"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

I had a question about Horse Emblem teams. I'm wanting to make one, but most of my best cavalary units are 4 stars only. 4*, Reinhardt, Ursula, Xander, Cecilia, Gunther, Frederick. I also have 5* Olwen, Peri, and Eliwood. I know most teams run Reinhardt and Cecilia (probably cause only green I believe.) I'm just not that good at knowing skill inheritance I should do and other things. I'm at max unit I have full 200, so I have a lot of stuff I can probably skill inherit from, just not sure what's worth it though. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sleypnyr said:

I had a question about Horse Emblem teams. I'm wanting to make one, but most of my best cavalary units are 4 stars only. 4*, Reinhardt, Ursula, Xander, Cecilia, Gunther, Frederick. I also have 5* Olwen, Peri, and Eliwood. I know most teams run Reinhardt and Cecilia (probably cause only green I believe.) I'm just not that good at knowing skill inheritance I should do and other things. I'm at max unit I have full 200, so I have a lot of stuff I can probably skill inherit from, just not sure what's worth it though. 

You have a Nino or an Odin for blade tome Cecilia or Ursula?

Alternatively you can 5 star Reinhardt, give him Death blow 3 and all you'd need is hone and he becomes OP

Olwen has a bit less attack though so.....

Just now, Sleypnyr said:

Horse emblem comes in two flavors, I think:

Nukes on wheels and walls on wheels. Nukes on wheels rely on -Blade tomes and Cavalry buffs to give every single cav-mage and additional 30 damage a hit (6 from +Atk buff, +24 from +6 atk/spd/def/res due to bladetome.) This means horse mages more or less 1HKO everyone, with a decent shot at doubling as well.

Walls on wheels is mostly just Fortify Cavalry, squat on a defensive tile, and watch Xander (or some other unit with Distant counter) obliterate everyone with QR & Bonfire.

Nukes on wheels needs Fortify and Hone, 2 copies each on the team, as well as a blade tome for every mage bar Olwen and Reinhardt (Brave Tomes are good enough that even with max buffs the damage isn't too different.)

Walls on wheels wants someone who can 1-2 range counter (Xander, Camus eventually, and of course Distant Counter), and enough defensive buffs (wards and fortifies) that incoming damage is negligible. Hones Cav is still great here, but a single copy on the team is probably enough. Note that the advantage of walls on wheels is that cavalry healers exist, so you can play the long game. Kill 1 unit a turn, heal up while you run away, and then squat on a different defense tile.

10 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

You have a Nino or an Odin for blade tome Cecilia or Ursula?

Alternatively you can 5 star Reinhardt, give him Death blow 3 and all you'd need is hone and he becomes OP

Olwen has a bit less attack though so.....

I have 3 Nino's and 3 Odin's so I can definitely inherit a few of them. The only Death Blow 3 user I have is Klein. I'm assuming it's probably not worth 20k feather to raise Hawkeye to 5 star to inherit. When I need to raise REinhardt anyways. 

Just now, Sleypnyr said:

I have 3 Nino's and 3 Odin's so I can definitely inherit a few of them. The only Death Blow 3 user I have is Klein. I'm assuming it's probably not worth 20k feather to raise Hawkeye to 5 star to inherit. When I need to raise REinhardt anyways. 

YES

Keep Hone on Gunter and use his hone to buff Xander AND Reinhardt (Death blow Rein already puts in work but hone makes him go nuts)

Reinhardt wants Death blow in the A slot

Xander wants fury and Vantage

Not too sure about Gunter's builds, but you can use him as vanilla since he's going to get buffed anyway

The fourth slot is gonna be Eliwood, and you're supposed to give him Death blow as well, but I'm not sure how many Kleins you have

If you have another Eliwood by chance, give Ward Cavalry to Xander! It'll help make Gunter extra fat if he needs it

I only gave you some basic things to start with, but if you want FULL BUILDS I can help with that

