with Quick Riposte and such) If you can, just try to put Swap/Pivot on Effie if you haven't already, so she's less of a burden to move around, and I think that'll be perfectly fine team.

Running Hector instead of Camilla is another consideration, and he doesn't need much inheritance help, but running 2 slow armors if you also use Effie might be a bit frustrating to move both around.

Corrin has pretty good base stats.  His issue is he is a red infantry that doesn't have anything special.  I didn't think about using Effie - I'll have to try that.  I suppose her lack of mobility is justified with a red ranged unit that can move 3 spaces to back her up (attack 4 spaces away). 

Jaffar has been my fill-in unit for quite a while.  It's sad because he's really good - just not good enough.  He often falls short by 3-4 damage against units or doesn't just barely survive against others.  He's so close to being amazing, but he's just off a bit.

And yea, I feel like I have a lot of great units but they don't have synergy which is causing problems. 

What's a better nature for Klein?

-atk/+res or +atk/-res?

I was lucky enough to pull 2 copies but unfortunately the boons/banes are just the opposite of the other. I know most people prefer atk+ since he has the nasty brave bow and death blow combo, but my argument for the +res nature is that it adds a bit more damage to his special Glacies and the fact that it triggers most of the time because of his average speed combined with brave bow, the results are beyond excellent.

So which Klein is more desirable? Should I keep both? Would it be wise to transfer the extra Klein's QR/DB to other useful units? 

4 minutes ago, Lucıůs said:

-atk/+res or +atk/-res?

I was lucky enough to pull 2 copies but unfortunately the boons/banes are just the opposite of the other. I know most people prefer atk+ since he has the nasty brave bow and death blow combo, but my argument for the +res nature is that it adds a bit more damage to his special Glacies and the fact that it triggers most of the time because of his average speed combined with brave bow, the results are beyond excellent.

So which Klein is more desirable? Should I keep both? Would it be wise to transfer the extra Klein's QR/DB to other useful units? 

Depends if he's being paired with units that can survive mage hits.  You always need a lure or two to get mages to come by you and Klein can be a great once since he's typeless and has enough resistance/speed to survive most of the time.  Additionally, what you said about glacies will help him attack too.

His brave bow also makes him profit from attack twice as much in some cases so +atk if you have other mage tanks.  +dmg on every hit > +less dmg on every four hits.

Edited by Lushen

3 minutes ago, Lucıůs said:

-atk/+res or +atk/-res?

Easily +Atk

+Res adds far less to his damage output (even taking Glacies into account) than +Atk does, and the nature of the first one is hurt even more by the fact that he's -Atk. I also think that Glacies is best replaced with Luna or another 3-cd special (Luna gives him the best matchup spread, with Draconic Aura coming in second) because since he's a Brave Bow unit, he'd be able to proc those skills every other round of combat, which adds a lot to his overall damage output. 

And yes, I would use the extra Klein for Death Blow fodder since he's the only unit that gets DB3 at 4*, which is invaluable. 

9 minutes ago, Lucıůs said:

-atk/+res or +atk/-res?

+atk. +res would add 80% of 7=5 damage to a glacies proc while +atk would add 7 damage to every hit. Kleins damage while activating glacies will still be higher with (+atk -res) then if he was (+res -atk). The only reason to run +res is if you want him to tank mages, but he is better of just nuking them on player phase (though for +res, Reinhard needs death blow to kill Klein).

6 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Depends if he's being paired with units that can survive mage hits.  You always need a lure or two to get mages to come by you and Klein can be a great once since he's typeless and has enough resistance/speed to survive most of the time.  Additionally, what you said about glacies will help him attack too.

His brave bow also makes him profit from attack twice as much in some cases so +atk if you have other mage tanks.  +dmg on every hit > +less dmg on every four hits.

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Easily +Atk

+Res adds far less to his damage output (even taking Glacies into account) than +Atk does, and the nature of the first one is hurt even more by the fact that he's -Atk. I also think that Glacies is best replaced with Luna or another 3-cd special (Luna gives him the best matchup spread, with Draconic Aura coming in second) because since he's a Brave Bow unit, he'd be able to proc those skills every other round of combat, which adds a lot to his overall damage output. 