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

YES

Keep Hone on Gunter and use his hone to buff Xander AND Reinhardt (Death blow Rein already puts in work but hone makes him go nuts)

Reinhardt wants Death blow in the A slot

Xander wants fury and Vantage

Not too sure about Gunter's builds, but you can use him as vanilla since he's going to get buffed anyway

The fourth slot is gonna be Eliwood, and you're supposed to give him Death blow as well, but I'm not sure how many Kleins you have

If you have another Eliwood by chance, give Ward Cavalry to Xander! It'll help make Gunter extra fat if he needs it

I only gave you some basic things to start with, but if you want FULL BUILDS I can help with that

Full builds will be nice. I actually gave Reinhardt Hone Cavalary already, as I had 4 Gunther's and went over the cap and so I got rid of one. I only have the 1 Klein, so unfortunately don't have many Death Blows to give out. The only Vantage I have is a single Lon'que (besides Reinhardt, but obviously not going to be getting rid of him.)

@Sleypnyr There is no real need to 5* Reinhardt if you have an Olwen and are planning to run a cavalry team. 

Reinhardt is better than Olwen on non-horse teams, but Olwen actually has a much better matchup spread if she's on a horse team (since she actually has really high speed, so Life and Death + Hone Cavalry allow her to quad attack most of the metagame. If she also has Desperation inherited, she can get in those quad attacks without retaliation from ranged units, which allows her to obliterate all but a few greens). I would also give her Luna, which she'd be able to proc every round of combat if she quads and lets her burst down just about any threat in the game.

Xander also makes much better use of Quick Riposte than Vantage especially on a cavalry team since he has Fortify Cavalry buffs to help him keep Quick Riposte up. In terms of specials, I would also highly recommend replacing Blazing Light with Bonfire since 5-cd AoE specials basically never activate, but Bonfire gives him a good source of reliable burst damage.

There's also no real reason to keep Eliwood around (unless you just like him) when you have Xander, so I would honestly suggest replacing him with Cecilia with inherited Gronnblade for massive amounts of nuke damage with cavalry buffs. However, this is for if Xander is 5* and has Siefried. At the moment, Eliwood will still serve you well since he's a 5* unit and would greatly appreciate Life and Death in his A-slot with Swordbreaker in his B (Axebreaker is unnecessary since he's already going to obliterate any axe unit). 

Gunter's skillset doesn't matter too much since he's really just there for the Hone Cavalry buff. I would give Fortify Cavalry to Olwen if you can since she doesn't need the buff at all, but Xander/Eliwood would appreciate it while Gronnblade Cecilia also gets additional burst damage from it. 

22 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

@Sleypnyr There is no real need to 5* Reinhardt if you have an Olwen and are planning to run a cavalry team. 

Reinhardt is better than Olwen on non-horse teams, but Olwen actually has a much better matchup spread if she's on a horse team (since she actually has really high speed, so Life and Death + Hone Cavalry allow her to quad attack most of the metagame. If she also has Desperation inherited, she can get in those quad attacks without retaliation from ranged units, which allows her to obliterate all but a few greens). I would also give her Luna, which she'd be able to proc every round of combat if she quads and lets her burst down just about any threat in the game.

Xander also makes much better use of Quick Riposte than Vantage especially on a cavalry team since he has Fortify Cavalry buffs to help him keep Quick Riposte up. In terms of specials, I would also highly recommend replacing Blazing Light with Bonfire since 5-cd AoE specials basically never activate, but Bonfire gives him a good source of reliable burst damage.

There's also no real reason to keep Eliwood around (unless you just like him) when you have Xander, so I would honestly suggest replacing him with Cecilia with inherited Gronnblade for massive amounts of nuke damage with cavalry buffs. However, this is for if Xander is 5* and has Siefried. At the moment, Eliwood will still serve you well since he's a 5* unit and would greatly appreciate Life and Death in his A-slot with Swordbreaker in his B (Axebreaker is unnecessary since he's already going to obliterate any axe unit). 