And yes, I would use the extra Klein for Death Blow fodder since he's the only unit that gets DB3 at 4*, which is invaluable. 

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm now going to build the +atk Klein since your arguments make real sense (and I wish I had done this sooner!).

Also I haven't thought about replacing his Special so that really laid an idea upon my noggin.

All right, I'll see if I can have someone inherit his DB. 

Spoiler

Though I kind of have this second thoughts about feeding 5☆s away. But if it contributes to my team's performance, then I guess that's considerable.

I appreciate your contributions! :^_^:

1 minute ago, Lucıůs said:

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm now going to build the +atk Klein since your arguments make real sense (and I wish I had done this sooner!).

Also I haven't thought about replacing his Special so that really laid an idea upon my noggin.

All right, I'll see if I can have someone inherit his DB. 

Hide contents

Though I kind of have this second thoughts about feeding 5☆s away. But if it contributes to my team's performance, then I guess that's considerable.

I appreciate your contributions! :^_^:

Oh wait it's a 5* Klein? In that case feeding him for his Brave Bow+ might be more valuable than feeding him for his Death Blow. 

Off the top of my head, Takumi and Setsuna both make better Brave archers than Klein (though both require skill inheritance in addition to the bow to shine). 

17 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

+atk. +res would add 80% of 7=5 damage to a glacies proc while +atk would add 7 damage to every hit. Kleins damage while activating glacies will still be higher with (+atk -res) then if he was (+res -atk). The only reason to run +res is if you want him to tank mages, but he is better of just nuking them on player phase (though for +res, Reinhard needs death blow to kill Klein).

You actually calculated the stuff! I never bothered to do so because I just immediately thought that the damage of his +res would be huge. After seeing your calculations, I realized that the disparity is only minimal. Thank you for this! And I agree that res is only really useful for enemy phase or if you're planning to bait mages off. But Klein does really shine in Player phase so +res can be disregarded.

12 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Oh wait it's a 5* Klein? In that case feeding him for his Brave Bow+ might be more valuable than feeding him for his Death Blow. 

Off the top of my head, Takumi and Setsuna both make better Brave archers than Klein (though both require skill inheritance in addition to the bow to shine). 

Good thing I pulled a neutral Takumi in the Hero Fest banner! Is Brave bow really good for him? I mean, won't that affect his speed and all...? I mainly use him for baiting and defense since he has counter and by doing so, he usually double attacks. Another candidate I was looking for the Brave bow is Rebecca since she has darting blow... but idk I don't use her that much. :lol: I'm always #TeamKlein <3

Edited by Lucıůs

You actually calculated the stuff! I never bothered to do so because I just immidiately thought that the damage of his +res would actually be huge. After seeing your calculations, I realized that the disparity is only minimal. Thank you for this! And I agree that res is only really useful for enemy phase or if you're planning to bait mages off. But Klein does really shine in Player phase so +res can be disregarded.

Good thing I pulled a neutral Takumi in the Hero Fest banner! Is Brave bow really good for him? I mean, won't that affect his speed and all...? I mainly use him for baiting and defense since he has counter and by doing so, he usually double attacks. Another candidate I was looking for the Brave bow is Rebecca since she dadting blow... but idk I don't use her that much. :lol: I'm always #TeamKlein <3

A neutral Takumi with Brave Bow+ and Life and Death (better matchup spread than if he runs Death Blow) still has a better matchup spread than a +Atk Klein with Brave Bow+ and Death Blow (Klein's too slow to run Life and Death), especially with Luna as his special instead of Vengeance. 

34 minutes ago, Lucıůs said:

but my argument for the +res nature is that it adds a bit more damage to his special Glacies

[+Atk, -Res] is +3 damage on normal hits and +0 damage on a Glacies hit relative to neutral.

[+Res, -Atk] is -4 damage on normal hits and -1 damage on a Glacies hit relative to neutral.

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

A neutral Takumi with Brave Bow+ and Life and Death (better matchup spread than if he runs Death Blow) still has a better matchup spread than a +Atk Klein with Brave Bow+ and Death Blow (Klein's too slow to run Life and Death), especially with Luna as his special instead of Vengeance. 