Gunter's skillset doesn't matter too much since he's really just there for the Hone Cavalry buff. I would give Fortify Cavalry to Olwen if you can since she doesn't need the buff at all, but Xander/Eliwood would appreciate it while Gronnblade Cecilia also gets additional burst damage from it. 

I have 60k feathers, so I can level up at least 2 units to 5* may save the others if I need to upgrade 3* for inheritance reasons. I have multiple Subaki's so I can definitely do a Quick Riposte 2, but I have  units that have a Qucik Riposte 3 as an option. Should I just give Xander Quick RIposte 2 or is that a waste?

2 hours ago, Fruity Insanity said:

Thanks.

So I need to find 6 friends by Friday. Damn.

Hmmm

What makes you any different from anyone else for me to give you a request?

Cause I might consider it.....

Just now, Sleypnyr said:

I have 60k feathers, so I can level up at least 2 units to 5* may save the others if I need to upgrade 3* for inheritance reasons. I have multiple Subaki's so I can definitely do a Quick Riposte 2, but I have  units that have a Qucik Riposte 3 as an option. Should I just give Xander Quick RIposte 2 or is that a waste?

QR2 is enough

18 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Where are you getting those numbers? DB 3 Rein is consistently better than L&D Olwen given the same amount of buffs. (+Atk Rein > +Atk Olwen >> +Spd Olwen). With Luna, Olwen nabs about 3 more kills than Rein given +6/+6 from Hone, but Fury 3 on enemies brings +Atk Olwen below special-less Rein again, although +Spd Olwen is now the best of the lot by 1 kill.

Their both similar enough that the fact Rein can just run Dragonic Aura means that he should edge out Olwen---Rein can 2HKO enough threats without his special that DA will always be up when he needs it.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Where are you getting those numbers? DB 3 Rein is consistently better than L&D Olwen given the same amount of buffs. (+Atk Rein > +Atk Olwen >> +Spd Olwen). With Luna, Olwen nabs about 3 more kills than Rein given +6/+6 from Hone, but Fury 3 on enemies brings +Atk Olwen below special-less Rein again, although +Spd Olwen is now the best of the lot by 1 kill.

Their both similar enough that the fact Rein can just run Dragonic Aura means that he should edge out Olwen---Rein can 2HKO enough threats without his special that DA will always be up when he needs it.

+Atk Reinhardt with Death Blow, Lancebreaker, Draconic Aura, the Atk +1 seal, and a Hone Cavalry buff has a matchup spread of 114/1/10

+Spd Olwen with Life and Death, Desperation, Luna, the Spd +1 seal, and a Hone Cavalry buff has a matchup spread of 116/3/6

The difference is slight, but it favors Olwen. 

And also, even if there was no difference between their matchup spreads, he already has a 5* Olwen while his Reinhardt is only 4*. That alone should be enough reason to choose Olwen. There's no reason to spend 20k feathers on Reinhardt when he already has an Olwen unless Rein's matchup spread is far better (or if he just likes Rein more), which it isn't.

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

+Atk Reinhardt with Death Blow, Lancebreaker, Draconic Aura, the Atk +1 seal, and a Hone Cavalry buff has a matchup spread of 114/1/10

+Spd Olwen with Life and Death, Desperation, Luna, the Spd +1 seal, and a Hone Cavalry buff has a matchup spread of 116/3/6

The difference is slight, but it favors Olwen. 

And also, even if there was no difference between their matchup spreads, he already has a 5* Olwen while his Reinhardt is only 4*. That alone should be enough reason to choose Olwen. There's no reason to spend 20k feathers on Reinhardt when he already has an Olwen unless Rein's matchup spread is far better (or if he just likes Rein more), which it isn't.

L&D is 5* only, DB 3 is available from 4* Klein, and an unoptimized Rein should >>> unoptimized Olwen for the simple reason that Rein not on horse team beats Olwen on horse team. The cost of finishing both builds is the same, since it's 20k feathers into a L&D carrier or 20k feathers into Rein.

Edit: Also, I got 114 wins for both using your build, with Olwen having 2 more losses (3 losses v. 1).

Spoiler

Edited by DehNutCase

L&D is 5* only, DB 3 is available from 4* Klein, and an unoptimized Rein should >>> unoptimized Olwen for the simple reason that Rein not on horse team beats Olwen on horse team. The cost of finishing both builds is the same, since it's 20k feathers into a L&D carrier or 20k feathers into Rein.

I agree that Rein > Olwen on a non-horse team, but that's irrelevant since @Sleypnyr is specifically asking for advice about a horse team.

Even if he settles for LD 2, Olwen still has a fantastic matchup spread, and the extra handful of green kills Rein gets (because really, both of them kill all non-greens fine) is not at all worth promoting Rein when he already has Olwen.

This is an especially moot point since he already has Xander/Eliwood to take care of greens, so he really only needs Rein/Olwen to take care of non-greens, which she does well enough even with LD 2 to not warrant spending 20k feathers on Reinhardt.

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I agree that Rein > Olwen on a non-horse team, but that's irrelevant since @Sleypnyr is specifically asking for advice about a horse team.

Even if he settles for LD 2, Olwen still has a fantastic matchup spread, and the extra handful of green kills Rein gets (because really, both of them kill all non-greens fine) is not at all worth promoting Rein when he already has Olwen.

This is an especially moot point since he already has Xander/Eliwood to take care of greens, so he really only needs Rein/Olwen to take care of non-greens, which she does well enough even with LD 2 to not warrant spending 20k feathers on Reinhardt.

I don't have my Olwen at 40 yet, so I haven't checked her IV's. My Reinhardt is +Def/-Res, so it isn't the +Atk you were hoping for. 

Just now, Sleypnyr said:

I don't have my Olwen at 40 yet, so I haven't checked her IV's. My Reinhardt is +Def/-Res, so it isn't the +Atk you were hoping for. 

If anything that's just even more reason to stick with Olwen. 

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

An unoptimal Olwen on a horse team is similar to a Olwen not on a horse team, which is why I assumed Rein would be superior, given that unoptimal both on horse team is similar to both not on horse team.

If it's a moot point, then he should go with the unit that has the better match-up spread, which is Rein for 2 reasons: According to the calculator, best base scenarios are similar for both, but rein has better worst cases. B-Tomebreaker doesn't do jack to him since he always 2HKOs, Vantage has a hell of a time going through 65 physical bulk (v. L&D Olwen's 49, which basically every single melee can reach, even 62 to 1HKO for reds is possible, if difficult), Rein will always have Dragonic Aura up during his second combat (unless he one hit KOd during the first one), which gives him better 'on-demand' coverage. (Same reason that, even though TKJ has similar spread to Setsuna, they're nontheless better offensive units not just because of their best case, but because they can afford to run specials to kill the things they wouldn't, normally.)

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

An unoptimal Olwen on a horse team is similar to a Olwen not on a horse team, which is why I assumed Rein would be superior, given that unoptimal both on horse team is similar to both not on horse team.

If it's a moot point, then he should go with the unit that has the better match-up spread, which is Rein for 2 reasons: According to the calculator, best base scenarios are similar for both, but rein has better worst cases. B-Tomebreaker doesn't do jack to him since he always 2HKOs, Vantage has a hell of a time going through 65 physical bulk (v. L&D Olwen's 49, which basically every single melee can reach, even 62 to 1HKO for reds is possible, if difficult), Rein will always have Dragonic Aura up during his second combat (unless he one hit KOd during the first one), which gives him better 'on-demand' coverage. (Same reason that, even though TKJ has similar spread to Setsuna, they're nontheless better offensive units not just because of their best case, but because they can afford to run specials to kill the things they wouldn't, normally.)