I forgot Life and Death can compensate for the speed penalty... but no 4☆ unit has the complete chain... and that's an A passive skill which means Close counter will be replaced. :unsure:

Just now, Lucıůs said:

I forgot Life and Death can compensate for the speed penalty... but no 4☆ unit has the complete chain... and that's an A passive skill which means Close counter will be replaced. :unsure:

Close Counter is really mostly good for being on a defense team, and even then it's overrated. You get far more mileage out of improving Takumi's killing power on player phase during Arena offense battles. 

I'll concede that it does require more investment, which is why you should really only go this route if you really like Takumi. But since I'm giving advice, I feel like I owe it to you to at least tell you your options from a long-term optimization standpoint. 

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

[+Atk, -Res] is +3 damage on normal hits and +0 damage on a Glacies hit relative to neutral.

[+Res, -Atk] is -4 damage on normal hits and -1 damage on a Glacies hit relative to neutral.

Wait... so all this time, I've been living a lie?! Dear lord... I should've known. Now I really am decided to use the +atk instead. Much obliged!!

8 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Close Counter is really mostly good for being on a defense team, and even then it's overrated. You get far more mileage out of improving Takumi's killing power on player phase during Arena offense battles. 

I'll concede that it does require more investment, which is why you should really only go this route if you really like Takumi. But since I'm giving advice, I feel like I owe it to you to at least tell you your options from a long-term optimization standpoint. 

It's okay! I understand your perspective. In fact, you've given me a good number of possibilities with Takumi as well as Klein.

That suggested Pineapple build sure looks deadly optimal but i'm not quite sure if I have the resources to attain that build... I also don't use any of these archers in the arena (I'm part of the Reinhardt bandwagon, shame!) but Klein has always been with me first than Takumi and he's proved his worth since day one. :)

Just now, Lucıůs said:

Wait... so all this time, I've been living a lie?! Dear lord... I should've known. Now I really am decided to use the +atk instead. Much obliged!!

It's okay! I understand your perspective. In fact, you've given me a good number of possibilities with Takumi as well as Klein.

That suggested Pineapple build sure looks deadly optimal but i'm not quite sure if I have the resources to attain that build... I also don't use any of these archers in the arena (I'm part of the Reinhardt bandwagon, shame!) but Klein has always been with me first than Takumi and he's proved his worth since day one. :)

Honestly the main thing holding me back from building that Takumi (besides resources and the fact that I don't love Takumi quite enough to spend 40k feathers on him) is that he wouldn't do anything I'm not already doing with Reinhardt. There are a few greens that Rein can't kill, like Julia, but I have Ryoma for that. 

Still, for other people who aren't in the same boat as us, Brave Bow Takumi could be a really great offensive unit :D

So I pulled 3 Sorens on my cavalry account hunting for Titania (whose being annoying).  Does Soren's watersweep have any functional use on a cavalry team or should I just merge them all for +2 and use him for challenges and such?  I don't think watersweep is going to be very useful because the mage horses have very low speed...

12 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Honestly the main thing holding me back from building that Takumi (besides resources and the fact that I don't love Takumi quite enough to spend 40k feathers on him) is that he wouldn't do anything I'm not already doing with Reinhardt. There are a few greens that Rein can't kill, like Julia, but I have Ryoma for that. 

Still, for other people who aren't in the same boat as us, Brave Bow Takumi could be a really great offensive unit :D

Totally agree with you on this one! Y'know, on the moment he was first released, I quickly said to myself: "This kid will do great things in this world." 

And now here he is, deleting every Lucinas, Ikes, Marths, and even Takumis off the arena with his tiny hands! That makes me a proud monk :')

Edited by Lucıůs

Totally agree with you on this one! Y'know, on the moment he was first released, I quickly said to myself: "This kid will do great things in this world." 

And now here he is, deleting every Lucinas, Ikes, Marths, and even Takumis off the arena! That makes me a proud monk :')

I feel dirty every time I OHKO Hector (or any green unit) with Reinhardt tbh