I'm not entirely sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean.

For the paragraph though: the key point is that, as you say, "best case scenarios are similar for both". 

If they're similar, does it not make sense for him to go with the unit that's already at 5* rather than spending 20k feathers to promote the other one?

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I don't remember the exact calculations or the newspost, but you get 100 points per flag with 10+ friends, less with fewer, +10% for running the character you sided with.

@Alkaid

You get 50 points per flag at base. Every friend on your friends list adds 5 points up to a maximum of 10 friends for 50 points. Fielding the character whose team you are on adds an additional 10% on top of everything else.

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

Horse emblem comes in two flavors, I think:

Nukes on wheels and walls on wheels. Nukes on wheels rely on -Blade tomes and Cavalry buffs to give every single cav-mage and additional 30 damage a hit (6 from +Atk buff, +24 from +6 atk/spd/def/res due to bladetome.) This means horse mages more or less 1HKO everyone, with a decent shot at doubling as well.

Walls on wheels is mostly just Fortify Cavalry, squat on a defensive tile, and watch Xander (or some other unit with Distant counter) obliterate everyone with QR & Bonfire.

Nukes on wheels needs Fortify and Hone, 2 copies each on the team, as well as a blade tome for every mage bar Olwen and Reinhardt (Brave Tomes are good enough that even with max buffs the damage isn't too different.)

Walls on wheels wants someone who can 1-2 range counter (Xander, Camus eventually, and of course Distant Counter), and enough defensive buffs (wards and fortifies) that incoming damage is negligible. Hones Cav is still great here, but a single copy on the team is probably enough. Note that the advantage of walls on wheels is that cavalry healers exist, so you can play the long game. Kill 1 unit a turn, heal up while you run away, and then squat on a different defense tile.

I find that running both Hone Cavalry and Ward Cavalry is unnecessary and overkill. An offensive team really only needs Hone Cavalry to be effective.

If it works to run both buffs, that's fine, but there definitely should be a mention of the Hone-only variant, which gives more flexibility at the cost of less damage output for your Litrblade cavalry.

34 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Rein not on horse team beats Olwen on horse team.

Except that a properly built Olwen on a horse team beats Reinhardt whether or not Reinhardt is on a horse team.

Edited by Ice Dragon

10 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

For the paragraph though: the key point is that, as you say, "best case scenarios are similar for both". 

If they're similar, does it not make sense for him to go with the unit that's already at 5* rather than spending 20k feathers to promote the other one?

First sentence means: The strength of a +6/+6 buffed unit without a perfect a-skill is similar to the strength of a non-buffed, or +4/+4 buffed unit with a perfect a-skill. (Non-optimal unit on horse team vs. Optimal unit not on horse team.) This was why I was comparing their non-horse team spreads.

If the best-case scenarios are similar, then it's time to optimize for worst case scenarios. For example, let's say there's a unit that KOs all the 100% of the cast during player phase, and gets KOd by, say, 50% of the cast during enemy phase. And there's also a unit that KOs, say, 90% of the cast during player phase (let's say they're in that unit disadvantage color), but only gets KOd by 20% of the cast during enemy phase. I would go for the second unit. The second is worse during the 'best case,' but arena is as much about having all-combats be the 'best case' as being able to recover from 'worst case' situations. (Sometimes the enemy start locations or movement simply don't allow you to slowly pick them off one by one, for example, in which case Rein can afford to run into a defense tile and face-tank, but Olwen explodes if anything looks at her funny.)

Rein also has a better future than Olwen: 4* means better chance of getting a nature upgrade and more merges.

Edited by DehNutCase

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I'm thinking Olwen may be the best route though, I have sub optimal IV's for Reinhardt already. Plus, I'll already need to spend 20k feathers on Xander. He needs his weapon to be the world beater he is on cavalry teams. Plus, I have multiple Hana's so I can easily give Life and Death 2 over. 

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Except that a properly built Olwen on a horse team beats Reinhardt whether or not Reinhardt is on a horse team.

I mistyped there, what I meant to say was: Since Rein not on horse > Olwen not on horse, unoptimized Rein on horse should beat unoptimized Olwen on horse.

Edit: But yes, Olwen does have a very good spread even with just +4/+4 buffs, actually better than Reins since she can utilize 3CD specials. Rein just has a better floor and very similar ceiling. (Since he can duplicate a lot of optimal Olwen's matchups by just smacking one of the 110+ units he 1RKOs first, and using his charged special to KO the other ones.)

Edited by DehNutCase

*snip*

Using your numbers, if I have a 5* unit that kills 100% of units on player phase but gets killed by 50% on enemy phase vs a 4* unit that would kill 90% on player phase but killed by 20% on enemy phase if he were 5* then I would go for the 5* without hesitation because the second scenario isn't worth 20k feathers, especially since you shouldn't have a Brave unit taking hits on enemy phase either way. 

Not to mention you're grossly overestimating Reinhardt's bulk compared to Olwen's. Speed is arguably a more important defensive stat than defense or resistance. Olwen gets doubled by virtually nothing, which drastically inflates her bulk whereas Reinhardt is one of the slowest units in the game and gets doubled by a fair amount of units, which makes him easier to kill than his defensive stats would suggest.

Just now, Sleypnyr said:

I'm thinking Olwen may be the best route though, I have sub optimal IV's for Reinhardt already. Plus, I'll already need to spend 20k feathers on Xander. He needs his weapon to be the world beater he is on cavalry teams. Plus, I have multiple Hana's so I can easily give Life and Death 2 over. 

I think that's the right decision. Either way Olwen and Reinhardt are both solid units though, so though I've been debating with Nutcase over finer details and optimization, I think you'll do great with either of them on your team!

For my optimal cavalry team it's look liked Olwen/Xander/Eliwood/Cecilia?

I'm pretty ok with levelling anything. Have a 5* Peri, also go ursula, Frederick, Clarine, Priscilla, Sully and stuff as well....or should there be a unit I should focus on trying to pull? I know you gave an Olwen rollout, what would you run on the other 3?

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

Using your numbers, if I have a 5* unit that kills 100% of units on player phase but gets killed by 50% on enemy phase vs a 4* unit that would kill 90% on player phase but killed by 20% on enemy phase if he were 5* then I would go for the 5* without hesitation because the second scenario isn't worth 20k feathers, especially since you shouldn't have a Brave unit taking hits on enemy phase either way. 

Not to mention you're grossly overestimating Reinhardt's bulk compared to Olwen's. Speed is arguably a more important defensive stat than defense or resistance. Olwen gets doubled by virtually nothing, which drastically inflates her bulk whereas Reinhardt is one of the slowest units in the game and gets doubled by a fair amount of units, which makes him easier to kill than his defensive stats would suggest.

I think that's the right decision. Either way Olwen and Reinhardt are both solid units though, so though I've been debating with Nutcase over finer details and optimization, I think you'll do great with either of them on your team!

You can't 'drastically inflate' the bulk of someone with 49 physical bulk (after L&D 3). This is everyone and their grandmother 1HKOs her range. Not being doubled doesn't matter if only one hit is needed, kind of like how breaker skills don't work properly if you're facing people who 1HKO you. Speed is an important defense stat, yes, but only if you can avoid the 1HKO.

Rein's higher defense stats (and 4 higher hp), means he gets the bigger gains from standing on a fort tile, and even when he's not standing on a fort tile, +6 all stats Rein only dies to 13 units (due to being +def/-res, IRRC, but =Rein is the same, basically he avoids 2 physical KOs but dies to 2 more magic units).

Olwen dies to 24 despite her better speed. (Also +6 buffed to all). Without L&D the number drops to 17. (Interestingly, without buffs, L&D does help her avoid some 2HKOs due to her boosted speed.)